Antique safe stolen from Harrogate

Police are appealing for information about the theft of an antique safe from Harrogate.

The safe was stolen from a property on Sussex Avenue between 6.30pm and 8pm on Monday, 10 January. Its value has not been revealed.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement:

“Three people are believed to have been involved and we are appealing to anyone who either saw something suspicious in the area around the time of the burglary or who has seen it since.”

It urged anyone with information to get in touch by emailing sam.clarke2@northyorkshire.police.uk or by calling 101, selecting option 2, and asking for PC Sam Clarke

Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously to the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote reference 12230006025 when providing information.


Read more:


 

Homeless man admits theft at two Harrogate hairdressers

A homeless man has admitted committing theft at two Harrogate town centre shops on the same morning this week.

Anthony Fraser, 37, pleaded guilty to stealing products worth £380 from hair and beauty salon Hart & Hart on Commercial Street on Monday.

He also admitted taking products of an unknown value from the nearby barbers shop belonging to Nathan Cosgrove.

Fraser, who gave his address as Harrogate Homeless Project on Bower Street, appeared before magistrates in York yesterday.

He was remanded on bail until February 10, when he is due to be sentenced.


Read more:


 

Fly-tipped jalapenos could solve mystery of Harrogate couple’s missing van

A Harrogate couple who run a mobile business selling tacos hope the discovery of some tinned jalapenos by the side of a road will lead them to whoever stole their van.

Tom and Emma Peak set up Tacoporium six years ago and sell their Mexican treats at weddings, festivals and corporate events.

But the business suffered a blow when one of the two vehicles they use, a white Ford van, was stolen from the back of their house just off King’s Road on Sunday night.

Fortunately, it isn’t their main vehicle but it contained numerous items including cutlery, trays, a cooking back — and jalapenos.

Today the couple received an email from Ryedale District Council accusing them of fly-tipping a list of items that had been dumped near Malton.

Mr Peak explained to the council the van had been stolen and now hopes that knowing where the goods were deposited will help narrow down the police search of where to look for the still-missing van.

He has even seen the funny side, posting on Instagram:

“Now let’s find that van and nail these fools who don’t appreciate a good quality pickled pepper.”

He told the Stray Ferret:

“They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. They put no value on my jalapenos whereas they are the best money can buy.”

Mr Peak plans to drive to Malton this week to collect the abandoned items — and reassured customers the business would continue despite the missing van.


Read more:


 

Laptop and cash stolen from Harrogate community group while it helped others

A thief has stolen a laptop and cash from food waste community group Resurrected Bites.

The culprit took the items from the organisation’s give as you can cafe at West Park United Reformed Church in Harrogate on Wednesday while volunteers were helping people in need.

Resurrected Bites works with local businesses and suppliers to divert food from landfill and converts it into meals in its cafes in Harrogate and Knaresborough. It also operates a community groceries scheme.

Michelle Hayes, founder and director of Resurrected Bites, said:

“We are gutted and hope the person will do the right thing and return what they took.”


Read more:


Ms Hayes said no personal data had been compromised but added the incident had been a “wake-up call”:

“It was an opportunistic thief at lunchtime. We will have to be a lot more vigilant on security going forward.

“We are a naturally trusting group of people and it’s very sad that someone would steal from us.”

The Stray Ferret is running a Christmas appeal to raise money for Resurrected Bites, after it issued a plea for funding to keep its services alive.

The target was originally £5,000, which was achieved in days, and has since been raised to £20,000. The current total is £12,800. You can donate here.

resurrected Bites 2022 Christmas appeal

 

 

 

Two excavators have been stolen from a building site just off the A59 at Knaresborough.

The machines were taken last night from Swallowtail Way, which is near the Trinity Fields development and Aldi supermarket.

North Yorkshire Police today appealed for anyone with information to come forward.

The machines are both yellow — one is five tonnes and the other is nine tonnes.

A police statement said:

“We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“In particular, we are appealing for sightings of any suspicion people or vehicles in the vicinity of this location, or any sightings of the stolen excavators following the offence.”

Anyone with information can email Hazel.Simms-Williamson@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Hazel Simms.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12220185371.


Read more:


 

Harrogate man stole £24,000 watch from Rudding Park Hotel

A Harrogate man has been given a community order after stealing a £24,000 Rolex watch from Rudding Park Hotel.

Jake Perks, 32, of Jennyfield Drive, pleaded guilty to theft when he appeared before Harrogate Magistrates Court yesterday.

The court heard how Perks had visited the hotel on a spa day with his girlfriend on April 22 this year.

The named victim, who owned the Rolex GMT Master II watch, had left it in the changing rooms to go in the shower.

On his way out of the hotel sometime later, he realised he did not have his watch on and could not find it in the hotel.

The Rolex was reported stolen to police and Perks later made a full admission to taking it after noticing it in the changing rooms.


Read more:


The prosecution said he handed the watch into police after it was in his possession “for a number of weeks”.

His defence lawyer said it was “an offence committed on impulse” and that he had no previous criminal history.

“He accepts that he has taken the watch and it was out of character.”

The defence added that Perks had been going through a long divorce with his ex-wife and had personal issues.

The magistrates said they accepted that the matter was “an unfortunate lapse in judgement”.

However, the court issued Perks with a community order and ordered him to carry out 60 hours unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £95 and £85 court costs.

Police warning after spate of burglaries in Harrogate

North Yorkshire Police has warned homeowners to lock their windows at night after four burglaries in four days were reported on the east side of Harrogate.

The first burglary took place in the early hours of Thursday morning when a handbag was stolen from a property in Queen Parade.

On Thursday night, three bags were stolen from a property on Pearl Street.

Police said on Friday morning between 5am and 11am, two homes on Woodlands Grove were also targeted when thieves stole a wallet, a tobacco grinder and some cash.

A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said:

“In all incidents access has been gained through insecure windows and doors. Opportunistic thieves have gained access to properties and stolen valuable items.

“Our neighbourhood teams are patrolling in the area to deter thieves, but there are some simple steps homeowners can take to protect their property.

“Please ensure you don’t leave valuable items on display near windows and doors and if you are not in the room, or before you head to bed, run a quick check that all windows and doors are closed and locked. Similarly with your garden, any valuable toys, bikes or tools are best kept in a locked shed if possible and consider fitting a house alarm, external lights or a video doorbell or CCTV camera to deter thieves.

“Anyone who was in the area of the properties which were targeted, at the time and dates mentioned, who saw anything or has information which would assist the investigations is asked to call 101, select option 1 and pass the information to our Force Control Room.”


Read more:


 

Man jailed for stealing MBE medal in Harrogate burglary

A man has been jailed for over three years after he admitted stealing an MBE medal, jewellery and cash during a burglary at a woman’s home in Harrogate.

Shane Bainbridge, 31, broke into Patrycia Scott’s home in Wayside Avenue, Harrogate, and stole a “considerable quantity of personal items” including her MBE medal, prosecutor Brooke Morrison told York Crown Court.

Bainbridge, of King Edward Road, Ripon, was arrested nearby with a “couple of sacks containing (the victim’s) property”, she added.

He was charged with stealing jewellery, cash and the MBE medal during the burglary, which occurred on March 8.

Bainbridge denied the offence right up until the day of trial today (Monday, August 22) when he entered a last-minute guilty plea.

Judge Sean Morris, the Recorder of York, jailed Bainbridge for three years and three months.


Read more:


 

Local firm averts traffic danger at Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Show

Quick-thinking traffic management staff averted a highly dangerous situation on a main road outside Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Show this morning.

Staff at SEP Events, which is based in Boroughbridge, discovered 450 cones and 25 signs were missing when they arrived for work shortly before 6am this morning.

The items, worth thousands of pounds, are believed to have been stolen either by another firm or by thieves looking to sell them on. Several sources have confirmed the details to the Stray Ferret.

The cones and signs were taken at the Kestrel roundabout, which has been the busiest point for traffic during the show, and at the nearby junction of Wetherby Road and Rudding Lane.

SEP Events cones

An SEP van at the Kestrel roundabout.

The stretch of Wetherby Road between the two locations usually accommodates two-way traffic but a one-way system has been operating from 6am until 8pm each day of the show to improve traffic flow.

The cones and signs have played a key part in enforcing this.

But with the items missing, and 6.30am approaching, there could have been chaos with traffic heading towards the show from the Kestrel roundabout in both lanes meeting head-on vehicles travelling in the other direction that should have been diverted off Wetherby Road.

SEP Events at Great Yorkshire Show

SEP employees had to stand in the road in high visibility jackets and use their vehicles to direct traffic while colleagues went back to Boroughbridge to get replacement cones and signs.

Shortly after 7am traffic measures were back in place and no accidents had occurred.

Traffic cones cost several pounds each and weigh about 6kg so whoever was responsible is believed to have had a trailer with a high load-bearing capacity.

North Yorkshire Police has issued an appeal for information. It said in a statement:

“The cones and signage were installed as part of traffic management for the Great Yorkshire Show and the theft led to significant disruption for motorists and showgoers.

“It is believed the items were taken between 9pm on Tuesday 12 July and 4am on Wednesday 13 July so police are appealing for anyone who might have seen anything which could help the investigation.”

The Stray Ferret has contacted SEP Events about the incident.

 

 

 

Ripon man jailed for stealing two bikes in Harrogate

A Ripon man has been jailed for 26 weeks for stealing two bikes in Harrogate.

Dwain Carl Layton, 31, of King Edward Road, appeared before York Magistrates Court on Tuesday charged with stealing the bikes from a garage on Kingsley Road on June 28.

The bikes were estimated to be worth £1,000.

Layton pleaded guilty to the charge and was jailed.

The magistrates said the sentence was handed down after Layton had failed to comply with requirements of post custodial sentence supervision.


Read more


It added that the offence was aggravated by “the defendant’s record of previous offending”.

Layton was also ordered to pay compensation of £100 and a victim surcharge of £154.