Last Harrogate street to be pedestrianised to help bars

The last street in Harrogate will be partly pedestrianised this week. North Yorkshire County Council has said no further road closures are planned beyond that.

The authority has so far helped 11 businesses in the town to provide extra seating space outside premises and had said it would only close roads “if there is a clear demand”.

It comes as both the county council and Harrogate Borough Council promised to work with bars, restaurants and cafes to open up space in an effort to increase capacity.

From tonight, The Ginnel, which hosts Monty’s Rock Bar and Manahatta, will become the latest street to be closed to provide extra space.


Read more:


The road will be closed between 5pm until 11pm Wednesday to Saturday and 1pm until 11pm on Sundays.

https://www.facebook.com/134929643221066/posts/3127553957291938/?d=n

Gareth Bentley, food, licensing and occupational safety manager at the borough council, confirmed the pedestrianisation of The Ginnel area to the authority’s scrutiny committee.

Mr Bentley said the move was needed to help with more capacity.

He said:

“It’s not something that comes naturally to allow people to drink on the street, but the reality is that when licensed premises implement the covid-19 control guidance well their occupancy is 30% or 40% of what it used to be.

“We are working really hard to promote relaxations to allow them to use the outdoors more and more with an eye on making sure that it is done respectfully.”

Meanwhile, parking bays have already been suspended on Montpellier Hill and Royal Parade as part of the measures to create space.

But cones placed on West Park proved to be controversial with business owners and county council officials took them down.

The pedestrianisation of streets come as the hospitality sector looks to take full advantage of what remains of the summer months to increase capacity and raise income.

However owners in the sector have raised fears that some businesses will fall victim to the three month battering of lockdown and the upcoming winter.

Peter Banks, managing director of Rudding Park Hotel and Spa, said that bars, restaurants and hotels should expect a tough winter.

Meanwhile, last night, borough council leader, Richard Cooper, warned that some businesses will not survive the impending economic downturn.

Parliament Street and Kings Road could be partly pedestrianised

Parliament Street and Kings Road in Harrogate could be partly pedestrianised to encourage social distancing when bars and restaurants reopen.

However, The Stray Ferret understands this is unlikely to be put in place this weekend.

North Yorkshire County Council said it is working with Harrogate BID, Harrogate Borough Council and local businesses to allocate pavement space to bars and restaurants, which would make part of the roads off-limits to cars.

David Bowe, corporate director for business and environmental services at NYCC, said they will only close roads “if there is a clear demand”.

He said:

“We are prepared to close roads in order to support economic recovery but it has to be on the basis of demand and need. If there is a road that we can practically close, even for part of a day, without adversely affecting access, we will be happy to work to achieve that, provided a business definitely wants to use the space.

James Street, Albert Street and parts of Royal Parade currently have cones placed in the road to widen pavements. However, they have been controversial and North Yorkshire County Council has taken them down on West Park after pressure from businesses.

Two streets that could be partly pedestrianised are Parliament Street and Kings Road.


Read more:


Jim Mossman, co-founder of the Cold Bath Brewing Co on Kings Road, told The Stray Ferret he had been in discussions with North Yorkshire County Council about road space being re-allocated.

He said:

“If we can create an al fresco type experience in Harrogate then it will help save jobs and businesses in the town.”

Michael Baravelli, general manager at Gino D’Acampo on Parliament Street also said pedestrianisation would help trade at the restaurant.

He said:

“We are working alongside North Yorkshire County Council with the idea and suggestion of putting extra seating outside to give us more street presence. In these summer days, it will help us immensely.”

Campaign for streets in Knaresborough to be pedestrianised

Knaresborough Civic Society has launched a campaign to pedestrianise Castlegate and the Market Square.

The society feels that both areas are always busy with both cars and people and there isn’t enough space for adequate social distancing.

The Civic Society said its aim is to enhance the public space available and protect the town’s heritage. It also included plans to convert the area currently used by cars on Market Square into extra space for businesses or town events.

The Civic Society chairman James Monaghan said:

“Now is the ideal time to take bold steps to enhance Knaresborough’s public space, improve the pedestrian experience and make our streets safer.

“Castlegate is a popular shopping destination with narrow pavements. On busy days you already find shoppers walking down the middle of the street and maintaining social distancing on the pavements is impossible”.

Scenes such as these have encouraged the Civic Society launch their campaign for pedestrianisation.


Read more: 


Castlegate business owner Andy Grinter supports the plans, he said:

“Its obvious that without action, we don’t stand a chance of social distancing. Without taking urgent, innovative measures we’re putting lives and livelihoods at risk. It’s clear that pedestrians need more space to walk and queue safely whilst maintaining social distancing.

“Giving customers room between premises and in public spaces will enable shops and businesses to bounce back and recover trade.”

The Society has written to North Yorkshire County Council and is now calling for other local groups to come forward and back their campaign.

County council reveals £1.3m plans to encourage walking and cycling

North Yorkshire County Council has revealed some of the plans it is considering to encourage more cycling and walking.

The government has allocated the council £1.3 million from its £225 million emergency active travel fund. The council can then bid for the full amount in two stages.

Initially, the council is bidding for £266,000 to spend on temporary measures such as coning off some on-street parking bays to widen footpaths.

Any projects funded in the first stage must be started within four weeks of the money being made available and completed within eight. It means that the council cannot tackle any major projects with that first pot of money.


Read more on this story:


The authority will learn shortly how it will be able to bid for the remaining £1.1 million, but it is already drawing up plans of what to do with the rest of the money.

The council is considering:

The Department for Transport is keen for local authorities to bring forward schemes that are already planned and that can be constructed relatively quickly. Cllr Don Mackenzie, NYCC’s executive member for access, said:

“We intend to take full advantage of this funding. The amount on offer and the requirement to spend it quickly mean that we will be looking to make small but effective improvements that offer the maximum benefit.

“It will not be practical to fund major projects. To give some context, if the £1.3m were to be spent solely on new permanent segregated cycle routes it would be sufficient to pay for about three kilometres, less than two miles, of cycle path.”

The county council is keen to hear suggestions for how it can spend the money. Click or tap here for more details.

Battle lines drawn over Harrogate town centre plan

The temporary bollards put up to widen James Street in Harrogate to help give space for social distancing have served to reignite fierce opposition to a plan to permanently widen the pavements by losing the on street car parking.

A £7.8m pot from the Transforming Cities Fund was secured in March to create a “gateway”  to connect the bus and railway stations with the town centre making it easier for walkers and cyclists.

The plan fits into a wider strategy for Harrogate drawn up by the borough council in its 2016 Town Centre Strategy and Masterplan. It states:

The council’s preferred option is for the full pedestrianisation of James Street. This option will serve to link the public realm schemes at Prospect Square and Station Square.

The gateway scheme though is still subject to extra funding by the county and district councils and further consultation.

Artists impression of the station square and the top of James St from the town centre masterplan 2016

The loss of on street parking or any pedestrianisation of James St is fiercely opposed by retail group, Independent Harrogate. Yesterday in its mission statement, it argued the plan is out of date and that, post coronavirus lockdown, the town is facing such a serious economic crisis, reducing any on-street parking would be a disaster. It urged the councils to:

listen to their business rate payers and to address the damaged fundamentals of Harrogate before proceeding with their long-term vision; and then do so in consultation with Independent Harrogate’s members and all businesses who trade there.

Cllr Don Mackenzie, the county council’s Executive Member for Access told The Stray Ferret that their aim was to keep everyone onboard and to make it easier for shoppers:

“North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council both know that when you talk about pedestrianisation some people get anxious. Some are in favour, others see it as terrible. At this stage re-allocation of the road means taking away car parking spaces and widening the pavements.”

When the consultation starts it’s hard to see how either council will be able to win Independent Harrogate over without significant changes to the proposals.

The money awarded to the project in March has to be spent within 3 years.