North Yorkshire Police’s planned move into Ripon Town Hall has been delayed with no date in place for when it might happen.
In February, the office for Zoe Metcalfe, North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC), said refurbishment of space in the town hall was already under way to give officers more of a presence in the city centre.
However, this was questioned by Ripon City Council leader Andrew Williams who told the Local Democracy Reporting Service in April that work was yet to begin.
The works will cost North Yorkshire Police £91,000 and will see a public consultation room, an office and a break out room added for officers to use.
A spokesman for the PFCC confirmed that work at the town hall had not started and blamed the changes in local government for the delay.
Harrogate Borough Council owned the building until April 1 when it was handed to the new unitary authority North Yorkshire Council. The spokesman said:
“I can confirm that there has been a slight delay in the schedule for the local policing team moving into Ripon Town Hall.
“This has been due to the change in local government structure where the local agreement to occupy space in Ripon Town Hall made with Harrogate Borough Council, now needs to be signed off by the new North Yorkshire Council.”
North Yorkshire Council was also unable to say when works will begin. The council’s corporate director of resources, Gary Fielding, said:
“We are continuing to work with North Yorkshire Police and Ripon City Council regarding the future of Ripon Town Hall over how to best serve the needs of local residents.”
Read more:
Harrogate man jailed for assaulting three police officers in Ripon
A man from a village near Harrogate has been jailed for six months for assaulting police officers.
James Ashley Gibb, 34, initially denied attacking three police officers in Ripon Market Place on October 28 last year.
But Gibb, of Ripon Road, Killinghall, changed his plea and was sentenced at Harrogate Magistrates Court last week.
Court documents say he was jailed due to the seriousness of the offence and also “because of different kinds of assaults including biting, kicking and threat of spitting and committed whilst on post-sentence supervision”.
The offence was aggravated by the defendant’s record of previous offending, the documents added.

The incident in Ripon Market Place last year
Gibb also pleaded guilty to using racially aggravated threatening or abusive words.
He was also given a concurrent four-month prison sentence for threatening a person on Station Parade in Harrogate on January 14 this year.
Besides being jailed, he was fined £275.
North Yorkshire Police officers sacked after racist WhatsApp messages
Two North Yorkshire Police officers have been dismissed after sending racist text messages between each other.
Detective constable Danielle Kirby and police constable James Mills were alleged to have breached the force’s standards of professional behaviour.
Both were dismissed following a gross misconduct hearing at the force’s headquarters in Northallerton.
The pair exchanged WhatsApp messages which were found to be racist between December 2018 and March 2019.
Mabs Hussain, deputy chief constable of North Yorkshire Police, said:
“The racist language and sentiments contained in the series of WhatsApp messages are repulsive.
“It has no place in society, let alone from people who have sworn an oath to uphold the highest standards of fairness, integrity and respect to all people.
“The evidence in this case was damning, and it is only right that the panel upheld the gross misconduct and the officers have been dismissed from North Yorkshire Police.”
Gerry Sydenham, who chaired the panel, said:
“The messages exchanged by former PC Mills and former DC Kirby contained appalling racist comments which were egregious in nature and content.
“The corrosive effect of such racist gross misconduct upon public confidence in policing cannot be understated.
“It is intolerable and devastating to the good work of other police officers who try daily to build the public’s trust and confidence in policing.
“Both officers undermined the public’s trust and the trust of their police force in themselves in a grave and shocking manner, causing very significant and potentially lasting damage to public confidence in policing.”
Read more
- North Yorkshire Police urged to start recording ‘high priority’ wildlife crime
- North Yorkshire Police to balance books by leaving 120 posts vacant
Police recruitment won’t be felt ‘for years to come’, says chief constable
North Yorkshire’s chief constable has warned that the recruitment of new police officers won’t be felt in communities for years to come.
Lisa Winward told a Harrogate Borough Council meeting last night that she wanted to “manage expectations” about the recruitment drive.
She also described figures which suggest an additional 30,000 new officers will be needed in England and Wales on top of the government’s target of 20,000 as “frightening”.
In North Yorkshire, 113 officers have been recruited since 2020 and government funding has been allocated for a further 74.
But because each officer is trained to a degree-level of qualification, Ms Winward said the benefits of the bolstered workforce won’t be felt for “potentially another four years.”
She said:
“When these officers join us it takes three years for them to become fully qualified. They’re out on the streets for part of that time, but they spend a predominant amount of time in training.
“In reality, we won’t see the benefits of these individuals coming into the organisation – certainly the final 74 – potentially for another four years.
“We are very much looking forward to and grateful for these officers joining us, but it will take time.”
Read more:
Reversing cuts to police officer numbers was one of Boris Johnson’s first policy pledges when he became prime minister in 2019.
But those in charge of recruitment have warned that the total number of new recruits needed is much bigger because of existing officers who will be resigning or retiring from the service.
Current police levels
North Yorkshire Police currently has around 1,560 officers and 3,380 total staff.
And Ms Winward said it is expected that around 25% of the workforce will have less than three years of service as outgoing officers are replaced with new recruits over the next few years.
She said this will be “very demanding” on the new officers in terms of them having the “skills, experience and ability to deliver the service to the community”.
Ms Winward explained 55 officers were recruited for training in 2020, followed by 58 in 2021.
She added a further 78 will be recruited this year, with all officers gaining experience in areas including roads and neighbourhood policing, and crime investigation.
Four of the 78 officers joining this year will work in an organised crime unit covering the Yorkshire and Humber region.
Where the rest will be deployed will depend on the outcome of a force management statement which is due to be published by North Yorkshire Police in May.
This document will look at current and predicted levels of crime in different areas across the county, as well as the current capacity of the force.
Ms Winward added:
“This gap analysis will determine where those officers will need to be placed in order to ensure people are safe.
“But that is reliant upon a prevention and early intervention direction of travel.
“We cannot continuously service increasing demand so it’s really important that we prevent harm from happening in the first place.”