Former Harrogate Town player Jack Diamond has been charged with rape.
Northumbria Police confirmed today Gateshead-born Mr Diamond had been charged with one count of rape and one count of sexual assault.
He joined Lincoln City on loan from parent club Sunderland after a second loan spell at Harrogate ended last year.
Lincoln City have terminated his contract and parent club Sunderland have suspended him pending the outcome of the judicial process.
A Northumbria Police spokesperson said:
“In May last year, we received a report that a woman had been sexually assaulted inside an address in the Washington area.
“An investigation was immediately launched and a man was subsequently arrested.
“Jack Diamond, 23, of Fatfield, Washington, has now been charged with one count of rape and one count of sexual assault and is due to appear at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court in May.”
Mr Diamond played for Town on loan during their National League campaign in 2019-20, scoring one of the goals at Wembley that earned promotion to the English Football League for the first time ever.
He returned to the club on loan during the 2021-22 season in League Two of the English Football League.
In his two loan spells, he scored 16 goals in 66 appearances.
A Lincoln City statement said:
“Jack Diamond’s loan spell at City has been terminated with immediate effect.
“The club are unable to make any further statement at this time.”
Read more:
- Andrew Jones to stand for election again in Harrogate and Knaresborough
- Harrogate Town plans new terrace and merchandise kiosk
- Harrogate Town post £1.2 million loss
Fans barred from Harrogate Town match vs Sunderland due to safety fears
Harrogate Town’s pre-season friendly against Sunderland today will be played behind closed doors after county council safety officials raised concerns.
Just 24 hours before the match, the club said it received a letter from North Yorkshire County Council‘s safety advisory group informing them of issues which “made them uneasy”. No further details were revealed.
About 800 Sunderland fans were believed to have been due to travel south for the match at the EnviroVent Stadium
There are just two weeks to go until Town’s first match of the season at home to Rochdale.
Read more:
- Harrogate Town fan groups locked in bitter dispute over new supporters trust
- Newcastle to send under-23 team to Harrogate tomorrow after covid outbreak
- Harrogate Town promotion-winning goalkeeper joins Bristol Rovers
It’s another blow for Town supporters, who last week were denied the chance of watching their side play against Premier League Newcastle United’s first team after a covid outbreak forced Magpies manager Steve Bruce to send an under-23s team instead.
Town said supporters who bought a ticket for the Sunderland game would receive a full refund.
A Harrogate Town statement said:
“At just after 2pm on Friday 23rd July the club received a letter from North Yorkshire County Council safety advisory group who had identified a number of issues that made them uneasy about the match going ahead with a crowd.
“We are working with the SAG to address the points they have raised for future fixtures.
“All supporters who purchased a ticket for the fixture will receive a full refund.
“The fixture will be available to watch live free of charge via Sunderland AFC’s official website.
“Anyone who had already purchased a stream at £10 via live.harrogatetownafc.com will be refunded.
“We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused”
A Sunderland AFC statement said:
“SAFC understands that supporters will be extremely disappointed by this news and its last-minute nature, with many fans incurring considerable personal expense to put travel plans in place.
“We share this disappointment and will work closely with HTFC to ensure that all ticket holders receive a full refund as soon as possible.
“Following today’s update stating that supporters would no longer be permitted to attend the fixture, SAFC has taken the decision to stream the fixture on the SAFSee platform free of charge.
Supporters who have already purchased a streaming pass will also receive a full refund.”
County council officials said the club submitted a risk assessment and stewarding plan on Friday morning following safety concerns raised after the Rotherham United game on Wednesday night.
However, the authority said the assessment and plan was “unfortunately not sufficient”. It added that “discussions continue to see what can be done to find a safe solution looking ahead”.
Among the issues that needed to be addressed were medical support, stewarding and spectator safety, according to the council.
Matt O’Neill, assistant director for growth, planning and trading standards at NYCC, said:
Harrogate Town add Sunderland and Rotherham to pre-season fixtures“Together with partner agencies in the Safety Advisory Group we have pulled out all the stops to try to support the club to deal with a range of safety measures that had to be addressed to enable the match to go ahead.
“Safety standards are put in place to protect the spectators and ensure a safe match by the Sports Ground Safety Association (an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport) and, as the public would expect, they must be met.
“We recognise that this will be disappointing for the fans who were looking forward to the friendly match against Sunderland AFC, especially after such a difficult last season due to covid restrictions. However, the safety of everyone entering the facility must come first.”
Harrogate Town announced today they will play two pre-season friendlies at home against Sunderland and Rotherham.
Town will welcome both sides to the EnviroVent Stadium in July as part of the club’s pre-season fixtures.
Championship side Rotherham United will face Town on Wednesday, July 21, in a 7.30pm kick off.
The club will then host League One club Sunderland at the EnviroVent Stadium for the first time on Saturday, July 24 in a 3pm kick off.
Read more:
- English Football League approves Harrogate Town’s bid to create academy
- Harrogate Town releases seven players
- Harrogate Town make first signing of summer transfer window
The Black Cats will head to Wetherby Road less than a week after bitter north-east rivals Newcastle come to Harrogate on July 18.
The club said it is in “constant communication” with the authorities over the return of supporters amid high demand for tickets.
A spokesperson for Harrogate Town said:
“The club has been inundated with eager supporters, both old and new, keen to purchase tickets for the visit of Newcastle United, and we anticipate similar demand for our two other home pre-season fixtures.
“We are in constant communication with the relevant regulatory bodies about the return of crowds after lockdown restrictions are lifted and as soon as we have the green light tickets will be sold online via the club website and at the club shop on Commercial Street.
“We are committed to the return of supporters and are doing everything in our power to make this happen as soon as possible.”
Town are also set for trips to Huddersfield, Brighouse Town and Darlington.
Will Smith signs long term deal
Also today, centre-back Will Smith committed his future to the club by signing a new long term deal.
Smith, who has made more than 80 appearances for Town over two seasons, said he was delighted to stay at the club.

Will Smith, Harrogate Town centre back, has committed his long term future to the club. Photo credit: Matt Kirkham, Harrogate Town
He said:
“I was buzzing when the gaffer approached me and said he wanted me to sign a new deal. I’m ready to accept the challenge and hopefully we can kick on again and go further.
“I’ve learned a lot in the last two years. When I first arrived I was only a young lad and now I’ve grown up a lot and become better as a player and matured.
“It’s been a great learning curve for me and to say I’m still 22-years-old, I’ve played a fair few games now and that’s only going to make me better.”
Manager Simon Weaver said:
“Will’s played a huge part in our progress as a club. He’s a strong, young player who is developing all the time and he was unlucky with an injury last year, but came back and immediately made his mark in his first game back. It shows a lot about his character and his rehab work.
“Overall he’s a strong, dominant centre-half that’s young and in the modern game, there’s not too many around that want to put their head through everything but he’s a good footballer as well. He’s a player who also listens to everything intently and wants to do well in the game.”