Pubs in the Harrogate district have voiced their disappointment at being placed in tier two at the end of lockdown.
Rick Jones, who owns the Water Rat and Valentino’s, said: “We were all praying for tier one. But with a very limited number of areas going into tier one it is not a surprise.”
He expects the impact of tier two to mean that business at the Water Rat pub will be down by around 30% compared to the same time last year.
Mr Jones added: “Celebratory casual drinks in December won’t be happening. There’s only so many times you can go out with your own household. There’s a vaccine in sight. We just have to face this and ride it out.”
Read more:
- Harrogate district to enter tier two restrictions
- R number falls below 1 in the Harrogate district
- Tier one hopes for Harrogate district fade away
While trade will be down for his pubs, wet-led pubs that cannot serve substantial meals with drinks have to close.
Richard Park, of the Little Ale House, also said: “It is something we were expecting but we are of course disappointed. It just makes no sense to close small, safe pubs like ours.
“Just because we don’t have the capacity to cook substantial meals, whatever that means, we are forced to keep our doors shut.”
Megan Fairweather, the social media secretary at Harrogate and Ripon CAMRA, added:
‘Vital’ that Harrogate hospitality reopens next week“After an agonising wait, licensees across the country have had their worst fears confirmed – in all but three council areas in the country, pubs will either be closed or only able to open if they are serving substantial meals.”
Hospitality bosses in Harrogate have said it is vital that the sector is able to reopen after the second national lockdown.
The country is expected to return to some form of tier restrictions on Thursday, December 3.
The Prime Minister is to make an announcement today on restrictions over Christmas and, before then, a tougher three-tiered system- although the 10pm closing time for pubs and restaurants could be relaxed.
It comes as public health bosses in North Yorkshire said the lowest tier under the last system “did not work” and that they expected it to be “somewhat stronger” after lockdown.
But owners of restaurants and pubs have said they need clarity in order to plan ahead for their businesses.
Read more:
- £7 million for Harrogate district businesses affected by covid
- Lockdown ‘at worst possible time for retail’ says Harrogate bookshop
- Coronavirus clinic to open at Harrogate community centre
Peter Banks, managing director of Rudding Park Hotel and Spa, which includes the Deer House pub, said it has been an “immensely frustrating” time for the sector.
He added that he wanted Prime Minister Boris Johnson to give clarity on what restrictions will be in place after the lockdown.
Mr Banks said:
“All I wish is that he would get a move on and tell me what I am supposed to be doing, because at the moment we are sitting and waiting and cannot plan.
“If I can’t reopen, then I can’t reopen. But if I can reopen then at least I can plan for it. Being stuck in limbo is just rubbish.”
Mr Banks added that, while it is “absolutely vital” for the sector to reopen, he could not see pubs and restaurants being open in two weeks’ time.
Meanwhile, Andy Barnsdale, general manager at the DoubleTree by Hilton Harrogate Majestic Hotel and Spa, said, while the hotel has lost Christmas parties, he was still hopeful ahead of the announcement.
He said:
“We are optimistic about being able to reopen on December 3, but to what level depends on what tier we are put in.
“This in turn will determine how many staff members we will bring back from furlough.
“Whilst we have cancelled Christmas parties, we are hopeful that we can still offer Christmas lunches and afternoon teas, as well as having our Majestic Winter Tepee open at weekends.”
Simon Cotton, managing director of the HRH Group which runs the Yorkshire Hotel, said it was important that hotels and bars could trade in December to see them through the start of next year.
He said:
“We are hoping to be open after December 2.
“I hope we open up in tier one. My fear is that we open up in tier two or three or another version of that.”
Dr Lincoln Sargeant, director of public health at North Yorkshire County Council, said the lowest tier, which the county was under before lockdown, “did not work” and had “no teeth”. He added that he expected it to be toughened up under the new system.
Police record 64 speeders in an hour in Harrogate operationPolice recorded more than one speeder per minute in an operation in Harrogate this month.
The camera was deployed on Leeds Road as part of a crackdown on speeding during the second lockdown, and its operator recorded 64 people exceeding the 30mph speed limit.
A deployment in Killinghall, meanwhile, captured more than 40 offences in 45 minutes, including one driver doing 56mph in the 30mph zone.
North Yorkshire Police said speeding has increased during lockdown, posing a greater risk because of the higher number of pedestrians, and they are taking “robust” action to deal with drivers. Criminal justice manager Andy Tooke said:
“Since lockdown two began, we’ve seen a marked increase in the number of motoring offences we’ve captured. We’ve also seen some terrible driving, particularly in our communities.
“These are places where children are going to school, and residents are going on walks – yet some motorists are barreling through these towns and villages at lethal speeds.
“At a time when communities are doing everything they can to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, driving through 30mph areas at twice the speed limit is sheer stupidity.
“It’s also illegal and we are responding robustly to enforce the law and keep residents and road users safe.”
Read more:
- District police hope week of action will keep knives off streets
- Police appeal for help finding wanted Harrogate man
Patrolling Harrogate’s streets during lockdown
Being a police traffic sergeant and father to a young child, Sergeant Paul Cording is used to being busy. Some nights he is the only traffic sergeant patrolling North Yorkshire’s 6,000 miles of roads.
But although the first lockdown decimated the volume of traffic on the roads, the second one has been far busier — and more challenging in some ways. He says:
“We’ve seen more high end speeding. That could be a result of less traffic on the road and people thinking they can use it as a race track.”
Sgt Cording, 49, who lives in Harrogate, said there have also been more incidents involving drink and drug drivers and more domestic incidents. But late night alcohol disturbances are down.
14,000 Twitter followers
Sgt Cording’s sometimes shocking tweets about life on the frontline have brought him a near-14,000 following,
North Yorkshire Police trust him to communicate directly with journalists and the wider public in his warm, engaging manner.
He weaves personal anecdotes, such as cannabis drivers, chasing suspected poachers and a colleague being bitten by a person with covid, with more serious messages, such as promoting the charity Brake’s road safety week.
Read more:
- Almost 90 arrests in three years as police tackle county lines drug crime
- Police arrest man after incident in Harrogate Town centre
He says there were “some issues” within the force when he started tweeting in 2011 but increasingly the police recognise the value of officers engaging directly with the public and showing a bit of personality rather than parroting corporate lines.
“You have to be engaging otherwise there’s no point.”
A former RAF man, he works from 7am to 7pm for two consecutive days, then from 7pm to 7am for two consecutive nights then has four days off. What has been his most distressing incident?
“Being first on the scene of a fatal road traffic accident involving one of my colleagues. She was hit by a speeding drink and drug driver.”
Likes a beer
Since joining the police in 2001, Sgt Cording says there has been “huge progress” in looking after officers’ mental health by providing welfare meetings, incident briefings and trauma incident management. But some things are never forgotten.
To unwind, he spends time with his wife and three-year-old son, plays hockey, runs and “likes a beer”.
He tries to answer every direct message he receives on Twitter.
£7 million for Harrogate district businesses affected by covid“I’ve only ever had to block two people and that’s because I didn’t want to buy any Raybans and because I’m a happily married man. Read into that what you will!”
Government grants worth more than £7 million will be awarded to Harrogate district businesses affected by lockdown.
The government announced the funding after non-essential shops, pubs and restaurants were forced to close throughout November.
Businesses in the district have faced a tough time during the lockdown, with some saying it came at the “worst possible time”.
Now the borough council has been given £7,127,446 in total to support businesses affected by the lockdown.
Read more:
- Lockdown ‘at worst possible time for retail’ says Harrogate bookshop
- Harrogate and Ripon self-employed angry and fearful of second lockdown
- New Harrogate lockdown shops say ‘fortune favours the brave
The funding is available in two separate grant streams.
The UK government’s Additional Restrictions Grant scheme is for businesses forced to close that do not directly pay business rates, as well as those that do not have to close but have been impacted by the lockdown.
This could include businesses that supply retail, hospitality and leisure services. However, the borough council has yet to open applications for the grants.
Open ‘as soon as possible’
Nadhim Zahawi MP, minister for business and industry, confirmed in a written statement to Parliament that local authorities have been allocated funding for the scheme. Harrogate Borough Council has been given £3,216,620.
A spokesperson for the authority said the scheme would be open “as soon as possible”.
The other tranche of funding is from the government’s Local Restrictions Support Grant, which the council will also administer.
The government has allocated the council £3,910,086 for the scheme, which would see businesses offered grants up to £3,000 depending on their rateable value.
It is aimed at businesses that were open as usual, but were then required to close by law due to the national lockdown for 28 days.
It will support “in-person services”, such as non-essential retail, leisure and hospitality.
To be eligible, businesses must have been forced to close for at least 14 days because of the restrictions, be unable to provide their usual in-person service and be paying business rates to qualify.
The borough council has opened applications for the local restrictions grant.
New Harrogate lockdown shops say ‘fortune favours the brave’Some people decided to decorate their house or get into a new hobby but some took it further by starting a new business in lockdown.
This has been a tough time for everyone. For those like Josh and Ellie at Paradise Tap and Taco or Ben at The Travel Journal it has presented unique challenges.
Both have set up new businesses in one of the toughest financial climates the Harrogate district has ever known.
With people told to stay home and “non-essential” shops told to close, it is tough for those starting out and making a name for themselves.
Read more:
- Harrogate Nightingale could be used as vaccination centre
- Nidd farming sisters save bull from drowning
Paradise Tap and Taco, which has just set up shop in the Coldbath Clubhouse, is one of those young businesses.
The couple used to run Major Tom’s Social and even had a couple of weeks of sold-out nights at Rooster’s Taproom with their tacos.
Ellie Stott and Josh Molloy are the couple behind the taco-based business, which wants to be a place for everyone. Josh said:
“We have been really blessed. Most Friday and Saturday nights before the lockdown we have had to turn people away.
“It has been difficult timing but we were able to get a government start-up loan. We sat on it for a little while before we found the perfect place.”

Ben Poole, the man behind The Travel Journal in Harrogate’s Montpellier Quarter, is facing a particularly tough climate for his business.
He opened his doors in September trading mainly on last-minute travel as quarantine rules make it difficult for people to plan ahead.
It may be a tough time for the travel industry but Ben remains buoyant about his prospects as he is one of the few travel agents with a prescence in town. He said:
Third covid death at Harrogate hospital since second lockdown“It is set up to work okay from home but I miss that face to face with customers. I think if you can sit it out then it will pay off in the end.
“Some people thought I was crazy when I opened but I saw a good opportunty to establish myself in Harrogate. So many come in to say it’s brave.”
Harrogate District Hospital has reported a third coronavirus deaths since the start of the second lockdown.
According to NHS England statistics today, the latest death was reported on November 9 and follows two deaths recorded on November 5.
They bring the total number of deaths at the hospital since the start of the pandemic to 91.
The number of covid patients in the hospital has nearly doubled since last week.
Today, county council bosses warned that North Yorkshire faces further restrictions after lockdown if infections are not brought under control.
Read more:
- Harrogate hospital coping well with covid, says chief executive
- Harrogate man who made 3,000 face shields steps up again
- Harrogate district misses out on mass coronavirus tests
Currently the county is above the national average for weekly case rates, with 280 cases per 100,000 people.
The England average is 245.
Scarborough’s rate is the highest of the seven North Yorkshire districts at 463, with Harrogate second on 294.
According to Public Health England figures, the Harrogate district recorded a further 64 positive cases in the last 24 hours.
It takes the total number since the start of the pandemic to 3,103.
Meanwhile, it was revealed at a press briefing today that the permanent testing site on Dragon Parade, in Harrogate is testing on average 200 people per day. The number is up on 150 last week.
Church bell chimes nightly in NidderdaleA church bell is being rung in the heart of Nidderdale each evening throughout November, as the power of prayer is harnessed during the pandemic.
With communal worship banned during lockdown, Christians are being encouraged to participate in a month of reflection in their homes, focusing on issues of national concern arising from the coronavirus crisis.
The Rev. Alastair Ferneley, Vicar of Dacre with Hartwith and Darley with Thornthwaite, is ensuring that Nidderdale’s daily tea-time chime joins those ringing out at cathedrals and churches across England.
He told the Stray Ferret:
“I’m ringing our single bell at Holy Trinity, Dacre Banks at 6pm each evening – so far successfully on time, though it’s possible the time will vary a little.”
Read more:
- Nidderdale’s first steps towards welcoming a refugee family
- Hamper competition helps mayor’s appeal in Pateley Bridge
The call for a daily collective moment of national prayer signalled by the sound of bells, has the support of senior religious leaders from many different denominations.
Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, said:
“We might understandably feel helpless, anxious and vulnerable. And we do what we can to halt the spread of this virus – but we can still feel powerless.
“Is there anything else we can do? Really do?
“Yes. Yes there is. We can pray. Prayer is my first response when I feel out of my depth, when I need help, when I am worried, when I am concerned for those I love.
“It is a gift that God gives to all.”
The Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell, added:
“At this challenging time when all of us are fearful and anxious, and when so many are suffering, it is the one thing we can all do.”

Nidderdale – taking part in the national call to prayer
Christians are being encouraged to follow a seven-day prayer cycle, praying for a specific area each day, including the NHS and frontline workers, the bereaved, and those struggling with physical and mental ill-health, and for children and young people.
Prayers and other resources are being shared on social media with the hashtag #PrayerForTheNation
Rev Alastair is keeping his parishioners updated. He said:
“I’ve been sending out the information about the month of prayer so that people can take part in their own homes, if they wish.”
New bid to get rough sleepers off Harrogate district’s streets
Harrogate Borough Council plans to buy three houses in town to reduce the number of rough sleepers.
The government’s £105 million Everyone In scheme funded organisations that help rough sleepers during the first lockdown.
Now ministers have set up a new programme called Next Steps, which provides further funding.
Read more:
- Call to create Harrogate Town Council
- Visible return of rough sleeping in Harrogate as lockdown eases
Harrogate Borough Council bid for £1,084,570 from the programme to help with short and long term interventions on rough sleeping in the district.
However, the government looks set to offer the authority £449,326 – nearly half the amount requested.
Once finalised, the council intends to use the funding to buy three former council dwellings to house those people at risk.
The authority has estimated the cost of purchasing the three homes will be £696,000, which officials say would be funded from both the grant and the authority’s housing revenue account.
Town centre locations
A report due before senior councillors on the the council’s cabinet today said the homes would be prioritised within the town area.
It says:
“The property purchases will be prioritised within the Harrogate town area In order to provide proximity to services for rough sleepers and that each potential purchase will be approved by the head of housing and property before an offer on each of the properties is made.”
Senior councillors have been recommended to delegate power to the head of housing to accept the the grants from government, subject to confirmation.
Local authorities were encouraged to house rough sleepers temporarily under the Everyone In initiative during the first lockdown.
The borough council housed people in hostels in the town, as well as in Leeds.
According to council figures, 29 rough sleepers in the district were taken off the streets, of which 10 are still being supported by the authority.
The Stray Ferret asked the council what has happened to the remaining 19 which were housed, but has yet to receive a response.
Campaign launched to support Harrogate shops onlineHarrogate BID has launched a campaign to support local shops as they move online in the run-up to Christmas.
The BID will ask shoppers and business owners to use #ShopHarrogateOnline to spread the word on social media.
It will encourage shoppers to avoid the likes of Amazon, which saw a big increase in sales during the first lockdown.
Read more:
- Horticap students ‘absolutely gutted’ at new lockdown
- Harrogate pub wins CAMRA award after one year of opening
The BID also has coronavirus reopening grants, which are match-funded up to £750, to support its levy payers.
Levy payers can use the money to either shift their business online or improve their existing online space.
Sara Ferguson, acting chair for Harrogate BID, said:
“Now is the time to support our home-grown businesses more than ever before. If we don’t, I fear many will never re-open their premises when eventually able to do so. Whilst many businesses have had to physically close to the public, they are still trading their goods and services online.”
She added that local accountants, lawyers, estate agents and other professionals also need support.