Two teenagers arrested in Harrogate after police stop car ‘weaving around the road’Harrogate teens sell toys and clothes to buy tickets to the fair‘Extensive action’ pledged to tackle teen bike track in Harrogate woodsNorth Yorkshire Council has pledged to take “extensive action” against young people using woods in Harrogate as a bike track.
The council flattened the track in Oak Beck Park in May following complaints about vandalism.
But another makeshift route has appeared in the woods, which are near Oak Beck Retail Park, during the school holidays.
One local resident, who asked not to be named, said the area had been “transformed again” and some areas had become no-go zones to her.
She said there were “massive ramps and holes” and volunteers regularly tidied litter.
“The area where the pine trees grow has been used by generations of children riding their bikes. Never in the 20 or so years I have walked here, have I seen this level of wanton vandalism, or disregard for other users, flora and fauna.
“A shrug of shoulders and the comment ‘it’s school holidays’ does not wash with me or many others trying to enjoy this green space.”
She said no cycling signs on gates at the entrance of Oak Beck Park this summer “stayed there for less than 48 hours”.

The track approaching one of the jumps.
Karl Battersby, the council’s corporate director for environment, said:
“We are taking extensive action in response to complaints from regular users about littering and anti-social behaviour, including liaising with police about further patrols.
“Actions have included working with youth agencies and visiting the local youth club to talk to bike users about why ramps cannot be erected over paths and how the site is for everyone, not only cyclists. We have also spoken to bike riders on site. We have erected signs and posters, but these have been removed.
“Owners of land adjoining the site have repaired the perimeter fence to prevent unofficial access routes.”
Mr Battersby said the council was assessing damage to trees and footpaths. He added:
“We continue to visit the site regularly to ensure pathways are maintained safely, and volunteers hold regular litter-picks at the site.”

One of the holes.
Councillor Monika Slater, a Liberal Democrat whose Bilton Grange and New Park division includes the woods, said she understood there was potential funding to create an allocated site for bikers in the woods.
Cllr Slater said this would be a good outcome, adding:
“I walk my dogs there and have never seen anything although that’s not to say it doesn’t happen.
“Ultimately young people need activities to do and places to go and there’s not an awful lot of choice.”
Read more:
UPDATE: Two missing Harrogate teenage girls found safePolice have found two teenage girls reported missing from home in Harrogate last night.
An urgent search was launched for the pair on Thursday night.
Police called on the public to look out for the pair, who were believed to be missing together and also have links to Boroughbridge.
Police requested that any possible sightings were reported immediately by calling 999, quoting reference NYP-06072023-0603 for Leah and NYP-06072023-0601 for Grace.
Read more:
Headteachers unite to warn of vaping dangers to children in Harrogate districtHeadteachers from across the Harrogate district have issued a joint letter to all parents warning of the dangers of vaping.
The unusual move by secondary school leaders was prompted by “an increase in the number of incidents in our local community”, the letter said.
The heads of Boroughbridge High, Harrogate College, Harrogate Grammar, Harrogate High, King James’s, Nidderdale High, Ripon Grammar, Rossett, Springwell, St Aidan’s and St John Fisher schools have all put their names to the letter, which says:
“We are aware that there have been reports of young people becoming unwell and needing medical attention after using vapes.
“Vapes can come in a variety of different forms, shapes, and sizes. Some common styles of vapes include ones which look like a thick pen or highlighter pen.
“These devices are usually very small and can be concealed on a person or blend in with school/college equipment, therefore they can be easily mistaken or missed.”
Respiratory problems
The letter warns that vaping from a young age may lead to respiratory problems in later life, and recent research shows children could be inhaling unsafe amounts of lead and nickel. There have been reports of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compound in cannabis, being used in vaping, the letter said.
The headteachers also said young people could view vaping as a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes, but the nicotine is still addictive.
The letter points parents towards information from Ash, Kids Health, and West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership, and says anyone with concerns can speak to their child’s school. It concludes:
“We are sure that you agree that the possession and use of vapes on any school/college premises is something that we simply cannot tolerate.
“Any student found in possession of a vape will be subject to a serious school/college sanction, including the risk of suspension. Please note that we will report possession of any illegal substances to the police.
“We hope that you welcome this letter in the spirit with which it is intended and that you share and understand our shared concerns about this potentially harmful issue.
“We want to be open about the risks involved and we encourage you to have a conversation with your child about this subject matter.”
Read more:
Teenager charged with attempted murder on Claro RoadA 16-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder after an incident in Harrogate’s Claro Road at the weekend.
The teenager, who cannot be named because of his age, is due to appear at York Magistrates’ Court tomorrow morning.
A man in his teens found at the scene with “significant injuries” remains in a critical condition in hospital tonight.
Police were called to the property in Claro Road at 12.15am on Sunday. Paramedics also attended and took the young man to hospital.
There was a heavy police presence around the area yesterday and North Yorkshire Police has urged people not to speculate on social media about the incident.
At the time, Detective Inspector Nichola Holden said:
“We know local residents are likely to be concerned by this incident and I hope the quick arrest of a suspect will go some way to reassure them.
“We believe this to be an isolated event with both teenagers known to each other and we are carrying out a full investigation to establish the full circumstances surrounding it.”
“Several witnesses have been spoken to or interviewed by officers investigating this incident and we are confident we have spoken to everyone we need to. However, if you have any other information which you feel may be relevant, please contact police as soon as possible.”
Anyone with information can call North Yorkshire Police on 101 or, if they wish to remain anonymous, contact the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, quoting reference 1223001009.
Read more:
Shocking video shows teenagers attacking police in Harrogate McDonald’sThis video reveals the shocking moment three teenage girls attacked two police officers in McDonald’s in Harrogate.
The footage shows punches being thrown at the officers on the first floor of the fast-food restaurant.
The video was taken last year. The Stray Ferret has waited to publish it until legal proceedings against all three girls had concluded.
The PCSOs both needed hospital treatment for facial injuries following the attack, which happened around 5pm on April 1 last year.
The three girls were aged 13, 14, and 15 when the attack took place. They cannot be named because of their age.
The officers had arrived on the scene to ask the girls to leave because they had breached an exclusion order preventing them from entering the building.
Two of the three girls were dealt with by police and the courts last year. One was dealt with out of court through a youth outcomes panel, while another was given a 12-month referral order and told she had narrowly avoided a custodial sentence.
The third, aged 15, was due to appear at York Magistrates’ Court at the end of January. However, when a witness failed to appear, the case against her was dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service.
A court hearing in October had heard one of the PCSOs had required many months of treatment for her injuries and was still waiting to find out if she would need an operation.
The other PCSO had since left the force, the court was told.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said:
“Already this year we have had an unacceptable number officers assaulted while carrying out their jobs. In our eyes one officer assault is one too many.
“We will never tolerate officers being subjected to this type of behaviour and we will never view it as ‘part of the job.’ When an officer puts on their uniform to start their shift, by doing so they are not passively accepting that they will be subjected to this kind of treatment.
“However, very sadly many of them fully expect that at some point, someone will attempt to harm them when they are doing their job, protecting the community.
“North Yorkshire Police takes the safety of its workforce incredibly seriously. We will ensure that cases of this nature are thoroughly investigated and we will always look to prosecute offenders under laws made to protect emergency service workers.”
Read more:
Town centre crime
It was one of a number of incidents that led Harrogate BID to begin a campaign calling for business owners and shoppers to report all anti-social behaviour and crime to North Yorkshire Police.
The BID argued people weren’t reporting minor incidents in the town centre, leading to crime statistics that failed to fully reflect what was happening on the streets – and meaning police were not focusing their efforts in the area.
Harrogate BID manager Matthew Chapman said:
“This was an appalling incident, but thankfully acts of violence like this are a rare occurrence in Harrogate town centre.
“Harrogate has a reputation for being safe and welcoming, however it’s not immune from low level crime and anti-social behaviour.
“Last year, after meeting with the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, we launched our ‘Report a Crime’ campaign, urging those who see criminal behaviour to report it online to North Yorkshire Police. And this is a message that we are keen to repeat.”
Please note that an earlier version of this article contained a video which has since been removed at the request of our regulator, Impress, to avoid any risk of identifying children under the age of 18 that had been involved in criminal proceedings and/or had not consented to being identified.
Two Rossett pupils seriously hurt in collision remain in hospital tonightTwo 15-year-old Rossett School boys remain in hospital tonight after being seriously injured in a collision that involved three vehicles.
The incident happened around 8.45am when one of the vehicles, a pick-up truck, collided with a wall and went into the grounds of Ashville College on Yew Tree Lane.
The boys were walking to school when the accident happened.
Tonight police gave details of the three vehicles involved: a black Ford Ranger, a blue Ford Fiesta and a white Vauxhall Astra. All the drivers remained at the scene and provided information to police.
No arrests have been made and the boys, who were taken to hospital by ambulance, remain there this evening and continue to be treated. Their families have been notified.
Road closures are still in place but are due to be lifted later this evening.
A nearby resident told the Stray Ferret she heard screaming and “a lot of commotion”. She said:
“I didn’t know what had happened but I was saying to my boyfriend, ‘how has this person done this?’ Then there was a lot of commotion and I said, ‘I think they must have hit someone’.”
The witness, who asked not to be named, said there were ambulances on the scene very quickly, followed by other emergency services, and she had “never seen so many emergency vehicles”.
Although she did not witness the collision, the witness said she saw the scene moments later as others rushed to help.
She added:
“The school children were down there first, trying to help and do something. Everyone got ushered and moved away when the teachers came out from the school.
“The school first aider came out and covered [the injured teenagers] in silver foil blankets until the paramedics arrived and took over.”
Tonight, police appealed for all witnesses to come forward:
“This will have been a distressing incident to witness, and we urge those who have been affected by the events to seek the necessary help if needed.
“We are appealing for anyone who witnessed the events or who has a dashcam and was travelling in the area around the time of the collision to contact us.
“This can be done by calling 101 and quoting reference number NYP-02022023-0100.”
Read more:
Book collection launched across district to support teenagers’ mental healthBooks that support the mental health of teenagers have been put in libraries across the Harrogate district.
The North Yorkshire’s library service initiative coincides with today’s World Mental Health Day.
The pandemic’s disruption to young people’s lives, alongside issues such as growing concern about global warming, has increased uncertainty about identity, position in society and future plans.
In 2020, almost half of young people said they did not feel in control of their lives and almost a third felt overwhelmed by feelings of panic and anxiety on a daily basis, according to North Yorkshire County Council.
Read more:
The new books, which are recommended by health professionals as part of the Reading Well initiative, cover topics such as body image, bereavement, social anxiety, boosting confidence, surviving online, sexuality, gender identity and mental health.
They cater for a wide range of reading levels and formats to support less confident readers and encourage engagement.
North Yorkshire County Council’s executive member for libraries, Cllr Greg White, said:
“Our libraries have embraced the Reading Well scheme for some years, already focusing on mental health, dementia and issues facing young people.
“This latest collection adds another strand to the support that young people can find at their library, again showcasing their important role in maintaining the health and wellbeing of the communities they serve.”
Every library in North Yorkshire, including Harrogate, Knaresborough, Boroughbridge and Ripon, will be displaying titles from the new collection and any title which is unavailable can be requested and borrowed free of charge.
The Reading Well collection is curated by The Reading Agency in partnership with experts from organisations and professionals including NHS England, leading mental health charities and library staff.
More information about the Reading Well collection can be found here.
Business Breakfast: Ripon BID launches training hub for teenagersBusiness Breakfast is sponsored by Harrogate law firm Truth Legal.
Ripon BID has launched a training hub with the aim of bringing students and local businesses together.
The Ripon Apprenticeship & Training Hub (RATH) will help engage 14-16 year olds into the work place to promote career development, soft skills and good work ethics.
RATH has been set up by the Ripon Business Improvement District (BID) which was established last year.
The BID said that through paid work placements and close mentoring, students will learn good working standards at the very start of their career paths and businesses will be able to access staff when needed.
Annette Duffy, BID Director and RATH lead says
“We’ve employed students for a few years now with great results. Our recruits have lots of enthusiasm and are keen to learn and I love watching them grown in confidence.
This is an exciting new hub to accelerate these opportunities for local businesses and school children. The website is live and opportunities are already online.”
Alexander Pickering, Ripon Grammar School student on a Specsavers placement adds
“I was thrilled to play a small part in a much bigger team of people at Specsavers, in helping to save someone’s sight. I never expected to learn so much and achieve something so worthwhile during my work experience.”
RATH will be attending the Summer FunFest day on August 18 at Studley Cricket Club and is encouraging students to come down, have a go at the activities and talk to the team about work and training opportunities.
Read More
Cheese auction raises money for Samaritans
Cheese lovers at the Great Yorkshire Show raised over £5,500 for the Samaritans which will go towards supporting rural communities in need.
An auction is held every year in the Cheese and Dairy Section of the Great Yorkshire Show, giving visitors the chance to bid for a round of their favourite cheese.
This year’s auction raised £5,579 which will go to The Samaritan’s Regional Rural Initiative for the benefit of rural communities.
Alison Lumley from the Samaritans of Yorkshire & Humberside Rural Initiative said:
“Thank you for such a generous donation to Samaritans of Yorkshire & Humberside Rural Initiative. The Samaritans understand that those involved in farming or living in rural communities are especially likely to experience isolation and loneliness, on top of all the pressures of work. We know that talking to someone confidentially about your feelings without fear of judgement can be a massive help.
This donation will be used to support our work raising awareness of the benefits to mental health of talking and of the availability of our 24/7, free to access emotional support service.”
The Samaritans can be contacted on the phone free on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org .