A would-be “lone wolf terrorist” plotted to blow up part of a hospital and an RAF base near Harrogate, a court heard today.
Mohammad Farooq, 28, a clinical support worker, downloaded material from extremist Jihadi groups and online guides on how to make a bomb, then set his sights on RAF Menwith Hill and St James Hospital, a jury was told.
Prosecutor Jonathan Sandiford KC, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said that Farooq’s “Plan A” was to target the RAF and radar base and when that didn’t come off, he turned his attention to the hospital in Leeds where he worked at the time and was said to harbour a grudge against certain colleagues, namely nurses.
Farooq’s initial plan was to target the US spy base at Menwith Hill but he also planned to blow up part of the hospital and go on a terrorist spree with a firearm, a homemade bomb and a kitchen knife, with the aim of “killing as many people as possible”.
Mr Sandiford said:
“By January 2023, we say that the defendant had become a self-radicalised lone-wolf terrorist who had made preparations to commit a murderous terrorist attack in Yorkshire.”
At about 5am on January 20, Farooq was arrested outside the Gledhow Wing of St James Hospital.
Mr Sandiford said:
“The defendant was in possession of a viable improvised explosive device assembled from a pressure cooker and containing 9.9 kilos of low explosive.
“He had with him, either on his person or in a bag from his car parked nearby, two knives, black tape and a blank-firing imitation firearm.
“The crown’s case is that he had gone to that hospital to commit a terrorist attack (and) seek his own martyrdom by detonating the explosive device and using bladed weapons to kill as many people as possible.
“The crown says it is likely he intended to use the imitation firearm to induce the police with (what would inevitably be) a response to such an incident to give him a martyrdom that he believed would bring him the seven blessings of the martyr and direct entry into Jannah, or Paradise.”
He said it was only “two pieces of good fortune” that averted a major terrorist atrocity and the potential loss of many lives.
Mr Sandiford added:
“The defendant’s first plan of attack at St James Hospital was to send a bomb threat, that there was a bomb inside the hospital, with the intent of causing an evacuation while he was waiting in his car in his car park – waiting to detonate the improvised explosive device and then attack any survivors with the bladed weapons.
“He sent that bomb threat by text message when he was outside the hospital in his car. The first piece of good fortune is that the person he sent it to was another nurse at the hospital.
“She was off duty at home, watching TV, and didn’t see or act upon the message for over an hour. And so, there is the defendant, sat outside waiting for an evacuation that did not occur.”
When people inside the hospital were finally evacuated, it was only a “part-evacuation”, with people being moved within the hospital, not into the car park where Farooq had been waiting.
Mr Sandiford said:
“When the evacuation happened, the defendant drove away.”
He returned to St James a short time later with a new plan of attack which was to carry the weapons including the homemade bomb into the Costa Coffee cafe inside the hospital wing, wait for a change of shift so that it would be full of nurses, “then detonate it, killing as many of them as possible”.
However, “luck intervened again” when a patient having a cigarette outside the entrance bumped into Farooq and “noticed that something appeared to be amiss with the defendant”.
Police were called to the scene and arrested the alleged terror plotter. He was said to be “co-operative and frank” with officers, telling them that the patient had “talked him down”.
Plan to bomb RAF Menwith Hill
The pressure-cooker bomb was made safe by a military bomb-disposal team as police began to run checks on Farooq’s movements prior to the alleged planned attack.
Analysis of his iPhone and his movements in his Seat Ibiza showed that he had also targeted RAF Menwith Hill.
Mr Sandiford added:
“They found he had become self-radicalised by accessing extremist material and propaganda online containing material published by Islamic State and Al Qaeda.”
Farooq had viewed and downloaded extremist documents and videos on TikTok and lectures by radical preacher Anwar al-Awlaki, the Yemeni imam and leading Al Qaeda figure who was killed in an American drone strike in 2011.
He also obtained bomb-making instructions from Inspire, a magazine published by Al Qaeda to “encourage lone-wolf terrorist attacks against the west”, particularly the US and UK.
Mr Sandiford said the bomb guide, said to be written by a man referred to as the “Al Qaeda Chef”, was clearly aimed at an “American audience”.
He added:
“The defendant identified RAF Menwith Hill, the US base in North Yorkshire, as a target for a terror attack.
“The reason for that was because RAF Menwith Hill had been designated as a target for lone-wolf terrorists by Islamic State because it was believed that the base had been used to co-ordinate drone strikes against terrorists in Syria and Iraq.”
Read more:
- Police and fire HQ evacuated after person hands in grenades
- Fresh plan submitted to convert Harrogate strip club into flats
Using cell-site technology, police discovered that Farooq had made at least two visits to the RAF base between January 10 and the day of his arrest on January 20.
Farooq, who appeared for the first day of his trial today, later admitted that he had the explosive device with him when he went to the air base but claimed he had just gone there “for a drive”.
The internet history on his phone also showed he had been following guidance from another Al Qaeda publication called ‘Safety and Security Guidelines for Lone Wolf Mujahideen and small cells’.
The terror guide recommended that the would-be Mujahideen, or Jihadi solider, should have a ‘Plan A’ and a ‘Plan B’ when planning a terrorist atrocity.
He also “obtained instructions for the preparation and manufacture…of five deadly toxins as nerve agents”, namely Ricin, Sarin, VX, Tabun and Tetrodoxin.
In addition to downloading bomb-making instructions, Farooq bought a blank-firing imitation firearm and carried out internet research on how to convert it into a weapon capable of firing live ammunition.

Sheffield Crown Court.
On the ‘Open Source Jihad’ page of Al Qaeda’s terrorist magazine, there was a “map or plan” of RAF Menwith Hill, with an “arrow or flag pointing to Harrogate to the east”.
In the ‘Notes’ section of Farooq’s mobile phone, police found a series of notes in which the alleged would-be terrorist wrote that he “felt alone”.
The notes suggested that Farooq had a “very low sense of self-esteem”, said Mr Sandiford.
In the notes, Farooq said he had “a lot of demons” and was “tired, exhausted and mentally drained”.
He also wrote:
“I’m hoping there’s a little light in the daily struggles I’m facing. To me, love is a (daily struggle) because I’ve never (found it)”.
Mr Sandiford added:
“The crown says that the defendant certainly found a purpose (in life) in what he was planning to do in January of this year.”
He said that Farooq had downloaded an image of a lion with the caption ‘If you want to be strong, plan how to fight alone’, which Mr Sandiford said may have been a veiled reference to “the lone Mujahideen”.
Farooq, of Hetton Road, Roundhay, has already admitted possessing an explosive substance in suspicious circumstances, possessing an improvised explosive device and pyrotechnic fuses.
He has also pleaded guilty to possessing a document likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism and having an imitation firearm with criminal intent, namely a Gediz 9mm PAK semi-automatic pistol, and possession of the same imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.
However, he denies plotting or engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts and the prosecution must prove intent to cause injury to people and property.
The trial continues.
Man accused of plotting terrorist attack on RAF Menwith Hill near HarrogateA man is to go on trial accused of planning terrorist attacks at an RAF base near Harrogate and St James’ Hospital in Leeds.
Mohammed Farooq, 27, of Hetton Road in Roundhay, Leeds, appeared before Sheffield Crown Court yesterday accused of terrorism charges.
According to media reports, a judge told the court the trial related to “an alleged plan to target RAF Menwith Hill, in Harrogate, and St James’s Hospital, in Leeds, in a terrorist attack”.
Mr Farooq denied a charge of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts between July 12, 2021, and January 21, 2023.
He also pleaded not guilty to possessing an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury to property.
However, he admitted a separate charge of possessing an explosive substance in suspicious circumstances between January 18 and January 21.
Mr Farooq also pleaded guilty to possessing a document containing information likely to be useful to a person preparing or committing an act of terrorism.
He also admitted two charges relating to the possession of an imitation firearm.
His trial is due to start at Sheffield Crown Court on Thursday (October 19).
Read more:
- Land Rover found on its roof after Knaresborough collision
- ‘Obsessed’ Harrogate man jailed after breaching restraining order
RAF Menwith Hill submits fresh plans to expand
Plans have been submitted to construct new buildings and roads at US spy base RAF Menwith Hill.
Menwith Hill, which is on the outskirts of Harrogate, is one of the United States’ largest overseas surveillance bases.
Its 37 giant radomes, or ‘golf balls’, are a distinctive feature of the 500-acre site, where much of the secretive activity takes place underground.
A request for an environmental impact assessment screening opinion, which comes before a full planning application, has been submitted to North Yorkshire Council to put up new structures on the northern side of the base.
No new radomes are planned but the project would see the construction of an administration building and another building for technical equipment.
Planning documents say the works would also involve putting in generators, air-cooled chillers, transformers and power distribution modules.
Access roads, a refuelling bay, footpaths, a small car park and a secure perimeter fence surrounding the facilities would also be built.
Read more:
- What role is the US spy base at Menwith Hill playing in the war in Ukraine?
- Menwith Hill upgrades part of £2.8bn programme
- MP’s memorial tree at RAF Menwith Hill saved
Several new radomes have been built at the site in recent years and in 2022 plans were approved to build a new visitor centre, vehicle canopy and changes to the road junction on Menwith Hill Road.
RAF Menwith Hill was built in the 1950s and leased to the US during the height of the Cold War but it has continued to be used to support American military operations abroad including during the war on terror.
The site is also used by UK intelligence agency GCHQ.
Leaked documents from whistleblower Edward Snowden identified Menwith Hill as providing the intelligence for a significant number of operations to “eliminate” targets in the Middle East.
MP’s memorial tree at RAF Menwith Hill savedA memorial tree at RAF Menwith Hill that was under threat of removal has been saved and replanted.
The tree was originally planted in 1994 in memory of Bob Cryer, who was the Labour MP for Bradford South. He was a vocal campaigner for transparency at the base and died in a car accident in 1994.
Mr Cryer secured a debate in parliament a few months before he died when he claimed the aim of the base was to “assert and retain United States supremacy”.
The Ministry of Defence, which owns the site, is building a new visitor centre, vehicle canopy and changes to the road junction on Menwith Hill Road.
However, this work involved removing the memorial tree that was replanted close to the site’s main gate in 2002. It was planted alongside the public highway on land not owned by the MOD.
Read more:
- What role is the US spy base at Menwith Hill playing in the war in Ukraine?
- Menwith Hill upgrades part of £2.8bn programme
Last year, the Stray Ferret spoke to the late MP’s wife, Ann Cryer, who was the MP for Keighley from 1997 until 2010. She said she was “very upset” about the possible removal of the memorial tree.
But on Thursday, the MOD replanted the tree 100 metres away from its old location with work overseen by both an arboriculturist and an ecologist.
This means the tree should hopefully survive while plans to upgrade the entrance at the base can continue.

Bob Cryer’s alder tree in its new location
Sqn Ldr Geoff Dickson, RAF Menwith Hill, said the MOD wanted to ensure the move was done in a way that was “sympathetic to the memory of Mr Cryer”.
A second alder tree was also planted.
Sqn Ldr Dickson said:
“Mindful of the significance, we wanted to be sympathetic to the memory of Mr Cryer and to the sensitivities of the protest groups. Accordingly, we hired a professional tree removal company to re-locate the alder some 100 metres further west on the verge bordering Menwith Hill road.
“The operation was successfully carried out last Thursday, with the roots of the tree being dug out by hand so as to avoid damage to the roots system. The work was overseen by both an arboriculturist, and an ecologist. A second alder similar in size was planted a few feet away to complement the original tree. We sincerely hope the tree will survive and thrive in its new habitat.”
The move was welcomed by Lindis Percy, co-founder of the Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases.
Ms Percy said:
“The America base at Menwith Hill is to be significantly upgraded so the alder tree dedicated to the memory and work of Bob Cryer MP had to be moved.
“He worked tirelessly to make the base accountable to Parliament. His work has been continued by many people since his untimely death in 1994 and we hope the tree survives the move.”