Plans to increase outdoor dining space at West Park Hotel in Harrogate

Plans to increase outdoor dining space at West Park Hotel

Outdoor dining areas could be created in front of shops along West Park if plans by West Park Hotel are approved.

The owners of the hotel and restaurant have applied to place six tables and 19 chairs in front of 17a and 18 West Park, where Moda in Pelle and Georgie’s trade.

The furniture would only be used outside the shops’ opening hours, no later than 10pm, and would be in addition to the furniture already outside West Park Hotel itself.

As part of the application, the owners said:

“The outside dining does create a pleasant ambience and enhance the attractiveness of the street, thereby making a positive contribution to the vitality and vibrancy of the area…

“The portable barriers will prevent encroachment into this pedestrian space.

“The facilities for pedestrians are maintained. Additional outside dining serviced by the West Park Hotel will help meet the increased demand from customers concerned about, or with vulnerability to, Covid 19. Allowing access for all to outside dining in an attractive and serviced location.”

Full details of the proposal can be found via Harrogate Borough Council’s planning website, using reference 22/01593/FUL.

Director leaves accountancy firm to pursue financial coaching role

Teresa Hitchens, left, and Kelly Chadwick of CCF Accountancy

The founder of a Harrogate accountancy firm is stepping down in order to take on a new challenge.

Teresa Hitchens, pictured left, who founded CCF Accountancy in 2010, will be turning her hand to financial coaching, after building up her own company for more than a decade.

She said:

“This is all about helping people get their business and personal finances in order and using this as the base to help them get to the position they want to be in their business, either working smarter, working less, or exiting and doing something completely different.”

CCF Accountancy will continue trading under the direction of co-owner and operations director Kelly Chadwick, pictured right, and Andy Lock.


Read more:


 

Time running out for Stray dining as debate rumbles on

Time is running out for Harrogate bars hoping to use the Stray for outdoor dining as the debate rumbles for another week.

Andrew Jones MP reignited hopes two weeks ago by sending a letter to the Duchy of Lancaster, the land owners, but the outcome has left the bar owners disappointed.

The Blues Bar, The Empress and Fashion House Bistro were all hoping to capitalise on the Stray space outside their businesses from April 12.

However, indoor dining is returning on May 17 so Trish Campbell, manager at the Empress, feels that they will likely miss out on the outdoor dining window.

She told the Stray Ferret today:

“This has completely missed the point. We have still got another three weeks but we are really missing out on a good opportunity.

“For some reason we have not had any help. So we are extremely disappointed and upset.”


Read more:


In a letter to Andrew Jones MP, the chief executive at the Duchy of Lancaster Nathan Thompson said:

“If the proposals are not permitted by the Stray Act, Harrogate Borough Council would be in breach of its management obligations in implementing them.

“We therefore suggested to the council that they might seek advice regarding compliance before finalising its proposals.

“Given the aftermath of the UCI World Cycling Championships in 2019, the Duchy also requested further clarification of the proposed scale and duration of the proposed temporary licences.”

Andrew Jones MP forwarded the response to the owners of The Empress and Blues Bar and told them:

“The council rejected taking legal advice and doing the required engagement because by the time this costly work had been undertaken it would be well past the return of indoor hospitality.

“The council have assured me that they were ready to licence limited use of the Stray. I wanted to see an equally flexible response from the Duchy of Lancaster.

“Instead they have quoted the Stray Act and declined to give a view on whether they support use of the Stray in this manner.”

Harrogate MP backs outdoor dining on the Stray campaign

Harrogate and Knaresborough’s MP has thrown his weight behind a campaign for outdoor dining to return to the Stray.

Andrew Jones MP met Sharon and Simon Colgan, owners of the Blues Bar and The Empress, as well Trish Campbell, bar manager at The Empress, today.

While Mr Jones refused to speak to the Stray Ferret during or after the meeting, the bar owners said that he supported their campaign.

Harrogate Borough Council recently told the Blues Bar, The Empress and Fashion House Bistro that they cannot use tables and chairs on the Stray this year.


Read more:


The council did approve the measure last year but said after consulting with land owners the Duchy of Lancaster that it “would not be appropriate at this stage.”

Part of the reason the council gave was that it could “potentially inhibit the open access and enjoyment for all.”

Simon Colgan, co owner of The Empress and Blues Bar, told the Stray Ferret after his meeting with Mr Jones:

“Mr Jones seemed dumbfounded that it wasn’t rolling out again.

“He told us he would look into the council’s response, consult the Duchy of Lancaster and its chancellor Michael Gove.

“That is very positive isn’t it? It is great he did not dismiss us. We just want exactly the same as we had last year, there’s no reason not to do it again.

“We did press him and said time was of the essence, we do not want to miss out on this sun. When you go into town you can see there’s an appetite for it.”

WATCH: Harrogate basks in the sun as shopping and dining returns

Harrogate basked in the sun today as outdoor dining and shopping returned.

From today non-essential shops, hair and beauty salons, gyms and spas have been allowed to open.

It was a day many people had long looked forward to and it did not disappoint, with lots of people flocking to the town centre and some describing it as “absolutely glorious”.

The Stray Ferret went to North Bar, West Park Hotel and the high street to see how people were feeling about the big day.


Read more:


Bars not allowed to use Stray land for outdoor dining

Harrogate Borough Council has told three bars that they cannot use Stray land for outdoor dining when they reopen next week.

The Blues Bar, The Empress and Fashion House Bistro were all hoping to capitalise on the space outside their businesses from April 12.

All had approached the council when the Government released its roadmap out of lockdown. But the council has told them that it will not be possible.


Read more:


David Dresser, who owns Fashion House Bistro, told the Stray Ferret:

“For us it was about making the most of the good weather so we do not take as much of a hit when we get some bad weather.

“We will still be able to reopen with room for around 40 to 50 people outside, but it is just a bonkers decision.

“The reason the council gave was that the Stray should be open for everyone to enjoy it.

“But I have never seen anyone use the space outside, people would enjoy it if they could and eat and drink there.”

Harrogate Borough Council (HBC) approved the use of tables and chairs on Stray land last summer.

Kirsty Stewart, business development manager at HBC, sent the following in reply to Mr Dresser’s request:

“Thank you for your email below requesting to use the public grass area at Promenade Square for your business from 12 April until 17 May.

“This is something the council is not licensing this year, which means that all the available space is accessible for all members of the public to enjoy.”

A council spokesman added:

“As custodians of the Stray, we encourage all visitors to use it responsibly and enjoy the wonderful public space it provides.

“However, after feedback from land owners – the Duchy of Lancaster – it has been decided that it wouldn’t be appropriate at this stage to grant licences to select number of individual businesses that could potentially inhibit the open access and enjoyment for all.”

Harrogate bars call on council to allow tables on Stray land

The owners of three Harrogate bars have teamed up to call on Harrogate Borough Council to approve their request to put tables and chairs on the Stray.

Outdoor dining will restart under the government’s roadmap on April 12 but three Harrogate bars are still unsure if they can use much of their space outside.

Harrogate Borough Council approved the use of tables and chairs on Stray land last summer but is yet to decide whether to give the bars the green light this time around.

Simon Colgan, who runs the Blues Bar and The Empress with his wife Sharon Colgan, told the Stray Ferret:

“It makes a massive difference for our capacity, when we have the tables on the Stray it more than doubles for both of our bars

“We will still open if we can just have the six tables on the pavement. We will fight it because we have got customers who are desperate to come back.

“Without a doubt I would say this is critical for our business. It really is important, especially after another of three months of lockdown.”

David Dresser, who owns Fashion House Bistro, also told the Stray Ferret:

“It would be disappointing for us if we were not able to have outdoor dining back on the Stray land.

“That is on the basis that if we have some bad weather days then those days are right offs. This would help us on good days to make sure that business is stable.

“So it would affect our turnover but if we got those tables and chairs on the grass it would give us a boost.”


Read more:


Both Simon Colgan and David Dresser approached Harrogate Borough Council with their request when Boris Johnson set out his roadmap last month.

However, a spokesman for Harrogate Borough Council told the Stray Ferret:

“We are currently awaiting feedback from the Duchy on the proposed approach, prior to a consultation starting.”

The Duchy of Lancaster owns the Stray and Harrogate Borough Council are its custodians.

We asked the council about its timeline for a consultation but did not receive a reply by the time of publication.

Council rejects Harrogate Blues Bar’s road closure bid

North Yorkshire County Council has rejected a Harrogate bar’s bid to close the road outside for outdoor tables and chairs.

The Blues Bar, on Montpellier Parade, was forced to remove the tables and chairs from the Stray earlier this year and thought this could be the solution.

However, the county council said the closure of Montpellier Parade would cause issues for emergency vehicles, Montpellier Square car park and deliveries.


Read more:


Although Montpellier Parade is a highway it still forms part of the Stray, which is covered by a 1985 Act of Parliament.  In September when the issue of closing the road was raised the Stray Defence Association reminded those involved that using any part of the Stray for commercial gain may contravene the act.

However Melisa Burnham, the highways area manager at the county council, said it had been rejected because of access:

“Following site visits and consultation with the emergency services and adjoining businesses we could not recommend the closure of Montpellier Parade.

“However, the Blues Bar does have additional space on the pavement outside for tables and chairs. We have provided support by suspending parking bays so they can be used by pedestrians.

“We are doing all we can to support hospitality and retail businesses in these difficult times, and all measures are under constant review.

“The site visits confirmed that there would not be enough space to accommodate additional tables and chairs whilst allowing space for emergency vehicles to pass.

“The road is one-way from Parliament Street to Montpellier Hill. A closure would prevent access to Montpellier Square car park, delivery areas and the well-used loading bays.”

The Blues Bar is still able to use the parking bays immediately outside and hopes to be able to use the Stray again when the weather improves next year.

Harrogate survey: Nearly 80% want to keep alfresco dining

Nearly 80% of Harrogate residents want the town centre to keep alfresco dining on a permanent basis.

The Stray Ferret worked with Your Poll by Judge Service to survey nearly 1,500 people in Harrogate.

All surveys with more than 1,000 respondents are statistically valid. Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill it out.

Should alfresco dining become permanent in Harrogate?

More than 1,100 of respondents (77%) said they want the relaxed rules around alfresco dining to be made permanent.

The other 300 votes were split between “not sure” at 13% and “no” at 9% – giving “yes” the clear majority.

“The pleasure of visiting the town comes from its small size, ease of access and facility for short trips. More alfresco dining gives the town a good atmosphere.” – anon.

“Alfresco dining is the way forward more outdoor spaces should be used. Take a look at the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells a great example.” – anon.

North Yorkshire County Council has already said it would be “happy to review any requests for longer term use of the public highway” for alfresco dining.


Read more:


David Bowe, the corporate director for business and environmental services at the county council, previously said the authority has received “really positive feedback”.

Should alfresco dining become permanent?

“Create a park & ride facility to allow residents to park outside homes and encourage visitors to use buses into town and encourage alfresco dining and drinking.” – anon.

“I believe Harrogate should embrace the alfresco cafes and bars, also thinking about disabled access and access for people with prams.” – anon.

There seems to be a real strength of feeling from Harrogate residents about alfresco dining. That was clearly reflected when the Blues Bar and The Empress faced the threat of losing all their tables and chairs.

The Blues Bar eventually needed to remove their tables and chairs but not before it got 3000 people to back their fight in an online petition.

We will publish the full results of our survey on Wednesday. 

Harrogate bars want alfresco drinking and dining to be permanent

Two Harrogate bars and restaurants have seen a boost as a result of temporary alfresco drinking and dining and want it to become the new normal.

Both the Blues Bar and the Yorkshire Hotel have taken full advantage of the temporary relaxing of rules around alfresco dining.

They do not know when the scheme will end but suspect that it might come to a close as social distancing rules relax further.

Sharon Colgan said that the Blues Bar has seen its overall sales double compared to the same period last year. Simon Cotton also said that the bar sales at Yorkshire Hotel has doubled.

Mr Cotton told the Stray Ferret:

“We have been very fortunate with the weather. We might not be as busy without the sun but when it shines we have a good continental vibe that lots of people enjoy. Even when weather isn’t great we could put out some blankets and heaters.”

The Blues Bars has also enjoyed a boost.

Mrs Colgan also told the Stray Ferret:

“It might have taken the pandemic for the council to soften up a bit on this but we have welcomed it. I would love it if we could continue to use the grass just outside and I think there is a real appetite for it in Harrogate. The town would really stand out.”

North Yorkshire County Council relaxed the rules on outdoor dining to help businesses without dedicated outdoor spaces to welcome customers back with social distancing in mind.


Read more:


It has always been a temporary measure but the local authority has now said it is “happy to review any requests for longer term use of the public highway” for alfresco dining.

David Bowe, the corporate director for business and environmental services at the county council, added:

“We have had some really positive feedback from businesses about the measures already in place. However, it is important to understand that there are inevitably differing demands for all road users and these have to be safely balanced.”