Officer who downloaded indecent images ‘betrayed the trust of North Yorkshire Police’

A senior North Yorkshire Police officer has said former officer Christopher Groom ‘betrayed public trust and betrayed North Yorkshire Police’ after he was given a community order for downloading indecent images of children.

Leeds Magistrates Court heard yesterday how Groom, 41, searched the internet for images of youngsters using search terms such as ‘naked young teens’ and ‘youngest naked models’.

Analysis of Groom’s computer tower revealed that he had downloaded 8,707 Category C images of children over what is thought to be a seven-year period.

District Judge Richard Kitson told Groom, of Main Street, Claxton, he would not be sending him to jail because the probation service said he was at low risk of reoffending and could be rehabilitated in the community.

Mabs Hussain

Mabs Hussain

Following the end of the court case, North Yorkshire Police deputy chief constable Mabs Hussain said the force “demands the highest level of integrity from our officers and staff.”

He added:

“This is essential to ensure the communities we are proud to serve have complete trust in their police service.

“The abhorrent and criminal actions of Groom have betrayed that public trust and he has betrayed North Yorkshire Police.”


Read more:


Groom resigned from North Yorkshire Police ahead of his first court appearance on May 18.

An accelerated misconduct hearing will now be considered by the Chief Constable and the professional standards department.

Groom was investigated by NYP’s online abuse and exploitation team.

Detective Sergeant Steve Alderson said:

“The fact that Groom was a serving North Yorkshire Police officer made no difference to how we conducted the investigation.

“He was treated the same as any other member of the public who become subject to a criminal inquiry and court proceedings.

“This case shows the determination of North Yorkshire Police to secure justice against those involved in indecent images of children offences, no matter who they are.”

North Yorkshire Police appoints new deputy chief constable

North Yorkshire Police has appointed a new deputy chief constable following the retirement of Phil Cain, who had been with the force for more than 20 years.

Mabs Hussain, who is currently with Greater Manchester Police as assistant chief constable, will take up the role on January 3.

Prior to his time in Manchester, Mr Hussain spent 22 years at West Yorkshire Police where he served at every rank as a detective.

As chief superintendent, he was the commander for Wakefield and also spent time as commander for the Leeds district. He was awarded an MBE in 2018 for his services to charity and policing.

Mabs Hussain

Mr Hussain said:

“Yorkshire is very close to my heart, as I was born here and I also live here. I will be working hard to ensure that North Yorkshire remains one of the safest places to live and visit in the UK.”


Read more:


Chief constable Lisa Winward added:

“His extensive policing background and experience will be a credit to the force and I am very much looking forward to working with him as part of our chief officer team.”

Jenni Newberry, acting North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, said:

“Our executive management team has been involved in this selection process which was made difficult in the best of ways by the quality of the candidates being considered.”

Mr Cain is paid £123,648. A North Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said it didn’t have the information yet on Mr Hussain’s salary.

Pictured: (left to right): New North Yorkshire Police deputy chief constable Mabs Hussain, acting police, fire and crime commissioner Jenni Newberry and chief constable Lisa Winward.