Fire forced Allerton Park treatment plant to close at a cost of £270,000Report prompts fresh concerns about performance of Allerton Park waste plant‘Significant blockage’ causes increase in landfill at Allerton ParkRats forced treatment plant at Allerton Park incinerator ‘offline’ for four daysCouncil explains Allerton Park incinerator’s failure to meet recycling targetHow does the £1.2 billion Allerton Park incinerator work?Allerton Park incinerator continues to miss recycling targetCampaigners step-up fight against Allerton asphalt plant

More than 1,000 residents have now objected to plans to build an asphalt plant next to the Allerton waste incinerator, between Knaresborough and Boroughbridge.

Andrew Jones, the Conservative MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough, joined about 100 campaigners fighting the proposal at Marton cum Grafton village hall on Saturday.

Mr Jones told the meeting organised by Communities Against Toxins he too was against the proposal, adding:

“The reasons are two-fold and to do with both head and heart. The heart brings the community together to show this is not welcome, and the head tells you that the dangers of pollution – both air pollution and water pollution – are major risks.

“Campaigners have done an incredible job marshalling the arguments and I hope when councillors come to consider the application they act on these concerns and turn the application down.

“This is the wrong idea in the wrong location.”

Campaign organiser Michael Emsley (left) talks to Andrew Jones.

 

Campaigners at the meeting.

Tynedale Roadstone Ltd plans to build the asphalt plant at the Allerton Waste Recovery Park.

A 22.5-metre exhaust stack would emit fumes containing carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and lead.

The group fears people living within a three-to-nine kilometre radius of the site would be affected by potentially harmful pollutants.

Communities Against Toxins organiser Michael Emsley wants to put pressure on North Yorkshire Council to scrutinise the proposal’s environmental impacts assessment.

He said:

“We do not believe this plant should be built in this location and we will continue to do all that we can to fight it.

“We will not stop. We will make sure that when North Yorkshire Council sit down to make its decision, they are in no doubt as to what the local communities think and that our concerns regarding the EIA have been addressed.”


Read more:


 

£1.2bn Allerton Park incinerator recycling rate worsens

The £1.2 billion Allerton Park waste recovery plant continues to be dogged by mixed performance more than four years after being launched.

The waste recovery plant and incinerator between Knaresborough and Boroughbridge takes 220,000 tonnes of waste collected by councils in York and North Yorkshire and 50,000 tonnes of business waste annually,

A performance report has revealed it is significantly exceeding its target for diverting waste from landfill, achieving almost 90%.

However, it is recycling and composting just over one per cent of the waste, against a target of 5%.

North Yorkshire and City of York councils awarded a contract to private company AmeyCespa to create the facility in 2014 following a high-profile battle with residents of villages surrounding the plant, such as Marton-cum-Grafton.

Last year councillors raised concerns over the plant’s recycling performance after it emerged it had never met its recycling targets, leading the councils to levy £653,000 in performance deductions for the first three years of its operations.

An officer’s report to a meeting of the county council’s transport, economy and environment scrutiny committee next Thursday shows the plant’s recycling performance has marginally worsened during the last year.

The report states issues with the mechanical treatment equipment meant sometimes the plant had to be run in by-pass mode, which meant recyclates were not extracted.


Read more:


The report states following maintenance works this year the mechanical treatment performance has significantly improved, with Amey forecasting recycling performance to rise to almost half the targeted proportion.

However, the amount of unplanned downtime at the energy from waste plant significantly improved this year, falling from 61 days to 29, which allowed more waste to be processed.

The report states the latest figures show the best year to date for landfill diversion and energy from waste.

The report concludes further opportunities are being explored with the councils, Amey and Yorwaste seek “to optimise the types of waste delivered to the plant” to secure continued performance improvements.

The county council’s executive member for open to business, Conservative councillor Derek Bastiman, said while the recycling target remained well below what was wanted, the lack of improvement this year had been largely due to unforeseen mechanical issues.

He said the energy from waste scheme had proven to be a good investment by the councils.

Ouseburn division Green Party councillor Arnold Wareneken said any profits from the scheme should be used to increase recycling rates.

He said:

“We need to recycle the money as well – it just needs a bit more investment. The problem I see is we are not collecting food waste separately or enough food waste from industry. 

“All local authorities are meant to be collecting food waste. 

“We have got to make it more easier for people to put compostable waste in wheelie bins.”

£1.2bn Knaresborough incinerator has never met recycling targets

Environmental concerns have been raised over the performance of a controversial £1.2 billion waste recovery plant near Knaresborough after it emerged it has never met recycling targets.

A meeting of North Yorkshire County Council’s transport, environment and economy scrutiny committee heard councillors question whether the Allerton Park Waste Recovery venture had turned out to be fundamentally flawed.

The council awarded a contract to private company AmeyCespa to create the facility in 2014. It can process up to 320,000 tonnes of waste per year from York and North Yorkshire councils.

Peter Jeffreys, head of waste for both York and North Yorkshire councils told the meeting that since the site was launched in March 2018 “it’s been a slightly rocky start”, but there were a lot of positive signs that the plant was moving in the right direction.

He said councils were paying £3 less per tonne of waste than was forecast before the plant, which takes 220,000 tonnes of public waste and 50,000 tonnes of business waste annually, became operational.

A report to the meeting detailed how the councils had set a target of recycling or composting five per cent of the household waste it received, but the amount actually recycled or composted was between one and two per cent.

As a result of missing the targets, the councils levied AmeyCespa with a total of £653,000 in performance deductions for the first three years of the operation alone.

Mr Jeffreys said: 

“Whilst we are levying those reductions it doesn’t give us any satisfaction. We would far rather they hit the targets.”

Mr Jeffreys said the environmental targets had been missed partly because the mechanical treatment part of the plant had not been reliable. He said Amey had reconfigured the plant to push more materials through the mechanical treatment process.


Read more:


He said covid had led to staff shortages, which had seen the mechanical treatment area bypassed on some occasions.

25-year contract

In response, some councillors questioned whether the system was proving as much as a success as had been forecast when the scheme was approved amid a public outcry.

Cllr David Goode, a Liberal Democrat who represents Knaresborough, said the situation did not appear as positive as the council was making out, having missed key targets since the operation launched.

He said he was “struggling” with the initiative, bearing in mind the authority’s carbon reduction strategy, the government’s revised policies over waste management and the drive towards reducing reliance on single use items.

Cllr Goode said: 

“And then I look at a 25-year contract that seems to encourage us to maximise that amount of waste we are putting through to get the financial returns that we’re looking for and a government strategy that seems to indicate we would have to fundamentally change the nature of the contract that we have currently got.”

Mr Jeffreys said the authority was not “incentivising maximising waste”, but rather was finding a good end destination for business waste that could otherwise end up in landfill.”

‘Fantastic asset’

The committee’s chairman, Cllr Stanley Lumley, a Conservative who represents Pateley Bridge, said:

“Allerton waste plant was very controversial when it was going through the process of council and planning. I think it’s proved to be a fantastic asset for North Yorkshire.”

The council’s waste executive director Cllr Derek Bastiman said after visiting the site he was encouraged to see the amount of cardboard and plastic that was recovered from general waste.

He said: 

“It’s still the families that need educating on keeping their waste clean, whether that’s plastic bottle or cardboard.

“If they did that then we could recycle more than we do. If families could just be a bit more considerate when disposing of their waste that would certainly help with our figures.”