A Ukrainian couple have spoken about their fears for close family members who are encircled by Russian forces in Ukraine and unable to flee.
Taras and Viktoriia Jakubiak live in Harrogate with their two children Isabella, 6, and Eve, 12, who goes to St Robert’s Catholic Primary School and St John Fisher Catholic High School.
Viktoriia’s mum and sister are currently in Chernhiv, a city less than 100 miles north of Kyiv. It has faced heavy shelling and airstrikes from Russian forces since the invasion began.
The couple last spoke to them this morning.
Taras said:
“We’re really worried, the Russians are shelling indiscriminately”.
Acute danger each day
Their family members in Chernhiv face acute danger each day. Russian tanks shot at a church when Viktoriia’s mum was inside and they are spending nights in a pitch black basement to not draw attention.
Taras added:
“The Russians are trying to submit the local population. They want to subjugate the nation and eliminate democracy”.
Viktoriia’s mum works in the local city hospital. However she is continuing to go to work, despite the threat from Russian forces who have bombed hospitals in Mariupol and Zhytomyr.
Taras said:
“Even the hospitals aren’t aren’t safe these days.
“It is indiscriminate and very dangerous.”
Below is a video that was recently taken in Chernihiv where Viktoriia and Taras’ family live.
Chernihiv. https://t.co/zoLaujZolr pic.twitter.com/W4hoaSrefd
— Rob Lee (@RALee85) March 6, 2022
Read more:
- Ukraine crisis: Guide to how you can help locally
- Former Ripon student fleeing Ukraine today to set up refugee shelter
- Ripon man with family in Ukraine speaks of ‘deeply troubling’ times
The family moved to Harrogate two years ago from West Yorkshire. Taras said he was touched to see the Ukrainian flag flying at the war memorial in Harrogate.
He was born in the UK and also has cousins in Kyiv. Taras said the response in Harrogate, which has involved fundraisers and donations, has made him proud to be both British and Ukrainian.
“Family members in Ukraine are aware of the support and encouragement. They don’t feel alone”.
Things will get better
Heartbreakingly, the family got Viktoriia’s mum and sister UK visas to escape the war zone and join them in Harrogate. However, they did not have enough time to leave Chernhiv before the Russian advance and were trapped.
“There was no way out. They were encircled”.
Taras said it has been difficult to explain the situation to his children, who ask how their relatives are doing in Ukraine.
Ex-soldier from Harrogate flying out today to help Ukrainian refugees“It’s difficult to reassure them.”
“We tell them they are going through a dark time but things will get better.”
A former soldier from Harrogate will fly to Slovakia today to help Ukrainian refugees
Mike Heelan, who served for 24 years in the British Army whilst based in Harrogate, will be supporting Ripon man Lewis Edwards and his team to run a shelter for people fleeing the war-torn country.
Mr Heelan was moved after reading the Stray Ferret’s stories about Mr Edwards, 33, and his 30-year-old Ukrainian partner Tanya Bogdanovska. They were both teachers at a school in Kyiv but fled the Ukraine capital on February 25 to set up a shelter in Slovakia.
Since then, the couple have helped refugees with housing, transport, food, medical supplies and other essentials. They have even sourced 10 armoured ambulances to protect health workers from gunfire.
Mr Heelan and Mr Edwards, who did not previously know each other, managed to connect via WhatsApp and then hastily arrange the trip at short notice.
Mr Heelan said he will go there for two weeks but may stay longer.
“I really felt I should be doing something. I’ll do whatever is needed.
“I want to help people who are suffering because of the war.”

Lewis Edwards and his partner Tanya fled Ukraine. Picture: Tanya Bogdanovoska
Read more:
- Ripon man helping Ukraine says ambulances are being shot by Russians
- Ripon family’s plea: ‘Please help the people of Ukraine’
-
Former Ripon student fleeing Ukraine today to set up refugee shelter
Being human
Up to 180,000 refugees have crossed the border into Slovakia since Russia began its invasion two weeks ago.
The UN Refugee Agency has warned the total number of refugees from Ukraine may reach four million in the coming days.
Wives have been separated from husbands who are staying in the country to fight. Children have left everything they have ever known behind.
Mr Heelan said:
“They are scared and confused.
“I have got the time. It’s about being human.”

Mike Heelan
Mr Heelan said he’s grown frustrated with the UK government’s attempts to send aid to Ukraine, which he said has been stymied by red tape and bureaucracy.
But he pointed to Lewis Edwards as an inspirational example to follow.
“At a time when we need a robust, go-getting government we have a bunch of feeble-heads.
“Lewis is a young lad, a teacher, who’s managed to get armoured ambulances. He’s done it out of nothing. It’s quite amazing.”
Eyes open
At the moment, the border with Slovakia is not a part of Ukraine targeted by the Russian army.
Mr Heelan, 64, said he is not interested in fighting but is not afraid to face danger.
The stoic family man said his wife and two children support his journey.
He said he’ll be feeling some trepidation during the flight to Slovakia tomorrow, but added:
“That’s good for you. I’ll keep my eyes open.”
To donate to the Lewis Edwards Ukrainian shelter fundraiser, visit this gofundme page.
What role is the US spy base at Menwith Hill playing in the war in Ukraine?RAF Menwith Hill on the outskirts of Harrogate is reportedly the United States’ largest overseas surveillance base.
It was built in the late 1950s during the height of the Cold War when America hoped espionage would give it the upper hand over the Soviet Union.
Over the last two decades, the base has been a key intelligence outpost for the War on Terror, with Edward Snowden’s leaks alleging it has provided intelligence that led to deadly drone strikes in the Middle East.
With Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, the base is expected to be playing a role in intelligence gathering that support military operations against Vladimir Putin’s army.
Richard Norton-Taylor is a veteran journalist who wrote for the Guardian about defence and security from 1975 to 2016. He reported on RAF Menwith Hill throughout that time and continues to do so.
The Stray Ferret spoke to Mr Norton-Taylor about what role Menwith Hill might be playing in the invasion.

Richard Norton-Taylor
The current role of Menwith Hill
Mr Norton-Taylor said he believes the satellites at the base will be trying to intercept intelligence from Moscow and find out the broader movements of Russian forces.
This might be ships in the Black Sea, or troops in the area around Russia.
He said:
“They will be picking up on how it all relates to Ukraine. It’s not about what the immediate impact in next hour or two, its lower grade in a sense.”
“[Menwith Hill] won’t be involved in the attack function. It will be general eavesdropping what the Kremlin is telling its forces.”
He added:
“It can coordinate acitivirs and targets, or relay info to GCHQ in Cheltenham or National Security Agency (NSA) headquarters in the US, its a kind of information exchange hub as well as receiving info from satellites.”
Could Menwith Hill be a target?
Last month Mr Norton-Taylor wrote an article for the defence journalism website Declassified UK about $2.8bn plans to expand the United States’ military bases in the UK.
Following a recent Parliamentary question from Leeds North West Labour MP Alex Sobel, it was revealed $40M of this will be spent at Menwith Hill.
Mr Norton-Taylor’s article included comments from Lee Baker, a former NSA satellite engineer. Mr Baker said in the event of a conflict, Menwith Hill would become a “significant military target” for an enemy.

It’s an argument been made by critics of the base for a long time, but with Vladimir Putin using the rhetoric of nuclear war, are Mr Baker’s words hyperbole or something now more realistic?
Mr Norton-Taylor said:
“Its either hyperbole or stating the bloody obvious. It’s not a secret the base is a big NSA station, so much has been written about it now.
“In a sense, in a pre-nuclear attack, it certainly would be a target. It’s also nearer Russia than NSA headquarters, it’s not hidden.
“Lee Baker made it quite clear what a priority target the base is, but it’s hypothetical.”
Read more:
- Menwith Hill upgrades part of £2.8bn programme
- Menwith Hill involved in ‘significant number’ of deadly US drone strikes
- Upset and anger at plans to remove MP’s memorial tree at Menwith Hill
Prod like mad
Throughout Mr Norton-Taylor’s career as a journalist, he said it has remained difficult to glean information about what really goes on at Menwith Hill.
However, he said asking questions and persistence is still worthwhile.
“It’s worth prodding like mad, even even it seems like bashing your head against brick wall.
“It should be in their interests to say this is a useful outfit. If it is doing such a good job, why don’t they say so? But they don’t give examples. It’s ridiculous.”
The Snowden leaks revealed the base collects vast streams of information that is sent back to NSA headquarters in Maryland, USA.
But how much of this information is actually useful is unknown.
Mr Norton-Taylor said:
“With the Russians, it’s good knowing what they are doing, of course it is. I’m not against intelligence gathering, but we want to know the operations, capacity and general nature of the intelligence gathering at Menwith Hill, who is controlling it? Do the British bother to question the Americans?
“If it’s there to know what the Russians are thinking, that’s good, but we don’t know whether it’s that or wasting time on other things.”
Unanswered questions
The secretive nature of intelligence gathering means to it is difficult to answer the question of whether Menwith Hill makes us safer in the event of war.
It’s possible we will never really know.
Mr Norton-Taylor said:
“It is good we have intelligence gathering with the Americans [at Menwith Hill], it’s a question of keeping an eye on it, and knowing in general terms what it is up to.
“It’s a powerful intelligence gathering outfit, but it’s there in who’s interest? Is it for the security of British and American people, or the elite? It’s a question that should be answered.”
A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said:
24-hour vigil in support of Ukraine to begin in Harrogate tomorrow“The MOD can confirm that RAF Menwith Hill is part of a worldwide US Defence communications network, with the base supporting a variety of communications activity.
“For operational security reasons and as a matter of policy, neither the MOD nor the DoD publicly discuss specifics concerning military operations or classified communications regardless of unit, platform or asset. US forces maintain robust civilian and military cooperation with the United Kingdom and manage all base activities in accordance with the agreements made between the United States and Her Majesty’s government.”
A 24-hour vigil will begin at the war memorial in Harrogate tomorrow to show support with Ukraine in its war with Russia.
The vigil, which has been organised by Christopher and Lindis Percy, will start at 10am and finish at 10am the following day.
Anyone is welcome to stay for as long as they want. Warm clothing is advised.
Ms Percy, who has been a well-known peace campaigner in the district for many years, said:
“The news is very dire and we thought we must do something. It is a very dangerous situation in Ukraine. We hope people will join us”.
Read more:
- LIVE: Harrogate Polish shop ‘overwhelmed’ by response to appeal for donations
- Former Ripon student fleeing Ukraine today to set up refugee shelter
- Ripon man with family in Ukraine speaks of ‘deeply troubling’ times
The Stray Ferret is running a live blog about people in the district who are helping people affected by the war in Ukraine.
If you know of an initiative to provide help or support run by a person, charity, church, community group or business, let us know by calling the newsroom on 01423276197 or by emailing us at contact@thestrayferret.co.uk.