A Masham play area will reopen today following a refurb.
Westholme Court play area, near Leyburn Road, underwent the makeover after the previous equipment was found to be unfit for purpose.
Councillor Flo Grainger, who has overseen the project on behalf of Masham Parish Council, told the Stray Ferret the play area was left “unequipped” after the developer of a nearby housing estate “claimed bankruptcy in the face of providing the play equipment”.
The parish council applied for the Tarmac Landfill Communities Fund, provided by Derbyshire Environmental Trust, to breathe new life into the playground.
Cllr Grainger said the trust’s response was “very positive” and the council secured a £33,995 grant.
Councillors then handed a £3,782 contract to Streetscape, a Selby-based outdoor play equipment firm, to revamp the Westholme Court play area.
The refurb took nine days to complete, Cllr Grainger added.
The new playground includes two animal-themed springers, a roundabout, a large play fort, a seesaw and a new swing-set suitable for toddlers and children.
Read more:
Business Breakfast: Harrogate mobile company reports improved revenue
A Harrogate-based mobile company has reported improved results in its half-year report.
Mobile Tornado, which is based at Cardale Park, recorded total revenue of £1.26 million for the six months up to June 30.
The figure is an increase from £1.10 million in the same period in 2021/22.
In that time, the company has reached a landmark agreement with Leeds Bradford Airport to provide push-to-talk over cellular equipment for the airport’s workforce.
Jeremy Fenn, chairman and acting chief executive of Mobile Tornado, said:
“The company has for some time been a key player in the PTToC (press-to-talk over cellular) market, with a presence in Africa, South America and Europe.
“Our solution meets the mission-critical communication needs of our customers, and is characterised by a number of key differentiators, such as seamless transition, market-leading group sizes, a unique dispatcher console, and highly efficient data utilisation.
“These features continue to set us apart from our competitors and allow us to deliver market leading performance to our partners and customers.”
Companies build bike track for Boroughbridge school
Local companies have come together to create a bike track for a Boroughbridge school.
Jon Cole, of Infrastructure Managers Ltd, and Mark Simpson, of Tarmac, helped to convert a piece of muddy playground at Boroughbridge Primary School into a new track for pupils.

The opening of the bike track.
The new facility was opened last week.
Neil Ryder, deputy headteacher at the school, said:
“We are thrilled the children at the school have access to such a quality resource, they are very lucky and we can’t thank all the people involved in producing it for us.
“We want our school to promote the importance of active lifestyles and environmental responsibility. We hope this will start our desire to get more children and adults riding bikes and scooters to get to and from school.”
Read more:
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate housing company secures £150m funding for new homes
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate care provider opens new training centre
- Business Breakfast: Harrogate business meeting to focus on inflation
Councillors call for ‘comprehensive resurfacing’ of Ripon city centre roads
Councillors are calling for damaged roads in Ripon city centre to be resurfaced with tarmac as a matter of urgency.
The principal areas of concern are the four roads around Market Square where block paving has lifted and cracked because of the volume of traffic.
In recent years North Yorkshire Council has carried out temporary repairs by putting tarmac over the worst-affected sections, leaving the surface looking like a patchwork quilt.

Roads around the market are the main concern.
On Friday, city council leader Andrew Williams will tour Ripon with North Yorkshire highways officials to show them where problems exist with cracked and uneven roads and pavements.
At Monday evening’s full council meeting, he said:
“There are many parts of Ripon where repair and renewal is required, but the dangerous state of the roads around Market Square is totally unacceptable for drivers, pedestrians and cyclists and the temporary fixes just don’t work.
“These are the busiest roads in the city centre and comprehensive resurfacing works need to be included in North Yorkshire Highways capital programme as a matter of urgency.”
Cllr Williams’ proposal, which calls on North Yorkshire to make the work a priority, was unanimously supported by fellow councillors.
Read more:
- Ripon Hospital to carry out more health checks following £1 million award
- A weekend of family fun at Ripon festival
Ripon’s ‘Stonehenge of the north’ gifted to nation
A monument over 5,000 years old between Ripon and Masham is set to open to the public free of charge.
The Thornborough Henges complex includes three large circular earthworks each more than 100 metres in diameter.
Historic England described the Neolithic site as “probably the most important single ancient site between Stonehenge and the Orkney Islands in Scotland”.
Construction firms Tarmac and Lightwater Holdings have gifted the site into the legal ownership of Historic England, which is a non-departmental public body, although it will be managed by the charity English Heritage.
The site is is located near West Tanfield, between Ripon and Masham, just outside the Harrogate district.
It falls within the Richmond constituency of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who said:
“The Thornborough Henges site has enormous potential to help tell the story of ancient Britain and I very much welcome this announcement about its future – its safeguarding and preservation for the nation.
“Comparatively few people are aware of its significance – both locally and nationally. I hope many more will come to appreciate this little-known gem of our history and while doing so provide a welcome boost to the local visitor economy.”
Historic England said in a statement:
“The earthworks are thought to have been part of a ritual landscape and are probably the most important single ancient site between Stonehenge and the Orkney Islands in Scotland.”
Read more:
- Knaresborough Castle could host more events as new era dawns
- Demolition of four sinkhole-hit Ripon homes ready to begin
Thornborough Henges will join various Roman sites on Hadrian’s Wall and Stonehenge within the National Heritage Collection.
The deal started to come to fruition in 2016 and has finally been settled after years of controversy over quarrying in the surrounding area of the monument.
Duncan Wilson, chief executive of Historic England said:
Thornborough Henges and their surrounding landscape form part of the most important concentration of Neolithic monuments in the north of England. They are a link to our ancient ancestors, through thousands of years, inspiring a sense of wonder and mystery. We are thrilled to have acquired this highly significant site for the nation, ensuring that these magnificent monuments are safe and will be preserved for generations to come.
Find out more here.
Whole of Harrogate’s Bogs Lane now to be resurfacedNorth Yorkshire County Council has agreed to resurface the whole of Bogs Lane.
Previously, the council said it would only lay fresh tarmac on the stretch of road from the Forest Lane junction of Knaresborough Road to Henshaw’s College. Work began last week.
The road, just off the main A59 Knaresborough Road, is in a busy residential area that has been affected by numerous new housing schemes.
However, following requests from resident Malcolm Binks and Starbeck Liberal Democrat councillor Philip Broadbank, the county council has now agreed to resurface the whole stretch of road.
Cllr Broadbank said that this will now include the section from Henshaw’s College to the low bridge that connects Bogs Lane to Kingsley Road.
He said:
“The road’s been in a very poor condition for a long time. It beggared belief the county council didn’t decide to do it until now.”
The councillor said the resurfacing work should be completed by the end of this week.
Read more:
Lorry fears over million-tonne Masham quarry extension plan
Plans have been unveiled to extract a further one million tonnes of sand and gravel from a quarry near Masham, despite concerns over the impact of rising numbers of HGVs on rural roads.
Tarmac has lodged a proposal with North Yorkshire County Council to extend the life of Nosterfield Quarry by seven years to 2031.
This comes as the county council continues to examine Lightwater Quarries’ plan to extend and restore the nearby Gebdykes Quarry, which could see the daily number of HGV movements rise from 138 to 206.
As Tarmac’s plans have only recently been submitted community leaders said they had not yet formed a view over its potential impact.
However, they said it had been noted the firm’s proposals would see many more HGVs for years to come on the rural roads than if Nosterfield Quarry stopped being worked in 2024, as agreed in its previous planning permission.
Read more:
- Quarry plan near Masham ‘could boost ecology’, says study
- Plan approved to convert former Smarties nursery in Ripley into home
Bedale division councillor John Weighell said while the roads in the area were already much used by HGVs, the industry was important for the area, so any potential issues for the road network would need to be carefully considered.
Ancient monument
Agents for Tarmac said its proposed 40-hectare Oaklands extension to Nosterfield Quarry would be worked between next year and 2027, producing 250,000 tonnes a year, before a further 470,000 tonnes of the mineral beneath the current plant site would be extracted until 2030.
These phases would be followed by final restoration of the quarry, which is near the ancient monument complex of Thornborough Henges.
That work would overseen by a group including English Heritage and the county council before the end of 2031, according to the documents.
The papers state:
“Restoration to date at Nosterfield Quarry has been primarily nature conservation-based, but with a guiding principle of enhancing the understanding of the history of the area and its evolving landscape.
“The group oversees the management and development of the wider area, including the western end of the quarry, and the Thornborough Henges to ensure that archaeological understanding, nature conservation, and public access are all managed in a unified manner.”
Tarmac’s agents said all lorries would use the quarry’s existing access onto the B6267 and that there would be no change to the volume of traffic entering and leaving the site, where ten staff are employed, alongside scores of contractors and hauliers who rely on work derived from site.
The papers state:
Ripon council seeks to resolve uneven roads around market square“In terms of road haulage, the extension would see a continuation of the existing haulage operations that result, on average, in 88 vehicle movements per day, which equates to eight vehicles per hour.
“Overall, it is considered that the proposed development can be accommodated on the surrounding highway network without significant impacts and no mitigation measures are required.”
Roads running around the four quarters of Ripon’s ancient Market Square have been branded a ‘disgrace’ and ‘not fit for purpose.’
The problem lies in block paving, which replaced a tarmac surface that previously surrounded the square.
Traffic, including heavy goods vehicles and Transdev’s double deck 36 bus service, have to use the circulatory route.

A patched-up section of Market Place East
Weight of traffic, which is increasing as new housing schemes bring more vehicles into the city centre, is adding to the problem, as the blocks are regularly coming out of place or being damaged.
Read more:
- Ripon councillors say report is ‘flawed’
- Ripon wears its poppies with pride
- Santa’s sleigh saved from Ripon scrapheap
- Lights fantastic for Ripon festivities
With Market Place East – now resembling a patchwork quilt, as sections of tarmac fill gaps where the surface has sunk – Ripon City Council is calling for an end to the Ripon’s bumpy ride and a return of tarmac, which councillors considered a more suitable and serviceable surface.
Councillors Stuart Martin and Mike Chambers, who are Ripon’s representatives on North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) agreed that the time is right to call for the highway authority to act.
Cllr Martin, said:
“I have raised the matter with the highways department. The Market Place East and West roads are a disgrace and not fit for purpose.”
At Ripon City Council’s virtual full council meeting, members voted unanimously to call on NYCC to replace the block paving with tarmac.
Council leader, Councillor Andrew Williams, said:
“When the work is done, we can ask for the contractors to work in the evening, to minimise disruption to the city centre.”
To avoid disruption to Christmas trade, it was agreed that tarmac patches on affected areas, would be an acceptable temporary solution.