A paramedic who lived in Pateley Bridge took his own life the day after he lost his job with the NHS, an inquest has heard.
Andrew Pickering was 57 when he was told he had committed gross misconduct at work, leading to his immediate dismissal from Yorkshire Ambulance Service on February 2 last year.
The inquest held today heard Mr Pickering had attempted to take his own life at home the same day, but was unsuccessful. He had gone to Harrogate District Hospital by ambulance, where he was assessed by the mental health crisis team in the early hours of February 3.
Senior crisis clinician Glen Wilson, from the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust, which provides mental health services in the Harrogate district, told the inquest:
“He openly engaged with us. He was happy to talk to us. He answered questions about himself.
“Although he had [tried to take his own life], he then alerted someone to his actions. He agreed to come to the [emergency] department to be checked over. He agreed to be seen. He agreed to talk about the events leading up to it.”
Mr Wilson said Mr Pickering, a former RAF serviceman, agreed to follow-up appointments over the next few days and went home at around 6am.
Today’s inquest heard the loss of his job followed a six-month investigation, during which he could have been placed on other duties that would not have involved dealing with the public.
However, the inquest heard Mr Pickering was “embarrassed” by this and was instead signed off work sick. He had not told his family about the problems he faced.
‘Desperate person’
It had also been a stressful period in his personal life, including the breakdown of his 27-year marriage, which saw him move out of the family home he shared with his wife and two teenage children.
His former wife questioned why someone who had attempted suicide was sent home alone. She added:
“A desperate person was left to go home on his own in a taxi in the early hours of the morning to an empty home.”
Mr Wilson said follow-up phone calls were due to be made that day, and Mr Pickering would have been visited daily for at least three days by someone from the crisis team. He said:
“He was saying to me he worked in this field, he can see the devastation on families when people end their lives. He said he would never do that to his family and he was happy to engage with us.”
Staff at the crisis service called Mr Pickering four times between 9.30am and 1.15pm on February 3. They received no answer but, knowing he had been in hospital through the night, thought he must be catching up on sleep.
A friend and colleague, Jonathan Mellor, who knew Mr Pickering had gone to hospital the previous night, called by his house at 10.30am. Seeing Mr Pickering was not yet dressed, he suggested the pair go for a walk later and said he would return in a couple of hours.
When Mr Mellor returned at 12.50pm, he found Mr Pickering had taken his own life. Coroner Jonathan Heath today concluded he had died by suicide.
Read more:
- Harrogate hospital: Patients will be safe during junior doctors’ four-day strike
- Inquest hears Lady Masham died from sepsis
The inquest, held at the Coroner’s Court in Northallerton, heard Mr Pickering had been an “extremely popular and hard-working” paramedic but had struggled to deal with difficult family circumstances, leading to the situation that saw him put through the disciplinary process – which had lasted six months instead of the recommended four.
At one point, the inquest heard, comparisons were drawn between Mr Pickering and Wayne Couzens, the police officer who murdered Sarah Everard.
Prior to joining YAS in 2009, he had been in the RAF and served in Afghanistan soon after the birth of his son in 2007. His former wife said:
“He came back a very different person. Things were never quite the same.
“Over the years, I asked him to talk to someone, but he didn’t. He wasn’t abusive or violent, but he was more withdrawn.”
The inquest heard Yorkshire Ambulance Service had undertaken a ‘lessons learnt’ review following Mr Pickering’s death.
His brother Richard questioned the way the investigation following the death had been carried out. He said the family felt they had not been listened to and were not trusted to be part of the process.
YAS head of employee relations Alison Cockerill said:
“It was decided it should be internal. We were aware Andrew had deliberately kept some of what was happening from his family and we were still trying to navigate what that meant for us in terms of respecting Andrew’s wishes.”
Mr Heath said in future, the trust should consider adopting a policy of explaining the process to the family at the outset and showing them the findings at the end.
Mrs Cockerill said, following the review, YAS had put in place new measures to support people who were going through disciplinary processes, including assessing the impact on the individual alongside the risk to the public.
All managers and supervisors would now receive skills training to help them support people subject to disciplinary investigations, she added.
Value of North Yorkshire pension fund secure following crisis, says councilNorth Yorkshire County County has said the value of its £4.9bn pension fund is secure.
It follows this week’s unprecedented move by the Bank of England to step in and calm markets after fears that some pension funds were at risk of collapse.
The bank ended up pledging to buy £65bn of government bonds, which many pension funds invest in, after their value plunged following last week’s government mini-budget.
To pay for retirement pensions, staff from Harrogate Borough Council and 30 other district, city and town councils in the county pay into the North Yorkshire Pension Fund through their salary. The fund is administered by North Yorkshire County Council.
According to the pension fund’s latest annual report, the fund has £141m in government bonds, also called gilts.
However, the investment is worth just 3.1% of the total portfolio. The majority of the fund has been invested in shares and other financial products.
North Yorkshire Pension Fund treasurer Gary Fielding said:
“We are monitoring the current situation closely. Although the UK financial market and the value of sterling have been under pressure, this has had a very limited impact on the fund.
“The investments are spread across the globe and in a range of assets classes, providing the fund with a high degree of resilience.”
Read more:
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate district hotels win national awards
- Harrogate BID manager to leave role
North Yorkshire Tories call on next government to ‘get real’ over energy bills
Tory councillors on North Yorkshire County Council have told the Conservative Party leadership candidates that direct targeted help will be needed to support residents through the energy cost crisis.
Senior members of the party in the traditional Conservative stronghold of North Yorkshire say they are becoming increasingly concerned about how the most vulnerable members of the community will cope financially ahead of Ofgem confirming October’s energy price cap tomorrow.
They have pointed towards demand for North Yorkshire County Council’s Local Assistance Fund, which provides support for vulnerable people needing help with essential living costs, doubling in recent months.
Energy bills are forecast to top £5,300 annually in April next year, representing a huge increase from previous predictions.
Prime ministerial candidate frontrunner Liz Truss has promised an emergency budget if she is selected, saying she would reverse National Insurance rises and stop business tax hikes.
She has also suggested extra cash support may be available for families struggling with energy bills.
Meanwhile Rishi Sunak said he would prioritise tackling inflation and introduce more targeted support for households, pledging to reduce VAT on domestic energy bills.
Read more:
- Andrew Jones MP defends government response to energy crisis
- MPs warned energy bills are pushing Harrogate district businesses to ‘tipping point’
A meeting of North Yorkshire County Council’s executive this week heard its finance boss and deputy leader, Councillor Gareth Dadd, say while he remained confident the authority could rise to the challenge of tackling inflationary pressures, some residents would struggle.

Cllr Dadd (pictured above) said:
Aldi looking to open second Harrogate supermarket“If I can just give one message to either one of the, well one in particular, of the prime ministerial candidates, call it hand-outs, call it what you want, there is no two ways, given the rising price cap that we are expecting in a few days’ time, direct support will be needed to those most in need.
“A pound a week saving via a tax cut will not make the cut as far as I am concerned across the most vulnerable residents in North Yorkshire.
“It’s about time we got real and recognised this and it’s direct support that’s needed as there’s an impact on our services and our costs. I think we’ve already seen evidence of that through the Local Assistance Fund.
“The plea is direct target help with those energy bills will go a long way to seeing off some of the demand rises that we’ve seen lately.”
German supermarket chain Aldi has added Harrogate to a list of locations where it would like to open a new store.
Budget supermarkets have been making inroads into the Harrogate district in recent years. Aldi opened its first supermarket in Harrogate on Oak Beck Road in 2016 and another store in Knaresborough in 2021.
Aldi’s rival, Lidl, has had a supermarket in Knaresborough for several years and is currently building a new Harrogate store on Knaresborough Road. Lidl also has plans to open a supermarket at St Michael’s Retail Park in Ripon.
The cost of living crisis could see cheaper supermarkets continue in popularity and now Aldi has released a list of over 50 towns and cities, including Harrogate, that it is targeting in the coming years.
The company is offering a finder’s fee for anyone who recommends a suitable site, which it says should measure 20,000 sq foot, be able to accommodate 100 parking spaces and ideally be near a main road.
George Brown, national property director at Aldi UK, said:
“Despite our growth in recent years, some people still don’t have access to a local store, which is why it is our mission to continue on with our ambitious growth plans and change that.”
Read more:
- Knaresborough’s first Aldi set to open tomorrow
- Harrogate woman buys cauliflower the size of egg from Aldi
Under pressure Harrogate hospital apologises for delays
Harrogate District Hospital has apologised for delays faced by patients and outlined the pressures staff are facing at the start of a busy winter period.
The plea for understanding came after a difficult weekend, which culminated in the hospital urging those with less severe illness or injury to go to Ripon Community Hospital.
A combination of coronavirus patients needing care for longer and issues discharging patients means the hospital has the highest number of longer stay patients so far this year.
Some patients have not been discharged because home care services are not available.
It means longer waiting times across wards, community services and in the emergency department.
The hospital hopes that the completion of an upgrade to its elderly care ward next week will increase winter bed capacity and reduce pressures.
Read more:
- Today only: Harrogate vaccine centre offers walk-in boosters
- Hospital issues urgent appeal for crutches and walking sticks
Dr Matt Shepherd, deputy chief operating officer and consultant in emergency medicine at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said:
Knaresborough woman steps up for asylum seekers on doorstep“Recently we have been experiencing a very busy period at Harrogate District Hospital, across our wards, community services and in the emergency department. This has meant people with less urgent issues are experiencing longer waiting times.
“It has also been more difficult recently to discharge some of our patients who no longer require hospital care, as there is less availability of home care to support people safely in their own homes.
“Difficulties in discharging patients combined with the extended stay required for patients with covid has meant the hospital currently has its highest number of longer stay patients so far this year. This has led to a reduction in the number of empty beds available for new admissions.
“We know our colleagues in social care and our team at HDFT are working incredibly hard to reduce these pressures. We are working closely with our partners in social care, both locally and across North Yorkshire, to ensure patients are able to be discharged as soon as they are well enough to no longer require hospital care. Upgrades to our elderly care ward will also be completed next week, which will increase winter bed capacity.
“We would like to apologise to those patients who might have to wait longer than usual when they visit the hospital to access our services. Unless it’s a life-threatening or severe illness or injury, we would ask them to contact NHS 111 first. The NHS will help you right away and if you need urgent care, the NHS can book you in to be seen quickly and safely.
“People with life-threatening illnesses or injuries should continue to dial 999 and anyone who arrives at A&E without calling NHS 111 will still receive medical care, with those needing emergency treatment prioritised.”
A teacher from Knaresborough says she needs more support to help those seeking asylum settle into the Harrogate district.
Anne Morley has spent her free time in recent months taking supplies like shoes and mobile phones to asylum seekers in Leeds.
There are currently around 130 asylum seekers living in a hotel in Leeds. The coronavirus pandemic has meant that they are not able to go into detention centres.
Ms Morley has won the support of some people in Knaresborough but she needs more help. Asylum seekers are not entitled to any benefits before they have gone through a legal process and gained refugee status.
Read more:
- Henshaws Hundreds fundraises for struggling charity
- Knaresborough yoga charity to reopen after community support
- Golf event to raise money for Harrogate charity
She says it is a life in limbo for the asylum seekers after a treacherous journey from war-torn countries like Syria, Iraq and Sudan. Many are not able to tell their families that they have arrived safely in the UK because they have no working phones.
That is something that Ms Morley and charity Care4Calais has tried to change. Ms Morley told the Stray Ferret that asylum seekers want to come to the UK and contribute:
“Some people have this view that asylum seekers want to come here and claim benefits but it is simply untrue. They all want to work and build better lives for themselves. I know people who have gone onto work in Harrogate’s hospital or as carers or even as mechanics.”
Her plea for people to donate to the Care4Calais emergency appeal comes as the body of 16-year-old Sudanese boy attempting to cross the English Channel was found earlier today.