Work to repair a leaking sewer pipe on the River Ure at Sharow, near Ripon, looks set to last another fortnight.
Several vehicles and staff have been working round the clock for more than a week to fix the pipe at the pumping station on Sharow Lane.
Yorkshire Water said on Wednesday the leak had caused “short term” discharge into the Ure on December 30.
Yesterday a large tree was felled at the site where work is taking place.
In an update today. a Yorkshire Water spokesman said:
“The repairs, due to the depth and complexity, could take two weeks to complete. Our teams are working hard to carry out the work as quickly as possible and we apologise for the disruption caused.
“The length of the repair is due to the depth of the excavation and location which makes it complex.”

Vehicles are still at the scene of the incident.
The spokesman said the tree had to be felled because nearby repair work was taking place five metres below the surface and “there were concerns the dig could cause the tree to fall onto the site where people were working”.
He added there had been no further discharge since the pipe was isolated on December 30 and Yorkshire Water had not received any reports of fish deaths.
Read more:
- Sharow pub owner appeals housing plan refusal
- Owner of Ripon celebrity cat Badger overwhelmed by support
- Sewage discharged into River Ure near Ripon after pipe leaks
One Sharow villager, who asked not to be named, said the number of vehicles working at the site over several days suggested “the scale and severity of what’s happened must be significant”.
Yorkshire Water, however, has said it “believes there was a low impact on the environment due to the speed at which the pipe was isolated”, adding:
“Our teams attended quickly, isolated the main and began a tankering operation to prevent further wastewater entering the river and ensure customers could continue to use their services, as well as informing the Environment Agency of the incident.”
Operations cancelled after leak at Harrogate hospital
Harrogate District Hospital has apologised after cancelling patients’ planned surgeries with less than 24 hours’ notice during the Christmas break.
One patient, who asked not to be named, said she was due to have essential orthopaedic surgery last Friday, December 30.
However, she received a call at lunchtime on Thursday to say there had been a leak and the operating theatre was out of use.
Due to go into hospital at 7am the next day, she instead had her surgery cancelled and no new date provided.
She told the Stray Ferret:
“The not knowing is really uncomfortable. I understand that these things happen, but why can’t they reschedule the surgeries out to other hospitals or get us some more information?
“The problem was discovered last week. They’ve had a week to make arrangements and it’s still not sorted.”
Read more:
- Harrogate hospital nurses to go on strike next month
- 500 Harrogate hospital staff apply for cost-of-living hardship fund
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said the last-minute cancellation was down to a water leak the basement, near the air handling units for the operating theatre.
A spokesperson said:
“Whilst the leak was quickly repaired and minimal damage occurred, the basement needed to be dried and the air handling units inspected by a specialist engineer to ensure they were safe to use.
“Unfortunately, as the air handling units provide ventilation and filter the air within our main operating theatres, it was necessary to cancel some, but not all, elective surgery that had been planned for that day.
“We are committed to providing the best possible healthcare for our community and as a priority we have now re-arranged the non-critical operations that were cancelled. We contacted all those affected, but we would like to reiterate our apologies for having to re-arrange their surgery.
“The air handling units have been inspected and passed checks, and planned activity in our operating theatres has been taking place this week.”
The patient, who is self-employed and works in the wedding industry, said she had been waiting for the last year to get a date for her surgery.
She had been offered a slot in the summer but, as it was at the height of the season, she had to turn it down or face losing all her business for the year.
She was then offered the December date around eight weeks ago. The new date had been ideal, she said, as it would give her the required time to recover before this year’s wedding season began in spring.
She said:
Fears up to 3 million litres of water wasted during lengthy Ripon leak“It’s 12 weeks’ recovery – that’s why it has such a big impact when it’s postponed, because you have got to rearrange your whole life.
“Our season starts in April. I have a very physical job and I need to be able to move around.
“My husband had taken time off work. He’s a solicitor and hadn’t booked in any appointments this week so he could be at home to help me.
“Cancelling like this has massive implications for people’s lives.”
There are fears up to three million litres of water went to waste in Ripon yesterday, after a Yorkshire Water mains pipe burst on North Street.
The pipe burst at around 5am and meant around 4,000 homes in Ripon and the surrounding area woke up to no water.
It wasn’t fully restored until 7pm later in the day, with the company setting up two emergency bottled water stations at Ripon fire station and Ripon Racecourse for residents.

Emergency bottled water stations were set up in the city.
The Bishop of Ripon was among those criticising Yorkshire Water’s response to customers, saying its lack of communication was “unacceptable”.
https://twitter.com/HartleyHAM/status/1560284278331678720
A source at the scene told the Stray Ferret that engineers working on the leak said 70 litres of water were lost every second before it was fixed.
In a 12-hour period, this would have meant over three million litres could have been lost in total.
We put this figure to Yorkshire Water. A spokesperson said the figure was “inaccurate” but was unable to say how much water had been lost.
They said as soon as the leak was located engineers managed to stem the flow.
However, according to the company’s Twitter account, the leak wasn’t identified until 12pm, seven hours after it was first reported.
This suggests between 1.5 million and 2 million litres of water could have been lost.

Engineers on the scene Pic: Paul Smith
Read more:
The burst main has come at a bad time for Yorkshire Water. The Harrogate district is now officially in drought and a hosepipe ban will come into force from August 26.
We asked Yorkshire Water what caused the leak and a spokesperson sent the following statement:
Harrogate theatre roof repairs could be finished this month“Our pipework has been under a lot of pressure recently – with high peaks of water usage and the dry ground causing soil to contract, which causes pipes to fracture more easily. We’ve increased resource in our field teams over the last few weeks, so that we can catch more small leaks before they turn into bursts and fix the big bursts as soon as possible.
“It took a little bit longer than usual to locate the burst pipe and complete the fix yesterday, as it was underground and tricky to locate. We delivered bottled water to customers on our priority services register and updated our customers via the website, social media and text, as to where they could collect bottled water.
“We’re grateful to our customers for their patience whilst we fixed the issue – those eligible for compensation in relation to the water supply interruption will receive it automatically.”
The longstanding roof repairs at Harrogate Theatre could be finished this month, it was announced today after another performance was cancelled due to a leak at the weekend.
The final performance of Kinky Boots, by Harrogate Operatic Players, was cancelled at late notice on Saturday night after a backstage leak raised concerns about the electrics.
The decision, taken on safety grounds after a day of heavy rain, disappointed both performers and audience alike.
Some audience members had already taken their seats so the cast chose to perform a few numbers from the award-winning musical with just the house lights on.

Work to replace the roof has been taking place since May.
It is not the first time a performance has been cancelled due to a leak since the roof repairs began. The recent pantomime season was also affected.
Read more:
- Robot polar bear and 18m whale set to tour Harrogate district
- Pianist Stephen Hough to return to Harrogate next month
Work to replace the 121-year old Victorian theatre roof began in May. It was due to finish in September but this was put back to March.
David Bown, chief executive of the theatre, said today it could be finished this month if there are no further incidents. He said:
Leak at Harrogate Theatre causes last minute cancellation of Kinky Boots“The last time I spoke to the contractors they were ahead of schedule, it could even be the end of this month. The area that was leaking was backstage and that has been repaired.
We’d only cancel a show if absolutely necessary but the safety of everyone in the theatre had to take priority.”
Harrogate Theatre cancelled a performance of Kinky Boots at late notice last night due to another leak at the venue.
Harrogate Operatic Players was due to give its final performance of the musical, which has won six Tony Awards.
The show has taken place nightly in the town since Tuesday and had a matinee and evening performance lined up yesterday.
But the theatre cancelled the evening event at late notice, disappointing theatre goers, after a day of heavy rain.
The cast did come out to perform the finale to a standing ovation.
Harrogate Operatic Players posted on its Facebook page:
“The whole cast and crew are absolutely devastated, especially when their family and friends have travelled near and far to come see this show.“We sincerely apologise to our audience this evening for this inconvenience, we know how much you were looking forward to see us in action.“For those who came tonight and gave us a standing ovation just for singing the finale number to you, thank you so much for your positive reaction, seeing you all up on your feet and dancing made us feel like we had 100% support behind us.”
Second recent leak
The theatre said on social media a leak on stage had made the venue unsafe and apologised to customers.
“Unfortunately an onstage leak has made it unsafe to continue despite the company and the theatre’s best efforts.”
We’d like to extend our apologies to the audience, cast and crew of Kinky Boots for the late cancellation of the performance this evening. We know the huge effort, dedication and passion that goes into community performances and decisions to cancel are not taken lightly.
1/2
— Harrogate Theatre (@HGtheatre) February 5, 2022
It isn’t the first time the Victorian theatre, which is undergoing roof repairs, has called off a show due to a leak.
The recent pantomime season was also affected.
Work to replace the 121-year old theatre roof has been taking place since May. It was due to finish in September but this was put back to March.
Comments on the theatre’s Facebook page included:
“So gutted but also sad for the cast, safety comes first. You could tell they were devastated.”
And:
“I really feel for everyone involved as I know how much the last night is looked forward to and enjoyed by all.”
Engineers tackle major pipe burst on Otley Road in Harrogate
Water was gushing down Otley Road in Harrogate this morning after a pipe burst near the junction with Pannal Ash Drive.
Flowing downhill, the water reached past Harrogate Grammar School, as well as down Cold Bath Road where it was running into driveways and towards garages.
On Otley Road, sandbags had been placed at the door to a flat above So! Bar and Eats to stop the water running into the property.
Engineers from Yorkshire Water were on the scene before 8am to repair the leak. A stop-go traffic control system was put in place and there was no sign of queuing.
Read more:
- Yorkshire Water launches affordable scheme for young farmers
- Harrogate high speed police chase ends in crash and arrest
Some households nearby have been warned to expect low water pressure until the problem is fixed. A spokesman for Yorkshire Water said:
“A burst pipe on Otley Road was reported to us shortly after 6am, which caused some disruption to water supply for nearby properties. Our teams currently on site have isolated the leak, are restoring supply to customers and will be working to repair the burst pipe as soon as possible.”
Council leader threatens to expel person who leaked report to The Stray Ferret#HG2 #OtleyRoad We are now onsite for repair. Unplanned interruptions are normally completed within 4-6hrs and we will tweet when the issue is resolved. Thanks for you patience. pic.twitter.com/jUEks1LhSw
— Yorkshire Water Help (@YWHelp) August 11, 2020
Harrogate Borough Council’s leader has threatened to expel the leaker of confidential cabinet report which detailed the financial state of the town’s convention centre.
Cllr Richard Cooper told a meeting of the full council last night that if the leaker was found to be from the ruling Conservative group, he would expel them and call on them to stand down from the council.
It comes after a report leaked to the Stray Ferret warned HCC, which is subsidised by taxpayers, “will not survive” unless councillors approved an investment project and detailed the dire financial state of the venue. The leak is now being investigated by the council’s chief executive, Wallace Sampson.
Read more:
-
£60m or £35m: What is the value of Harrogate Convention Centre to the district?
- HCC upgrade : ‘£46.8m is enough to regain a strong place in the market’
Cllr Cooper called for a commitment from Liberal Democrat leader, Cllr Pat Marsh, to also expel any member of her group if they were found to have leaked the document.
He said:
“I think it is important that as leaders of groups we demonstrate that we do not support leaking of confidential information, particularly when the information damages the economy of the district.
“I have already told members of my own group that if the chief executive’s investigation reveals that one of them leaked these reports I will be expelling them from the Conservative group and calling upon them to resign from the council completely.”
Cllr Marsh agreed to the council leader’s commitment to expel the leaker if it is found to be a Liberal Democrat.
Tamsin O’Brien, the editor of the Stray Ferret, said:
“The report leaked to us contained information about the financial situation of Harrogate Convention Centre – it was not a matter of national security, but of taxpayers’ money.
“With a decision of this magnitude, which could lead to almost £50m of public money being spent, it is important that the public are given full access to the information behind the decision. The fact that the report was leaked demonstrates the level of concern around such a decision and how important it is for the public to be kept fully informed.
“It is vital that media organisations can scrutinise the actions of authorities and hold them to account, on behalf of taxpayers. The leaked report enabled us to give the public the full picture of the situation facing Harrogate Convention Centre, shining a light on the parts the council did not want people to know.”
Last night, councillors voted to spend £1 million on feasibility studies and design fees ahead of a potential £47 million investment in the HCC. The money will be spent ahead of a two phased redevelopment of the venue and a report on the business case for potential investment will return to the council at a later date.
Most of the £1 million cost would be borrowed, though council officers said that no sources of funding have yet been identified.
The Stray Ferret has a portal for contacting us anonymously and sending us confidential documents. We are grateful to anyone who gives us information of public importance. To find out more, click here.

