More Harrogate covid vaccine clinics to be available amid travel concerns

Health bosses in North Yorkshire have said more covid vaccine appointments will be available for Harrogate residents amid concern over a lack of clinics.

Officials at NHS Humber and North Yorkshire Integrated Care Board said three pharmacies in Harrogate have been holding appointments for those eligible for a spring booster vaccine.

However, residents have contacted the Stray Ferret over concerns that the NHS booking website only showed clinics in West Yorkshire.

Currently, those who are vulnerable and over-75 are eligible for an appointment.

Those who wish to book a vaccine have to do so through the NHS website or by calling 119.


Read more:


But, residents in Harrogate who have tried to book a booster vaccine have found appointments are only available in Bradford or Leeds.

NHS officials said much of the vaccine campaign has been focused on those in care homes or who are housebound.

However, they added more local appointments should become available “over the next two or three weeks” to those who are eligible and will mostly be in GPs and pharmacies.

In response to the concern over travel, a spokesperson for Humber and North Yorkshire ICB said:

“Three pharmacies in Harrogate have had appointments available through the NHS National Booking Service and have been actively delivering clinics.

“However, over the next two to three weeks, patients in Harrogate who are eligible for their COVID spring booster should have access to more local appointments when they visit the online NHS National Booking Service or contact NHS 119.

“With GP practices in the Harrogate district mainly concentrating their efforts on delivering vaccines to care home residents and patients who are housebound, clinics for over 75s and those who are immunosuppressed will mostly be delivered by community pharmacy teams, though some GP practices will be running clinics for their eligible patients and they will be contacted directly when it’s their turn.

“The Spring campaign commenced on 3 April for all care home residents, housebound and immunosuppressed patients in line with JCVI guidance. All other over 75s became eligible for vaccination w/c 17 April and we are confident everyone who’s eligible will be able to receive a vaccination prior to the end of June when this campaign ends.”

Those are eligible for a spring covid booster are advised to check the NHS booking service online or call 119, if travelling is an issue.

More information on covid vaccine appointments can be found on the NHS England website here.

Covid vaccine banners stolen from Pateley Bridge

Two large banners advertising covid booster vaccinations have been pulled down and stolen from Pateley Bridge.

The banners were attached to the walls outside Pateley Bridge Pharmacy on the town’s High Street and outside Pateley Bridge and Bewerley Memorial Hall on Park Road.

Both banners advertised vaccines at the pharmacy, which has been at the forefront of the local covid campaign.

Covid banner stolen Pateley

The banner attached to the pharmacy.

North Yorkshire Police today appealed for information about the thefts, which occurred overnight on either Monday or Tuesday last week.

It did not comment on the possible reasons for the theft.

The banner attached to the Memorial Hall.

The banners were bright yellow and measured approximately 1 metre x 2 metres.

Police said:

“Anybody with information about this crime can email bill.hickson@northyorkshire.police.uk, call 101, or report on-line at www.northyorkshire.police.uk. Please quote reference 12230080065.

“Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously via Crimestoppers UK on 0800 555 111 or online at the Crimestoppers website.”


Read more:


 

Harrogate town centre shop to close due to low footfall

A Harrogate shop is to close down after two-and-a-half years in business, citing tough trading conditions. 

Foxy Vintage & Interiors, which is on the corner of Commercial Street and Cheltenham Mount, opened in 2020 selling vintage furniture and retro collectables. It quickly made a mark for itself, winning the Harrogate At Christmas shop window competition in 2021. 

But covid and the soaring cost of living have combined to starve the town centre of much of the trade it used to enjoy. 

Photo of the exterior of Foxy Vintage & Interiors in Harrogate, with 'Closing Down Sale' signs in the window.

The shop is offering up to 50% off everything until stock is sold.

Owner Alex Clarke told The Stray Ferret: 

“It’s mainly down to the economy. We just haven’t been seeing the footfall – even since before Christmas. It’s really sad to go. We’ve got a lot of lovely customers who love coming in. It’s a real shame for them, because there aren’t that many small independent shops doing what we do. 

“We haven’t gone bust – we could have gone on trading. But you just don’t know what next year’s going to bring.” 

The shop will remain open while the stock is sold, with discounts of 50% on all vintage items and up to 50% on the rest. Ms Clarke said she hoped to be able to sell everything by the end of the month. 

She added: 

“One thing that’s really important to stress is that people need to support their local indies as much as they can. They don’t have to spend much – every little bit helps.” 


Read more:


 

Plaque recognises Harrogate Convention Centre’s ‘invaluable’ covid hospital role

A new plaque recognises the “invaluable contribution” played by Harrogate Convention Centre during the covid pandemic.

The plaque was unveiled yesterday to coincide with the third anniversary of the convention centre being converted from an event and conference space into a 500-bed NHS Nightingale Hospital within three weeks.

The hospital — one of seven built across the country — did not treat a single covid patient but was used to carry out non-coronavirus diagnostic tests and outpatient appointments.

It was stood down in April 2021 before being dismantled. An inquiry later revealed the facility cost £31.6 million.

The convention centre was also chosen as part of the government’s events research programme pilot to help get audiences back safely into the wider events sector as restrictions eased.

Cllr Cooper unveils the plaque

Councillor Richard Cooper, leader of Harrogate Borough Council and chair of Harrogate Convention Centre board, unveiled the plaque. He said:

“I am delighted to be able to unveil the plaque that recognise the invaluable contribution that Harrogate Convention Centre made during the covid pandemic.

“It was no small feat to transform an exhibition and events venue into a fully operational hospital within 21 days. Even more so, when the advice at the time was to stay safe and stay at home.”

Harrogate Convention Centre Nightingale plaque

Craige Richardson, executive director of estates and facilities at Leeds Teaching Hospitals, said:

“As lead trust for the region, LTHT played an instrumental role in the commissioning process, from the initial site selection to the construction works and supply of medical gases.

“The Nightingale team worked around the clock to build the hospital and plan how it would work clinically. At times it seemed like an impossible task, and it was down to the commitment and hard work of every involved that it was up and running within 21-days.”

The hospital was built in collaboration with BAM, Leeds Teaching Hospitals, the British Army, NG Bailey, Silcock Leedham, Roses Medical and Brebur.

Pic shows: Staff from Harrogate Convention Centre and officials at the plaque unveiling.


Read more:


 

Hundreds of job losses as Harrogate company goes under

As many as 450 people have lost their jobs after Harrogate telemarketing company Amvoc crashed into administration, leaving employees in shock today. 

Staff received an email at 10pm last night from chief executive Damian Brockway informing them all the company’s offices, in Harrogate, Leeds and Manchester, would close with immediate effect, citing “covid debts” as the cause. 

The email, seen by the Stray Ferret, said: 

“We have appointed administrators with immediate effect who will now be responsible for paying wages this week and all outstanding bonuses.

“I am gutted. Words fail me.

“Unfortunately our covid debts were too high and repayments not high enough. We have been issued with immediate request to pay all outstanding within seven days which is impossible.

“I cannot tell you how upset this makes me.”

The speed of the company’s demise surprised many – it was still advertising for new staff as recently as last week – and staff expressed their shock in social media posts. One said:

“I, as many others will be during this time, am now frantically looking for work. With huge overheads, a small child to support and a mortgage to pay, I am very concerned about the coming weeks.”

Mr Brockway set up Amvoc, the trading name of A Marketing Vocation Ltd, from a small office in Dacre in 2010. It sold telemarketing services, initially in the legal sector, and grew rapidly, moving first to Pateley Bridge and then to large offices at New York Mills near Summerbridge. 

It opened a new head office on Cardale Park in Harrogate in 2015, a facility in Leeds in 2018 and an office in Manchester in 2022.  It also had plans to expand to London.

Amvoc’s clients have included BP, Barclays, Virgin Media, Leeds Beckett University, and both the Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties. 

The company has been approached for comment. 


Read more:


 

Man fined £872 for breaching covid lockdown rules in Harrogate

A man has been fined for breaching coronavirus regulations in Harrogate during the third national lockdown two years ago.

Thomas Boston, 33, initially denied a charge of having two or more people in a property on Coppice Drive, Harrogate, on the evening of February 27, 2021.

England was placed into a third lockdown on January 5, 2021.

Police charged Boston with having six people in his flat after responding to reports of breaches of the coronavirus regulations.

At a hearing at Harrogate Magistrates Court yesterday, the court heard Boston, who gave his address as Ripley Road, Knaresborough, had changed his plea to guilty.

Magistrates fined him £872.


Read more:


 

Plea for Harrogate hospital visitors to wear masks after people refuse to follow guidance

Health bosses have issued a plea to visitors to Harrogate District Hospital to wear face masks amid a growing number of people refusing to follow guidance.

Officials at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said they had seen increasing number of people being verbally aggressive towards staff when they are asked to wear a face mask or replace one after removing it.

The plea comes as the hospital has warned that covid remains a “significant threat” and that it is seeing further admissions for the virus and flu going into winter.

Dr Jacqueline Andrews, medical director at HDFT said: 

“We may no longer be at the height of the pandemic, but covid continues to be a threat for the people in our care and we must do all we can to protect them and the staff who look after them.

“Should a patient contract covid from a visitor, it can lead to a prolonged stay at the hospital due to the need for them isolate. This can impact on bed availability for people needing other forms of treatment.

“Wearing a face mask is simple to do and can make a real difference. If you are asked to wear a mask, please remember it is for the protection of the loved one you are visiting. We are merely asking visitors to follow mask wearing guidance in certain areas of our hospital and we will not tolerate aggressive or abusive behaviour towards our staff at HDFT.

“I would also encourage anyone who is eligible to get a covid booster and a flu vaccination to do so to protect themselves and their loved ones.”


Read more:


Visitors to inpatient wards are expected to wear masks as part of hospital guidance unless they are exempt.

The Harrogate district covid infection rate is currently 35 cases per 100,000 people.

Harrogate hospital has ‘robust plan’ to tackle winter demand, say officials

Harrogate hospital bosses have given assurances that a ‘robust plan’ is in place for winter as it faces increased demand.

The hospital says it expects to face further pressures from seasonal flu, covid and staff absences.

It also faces long waiting lists for operations and high demand at accident and emergency.

However, a spokesperson for Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said the organisation has put a plan in place to cope with demand.

It comes as NHS chiefs wrote to health bosses across the country this week conceding that some hospitals may struggle to cope this winter.

‘Robust winter plan’

In Harrogate, the hospital is currently dealing with a 90% bed occupancy rate, high demand at A&E and a long waiting list for operations.

A spokesperson for HDFT said despite some of the winter pressures, a plan was in place to help maintain services for patients.

They said:

“We have faced and dealt with significant challenges over the last few years due to the COVID-19 pandemic and our recovery from it – in particular, reducing our waiting lists and waiting times for treatment.

“We will undoubtedly face further challenges in the months ahead as winter is always a busy time of the year as we deal with a variety of seasonal infections such as flu, in addition to all other regular activity.

“The trust has a robust winter plan in place to ensure we are able to maintain our services so that our patients’ care is not disrupted and all areas are staffed to safe levels and monitored throughout all shifts.

“During the winter period, staff absences at the trust can create pressure for our teams; for instance, fewer nursing and medical staff means that whilst we are still able to treat our patients for their illness or condition and ensure their safety, we are sometimes not able to provide the level of holistic support that we would like.

“Currently, bed occupancy at our hospitals is around 90%. Due to the increased number of planned operations that are being performed we have more patients occupying beds following their surgery.

“However, bed occupancy is also impacted by patients who no longer require hospital care, but are unable to be discharged as they do not have a suitable location where they can continue their recovery, such as a residential care home, or appropriate home care to support them in their own homes.”


Read more:


The trust has already sought to introduce a home care service to free up beds and has trialled an emergency department streaming service for less serious injuries and illnesses at A&E.

The hospital also continues to urge people to call 111 for non-urgent illnesses.

It comes as NHS chiefs, regulators and Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, wrote to hospital bosses this week reassuring them that staff would not face disciplinary action if care standards fell due to “significantly increased national pressure”.

The letter said:

“In such challenging times, when you may need to depart from established procedures to care for people, we understand some could be fearful that they will be referred to your regulator. 

“Please be assured that your professional code and principles of practice are there to guide and support your judgments and decision-making in all circumstances. 

“This includes taking into account local realities and the need at times to adapt practice at times of significantly increased national pressure.”

Harrogate hospital urges visitors to wear masks amid winter covid fears

Harrogate District Hospital has urged people to wear face masks on inpatient wards and practice social distancing amid fears of more covid cases during the winter.

Officials at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust have reiterated the advice for those visiting wards for the protection of staff and patients.

In a statement, the trust said visitors should follow the guidance in order to prevent the spread of the virus within the hospital.

It said:

“Covid has not gone away and it is important that we protect everyone who enters our hospitals.

“As such, anyone entering inpatient areas, such as wards must wear a mask, ensure they sanitise their hands and maintain social distancing.

“Following these protocols will help us to protect our patients, but also our staff, as reducing the risk of our staff catching covid will ensure our patients’ care is not disrupted.”


Read more:


The move comes as health bosses are urging those eligible to book a covid booster vaccine ahead of winter.

In Harrogate, vaccinations are available at the Great Yorkshire Showground site.

Great Yorkshire Showground covid vaccine site

This week, walk-in appointments are available every day until Thursday from 8.15am until 5.30pm.

The site will be carrying out vaccinations until November 23 when it closes.

People aged 50 and over, pregnant women, carers, frontline health and care workers, care home residents and people of all ages who are vulnerable are eligible for a covid booster jab now.

Those who are able to book their vaccinations can do so via the NHS website.

The Harrogate district covid infection rate is currently 61 cases per 10,000 people.

Harrogate hospital urges people to stay away from A&E amid ‘very busy’ week

Harrogate hospital bosses are urging people to stay away from its emergency department this week unless it is a life-threatening injury or illness.

Officials at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said they are expecting a busy week, which may cause long waiting times.

It comes as health leaders in the district warned that covid and flu cases may increase at Harrogate hospital this winter.

In a statement, the trust urged people with non-threatening injuries to stay away from the emergency department.

A spokesperson said:

“This week we are expecting our hospital in Harrogate to be very busy. As a result, visitors to our emergency department with less urgent issues may experience longer waiting times than usual.

“We know that visitors to our emergency department can be in pain, stressed or scared, and our dedicated time will do everything they can to help.

“Your health is our utmost priority and all we ask in return is our staff are treated respectfully as they try to do their job.”


Read more:


Health managers in Harrogate have said they expect to see more covid patients in hospitals in the coming weeks.

Dr Bruce Willoughby, Harrogate GP and part of the Humber and North Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership, said:

“Health and care services in North Yorkshire and York, like everywhere, are already extremely busy. We do expect to see more cases of covid in the coming weeks as people mix freely again and spend more time indoors as the weather gets colder. The risk of catching covid is highest indoors and in crowded places.

“More people are likely to get flu this winter as fewer people will have built up natural immunity to it during the pandemic. The best time to have the flu vaccine is in the autumn or early winter before it starts spreading.”

Officials have urged people who are eligible to get a covid booster vaccine this autumn.

In Harrogate, vaccinations are available at the Great Yorkshire Showground until November 23.

People aged 50 and over, pregnant women, carers, frontline health and care workers, care home residents and people of all ages who are vulnerable are eligible for a covid jab now.

Those who are able to book their vaccinations can do so via the NHS website.