Men jailed for £143,000 burglaries at new housing sites in Harrogate district

Two men have been jailed for their part in stealing newly-installed boilers and other equipment worth £143,000 from housing developments in the Harrogate district.

Shaun Andrew Finley, 34, of Goldthorpe, Barnsley, and Stephen William Case, 43, of Dunscroft, Doncaster, targeted boilers, furniture and other equipment belonging to building companies and contractors.

They struck at homes in Harrogate, Knaresborough, Killinghall, Kirk Hammerton and Dishforth.

Finley was jailed for five years and Case for four years and two months when they were sentenced at York Crown Court on Friday.

The court heard that between June 1 and December 15 in 2020 they targeted prestigious new build developments 22 times.

According to a North Yorkshire Police press release today, officers identified a pattern in the burglaries which involved the same method of breaking into the properties and removing the items.

The press release added:

“They specifically targeted houses that were ready for occupation. This caused considerable disruption and upset to the homebuyers and added cost and inconvenience to the developers.

“Through detailed analysis of CCTV and automatic number plater recognition data, the investigation team were able to place the vans and cars they were using – often driving in convoy – in and around the new build locations that they burgled.

“They also uncovered that Finley and Case were actively avoiding detection by registering, and insuring, their vehicles in the names of innocent members of the public. They also used cloned registration plates. This resulted in the arrest of two men who had nothing to do with the crimes, as well as numerous speeding tickets.”


Read more:


At the sentencing, Judge Sean Morris commended the work of detective sergeant Steve Peachman, the now retired detective sergeant Marcus Dawson, and analyst Libby Edison for the effective investigation which secured the convictions.

The Judge said they were “a credit to North Yorkshire Police and the people of North Yorkshire”.

DS Steve Peachman, from the force’s operation expedite unit, said:

“The outcome of our investigation shows that if you choose to embark on conspiracies with organised crime groups, you can expect lengthy custodial sentences.

“We proved that Finley and Case were principal participants in committing crime in North Yorkshire.

“They used a high degree of sophistication, but it was not enough to escape justice.”

 

Police seek man after electric bike stolen from Harrogate Aldi

Police have issued a CCTV image of a man they want to speak to after an electric bike was stolen outside a Harrogate supermarket.

The incident happened at Aldi on Old Beck Road at about 3.10pm on Saturday, April 15.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today:

“The bike had been left secure outside the store. A man entered B&Q next door, then rode the bike away.

“Officers are asking members of the public to get in touch if they recognise a man pictured on CCTV, as they believe he will have information that will help the investigation.”

electric bike theft

A full length image of the wanted man.

Anyone with any information is asked to email joanne.fawectt@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for PC 371 Joanne Fawcett.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote reference number 12230066912 when passing on information.


Read more:


 

Knaresborough man jailed for ‘flagrant disregard for court orders’

A Knaresborough man has been jailed for 12 weeks after admitting theft.

Frankie Gilmour, 33, of Nora Avenue, pleaded guilty to stealing a bag worth £99.99 from TK Maxx in Harrogate when he appeared at Harrogate Magistrates Court on Thursday.

The offence, on February 20, came while Gilmour was serving a suspended eight-week jail sentence issued two weeks earlier.

Magistrates imposed a four-week jail sentence as well as the eight weeks he was sentenced to previously.

Court documents said he was jailed because of his “flagrant disregard for court orders” and “because the offence was aggravated by the defendant’s record of previous offending”.

He was also fined £154.


Read more:


 

Two men arrested on suspicion of conspiring to steal vehicles in Harrogate

Police have arrested two men on suspicion of conspiring to steal vehicles in Harrogate.

Officers acting on intelligence stopped a grey Seat Leon on Leeds Road near Pannal on Friday (February 24) at about 8pm after observing the men behaving suspiciously, North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today.

The statement said the suspects, both in their 30s, were getting out of the car and approaching other vehicles in Harrogate.

It added:

“Both occupants and the car itself were searched by officers, and a number of tools including pliers and screwdrivers were located. 

“As a result, both men – aged in their 30s and from Leeds – were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to steal motor vehicles.”

Both men have been released on bail pending police enquiries.


Read more:


 

Police seek man after designer scarf stolen in Harrogate

Police have released a CCTV image of a man they would like to speak to after a scarf was stolen from a Harrogate restaurant.

It happened on Cold Bath Road at 6.50pm on Wednesday February 14 — Valentine’s Day.

A North Yorkshire Police statement today said:

“CCTV captured a couple in the restaurant finding a scarf under their table. A man picks up the scarf, folds it and places it in his pocket.

“The scarf was an Alexander McQueen scarf in pink, red and gold, with flowers on it.

“Officers want to speak to a man pictured on CCTV in the restaurant, as he may have important information that could assist the investigation.”

Anyone with information can email paul.southgate@northyorkshire.police.uk. You can also call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for PC1471 Southgate.

If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12230028534.


Read more:


 

Man jailed for 12 months after theft from Harrogate shop

A man has been jailed for a year after being found guilty of theft from a shop in Harrogate town centre.

Jason Mark Johnson, 24, of no fixed address, was charged with trespassing at VPZ vape shop on Beulah Street and stealing property worth £685 on November 11 last year.

He denied the charge but was found guilty at Harrogate Magistrates Court last week and sentenced to 12 months in prison.

Court documents said Johnson was given a custodial sentence because of the seriousness of the crime and also because the offence was aggravated by his previous record of offending.

He was also ordered to pay £685 compensation.


Read more:


 

Antique safe stolen from Harrogate

Police are appealing for information about the theft of an antique safe from Harrogate.

The safe was stolen from a property on Sussex Avenue between 6.30pm and 8pm on Monday, 10 January. Its value has not been revealed.

North Yorkshire Police said in a statement:

“Three people are believed to have been involved and we are appealing to anyone who either saw something suspicious in the area around the time of the burglary or who has seen it since.”

It urged anyone with information to get in touch by emailing sam.clarke2@northyorkshire.police.uk or by calling 101, selecting option 2, and asking for PC Sam Clarke

Alternatively, information can be passed anonymously to the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Quote reference 12230006025 when providing information.


Read more:


 

Homeless man admits theft at two Harrogate hairdressers

A homeless man has admitted committing theft at two Harrogate town centre shops on the same morning this week.

Anthony Fraser, 37, pleaded guilty to stealing products worth £380 from hair and beauty salon Hart & Hart on Commercial Street on Monday.

He also admitted taking products of an unknown value from the nearby barbers shop belonging to Nathan Cosgrove.

Fraser, who gave his address as Harrogate Homeless Project on Bower Street, appeared before magistrates in York yesterday.

He was remanded on bail until February 10, when he is due to be sentenced.


Read more:


 

Fly-tipped jalapenos could solve mystery of Harrogate couple’s missing van

A Harrogate couple who run a mobile business selling tacos hope the discovery of some tinned jalapenos by the side of a road will lead them to whoever stole their van.

Tom and Emma Peak set up Tacoporium six years ago and sell their Mexican treats at weddings, festivals and corporate events.

But the business suffered a blow when one of the two vehicles they use, a white Ford van, was stolen from the back of their house just off King’s Road on Sunday night.

Fortunately, it isn’t their main vehicle but it contained numerous items including cutlery, trays, a cooking back — and jalapenos.

Today the couple received an email from Ryedale District Council accusing them of fly-tipping a list of items that had been dumped near Malton.

Mr Peak explained to the council the van had been stolen and now hopes that knowing where the goods were deposited will help narrow down the police search of where to look for the still-missing van.

He has even seen the funny side, posting on Instagram:

“Now let’s find that van and nail these fools who don’t appreciate a good quality pickled pepper.”

He told the Stray Ferret:

“They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. They put no value on my jalapenos whereas they are the best money can buy.”

Mr Peak plans to drive to Malton this week to collect the abandoned items — and reassured customers the business would continue despite the missing van.


Read more:


 

Laptop and cash stolen from Harrogate community group while it helped others

A thief has stolen a laptop and cash from food waste community group Resurrected Bites.

The culprit took the items from the organisation’s give as you can cafe at West Park United Reformed Church in Harrogate on Wednesday while volunteers were helping people in need.

Resurrected Bites works with local businesses and suppliers to divert food from landfill and converts it into meals in its cafes in Harrogate and Knaresborough. It also operates a community groceries scheme.

Michelle Hayes, founder and director of Resurrected Bites, said:

“We are gutted and hope the person will do the right thing and return what they took.”


Read more:


Ms Hayes said no personal data had been compromised but added the incident had been a “wake-up call”:

“It was an opportunistic thief at lunchtime. We will have to be a lot more vigilant on security going forward.

“We are a naturally trusting group of people and it’s very sad that someone would steal from us.”

The Stray Ferret is running a Christmas appeal to raise money for Resurrected Bites, after it issued a plea for funding to keep its services alive.

The target was originally £5,000, which was achieved in days, and has since been raised to £20,000. The current total is £12,800. You can donate here.

resurrected Bites 2022 Christmas appeal