Police have issued an appeal after an attempted house burglary on Bramham Drive in Jennyfields this week.
The incident happened on Monday between 2.15pm and 3pm.
Officers said “significant damage” was caused to the doors of the house, but the suspect failed to gain entry.
Police added that a driver of a dark coloured Seat Leon with a registration containing “70” was seen at the time of the attempted burglary.
The driver is described as a young white man with a round face, about 5ft 8in tall, with short dark hair and wearing a dark hoodie.
A North Yorkshire Police statement added:
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should email elizabeth.parry@northyorkshire.police.uk or call 101, select option 2, and ask for Elizabeth Parry.
“If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
“Please quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12230027326 when providing details.”
Read more:
- Cyclist seriously injured in collision with van near Weeton
- Two men jailed after dealing cocaine in Harrogate
Two men jailed after dealing cocaine in Harrogate
Two drug dealers have been jailed after being caught with thousands of pounds worth of cocaine in Harrogate.
Angel Angelov and Tsonko Peev, both 25 and from Leeds, were sent to prison after pleading guilty to possessing Class A drugs with intent to supply.
On the afternoon of November 10 last year, officers from North Yorkshire Police’s Operation Expedite team, which tackles county lines drug dealing, stopped a vehicle on its way to Harrogate from Leeds.
The driver, Angelov, was searched, and found with 26 bags of cocaine in a mint tin and a lock knife.

Some of the cocaine seized by North Yorkshire Police.
As the investigation continued, officers stopped another vehicle on Leeds Road in Harrogate on December 5. Inside were Angelov and Peev.
This time, Angelov was found with 20 bags of cocaine hidden in the lining of his coat, and a further 11 bags were found hidden by the handbrake.
Read more:
- Cyclist seriously injured in collision with van near Weeton
- Police urge drivers to ‘put their phones away’ after Ripon Snapchat death
Both were charged and pleaded guilty at York Crown Court yesterday (February 7) to the offences.
Angelov was sentenced to five years and three months in prison. Meanwhile, Peev was jailed for two years and three months.
PC George Frost, from the Operation Expedite team, said:
Teen arrested on cocaine charge after car overturns in Ripon“Following a swift investigation, two drug dealers have been taken off the streets of Harrogate, along with thousands of pounds worth of Class A drugs.
“Dealers like Angelov and Peev seek to exploit the vulnerabilities of users and their addictions for their own selfish financial gain. The effects of drug dealing and drug use are felt far and wide, leading to violence, anti-social behaviour and acquisitive crime.
“I hope the people of Harrogate and wider North Yorkshire feel reassured by the result of the investigation and the jail sentences. We are committed to protecting the vulnerable in our communities, and are working night and day to keep drug dealers out of the area.”
A man has been arrested on suspicion of supplying Class A drugs after officers came across a crashed car in Ripon.
Shortly after 3pm yesterday, North Yorkshire Police officers on patrol near Lark Lane in Ripon located a red VW Golf car that had been involved in a collision and was on its roof.
A police statement today said:
“One of the occupants made off from the scene. Following a search of the area, officers located a large quantity of suspected cannabis and cocaine.
“The other occupant, a 19-year-old local man, was arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply a Class A drug. He has since been released on bail while enquiries continue.”
Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting reference number 12230015627.

Police closed the road while the incident took place.
Read more:
- Ripon councillor calls for action amid concerns about broadband installation
- Long-awaited refurbishment of Ripon council flats approved
Man, 76, arrested after ‘unexplained death’ of woman in Harrogate
North Yorkshire Police is investigating the “sudden and unexplained death” of a 77-year-old woman at a flat in Harrogate.
Officers were called to the property on Dene Park in Bilton at 2.49pm on Monday this week. Enquiries at the flat are still ongoing.
A 76-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the sudden death inquiry and released under investigation.
A police statement today added:
“At this stage, the cause of death remains unexplained.
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is urged to make a report via the North Yorkshire Police website or by calling 101, option 1, and speak to the Force Control Room.
“If you would prefer to remain anonymous, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Please quote refence number 12230013571 when providing details.”
Read more:
- Antique safe stolen from Harrogate
- Harrogate’s former Kimberley Hotel being used for drugs and crime, say police
Arrest warrant issued for suspected Harrogate cocaine dealer
A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a suspected cocaine dealer from Harrogate.
Yasin Hussain, 30, of Leadhall Crescent, failed to appear before Harrogate Magistrates Court on November 3, 2022, charged with two counts of possession with intent to supply a class A drug.
He is also wanted by West Yorkshire Police after he failed to appear at court for motoring offences.
North Yorkshire Police has appealed to the public for any information on his whereabouts.
A police statement added:
“Extensive police enquiries are ongoing to trace Hussain in both the Harrogate and Leeds area, including Harehills, Gipton, Roundhay and Armley where he is known to have links.
“Checks are taking place with the Border Force as it is known he travelled outside the UK in recent months before returning.
“Officers are also continuing to liaise with Hussain’s solicitor with a request to hand himself in.
“Anyone with information about Hussain’s whereabouts or possible sightings of him, please make an online report via the North Yorkshire Police website or call 101, option 1, and speak to the force control room.
“If you would prefer to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
“Please quote reference number 12220195320 when providing details.”
Read more:
- Antique safe stolen from Harrogate
- Harrogate’s former Kimberley Hotel being used for drugs and crime, say police
Harrogate’s former Kimberley Hotel being used for drugs and crime, say police
A Harrogate police inspector has expressed concerns that the site of the former Kimberley Hotel is being used for drugs and crime.
The 70-bedroom hotel on King’s Road closed in December 2020 after more than 50 years.
Insp. Ed Rogerson, who works for North Yorkshire Police’s Harrogate outer area, said the former hotel had become a “problem area” when he gave an overview of local policing to Harrogate Borough Council’s overview and scrutiny committee this week.
He said the hotel was awaiting redevelopment, adding:
“This empty building has been a problem area. Although it’s boarded up people keep breaking in.
“It’s primarily young people but it’s also being used by adults. People have used the location for taking drugs.
“It’s a concern that these vulnerable people are mixing with adults in that location where there’s crime and anti-social behaviour.”
Read more:
- Kimberley Hotel owner goes into liquidation amid £3.5m debts
- Government rejects £20m levelling up bid for Harrogate Convention Centre
Insp. Rogerson added officers were working with other organisations, including environmental health, “to ensure the owner and developer of that premises secure it properly”. He added:
“They’ve been reminded that if it doesn’t remain secure then enforcement action can be taken against them”.

The Kimberley Hotel in 2020.
The Kimberley Hotel opened in the 1960s when five townhouses dating back to the turn of the 20th century were converted.
It benefitted from the opening of what was then called the Harrogate Conference Centre in 1982, which is a short walk away.
Man jailed for racial harassment and carrying weapon in HarrogateA notorious Harrogate criminal has been jailed yet again, this time for racially aggravated threatening behaviour and carrying a Stanley knife in the town centre.
Graham McMillan, 38, was found shirtless and drinking beer in the middle of the road after police were called out to reports of an incident at Chico’s takeaway in Commercial Street.
York Crown Court heard that McMillan was swearing and shouting racial slurs, even when police warned him about his behaviour.
Prosecutor Brooke Morrison said that when officers searched McMillan, they found a Stanley knife in his jeans pocket.
He was arrested and charged with racially aggravated harassment or threatening behaviour and carrying a bladed article.
He appeared for sentence today via a video link from Wealstun Prison as he was already in custody serving a 42-week prison sentence imposed in September last year for carrying a hammer and swearing at people in the town centre.
Read more:
- ‘Serious concerns’ over North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue finances, say inspectors
- Met Police serial rapist case ‘abhorrent’, says North Yorkshire chief constable
That offence occurred on August 28, just four days after McMillan was arrested for the new offences.
Ms Morrison said the racially aggravated incident occurred on August 24 – the same day that McMillan had been given a two-month suspended prison sentence for possessing heroin and cocaine.
Police were initially called out to the Asda supermarket on Bower Road following reports that McMillan had tried to steal a crate of beer.
This incident did not result in any criminal charges, but later that same day, just before midnight, police received a further report that McMillan was at Chico’s takeaway and was refusing to leave.
Ms Morrison said:
“When police arrived, they found him in the middle of the street, topless, drinking from a bottle of beer.”
She said McMillan was “swearing abuse” and shouting out deeply offensive racial slurs aimed at staff at the takeaway.
When police warned him about his behaviour, McMillan drunkenly replied:
“I don’t give a fxxx – do me for racism.”
McMillan – formerly of Harlow Moor Drive, Harrogate, but currently of no fixed address – had 31 previous convictions for 56 offences including threatening and racially aggravated behaviour, carrying a blade, possessing an offensive weapon in public and “many” road-traffic matters and breaches of court orders.
Defence barrister Jennifer Coldham said McMillan had mental-health issues. He intended to return to Harrogate upon his release from the inevitable jail sentence.
Judge Simon Hickey said it was clear that McMillan committed offences “under the influence of drink and drugs”.
McMillan was handed a six-month jail sentence, of which he will serve half behind bars before being released on prison licence.
Thieves steal 10 motorbikes in MinskipPolice are appealing for information after motorbikes and tools were stolen in Minskip.
Thieves took the bikes from a commercial premises in the village overnight on Friday, January 6, and Saturday, January 7.
Officers said 10 motorbikes and several tools were taken.
A North Yorkshire Police statement added:
“Police are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
“In particular officers are keen to hear from anyone who noticed any vehicles in the area acting suspiciously on the night that the incident occurred.
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should email Conor.taylor@northyorkshire.police.uk
“You can also call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for PC 499 Conor Taylor.
Please quote reference number 12230003712 when passing information.
“If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Read more:
- Court martial trial begins for instructor at Harrogate’s Army Foundation College
- Man jailed for indecent exposure at Harrogate Library
- Homeless man admits theft at two Harrogate hairdressers
Homeless man admits theft at two Harrogate hairdressers
A homeless man has admitted committing theft at two Harrogate town centre shops on the same morning this week.
Anthony Fraser, 37, pleaded guilty to stealing products worth £380 from hair and beauty salon Hart & Hart on Commercial Street on Monday.
He also admitted taking products of an unknown value from the nearby barbers shop belonging to Nathan Cosgrove.
Fraser, who gave his address as Harrogate Homeless Project on Bower Street, appeared before magistrates in York yesterday.
He was remanded on bail until February 10, when he is due to be sentenced.
Read more:
- Court martial trial begins for instructor at Harrogate’s Army Foundation College
- Man jailed for indecent exposure at Harrogate Library
Harrogate burglar jailed after ‘audacious’ raid of £10k worth of clothes
A prolific Harrogate burglar has been jailed for two years after stealing £10,000 of clothes from a warehouse in two audacious break-ins on the same night.
Aaron Herbert, 49, and an unnamed man drove from Harrogate to the commercial warehouse in York in a stolen VW Golf, York Crown Court heard.
Prosecutor Michael Cahill said CCTV footage showed Herbert and the driver getting out of the vehicle and being joined by two other people including a woman outside the warehouse in an industrial compound on Malton Road, Stockton-on-the-Forest.
One of the men used bolt croppers to cut the lock of the warehouse doors to break in.
Mr Cahill added:
“A short time later, the two who arrived on foot left, leaving (Herbert) and the driver in the warehouse,
“CCTV showed the defendant and his accomplice going in and out of the warehouse…with stock from the warehouse, particularly coats.”
The burglars got back in the car and drove off after bagging £5,000 of loot in the raid, which occurred at about 11pm on December 11 last year. Herbert, who was a disqualified driver, was at the wheel.
Shortly afterwards, in the early hours of the following morning, Herbert drove back to the warehouse and was again with another man.
Mr Cahill said:
“The men made numerous trips in and out of the warehouse, stealing various items of clothing.”
Read more:
- North Yorkshire Police faces £8m in inflation costs
- More than half of violent crime in North Yorkshire is against females
- Man jailed for indecent exposure at Harrogate Library
CCTV showed Herbert coming out of the warehouse with a bundle of coats – one of which he was wearing.
Mr Cahill said that about £5,000 of clothes were stolen in this second raid, and £10,000 in total.
Herbert then drove the Volkswagen away from the loading-bay doors to make way for his
accomplice to drive out in a “mini” vehicle which he had stolen from inside the warehouse.
They then carefully closed the warehouse doors to make it look “as if nothing had happened”.
Herbert drove off in the VW and his accomplice drove away in the stolen warehouse vehicle.
However, it didn’t take police long to coming knocking at Herbert’s door as he was immediately identified from CCTV footage.
The two stolen vehicles were both found in Harrogate’s Fairfax Avenue.
‘Audacious’ raid
Herbert, of Deane Place, Harrogate, was arrested on December 15 and charged with two counts of burglary, taking a vehicle without consent and driving while disqualified and without insurance.
He admitted the offences and appeared for sentence today.
Mr Cahill said Herbert had taken the VW car after a sneak-in burglary at a named woman’s home in Harrogate in which her car keys were stolen.
Herbert’s 22-year criminal career comprised 27 previous convictions for 85 offences including burglary and 24 theft and kindred offences.
Defence barrister Harry Crowson said that Herbert, a long-standing heroin addict, had spent most of his time in prison in recent years.
Judge Simon Hickey described the burglaries as “audacious”.
He told Herbert:
“You were seen emptying the warehouse of a significant amount of clothes (which represents) a significant economic loss.”
He said the burglaries involved “significant planning” and that Herbert was now at risk of becoming “institutionalised”.
Herbert will serve half of the two-year jail sentence behind bars before being released on prison licence. He was also given a two-year driving ban.