An Amazon delivery driver who caused the death of a motorcyclist by dangerous driving in Ripon has been jailed.
Daniaal Iqbal, 23, was running out of fuel and texting on Snapchat when he knocked over and killed Peter Rushforth on Kirkby Road near Ripon in September 2019.
Iqbal, of Toller Lane, Bradford, denied driving dangerously, but was found guilty by a jury on August 15 this year.
He appeared before York Crown Court this afternoon where he was sentenced to three and a half years in prison.
Second day of new job
Iqbal, who was on only the second day of his new Amazon delivery job, was also allegedly using a navigational app on his mobile phone when the collision occurred.
He was driving around a sweeping bend on Kirkby Road when he collided with Mr Rushforth’s Suzuki travelling in the opposite direction, the court was told.
Mr Rushforth, 56, was on the correct side of the road as he came around the bend, but Iqbal’s white Transit van was on the wrong side. The side of the van struck Mr Rushforth’s helmet, part of which broke off.
Mr Rushforth and his motorbike then slid along the road towards the grass verge, crashing into a stone wall. He then collided with some tree branches before falling to the ground. Other motorists went to his aid, but he suffered fatal injuries and was certified dead at the scene.

York Crown Court.
The court heard that about 15 minutes before the collision on September 21, Iqbal exchanged five text messages with an Amazon colleague about needing to refuel and arranging to meet up at the Morrisons petrol station in Ripon because he didn’t have a company fuel card.
He then made a delivery in Ripon and was travelling on Kirkby Lane, towards the town, when the crash occurred at about 6.30pm.
Mr Rushforth and his bike were thrown from the road into a nearby wall and then into a tree, the court was told.
Police were called out and Iqbal, who was described as looking “completely shocked”, remained at the scene.
Phone records showed that minutes before the collision, he had carried out a search on the Apple Maps navigation app to get directions to the fuel station.
At 6.30pm, around the time of the crash, records showed that the camera and Snapchat apps on Iqbal’s phone had been activated as he approached the collision site.
Read more:
- Amazon driver found guilty of causing death of Ripon biker
- Amazon driver killed Ripon motorcyclist while he sent Snapchat message, court hears
A forensic officer said his investigation suggested that Iqbal had sent a Snapchat message to a friend at about the time the delivery van came round the bend into the path of Mr Rushforth’s motorbike.
The court heard that Iqbal was “distracted” for 32 seconds in the time that the crash happened.
‘Devastated’ and ‘remorseful’
Katherine Robinson, prosecuting, told the court this afternoon that Iqbal’s use of his phone had caused a “substantial risk of danger”.
However, Felicia Davy, mitigating, said the 23-year-old had never been before the courts before and was a “low risk” of future offending.
Ms Davy said the defendant was “devastated” and “remorseful” and that the case had been delayed for three years.
She said:
“In the three years since this offence, he has used his time as positively as possible.
“He is not somebody who has no regard or lack of appreciation of the impact on the deceased’s family.”
Iqbal did “everything appropriate” to help following the crash and has since suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, the defence added.
Judge Simon Hickey sentenced the 23-year-old to three and a half years in prison.
Judge Hickey said while he accepted that Iqbal was a “decent young man” and was “spoken of highly”, he was distracted for too long and caused the death of an “innocent man”.
Iqbal was also disqualified from driving for 45 months.
He will serve half of his sentence before being released on licence.
High value jewellery stolen from Harrogate housePolice are appealing for information about a suspected burglary at a house in Harrogate in which jewellery and watches were stolen.
The incident happened on Park Avenue South at 7.23pm on Friday last week.
North Yorkshire Police today released CCTV images showing a man wearing a two-tone jacket or gilet and light-coloured trousers.
Officers say the suspect was carrying a white sack or pillowcase, believed to contain the stolen items, in Park Avenue South, Leeds Road and Harrogate town.
They have not said how much the jewellery was worth but described it as “high value”.
A police statement added:
“Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should email ashley.atkins2@northyorkshire.police.uk. You can also call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Ashley Atkins.
“If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
“Please quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12220218037 when providing details.”
Read more:
- ‘We will prosecute if we have to’: On the road with Harrogate’s traffic police
- North Yorkshire Police needs £12m to meet rising costs, says commissioner
Harrogate company fined £170,000 after employee contracts blood infection at contaminated lake
A Harrogate company has been fined £170,000 after one of its employees contracted a blood infection working at a lake contaminated with sewage.
The man was working for Alder and Allan Ltd, which is based on Station Parade and employs 1,250 staff, during a clean-up operation at a lake near Churchbridge, Cannock, Staffordshire, in June 2019.
Alder and Allan, which was founded in 1926, specialises in environmental clean-ups on behalf of public and private sector companies.
The employee had been working at the lake for two weeks before contracting leptospirosis (Weil’s Disease) and became seriously ill.
Dead fish had to be cleaned out of the lake after it was contaminated with sewage when a nearby pipe burst.
‘Serious risk of ill health’
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive, which regulates workplace health and safety, found there was a serious risk of ill health to employees at the site as there were inadequate hygiene provisions in place to suitably guard against bacteriological and pathogen infection.
The man was left with a rash across his whole body meaning he had to limit contact with his family. His kidney and liver also had to be monitored. He was given antibiotics and did not make a full recovery for around four months.
It was also found that no on-site toilets were provided and workers were forced to use a local supermarket to wash and go to the toilet.
There was also a lack of supervision at the site, with the company also failing to conduct a suitable risk assessment and implement an appropriate system of work.
Read more:
- Two men jailed for vicious attack in Ripon
- Harrogate man jailed for three years for ‘savage’ attack
- ‘We will prosecute if we have to’: On the road with Harrogate’s traffic police
The company pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety Act 1974 and Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and were fined £126,100 and ordered to pay costs of £43,494.
HSE inspector Lyn Mizen said:
“This serious ill health matter could have been avoided if the clearly foreseeable risks and dangers had been appropriately controlled and managed, right from the outset.
“Portable welfare units can be easily sourced and are clearly needed for heavily contaminated work situations such as this.
“HSE will not hesitate to hold duty holders to account if they fall short of appropriate welfare standards.”
‘Significant efforts were made to address the risk’

A spokesperson for Adler and Alan Ltd said:
Police plea to call out drink drivers amid increasing Harrogate district incidents“We have received a judgement in a health and safety case, relating to an incident in 2019.
“Following work on a client site, an employee of Adler and Allan contracted leptospirosis.
“It was ruled that although significant efforts were made to address the risk, a short delay in getting a welfare van to site meant we did not meet the high standards we set ourselves on this occasion. We cooperated fully with the Health and Safety Executive following the event and undertook all required rectifying work.
“The health and safety of our people is one of our core values. We take this extremely seriously, continually investing in our SHEQ capability, ensuring that all relevant policies are in place and adhered to, the correct PPE is issued and used, and employees are provided with training that always meets or exceeds regulatory requirement.”
North Yorkshire Police is urging people to alert the force to suspected drink drivers amid concern over increasing cases.
The force, along with North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, today launched its Christmas drink and drug drive campaign.
Called ‘Save a life and call It In’, it encourages people to ring 999 if they suspect someone is behind the wheel under the influence of drink or drugs.
The campaign, which runs until January 1, will also see officers patrolling the county in marked and unmarked police vehicles and carrying out roadside checks.
Superintendent Emma Aldred, head of specialist operations for the force, told the Stray Ferret:
She said:
“We do drink drive campaigns throughout the year, but we do see an increase around the festive period because people come together a lot more and there are office parties, house parties and with the cost of living we are seeing a lot more home drinking.
“We are seeing increased drinking and people thinking they are okay to drive the next morning or that night, which is just not acceptable.”
‘We are seeing an increase’
During last year’s campaign – which ran from December 1 to January 1 – there were 137 people arrested for drink or drug driving in the county.
From the 137 arrests, 120 were men and 17 were women. 72 people of the 137 were charged with an offence. A total of 25 of the arrests were made following a crash.

Tony Peel, group manager at North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.
Tony Peel, group manager for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, also said that the service was now seeing an increase in drink driving incidents across Harrogate and North Yorkshire.
He said:
“We are starting to see a slight increase.
“I think with the messages we did many years ago, it [drink driving] did go down. But it does seem to be growing a little bit and we are seeing an increase.”
Read more:
- Criminals in North Yorkshire could make written apologies to victims
- Harrogate man jailed for spitting on pensioner at train station
The plea to call out drink and drug drivers has been endorsed by actor Mark Charnock, who plays Marlon Dingle in television soap Emmerdale.
Mr Charnock took part in a mock car crash at Harrogate Fire Station this week to demonstrate the impact that drink driving can have on someone.

Mark Charnock was cut from a car as part of a demonstration at Harrogate Fire Station.
The demonstration saw him cut out of a car by fire crews and put onto a stretcher before being lifted to safety.
Mr Charnock said:
“If this was real, if you add in real horror into the mix of what I’ve just been through, I can’t begin to imagine what it would be like.
“You just would not wish it on your worst enemy.”
The campaign against drink and drug driving will run from December 1, 2022, until January 1, 2023.
Jennyfields closure order: warrant issued for arrest of manA warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Harrogate man who allegedly breached a closure order on a house in Jennyfields.
The closure order, granted by Harrogate Magistrates Court on November 3, banned anyone except an authorised council officer and one other named person from entering the property for three months.
Harrogate Borough Council said in a statement after the hearing it applied for the order “following concerns about drug use and anti-social behaviour”.
Aaron John Herbert, 49, of Deane Place, Harrogate, was due to appear in court on Thursday charged with entering the premises in contravention of the order.
But he did not appear, prompting magistrates at Harrogate to issue a warrant for his arrest.
North Yorkshire Police said this morning:
“The court warrant is still in place and enquiries are ongoing to locate him.”
Read more:
- Council closes Jennyfields house amid anti-social behaviour concerns
- Harrogate man jailed for three years for ‘savage’ attack
Criminals in North Yorkshire could make written apologies to victims
Criminals could be asked to make written apologies to victims under new plans for policing in North Yorkshire.
North Yorkshire Police Fire and Crime Commissioner Zoë Metcalfe is consulting on a community remedy document.
Each local policing body must have a community remedy document for its area that is informed by consultation.
The document includes options for dealing with less serious crime and anti-social behaviour.
The options being considered in North Yorkshire include asking criminals to make verbal or written apologies or to sign acceptable behaviour contracts in which they pledge to change their behaviour.
Victims of crime, such as street drinking, littering, noise, animal problems, vehicle nuisance or trespass, will be able to discuss the finalised community remedy options with a police officer and provide their preferred course of action for the officer to consider.
Ms Metcalfe today opened a consultation on plans jointly drawn up with North Yorkshire Police.
The options people are asked to comment on are:
- Restorative Justice: bringing together criminals and victims in a safe and supported way.
- Verbal or written apology to victims.
- Signing acceptable behaviour contracts in which offenders pledge to change their behaviour by agreeing to particular conditions or actions e.g. participating in an educational programme or agreeing not to go to a particular area.
- A referral to a local rehabilitative, educational or diversionary activity, to support an improvement in behaviour: via a community-based support scheme.
- Personal/community reparation: e.g. repairing or paying for the damage caused.
- Mediation to support the resolution of disputes.
Read more:
- ‘Harrogate firefighters being used as guinea pigs’, says union
- Harrogate man jailed for spitting on pensioner at train station
The community remedy process aims to support victims by giving them reassurance that their offender is remorseful. The aim is to promote public confidence in the out-of-court disposal process.
This is a method for avoiding court proceedings and criminal charges when an offender is known and admits the offence.
Causes ‘misery’
Ms Metcalfe said:
“Anti-social behavioural problems can cause misery in communities, and I want members of the public to feel empowered by the community remedy, in that they have a say in the best way to prevent re-offending and feel reassured by the actions taken by the police.
“Please complete the short survey to inform my decision on the final options.”
Lisa Winward, Chief Constable of North Yorkshire Police, said:
“The community remedy will provide victims of low level crime and anti-social behaviour with a greater say in how an offender is held to account for their actions.
“We know that crimes and behaviour of this kind can take their toll on individuals and communities and I welcome the commissioner’s survey to better understand the menu of remedial options that communities feel best fit the crime.”
To take part in the seven-week survey, which closes on January 10, click here.
Burglary at Harrogate hairdressers this morningA man and woman have been arrested on suspicion of burgling a Harrogate hairdressers in the early hours of this morning.
The suspects, both in their 30s and from Harrogate, remain in police custody.
According to North Yorkshire Police, a man and woman were seen to break a window at Contemporary Salons’ studio on Station Parade at 3.56am. It added:
“The two people then entered the property and filled two bags with items before leaving the area in a taxi.”
It is the latest criminal attack this month on a Harrogate shop, with previous incidents reported at salon Dangerfield & Keane and James Barber Tobacconists on Cold Bath Road.
Police said in a statement:
“If you witnessed this incident or have any further information which could help the investigation, please email: pamela.luettke@northyorkshire.police.uk or call 101 quoting reference 12220206294
“If you’d prefer to remain anonymous, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
According to its website, Contemporary Salons is a group of nine hair salons across north Yorkshire and Teesside
Read more:
Man denies wounding with intent on Harrogate’s Bower Street
A Harrogate man has denied wounding another man with intent to cause grievous bodily harm on the town’s Bower Street last month.
William Boam, 23, who lives on the street, appeared before York Crown Court yesterday and pleaded not guilty to the charge.
It follows an incident on Bower Street on the night of October 14.
Boam, who appeared via video link from HMP Hull, also denied a charge of common assault against another man on the same night.
Read more:
- Railings to be installed on Harrogate’s Bower Street
- Three men arrested after police stop vans on A1(M) near Boroughbridge
- Council closes Jennyfields house amid anti-social behaviour concerns
He pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing a knife on Bower Street.
A trial date was set at York Crown Court for April 11, 2023.
Recorder Tahir Kahn remanded Boam in custody until the date of the trial.
Man suffers serious head injuries on Harrogate’s Bower StreetA 32-year-old Harrogate man has been arrested following a reported assault on Bower Street.
Police were called by the ambulance service at 6.20pm on Saturday after the victim, a man in his fifties, was found with serious head injuries in the street.
The victim was taken to hospital where he remains in a serious condition.
The 32-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent. He has since been released on conditional police bail to allow for further enquiries to be carried out.
It was revealed last month that railings are to be installed on Bower Street in an attempt to reduce anti-social behaviour.

North Yorkshire Police is urging anyone who witnessed the incident but has not yet spoken to police to get in touch on 101. The incident number is 12220201215
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Read more:
- Three arrested after dozens of bags of cocaine found in Harrogate
- Railings to be installed on Harrogate’s Bower Street
Police crime scene investigators at Ripon
North Yorkshire Police crime scene investigators are attending an incident on the corner of Finkle Street and Allhallowgate in Ripon.
The corner site has been cordoned off with blue and white police tape.
A crime scene investigation vehicle, mobile police office and a further police vehicle and officers have been at the scene.
Police at the scene are not giving any details about the nature of the incident.
Read more: