A Harrogate family whose home was devastated by fire has launched a crowdfunding appeal.
Mikey Donald said his parents’ home insurance had lapsed a month before Friday’s fire, which ripped through the garage and house on Avenue Close in Starbeck.
You can read about the incident here.
In his appeal post, Mr Donald posted photos showing the impact of the fire and said he was “reaching out for support during one of the toughest times my family has faced”.

The car and garage were ruined by fire.

The bedroom
He said his dad Mike Donald, 58, was disposing of paperwork when fire broke out:
“A sudden gust of wind sparked a fire that engulfed our garage and home. Miraculously, no one was harmed, but the flames ravaged everything we held dear, leaving behind only memories amidst the ashes.
“To add to the hardship, we learned that our insurance had lapsed just a month before the incident, leaving us vulnerable and without coverage. Now, we’re faced with the daunting task of rebuilding our home from scratch, a journey filled with uncertainty and challenges.”
Mr Donald said his father’s partner Rhona Andrew, 57, was an NHS nurse who had “devoted her life to caring for others” and was awaiting kidney and pancreas transplants due to declining health.
He added his father, a joiner, was “always lending a helping hand in our Starbeck community”.


Mr Donald said:
“Your kindness and support mean everything to us during this dark chapter. Every contribution, no matter the size, will directly aid my dad in rebuilding our family’s home and restoring hope in our hearts. Thank you, from the depths of our souls, for considering to stand by us in our time of need.”
More than 120 people had donated a total of around £2,500 by last night. You can donate here
Read more:
- Firefighters battle major house fire in Starbeck
- The Harrogate hospital worker bringing cheer for 50 years
Visual of Harrogate’s first mosque released as £50,000 appeal launched
Harrogate Islamic Association has launched a £50,000 fundraising appeal for the next phase of its scheme to create the district’s first mosque.
It has also published a visual showing how the building on the corner of Tower Street and Belford Road will look once the makeover is completed.
The association bought the dilapidated former Home Guard building in April last year.
It has already undergone extensive repairs to fix the roof and remove asbestos.
The next phase of the project, which is underway, will ensure the building is structurally sound and will focus on stripping the interior and undertaking structural works.

How the building looks now.
In a crowdfunding appeal post, the association said:
“It’s difficult to convey how deteriorated the building interior is, but we’re determined to make it right.”
“This phase will see a removal and replacement of both the ground and first floors, each of which have suffered extensive rot and degradation.
“The floors will be replaced with steel framing and timber infrastructure to match the existing levels. The steel infrastructure will also help brace the existing masonry walls.”
https://twitter.com/HarrogateIA/status/1694010495445897311?s=20
The crowdfunding appeal post said further funds will need to be raised for a final phase, which will involve installing electricity, heating, security and plumbing systems, along with interior walls, doors, and amenities.
The post said the association was minimising disruption by not erecting scaffolding or conducting exterior work during the current phase so traffic and businesses on Tower Street and Belford Road will not be disrupted.
It added:
“Our intent is for this process to be a model that other communities can follow in terms of outreach, management, safety, and engagement with the wider community.”
Read more:
- First pictures show inside of £13.5m Harrogate leisure centre refurbishment
- Harrogate plant hire company founder David Kitching dies
Zahed Amanullah, outreach coordinator at the association, said the mosque was likely to open early next year. He added:
“It’s a very old building with a lot of issues so we are moving carefully and methodically. We are not rushing.”
The association published these images showing the state of the building inside.


White horses to carry Harrogate’s Sophie Lambert on her final journey
White horses decorated with purple will carry Harrogate’s Sophie Lambert on her final journey this week.
Sophie, 22, was found dead last month after a five-day missing person search that touched the lives of thousands of people in Harrogate and beyond.
Animal lover Sophie was particularly fond of horses and her big brother Craig Robinson has chosen two to pull a carriage carrying her body to Harrogate’s Stonefall Crematorium on Friday.
Her pet chihuahuas Boston and Bentley will wear jumpers saying ‘my mummy is in heaven’.

Sophie loved animals and had two dogs.
A crowdfunding appeal set up by Craig to give Sophie “the best send-off ever” has raised more than £3,700 — well above the £3,000 target.
He wrote on social media:
“Well, Soph, these beautiful horses are the ones I’ve picked for you with purple on there as well as you loved bright colours, these horses will bring you home one last time my angel.
“I hope I’ve done you proud and done everything to be perfect for you.”
The 40-minute service at 11am, which will be live-streamed, will be followed by drinks celebrating Sophie’s life at the Malt Shovel in Brearton.

The purple and white horses will match Sophie’s favourite colours.
There is no dress code but Craig has requested everyone wears odd socks because, as Craig puts it, “Sophie never did believe in wearing the same coloured socks as she said life was to short to match them”.
He has been setting of bio-degradeable lanterns this week in memory of Sophie, and said:
“I thank you all once again for the support help and donations you guys have given us in order to give Sophie the spend off she has always deserved. Rest easy Sophie my little Angel night night.”
Read more:
Fundraising appeal set up for Sophie Lambert’s funeral
The brother of Harrogate woman Sophie Lambert has set up a crowdfunding appeal for her funeral.
Sophie’s body was found in the River Nidd this week, five days after she wet missing from her home in Starbeck.
Hundreds of people took part in searches to find her.
Her older brother Craig Robinson launched a gofundme appeal yesterday to raise £3,000 to pay for ‘the best funeral for my sister Sophie’.
It was already over halfway towards its target last night.
Craig said Sophie was a bright girl who loved to laugh and had two dogs but had battled suffering every day for 10 years.

Craig shared this photo of his sister.
He added:
“This gofundme is for her funeral for us to be able to give her the best send off ever, please don’t feel pressured into donating as we have already set one up before for fuel and other resources,
“Sophie my little sister what can I say, you’ve grown your wings and flown away, I hope you’re safe up there.”
You can support the appeal here.
Read more:
Crowdfunder launched to keep Knaresborough partying
A crowdfunding campaign has been launched to enable Knaresborough to stage free annual parties in the grounds of the town’s castle.
Party in the Castle will feature a live big screen broadcast of the Glastonbury festival on June 24. People are invited to turn up with a picnic and enjoy the sounds of the likes of Guns N’ Roses, Lizzo and Lewis Capaldi.
Organisers Knaresborough and District Chamber hopes the event will have a similar vibe — and good weather — to the free coronation party at the castle last month.
Chamber member Kelly Young said it will hopefully become an annual event. But she added although entry is free, funds need to be raised for the big screen and to cover other costs such as first aid and insurance.
The crowdfunder therefore aims to raise £2,000 and has already achieved about £1,400. Any surplus will be used on future events.
Cllr Hannah Gostlow, who represents Knaresborough East on North Yorkshire Council, has also applied to the council to allocate £2,500 of her Locality budget on the event. Each councillor receives an annual Locality budget of £10,000 to spend locally.
Party in the Castle will take place from 5pm to 11pm. Anyone wishing to support the crowdfunder can do so here.
Read more:
- Knaresborough’s Conyngham Hall to hold outdoor Pink Floyd classical concert
- Knaresborough’s ex-crime commissioner sells marketing firm
‘Netfix’ fundraiser for village cricket club near Harrogate
Pannal Cricket Club has launched a £20,000 campaign to replace its ageing nets and enable its members to improve their game.
Under the title ‘Netfix’, the club is offering rewards to supporters ranging from branded caps and popular pies to a hospitality day when Headingley hosts the Ashes this year.
With almost 300 members across its junior and senior teams, committee member Andy Herridge said the club is keen to ensure it offers the best facilities.
“We’ve really needed some new nets for the last couple of years. They’ve got holes in and have just been used and abused. The storm damage we had over winter just finished them off this year.
“We can only use one of the sides for the juniors and the seniors can’t practice in it now – it can’t take the force of a senior’s ball.”
Mr Herridge said the club has already received a £10,000 grant for the nets from the England and Wales Cricket Board and had saved some funds in recent years to put towards the project.
The £20,000 crowdfunder will ensure there is enough in the put to complete the replacement, and almost a quarter of the money has already been raised.
The club has even put together a promotional video to explain the benefits of the new nets.
Mr Herridge said the rewards on offer had also proved popular:
“They’ve been really well received and we’re asking anybody else who can put in a reward for a pledge to contact us, even if it’s local restaurants or bars for 10% or even 5% off a bill, that we can offer for small amounts – £10, £15, £20.
“We’re all volunteers and we all work full time, so it’s really hard to spend the time going round getting everything done.
“We’re doing some events on evenings to add to the fundraising. One of our players, Mo, is a Methodist minister and he’s going to cook curries for a curry night that we can sell tickets for.
“We’re keen to try and make the events as relaxed as possible so everyone has fun.”
Pannal CC was established in the late 19th century and has been based between Pannal and Burn Bridge, on Burn Bridge Lane, since 1918.
It has been part of the Nidderdale League since 1972, and is also part of the York Senior League and Harrogate Evening League.
Mr Herridge said it costs around £25,000 a year to run the club, which has almost 300 members from age five upwards. They include girls’ teams, who often play against boys and mixed teams because there are so few other girls’ teams in the local league.
As well as membership fees, the club’s covers its costs through sponsorships from local businesses.
To donate to the Netfix crowdfunder, click here.
Harrogate Cricket Club launches £75,000 nets appealHarrogate Cricket Club has launched a £75,000 fundraising appeal to buy four cricket nets.
The nets would enable the club, which has four senior teams, 150 junior players and walking cricket for over-55s, to practise using some of the best facilities in the district.
It currently has only two overused nets in poor condition at its St George’s Road ground.
The crowdfunder campaign therefore initially aims to raise £30,000 and would make the new facilities open to the wider community.
The club has found donors willing to match fund that amount so the £30,000 target would generate £60,000. A further £15,000 may be required as the cost of the new nets could be as high as £75,000.

The existing nets were damaged in a recent storm.
The crowdfunding page said:
“We want to be able to provide some of the best cricket facilities in the north of England. But we’re currently falling well short of where we want to be.
“We only have two nets for hundreds of players and they are really old and tired. We have constant issues with net congestion, i.e. too many players and not enough nets and this significantly impacts our players’ ability to practise and develop.”
Read more:
- Famous Nidderdale cricket club in danger of folding
- Killinghall Cricket Club applies to build new two-storey pavilion
The nets will, according to the club, “allow each cricketer to develop at their own pace, with enough ‘net time’ to discover their strengths and work on their confidence”.
The first team plays in the Yorkshire Premier League and is coached by former Yorkshire player Matt Pillans.
Female cricket has boomed in recent years and the club’s girls section now has three teams across three age groups.

A club graphic showing how the new nets would look.
The appeal adds:
“There is a real lack of quality net facilities in North Yorkshire. We believe we can build an outstanding facility that will serve our players, their families, and the broader cricketing community for years to come.”
You can support the campaign here.
Stump Cross owners in last push to raise £130,000 target by Christmas Day
A crowdfunding campaign offering people the chance to win a flat in Pateley Bridge is set to end on Christmas Day.
Lisa Bowerman and her fiancé Nick launched their competition through Crowdfunder 20 months ago and hope to reach their £130,000 target by the time it closes at midday on December 25.
At the time of going to press, it had generated £103,000.
The campaign aims to raise enough money to install new lighting at Stump Cross Caverns. The current lights have been in place since 1948.
Ms Bowerman said this would not only “preserve and protect the cave” but also be more sustainable and environmentally friendly because the system would use less energy. The lights will only come on if there are people in the cave. Ms Bowerman also said that the new system would minimise algae growth.
Tickets to win Ms Bowerman’s one-bedroom apartment on Pateley Bridge High Street cost £10.

An image of the flat.
Ms Bowerman said:
“Once the winner is announced they can pick up the keys there and then.”
She explained there would need to be discussions with solicitors to change the property into the winner’s name, but after that it’s theirs.
The couple have held multiple fundraisers to draw attention to the campaign, including their 105-hour sleepover in the caves that took place in October 2021.
Lisa and Nick have also been taking part in a 105-day bike challenge to raise money for the campaign. The number of days relates to Geoff Workman, who lived in the cavern for 105 days on his own in 1963.
More recently, they held another sleepover in the cave, where they took 12 people down with them from 9pm to 9am.
Ms Bowerman said:
“It was full within hours of launching the idea.”
However, of the 12 that Ms Bowerman took down, only eight lasted the full 12 hours because of the cold and damp.
Read more:
- Stump Cross Caverns owners live underground for 105 hours
- Stump Cross owners to raffle their £130,000 flat
In the lead up to the closing date, Ms Bowerman has been doing “everything she can” to get the message out there, including updating social media platforms including TikTok “every waking minute” to try to reach as many people as possible.

Lisa and Nick want to improve the cave lighting.
Stump Cross Caverns has awarded free meals in the cafe and cinema to the public as part of their marketing drive.
Ms Bowerman said that when the lights are being fitted, the caves will close for a period of time.
If the campaign does not reach its target of £130,00 by midday on Christmas day then the supporters will receive a full refund and the campaign will be declared unsuccessful.
Click here to visit the Crowdfunder page.