World-famous gardens near Ripon suffering as heatwave exacerbates droughtPublic opinion wanted for review of coastal dog walking restrictionsHarrogate and Ripon hospitals maintain visitor restrictions due to high covid rates

The NHS trust that runs hospitals in Harrogate and Ripon is to maintain visitor restrictions while coronavirus case rates remain high.

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust imposed restrictions at Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital on December 23 amid concerns about the Omicron variant.

It means visitors are only allowed for patients on end of life care, patients with a learning disability or severe cognitive impairment such as dementia. Parents or carers of children and birthing partners are also permitted.


Read more:


At the time, the hospital said it would review the restrictions regularly and relax them “at the earliest opportunity”.

However, although the government removed all Plan B measures a week ago, the trust has yet to say when regular visits will resume.

A spokesperson for the trust said today:

“Visitor guidance has not changed since December 23, 2021, although it is regularly reviewed.

“While infection rates remain at the current levels, we need to maintain the current restrictions on visitors to our wards for the safety of our patients and staff.

“These restriction also still apply to those people wanting to accompany outpatients to their appointments.

“Anyone entering our hospital will also need to wear a mask, ensure they sanitise their hands and maintain social distancing.”

Another 339 covid infections were recorded in the Harrogate district yesterday, bringing the seven-day average to 1,305 cases per 100,000 people — the highest in North Yorkshire and considerably above the England rate of 1,048.

Former Healthwatch chair calls on Harrogate District Hospital to allow visitors

A former chair of Healthwatch North Yorkshire has described the suspension of visitors to hospitals in Harrogate and Ripon as a “scandal” and called for the decision to be reversed.

NHS Harrogate and District Foundation Trust introduced the measure yesterday at Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital due to the threat of the Omicron variant.

Visitors are now only allowed for patients on end of life care, or if a patient has a learning disability or severe cognitive impairment like dementia. Parents or carers of children and birthing partners are also permitted.

Ripon Community Hospital, Firby Lane

Ripon Community Hospital, Firby Lane

It means that many patients will not be able to see their families and loved ones on Christmas Day.


Read more:


Chris Brackley, who lives in Harrogate and stepped down in October as chair of Healthwatch, which gives patient feedback to NHS leaders so services can be improved, told the Stray Ferret:

“Harrogate and District Foundation Trust needs to reverse these measures immediately. They are unfair and an absolute scandal.

“If necessary bring in the requirement for visitors to provide proof of a negative lateral flow test. It may not be popular but it would be far better to give people that option.

“From the data I have seen I see no reason to bring in restriction on visitors. We at least need a date for when these measures are going to be under review.

“These new measures were communicated poorly and will leave many alone this Christmas, like my 91-year-old mother in law who fell at home and is suffering with a fractured pelvis.”

 

Harrogate District Hospital.

Mr Brackley added that he believed the number of unvaccinated frontline staff at Harrogate and District Foundation Trust posed a greater coronavirus risk than visitors, who could have had three vaccinations.

Decision ‘not taken lightly’

Last month the Stray Ferret reported that there were believed to be 450 unvaccinated frontline health staff at the trust, although that number is likely to have been reduced.

The Stray Ferret asked the trust to comment on Mr Brackley’s views.

Emma Nunez, executive director of nursing, midwifery and allied health professionals at the trust, said:

“This decision has not been taken lightly and it is one which trust’s across the country are having to consider. Many trusts already restrict visiting and others are currently considering putting similar restrictions in place.

“We understand that this will be disappointing for people who have a loved one in our care, and we apologise for any upset that this will cause, but we have had to take this difficult decision to protect both our patients and our staff.

“We will be reviewing our visitor arrangements regularly and we will look to relax visiting restrictions at the earliest opportunity.”

Harrogate outdoor cinema positive about restrictions ending

An outdoor cinema company that is due to show films in the district says it isn’t worried about losing its audience once restrictions are lifted.

Blue Sky began screening movies throughout lockdown to give people an opportunity to leave their homes without fear of catching covid.

The company is due to hold eight movie screenings in Harrogate rugby club at the end of the month.

But with government restrictions set to be lifted on July 19, outdoor cinemas could start to see their audiences leaving for mask-free indoor options.


Read More:


Outdoor cinema

However, Ian Taylor, managing director of Blue Sky, says he and his team remain positive:

“People have gotten into the habit of entertaining themselves, which has become a problem with a lot of sectors. But opening up allows for people to invite their friends and show them the stuff they’ve been doing during the lockdown.”

Mr Taylor also predicted people will enjoy drive-in cinemas more than indoor ones during the winter:

“Drive-in cinemas are a good option in the winter months when we get closer to October time. You can stay warm but also talk to your family or friends without disturbing anyone, you can bring your own food and drink.”

 

Tier two gives Harrogate district hotels hope for winter

Hotels in the Harrogate district breathed a collective sigh of relief yesterday as the area was told it was moving into tier two.

Tier two restrictions, while closing wet-led pubs, paves the way for hotels to reopen at the end of the lockdown next week.

It may not be the same sort of takings that hotels would normally hope for over the festive period but it is a positive sign for the sector.


Read more:


The Majestic Hotel on Ripon Road will now be able to bring its team back from furlough and it putting reopening plans in place.

Andy Barnsdale, the general manager at the Majestic Hotel, said:

“We are now planning the process of reopening on Wednesday and bringing the team back, which is good news.

“We are looking closely at the guidelines and tailoring our food options for our indoor careering as well as for the outdoor Majestic Winter Teepee.”

Anthony Blundell, the assistant general manager at West Park Hotel, said:

“We will of course have all the safety measures in place but I think we might be in for a busy December when we re open next week with lots of bookings already and more coming in.

“I think the substantial meals rule will have an impact, we will just need to convert those people who are coming for a drink into having a meal.”

Harrogate district pubs were ‘praying for tier one’

Pubs in the Harrogate district have voiced their disappointment at being placed in tier two at the end of lockdown.

Rick Jones, who owns the Water Rat and Valentino’s, said: “We were all praying for tier one. But with a very limited number of areas going into tier one it is not a surprise.”

He expects the impact of tier two to mean that business at the Water Rat pub will be down by around 30% compared to the same time last year.

Mr Jones added: “Celebratory casual drinks in December won’t be happening. There’s only so many times you can go out with your own household. There’s a vaccine in sight. We just have to face this and ride it out.”


Read more:


While trade will be down for his pubs, wet-led pubs that cannot serve substantial meals with drinks have to close.

Richard Park, of the Little Ale House, also said: “It is something we were expecting but we are of course disappointed. It just makes no sense to close small, safe pubs like ours.

“Just because we don’t have the capacity to cook substantial meals, whatever that means, we are forced to keep our doors shut.”

Megan Fairweather, the social media secretary at Harrogate and Ripon CAMRA, added:

“After an agonising wait, licensees across the country have had their worst fears confirmed – in all but three council areas in the country, pubs will either be closed or only able to open if they are serving substantial meals.”

Harrogate venues warn of dire consequences of tier two

Some of Harrogate’s most popular venues have spoken of their concerns for the future of their staff and businesses if North Yorkshire moves to tier two.

North Yorkshire County Council warned yesterday the county could move from tier one to tier two by the end of the week amid rising covid infection rates.

Martin Greenhow, managing director of the Mojo group, said covid restrictions had already been “catastrophic” for the hospitality sector. He added:

Moving through the tiers is like squeezing hard on the trigger of the executioner’s gun.

“We’ve already seen a reduction in trade of about 70% between pre-covid levels and the introduction of the curfew. Moving into tier two we’re expecting an 80% drop-off in trade, going by other sites’ progress.” 

North Bar in Harrogate is also concerned about the likely impact. Assistant manager Jessica Parkinson said:

We’re worried for the staff, what it means for them, as we’ve already had to cut hours and seen less footfall, which is very sad.” 

However, Simon Cotton, managing director of the HRH Group, whose properties include the Fat Badger, the White Hart Hotel and the Yorkshire Hotel, said the main difference between tier one and tier two for venues was policing. He added:

“Do you look at groups of people and assume that they’re not a family or one household when they actually might be? There are lots of exceptions to the rule, such as meetings. For work reasons you’re exempt, so the rules are open to abuse so easily.

“Staff can politely ask the question but can’t be expected to strictly enforce this as we’re not the police.

“It does rely on the public doing what they should in terms of the government guidelines. It is not up to hospitality to police this.”

North Yorkshire could enter tier two this week

North Yorkshire could move into tier two coronavirus restrictions by the end of the week, according to the county council’s director of health and adult services.

Richard Webb said this morning the situation in the county was “hanging by a thread” due to rising infection rates.

The Selby and Harrogate districts are particular problem areas, with seven-day infection rates of 230 cases and 203 cases per 100,000 people respectively.

Average infection rates in the county remain below the England average of 220 cases per 100,000.


Read more:


But they are rising, which prompted Mr Webb to issue the warning at today’s weekly press briefing of the North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, which is a partnership of agencies that tackles emergencies. He said:

“The situation in North Yorkshire is now hanging by a thread. We are currently in tier one but that is really on a knife edge.

“We may even be in a situation at the end of this week where we move into tier two restrictions. But we are hoping that we can prevent that.

“We want to stay in tier one. It is better for livelihoods and for economic wellbeing. Today we are asking people to act now to save lives more than ever.”

Mr Webb said it would be up to the government to decide North Yorkshire’s fate.

People in tier two areas are prohibited from socialising with anybody outside their household or support bubble in any indoor setting.

People in pubs and restaurants can only consume food and drink while seated. Takeaway food can only be bought after 10pm if ordered online or by phone.

The press briefing also revealed that Harrogate District Hospital has 12 coronavirus patients – three of whom are in intensive care.

Care home visit scheme branded ‘placatory’ by dementia patient’s daughter

A Harrogate woman campaigning for care home visits to be allowed said she does not see a government pilot scheme as a significant step forward.

Speaking to MPs this week, care minister Helen Whately said a pilot scheme to give relatives ‘key worker status’ – testing them for covid and allowing them to visit care homes – is being planned.

However, Judy Bass, whose 99-year-old father lives in a Harrogate care home, said more urgent progress needs to be made across the country for the sake of residents’ well-being.

“I don’t think it’s particularly a step forward. I think it’s placatory, because they have known about this for so long. It just needs to be put in place.

“Piloting it – I don’t even know how that would operate or if it would have any effect. They just need to put it in place. Relatives need to be given key worker status and tested and allowed to visit.”

Ms Bass also questioned whether the project would even be possible, given the struggle to deliver testing around the country.

Last month, introducing a ban on visitors across the county throughout October, North Yorkshire County Council’s head of health and adult services, Richard Webb, said although he was in favour of testing relatives to allow them to visit, the lack of tests available made that “unrealistic”.


Read more:


Ms Bass and her brother are being allowed to visit their father this week for the first time – but only to see him through a window. As he has dementia, she is concerned the visit will distress him or, even worse, that he will not recognise his children.

“We will try and see how he copes with it, but he might not understand what’s going on. He might not know who I am, he might be exhausted by the whole thing. I go with trepidation.”

This week, care homes have reacted strongly to the suggestion that they could be asked to take in patients from hospitals who have tested positive for covid. Some councils have approached care homes to ask them to provide separate space for people recovering from the virus after being discharged, away from other residents.

Sam Monaghan, the chief executive of MHA, which runs care homes across the country including Berwick Grange in Harrogate, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme he was “highly concerned” about people with the virus being brought into close contact with vulnerable communities. Speaking about the logistics of accommodating them separately, he added:

“Unless you are talking about care home providers who have got buildings that aren’t yet occupied, it will be moving people out of their home, their room that they have got, if you are trying to cohort part of the home.

“You would be having to separate your staff group into those who are working with people without covid and those who are working with covid, and what the arrangements and protections for those staff at the heightened level of risk would be.

“And then there is the risk of transmission within that geographic space, even if you managed to create an artificial barrier between the two.”

Judy Bass and her father

Judy Bass and her father, a few years ago.

For Ms Bass, who has not seen her father since March, introducing covid patients to a care home while still preventing relatives who have tested negative for the virus from visiting, is beyond comprehension.

She told the Stray Ferret action needs to be taken quickly for the sake of residents who may not have long left to live and whose families are missing vital time with their loved ones.

“It’s going to be a hard enough winter for everybody, but to make things harder for us and our relatives is so unfair. We speak as often as we can, but conversation is very limited. He is stable, but it’s very difficult for me to tell how he is mentally without sitting with him and being with him to get those vibes.

“I don’t think we have seen a particular mental deterioration, but it’s just he shouldn’t be in that situation and we shouldn’t either.

“Ours is very minimal compared to a lot of people, but if my father has deteriorated and doesn’t know who we are, we’ve lost that little window of time with him that we had.”