Harrogate GP to become town’s next mayorNew mobile GP clinic could be trialled in Pateley BridgeRated: How do patients feel about GP practices in the Harrogate district?Moss Healthcare set for Killinghall return?‘A huge disappointment’: Ripon GP surgery responds to merger announcement

Ripon Spa Surgery has responded to an announcement that a merger between GP practices in the city will move forward without it.

Last year, the NHS proposed merging the city’s Ripon Spa Surgery with North House Surgery and Park Street Surgery.

However, in an update sent to patients on Friday, partners at Park Street Surgery and Park Street said they will be moving forward with the merger but without Ripon Spa Surgery.

This was after they said it was found to be in after it was found to be in an “unexpectedly poor financial position” during the due diligence process.

The partners at Ripon Spa Surgery have now issued a joint statement to the Local Democracy Reporting Service that outlined their sadness at the decision.

They sought to reassure patients that the practice remains financially viable and said bosses are looking to make improvements in the coming months.

Dr Charles McEvoy, Dr Penny McEvoy, Dr Matt Mielcarek and managing partner Samantha Miles said:

“Due to the extremely difficult financial climate that general practice is facing, along with some specific challenges we have faced in the past couple of years, it will not be possible to bring our finances in line with the other practices in Ripon in time for the merger to proceed as planned.

“Although we still wanted to be part of the merger, it is with heavy hearts that we must acknowledge North House and Park Street’s decision not to proceed. This is truly sad and a huge disappointment for us, but we must emphasise that we remain financially viable as a business and will be working hard to improve the situation over the coming months.

“We are already discussing the way forward, both as a partnership and as a practice team, in order that we can continue to provide a service to our patients and safeguard the future of our practice for staff and patients alike.”

The merger between North House Surgery and Park Street Surgery will take place before October 2024. The new practice will be called Fountains Health.

The two practices will close for four afternoons over the next six months so staff can be brought together to prepare for the merger.


Read more:


Moss Healthcare announces death of long-serving doctor

A retired Harrogate GP who treated patients for three decades has died at the age of 95.

Dr Christopher Watson began working at Moss Healthcare Harrogate in 1959.

The practice, which has sites on King’s Road and Jennyfields in Harrogate and in Killinghall, said in a social media post yesterday that he died on December 6.

Dr Nick Taylor, a senior partner at Moss Healthcare, said:

“Dr Chris Watson served as a GP at Moss for over 30 years; it is with sadness that we announce his death at the age of 95.

“Many of our older patients will remember his kindness and family orientation, he was a wonderful family doctor”

Dr Watson’s funeral will be held at 2.45pm on 19 December, at St Mark’s Church on Leeds Road.


Read more:


 

Harrogate man given two weeks to live calls for more blood cancer research

A man from a village near Harrogate who was told he had two weeks to live is backing a research project to find new treatments for cancer.

Stephen Young, 73, who lives in Brackenthwaite, experienced unusual symptoms last summer including a constantly bleeding nose, a rash on his face, mouth ulcers and shortness of breath.

His GP initially treated him for rosacea and gave him a nasal cream, but the symptoms worsened.

When Stephen returned to the doctor, he had blood tests and was offered a chest x-ray – which revealed a major infection in his lungs.

After being sent by ambulance to A&E at Harrogate District Hospital, company chairman Stephen was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML). The blood cancer claims more than 2,600 lives a year in the UK – and Stephen’s case was so advanced he was told that, without treatment, he had just two weeks to live.

He said:

“Treatment began at 2am in the morning on July 2. By 4am, the team had started my first round of chemo and treatment for my chest infection which remained a stubborn complication for a further three weeks.

“It was touch and go whether I would pull through.”

Stephen Young

Fortunately, the treatment was effective and, nine months on, Stephen is in remission and is hoping for a stem cell transplant later this year to improve his long-term prognosis.

However, the impact on his life continues. He said:

“AML treatment compromises the immune system and makes you very vulnerable to any and all infections. The threat of sepsis is ever-present.

“The need for social distancing between me and my loved ones, and being unable to hug and play with my grandchildren is, for me, AML’s greatest torment.”


Read more:


With World AML Day being marked next Friday, April 21, Leukaemia UK is calling on people to help fund more research into the disease and improve the survival rates. Chief executive Fiona Hazell said:

“Important discoveries are happening all the time within leukaemia research.

“With just 15% of AML patients surviving longer than five years after their diagnosis, it’s clear that more effective, kinder, targeted treatments are critically needed. At Leukaemia UK, we know that research has the power to one day stop leukaemia devastating lives.”

Funding from Leukaemia UK has already helped Dr Konstantinos Tzelepis at a research team at the University of Cambridge to discover a new drug which targets a key protein involved in AML growth and survival.

The charity has now announced funding for a new project which will look at ways to target another protein in the disease.

Stephen’s wife Eugenie said:

We were completely traumatised when the doctor told us Steve had acute myeloid leukaemia. That’s why I am so committed to joining the campaign to raise awareness about blood cancer symptoms.

“The earlier the disease is spotted the better the chance of successful treatment, prognosis and quality of life.”

As well as helping to fund research, Leukaemia UK is urging people to be aware of the symptoms and visit their GP if they are concerned. Diagnosis can often be delayed, frequently happening in A&E when a patient is severely unwell, because the signs can be confused with other, more common symptoms.

Ms Hazell added:

“As with many diseases, earlier diagnosis improves the chances of successful treatment.

“We want to encourage people to trust their instincts when something is wrong and visit their GP to push for that all important blood test, which is the only way to properly diagnose AML.”

Bilton man says government is failing young people with mental health issues

A man from Bilton who battled undiagnosed Post-traumatic stress disorder for six years says the government is failing young people with mental health issues due to a lack of funding.

Ben Rothery, 22, said his mental health first began to suffer as a teenager when he struggled to come to terms with his sexuality and was bullied by other children.

He also developed a problematic relationship with food and his weight increased to 18 stone.

The bullying led to a suicide attempt aged 16 and further traumatic events at university increased his suffering. Despite seeking help through the NHS several times, they were unable to diagnose what was wrong with him.

He said in one year, he told at least 10 people within the NHS about the same traumatic experiences.

He said:

“I shut everything positive out of my life. I didn’t know what was going on.”

Huge waiting lists

After his suicide attempt six years ago, he was first referred by his GP to CAMHS, an NHS service for young people with mental health problems.

Mr Rothery said the waiting list was “huge” but he was offered regular sessions for a year.

He was one of the lucky ones, with reports of some young people waiting up to two years for sessions.

Whilst helpful, he said CAMHS was unable to diagnose him with any mental health condition, which left him confused.

Things began to improve at school, and after coming out as gay during his school’s 6th form prom, his confidence improved. He went to university in York to train to be a teacher and his future looked bright.

He said:

“It was the happiest I’d ever been. I finally looked in mirror and that was who I wanted to be.”

But whilst at university, his mental health began to suffer again. He starved himself and lost six stone in just two months.

He then suffered a painful fallout with people he thought were friends and faced more bullying.

He bought a pride flag that he hoped to take to his first Harrogate Pride event. However, somebody went into his bedroom, urinated on it and posted a video all over social media. He said he then “isolated himself completely”.

Retreating into own world

When the first covid lockdown happened in March 2020, Mr Rothery said “the world stopped when I needed it to stop”.

He dropped out of university with thousands of pounds worth of debt, moved back home to Harrogate with his family, and retreated into his own world.

He said the experience at university was traumatic and he didn’t feel like he could talk about it.

People said, ‘it’s just drama’ but it really affected me. It was like being so high up, feeling like you made it in life, then plummeting straight back down. I was lower than when I tried to commit suicide at 16″.


Read more:


Seeking help

In early 2021, Mr Rothery decided to seek help again. His GP referred him to IAPT, an NHS talking therapy service.

But he was offered just three hours of CBT treatment and it didn’t address his problems. He was still desperately seeking a diagnosis and an answer to why he was feeling so bad.

He said:

“I thought I had anxiety that had spiralled out of control. I had looked into PTSD, but I thought only people who had suffered really extreme things, like soldiers or victims of sexual assault had that.

“I felt like I hadn’t been listened to. Everybody I spoke to didn’t understand my problems.”

He said he carried on struggling until late last year when he had a “complete meltdown” and contemplated suicide again.

“I sat sobbing in my bedroom. I thought, I don’t want to leave my mum and dad. I saw how my previous suicide attempt made them feel. But I just thought, I don’t want to wake up.”

Next therapist

With his mental health problems now at an all-time low, he visited his GP again.

The doctor presented him with two options: go back to IAPT again or take medication. But he didn’t want to rely on chemicals to feel better.

Fortunately, his dad, who is a painter and decorator, had a customer in Harrogate who is a trained therapist. A deal was agreed where he would do work for her in return for offering sessions for Ben.

Private therapy sessions usually start at least £50 an hour, out of reach for most young people in Harrogate on lower salaries, so the offer changed his life.

He said it was the first time somebody had listened and told him what was wrong with him: PTSD brought on by the traumatic events of his teenage years and at university.

“That was the first time somebody told me what was wrong with me.

“It’s like a filing cabinet that has been thrown over and reorganising. It was the first time I’d felt listened to. I felt like I’d achieved something. For six years since 16 I’d been trying to get support but nobody seemed to know what to do.”

Doing better now

Mr Rothery says since the private therapy sessions finished he is doing much better. He has a fulfilling job and a good support network including his mum and dad.

But he fears that there are countless other people in Harrogate who are suffering with poor mental health in silence⁠ —and they are unable to afford expensive private therapy sessions that could make all the difference.

A report published in May by Harrogate-based Healthwatch North Yorkshire found that 72% of young people said they had experienced mental health or well-being issues in the past year.

Mr Rothery said:

“The biggest frustration for me is that anybody who didn’t have a support system at home like me would not have survived as long as I did. It crossed my mind that i could stop it all with one solution, but I’d be giving up. If i was to commit suicide, I’d give up all this fight.”

He added:

“If everybody tried to get help and came forward to their GPs, maybe more would be done.”

GPs back campaign for reform as Harrogate district practices ‘running on empty’

GPs across the Harrogate district have called for urgent public support to ensure the area’s practices can remain viable.

Local practices have publicly backed national campaign Rebuild General Practice, highlighting the need for urgent reform to keep doctors and patients safe.

Leeds Road Practice in Harrogate and Beech House Surgery in Knaresborough are among those to have shared a letter on their social media pages which highlights the pressures facing GPs.

The strongly-worded letter states that a quarter of GPs know a colleague who has taken their life because of work pressures, and almost 90% say they do not feel safe at work.

“General practice is in crisis. Not because of us, or the staff who work with us.

“It is because of decades of underfunding and neglect, broken government promises and political contempt for you – our patients – that the system is fractured.

“This crisis is putting you – and us – at an increased risk.”

In the Harrogate district, the statutory body representing and supporting GPs, YORLMC, is backing the campaign.

Dr Brian McGregor of YORLMCIts medical secretary, Dr Brian McGregor, told the Stray Ferret the district’s GPs are working extremely long hours, often unable to take holidays because there is no cover, and worried about burnout and making mistakes.

The national campaign for reform has been launched in association with Jeremy Hunt. As chairman of the health select committee, Dr McGregor said Mr Hunt believes general practice needs investment and support from the government.

Retention

In 2016, he said thousands of new GPs were needed and a recruitment campaign began. However, Dr McGregor said, they “completely took their eye off the ball” when it came to retention.

“We’re now in the position where we’re about 1,600 GPs down compared to 2016, but providing four times more appointments in a month.”

Some of that increase in appointments being provided is thanks to the rise of virtual and phone consultations during covid. They require less time than face-to-face appointments and are suitable for many patients’ needs, he said.

However, there are many cases where a face-to-face appointment is necessary, but he said demand for those is extremely high following the covid pandemic.

“Patients want good access to general practice but, as the numbers drop down and the demand has gone up, it’s not that the GPs aren’t working, it’s that the appointment you want has gone to your neighbour who called a bit quicker than you.”


Read more:


Dr McGregor said the situation in the Harrogate district has been exacerbated by house building, putting pressure on existing practices to accommodate more patients.

He said although housing developers have put money into pots for infrastructure including GP services, no new practices have been built or even planned across the district.

He added:

“Historically, Harrogate has been very attractive as a place to work compared to other areas in North Yorkshire which have struggled to recruit.

“Now, everywhere is struggling. Practices in Harrogate are advertising two, three, four times for places they can’t fill.

“In Scarborough, they were 1.5 GPs down per practice three or four years ago. Now Harrogate is getting to that position too.”

Backlog

While hospital waiting times have been in the headlines repeatedly since the beginning of the covid pandemic, Dr McGregor said the number of hospital doctors has actually risen by around 20% in that time – while GP numbers have dropped by up to 4%.

Hospitals and secondary care have been allocated £20bn of government money to deal with the backlog of work caused by covid, he said, but general practice has received nothing.

Now, through the Rebuild General Practice campaign, GPs are calling for the workplace plan, promised by the government in 2019, to be created.

It would set out how the problem of falling GP numbers would be tackled, focusing on retention as well as recruitment, and ensuring GPs can work in a way that is safe for both them and their patients.

“It’s really about recognising GPs are doing their best in very difficult circumstances. Just a simple ‘thank you’ rather than some of the aggression and abuse they are getting would help.

“Your GPs are working as hard as they can and providing as much access as they can and trying to keep everybody safe.

“We want to support patients in every way we can, but it’s about letting them know we are running on empty.”

New group launches for Harrogate women with menopause

A proposal to set up a group for women dealing with symptoms of the menopause has received an “overwhelming” response from the community.

Vic Smith-Dunn, who runs Harrogate-based social enterprise MyLifePool, posted the idea on the group’s Facebook page this week.

Within just a couple of hours she had numerous comments from people saying it was desperately needed. With a date for its first meeting arranged, more than 25 people signed up straight away.

Vic said:

“When you go to your GP, they haven’t necessarily been given a full in-depth education about perimenopause. Being able to say, ‘is this a possibility?’ and ‘maybe I could do this or that?’ can be helpful, but where do you find the information in the first place?

“The idea of the group is to share information – it’s about women supporting women.”

The inspiration for the group came from Vic’s own experience of perimenopause, which she said left her worried about her health. However, speaking to other women going through the same thing gave her reassurance that hormonal changes were to blame for her symptoms, including loss of memory and depression.


Read more:


When the group first meets on May 25, biochemist and nutritionist Linda Le Floch from Quality Health Foods in the Westminster Arcade will give some tips on ways to manage symptoms.

There will also be opportunities for women to submit questions in advance or ask them on the night, and to share their own stories and advice about dealing with the impact of menopause.

The way the group operates will be guided by its members, who will be able to meet for coffee, nights out and other events as frequently as they wish.

Vic also hopes to put on a larger event in future, including information for husbands and partners supporting women through menopause. She said:

“My husband did a whole load of research and got to understand the hormone imbalance so he was able to explain to me what was going on. I just wasn’t able to do that at the time.

“Without that understanding, so many marriages break down because men don’t understand what their wives are going through – the women don’t always understand it themselves.”

To book a place at the event on May 25, click here.