Harrogate district covid rate almost trebles in a month

The rate of covid-19 in the Harrogate district has climbed to 997 per 100,000 people, according to the latest figures from North Yorkshire County Council.

On March 1, the rate was 343 per 100,000 people, the lowest it had been since September 2021.

But cases have risen due to the BA.2 subvariant of Omicron, a more contagious strain of Omicron that was circulating in January and February.

Council health officials also believe a change in social behaviour, as well as waning vaccine protection, are behind the rise in case numbers.

Second highest in the county

The Harrogate district has the second-highest infection rate in North Yorkshire. Selby is the next highest at 1,015. The England average is 879.

The government no longer publishes daily data on how many people have caught the virus.

From Wednesday, testing sites across North Yorkshire, including on Tower Street in Harrogate and Ripon’s coach park, will close.


Read more:


Whilst covid rates have continued to rise, Dr Victoria Turner, public health consultant at North Yorkshire County Council, said there were early signs rates were “flattening off”.

However, she said waning vaccine immunity, a change in behaviour and more social contacts are still driving cases up.

She told a meeting on Friday:

“There has been a general behaviour change amongst the population. People are out and about more, and having more social contacts.

“There is also potentially a little bit of an effect of waning vaccines which are still holding strong in terms of preventing serious illness, but there is potentially some waning for those who had their booster doses first in terms of acquiring infection.”

Covid testing sites in Harrogate district to close next week

Covid testing sites across North Yorkshire, including on Tower Street in Harrogate and Ripon’s coach park, will be closed next week.

As free testing comes to an end from Friday, April 1, the last day for the testing sites to operate will be Wednesday, March 30, North Yorkshire County Council‘s Outbreak Management Advisory Board heard today.

Cllr Michael Harrison, the county council’s executive member for adult services and health integration, asked whether testing would still be made available for care homes and other key groups, such as schools, but was told an announcement on this had not been made yet. There was also no information about any free testing for care and education settings.

Public health consultant Victoria Turner said:

“I think it’s fair to say that is the one we are going to be looking at most closely. We are expecting care guidance coming out next week as well on this.

“From what was said in February we expect there to be some symptomatic testing remaining for care home staff but that’s about as detailed a picture as we get at the moment. Care homes are going to be the one area we still have a particular focus on from April 1.

“We are still seeing quite a lot of outbreaks in care settings, or rather whenever there’s a high degree of community transmission there’s an inevitability that that does affect care settings as well.

“We were hoping that we could have done some of that planning before April 1 but unfortunately the guidance just isn’t out yet.”


Read more:


The outbreak management advisory board, which was set up to recommend on the county’s covid response and communications, has also been stood down. It had been meeting monthly but members agreed there was little need to continue as national restrictions were removed.

However, the group said it will remain in abeyance, rather than being disbanded, so it can be brought back into action if required, such as with the emergence of a new variant.

Infection rate almost trebles this month

At present, cases are still rising, though at a slower rate than previously.

The Harrogate district’s infection rate, which was 343 per 100,000 people at the start of the month, is now at 923.

Hospitalisations are also rising at a slower rate, with 30 patients with covid currently being treated at Harrogate District Hospital.

Deaths among people who have tested positive for covid within the last 28 days remain steady, at an average of one each day across North Yorkshire.

Richard Webb, corporate director of health and adult services, said:

“Many of us are continuing to work on the impact of acute and long-term covid in many different ways.”

Meanwhile, covid vaccination centres are preparing to begin giving spring booster jabs to over-75s, and vulnerable children aged between five and 11 in the county are now being given their first doses.

Vaccine sites in Harrogate district gearing up for spring boosters

Vaccination sites in the Harrogate district are preparing to get busy again following the announcement of spring booster jabs.

Covid clinics in Harrogate, Ripon, Knaresborough and Pateley Bridge have wound down or paused since December.

But that is about to change after the government said people aged 75 and over, care home residents and people with weakened immune systems can now book fourth jabs.

Yorkshire Health Network, which is a federation of 17 GP practices in the Harrogate district, operates sites at the Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate and Ripon Races.

The showground will have its next clinic from 8.30am to 5pm on April 1.

Vaccinations started at Ripon racecourse this afternoon.

The Ripon Races site.

Dates at Ripon Races are being finalised so they don’t clash with horse race meetings.

Tim Yarrow, operations manager at Yorkshire Health Network, said:

“We anticipate uptake to be high in the 75 and overs as Harrogate has a large population in that cohort.”


Read more:


Knaresborough and Pateley Bridge

chain lane knaresborough vaccine

Homecare Pharmacy Services’ site in Knaresborough.

Homecare Pharmacy’ Service‘s vaccination site at Chain Lane in Knaresborough is to add Monday covid clinics to its existing Friday and Saturday clinics. Bookings are encouraged to avoid having to wait.

Pateley Bridge Pharmacy, which paused its vaccination programme in December, plans to start again soon.

Samina Khan, who owns the pharmacy, said:

“I think we will restart in April, with bookings from March 25, but we are still finalising details.”

Infections rocketing

It comes as infection rates continue to soar in the Harrogate district.

The seven-day infection rate is now 885 per 100,000 people. It was 343 at the start of the month.

It is the highest rate in North Yorkshire and above the England rate of 833.

Harrogate West and Pannal Ash is the worst affected area in the county. It has recorded 135 positive cases in the last seven days.

Pateley Bridge vaccine heroes treated to thank-you meal

About 60 volunteers who gave up their time to help administer over 10,000 covid jabs in Pateley Bridge have been treated to a thank-you meal.

Samina Khan, owner of Pateley Bridge Pharmacy, and Dr Lewis Caplin, a GP who played a key role in the Nidderdale town’s vaccination programme, organised the event.

The pharmacy wound down its programme in December but is now set to provide more clinics following the announcement that people aged 75 and over, care home residents and those with weakened immune systems can book spring boosters.

Pateley Bridge Pharmacy was awarded an NHS England contract to give jabs at its third time of applying.

Some opposed the move, saying local people could attend the GP-run vaccine centres in Harrogate and Ripon. But not everyone was able to get to those locations easily.

Ms Khan said:

“A lot of our patients were relying on transport to get to the other places and it was costing them £60 for round trips, which is a lot of money.”

The pharmacy began giving jabs in April and administered 350 a day at its peak.


Read more:


Ms Khan said if Dr Caplin, a retired GP in Pateley Bridge, hadn’t agreed to oversee the vaccinations “I don’t think I would have been able to pursue it”.

The volunteers, who included vaccinators, marshals and administrative staff, enjoyed a free Indian meal at Cardamon Black restaurant in Harrogate on Sunday.

Ms Khan, who has also given volunteers gift vouchers, said:

“It was just to say thank you to them because they have given up their time to help protect the local community.”

The pharmacy plans to start providing jabs again in April.

All photos by Natasha Audsley

Pateley Bridge vaccine volunteers

Pure Gym to open in former Knaresborough supermarket

A Pure Gym is set to open in a former Knaresborough covid vaccine centre and Lidl supermarket.

The Lidl on York Road closed in 2018 when the supermarket relocated to a larger site nearby.

In February 2021, the site was taken over by Homecare Pharmacy Services, which administered thousands of covid jabs from a building in the car park until it moved in September last year to larger premises on Knaresborough’s Chain Lane.

In January this year, Harrogate Borough Council granted planning permission to convert the site into a gym.


Read more:


Now, documents submitted to the council have confirmed that national fitness chain, Pure Gym, will move into the site.

Pure Gym has lodged an application to the council to operate opening hours from 6am until 11pm, Monday to Sunday.

The company does not plan to increase the size inside the former Lidl unit and will instead use the existing space for the gym.

The council will make a decision on the opening hours at a later date.

The new gym would become Pure Gym’s second in the Harrogate district. The company operates a 24-hour facility on Harrogate’s Tower Street.

Harrogate district covid rate more than doubles in 12 days

The rate of covid in the Harrogate district has almost doubled in just 12 days.

Latest data published by North Yorkshire County Council shows the seven-day rate of infection was 691 per 100,000 people on March 13.

On March 1, the rate was 343 per 100,000 people, the lowest it had been since September 2021.

The Harrogate district has the highest infection rate in North Yorkshire. Ryedale is the next highest at 632. The England average is 661.

The government no longer publishes daily data on how many people have caught the virus.


Read more:


Instead, it publishes the number of infections over the past seven days. In the Harrogate district, this was 1,207 people, a rise of almost 50% on the previous week.

NHS England figures show that the most recent covid-related death took place at Harrogate District Hospital on February 28.

There have been 232 covid-related deaths at the hospital since the pandemic started almost two years ago.

Harrogate hospital bed occupancy high as winter pressures bite

Hospital bosses in Harrogate have warned that the number of patients requiring treatment for winter infections remain high.

Dr Matt Shepherd, Deputy Chief Operating Officer and consultant in emergency medicine at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said bed occupancy at the hospital remains high at 90%.

The hospital is currently dealing with patients suffering from winter infections, such as flu and coronavirus. Health officials in Harrogate recently urged people to dial 101 if their illness or injury was not serious.

According to the NHS England figures, the hospital is also treating 25 covid patients.

This comes as the district’s seven-day covid rate stands at 417 per 100,000 people, with a total of 880 covid cases in the last seven days.

Dr Shepherd said historically, pressures tended to ease during the spring. But this was now uncertain due to coronavirus and the lack of national restrictions.

He said:

“Historically, as we approach spring, the pressures have tended to reduce, however, as we are still dealing with the covid-19 pandemic this is not certain.

“Currently bed occupancy at our hospitals remain high at around 90 percent, a similar figure to February.”


Read More:


Dr Shepherd added that the pandemic was also having an effect on waiting lists. He said:

“The covid-19 pandemic certainly impacted on waiting lists for operations and one of our major priorities has been to cut the backlog.  

“The increased number of planned operations that are being performed has meant we have more patients occupying beds following their surgery.”

Dr Shepherd said the hospital also had 40 patients who no longer required care, but cannot be discharged because they do not have a suitable place to return to in order to recover.

Despite the continued pressures from covid, the hospital has since relaxed its visiting restrictions.

However, those visiting the hospital will still be required to wear a mask, sanitise their hands and abide by social distancing.

Dr Shepherd said:

“We are pleased to have recently been able to relax visiting restrictions, but anyone entering our hospitals will still need to wear a mask, ensure they sanitise their hands and maintain social distancing.  

“Following these protocols will help us to protect our patients, but also our staff. Reducing the risk of our staff catching covid-19 will help us to maintain appropriate staffing levels so our patients’ care is not disrupted.”

Harrogate hospital staff to join Parkrun to commemorate national lockdown anniversary

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust staff are set to join runners on the Harrogate Parkrun to commemorate the anniversary of the first national lockdown.

Staff will join volunteers on the Stray on Saturday, March 19, to help set up the course and help participants achieve their personal best.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson implemented the national lockdown on March 23, 2020, in an effort to protect the NHS from being overwhelmed by covid.

William Greenwood, HDFT adult community service manager and volunteer at Parkrun, said:

“Parkrun was founded on a principle of improving mental wellbeing, the physical side of it was almost secondary.

“It is all about starting the weekend on a positive note, meeting new people, taking part in a walk or run and finishing with a slice of cake and a coffee.

“Within the event itself there are lots of micro communities who all support each other.

“It is an event that is open to absolutely everyone. Every week you will likely see people walking or running with their dogs, pushing prams, supporting visually impaired people.

“Some will complete in the run in under 20 mins and others will finish in over an hour, but thanks to the tail walker no one ever finishes last and the volunteers stay to cheer everyone to the end.”


Read More:


The NHS and Parkrun already have close ties, many members of staff taking part weekly as volunteers or runners and some GP practices prescribing attendance to Parkrun events for its health and social benefits.

Next Saturday, the first 300 runners through the finish line will be gifted a sustainable Harrogate Hospital & Community Charity tote bag full of healthy goodies.

For more information on the Harrogate Parkrun, visit the event website.

New environmentally friendly business to open in Ripon

New business opens in Ripon

The Green House, Ripon

A new environmentally and ecologically-focused business will open in Ripon next week 

The Green House, at 11 North Street, is being opened on Tuesday by Patricio Maglio, one of Ripon’s hornlblowers, and his partner Rebecca Crallan.

With a planet-friendly ethos, the store will sell home and garden supplies designed to have minimal impact on the environment. 

Patricio Maglio

Patricio Maglio

Ms Crallan said:  

“Our aim is to make it easier for people in the city and surrounding villages to make greener choices without compromising on aesthetics or function,

“We have done our research on refillables that do the job, along with plastic-free sponges that don’t disintegrate and compostable cloths that have a luxury feel.”


Harrogate start-up launches sustainable skincare range

Anna Daniels

Anna Daniels

Harrogate firm Josie Rose has launched a luxury overnight face mask.

Anna Daniels founded skincare brand Josie Rose in 2019 and has now entered the emerging ‘skin minimalism’ market with its first product: a hydrating retinol overnight face mask.

The new product has already appealed to local retailers, such as Hoopers in Harrogate, and sells direct to the consumer via its website.

Anna Daniels, managing director and founder said:

“Multifunctional products such as our overnight face mask deliver great results due to the concentrated formulas, this enables a simpler skincare and beauty routine, saving customers time and money and of course meaning less products, which is a more sustainable option.


Harrogate firm wins major NHS contract

A Harrogate-based company has won an NHS contract to scale up remote patient monitoring across Scotland.

Under the three-year contract, Inhealthcare will provide technology to enable people to record relevant information in the comfort of their own homes and relay readings to NHS teams for analysis.

inhealthcare CEO Bryn Sage

The technology is being rolled out across Scotland’s health boards. The service can be used to manage illnesses including hypertension, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, heart disease, diabetes, depression, malnutrition, cancer and Covid.

Georgia Nelson, senior business development manager at Inhealthcare, said:

“Winning this contract represents another major validation of technology-enabled care and provides the foundations for many more citizens to benefit from improved health and wellbeing at home and better quality of life.”


Send your business news to contact@thestrayferret.co.uk

Bride’s disappointment as Harrogate Register Office maintains covid guest limit

A bride-to-be has expressed disappointment after discovering Harrogate Register Office is still imposing covid restrictions on the number of wedding guests.

Deanna Contreras and Sean Wilkinson are due to tie the knot at the register office on May 27.

They have been told the maximum amount of guests permitted remains 32 rather than 55 — which was the number pre-covid.

Ms Contreras, who got engaged shortly before covid struck two years ago, said:

“We were supposed to get married last year but postponed it because we wanted all our family there.

“It never entered my head that the limit would still be 32 people.”

It means the couple have had to restrict family invitations as well as partners of guests.

Harrogate Register Office

The register office on Park Parade.

Ms Contreras, who lives in Starbeck, said:

“We thought ‘let’s wait and have a happy time in 2022’ — and it will be a happy time but this has put a dampener on it.

“I’m not going to get stressed about it. I’m 56 and have been married before but I do feel sorry for young brides.

“I think this is a bit over the top. We can’t keep putting everything on hold for covid.”


Read more:


Last month Ms Contreras wrote to Harrogate Borough Council leader Richard Cooper about the matter.

Cllr Cooper replied to say:

“From my point of view I cannot see what possible justification there can be for restrictions in numbers to be given when all national restrictions have been lifted and the event is three months away.”

He added he would contact the leader of North Yorkshire County Council, which is responsible for the register office, urging it to think again.

‘Reviewing arrangements’

Neil Irving, assistant director for policy, partnerships and communities at the county council, told the Stray Ferret:

“Until April 1 we are required by law explicitly to consider covid transmission risks around public events.

“Government continues to advise that space and ventilation are important factors in minimising covid transmission.

“We are currently reviewing all our arrangements for events such as weddings and to bring in changes from the beginning of April, but for the present we continue to take steps to minimise covid transmission as rates, though falling, continue to be relatively high.”