Tockwith Show directors vote to cancel 2024 event

The organisers of Tockwith Show have voted to cancel next year’s event.

The agricultural show, which began in 1945, showcases a range of livestock and horticulture, but visitors will have to wait until at least 2025 to go again.

It follows the directors’ recent proposal to take a one-year break after five committee members stepped down from their roles.

The current committee chair, Georgina Watson, who is one of those stepping down, said:

“Although it’s obviously disappointing to have to cancel the 2024 show, this does give us a really valuable opportunity to take a look at every aspect of the show and, in particular, to find ways of spreading the workload.”

The decision was unanimously approved at the committee’s annual general meeting on Wednesday.

The remaining committee hopes the hiatus will offer enough time to recruit new volunteers, as well as review the current content and structure of the show to decide what may need to change.

Ms Watson added:

“Clearly the key to ensuring the show’s future is to recruit more people; that way we can make sure that small groups, rather than individuals, share what at times can be hard work.

“We want to ensure that being involved in the show remains both exciting and enjoyable for everyone.”

 One of the directors, Mike Best, said several new people have already come forward to offer their help.

He added:

“The committee has decided to make the focus of 2024 a number of smaller events to help promote the show and raise awareness within the community.”

Ms Watson also said the committee wants to ensure new recruits “can bring in fresh ideas”, adding:

“The show has been incredibly successful in the past, but that doesn’t mean there’s not room to adapt and improve what we are offering.

“The year’s break means we can throw everything up in the air and see what emerges.

“I think this is an exciting opportunity and I’m confident that Tockwith Show will be back better than ever in 2025.”


Read more:


 

Organisers gear up for first Ripley Show in three years

Ripley Show will make its return this weekend after a three-year break – and organisers say enthusiasm has never been higher.

With a sunny forecast and plenty of advance tickets already sold, the show field at Ripley is set to be packed with visitors on Sunday.

Having last been held in 2019 before the covid pandemic, the show is returning in its familiar format, with livestock and equestrian classes, a companion dog show, and horticulture and craft competitions.

The main ring will feature displays of heavy horses, a hound parade and an “anti-gravity” show from Savage Skills.

Show secretary Tammy Smith said:

“The preparations are going well. We’re all a little bit rusty after three years off and trying to remember what we all should be doing, but everybody’s pitching in and turning up.

“It’s amazing, all the volunteers are incredible – they just arrive and get on with sorting everything out.

“It’s great to be getting back to it.”

Ms Smith said while some of the volunteers had moved on since the last show, there had been a number of new people offering to help and Knaresborough Young Farmers was also bringing its members to keep things running smoothly.


Read more:


With the forecast looking sunny and hot, with highs of 30C, Ms Smith said the organisers will be keeping an eye on conditions to ensure animals, exhibitors and visitors were kept safe and well.

Tickets for the show are available in advance on the website, which organisers said will speed up entry on the day.

Some tickets will still be available on the gate at £15 for adults and £6 for children aged between five and 16. Family tickets are available and Ripley Show also offers membership, with benefits including preferential car parking.

Aldborough and Boroughbridge Show cancelled for second year

Aldborough and Boroughbridge Agricultural Show has become the latest major event in the Harrogate district to fall victim to covid this year.

This year’s show, which would have been the 107th, was due to take place on July 25 at Newby Hall.

The event includes animal judging as well as craft tents and stallholders selling food and drink.

This is the second year the show has been cancelled due to covid.

The show committee announced the decision on Facebook. It said:

“It is with an exceptionally heavy heart that the committee have decided to cancel the show this year.

“This has not been a decision that has been taken lightly and all considerations and options have been considered.

“We are still discussing the possibility of a virtual event or perhaps something later in the year, however at this time I can confirm that our full show will not be going ahead on July 25.

“We will confirm next year’s date shortly and we really do hope that that show will be our best one yet.”

The event follows the likes of Ripley Show and Masham Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally in being cancelled for a second year running.


Read more:


 

Tockwith Show sends out SOS for volunteers

Tockwith Show has sent out an urgent SOS for volunteers to enable this year’s event to go ahead.

The show committee will vote on Wednesday next week on whether to go ahead with this year’s event in August, which would be the 75th show to be held.

Covid has already created uncertainty but there is the added risk of cancellation due to a shortage of helpers.

Allan Robinson, chairman of the committee, said:

“It’s likely that covid means there will be a need for even tighter controls on the day and at the moment we just don’t have enough people to guarantee that.

“We not only want new members on the committee, there are several areas of the show that need a steward to organise and supervise things and we also need people who are prepared to help in setting up the show and making sure it all runs smoothly on the day.”

Tockwith village is on the fringes of the Harrogate district, between Wetherby and York.

The annual show is a major part of civic life in the district and includes agricultural and horticultural competitions as well as arts and crafts and family fun.

it has been held annually every year since 1945, with two exceptions, including last year.


Read more:


Mr Robinson added:

“Tockwith Show reflects a huge part of the heritage of this region: farming is still a major part of our economy and our community, and it would be a real tragedy if we weren’t able to go ahead this year.

“But although it’s only held on one day there is inevitably a great deal of work that goes into the organisation to ensure it runs smoothly and safely.”

For further information on volunteering, call Mr Robinson on 01423 358 889 or contact him on email at allan.robinson2016@hotmail.com.