Fundraising for 15-year-old Liza Bartienieva, who was orphaned following a tragic accident that claimed the lives of her mother, brother and half sister, received a £4,000 boost at Ripon’s Black Swan over the weekend.
Regulars of the Westgate pub and members of the wider community dug deep to support the teenager, whose father also died earlier this year.
But there was disappointment when it was discovered that an anonymous donation of £10,000 to the GoFundMe page set up for her will not be added to the fund.
Donna Chilcott who set up the page, which has received more than 1,300 donations, told the Stray Ferret:
“I have been contacted by GoFundMe and told that the person who donated the £10,000 has retracted their donation.
“This is disappointing, but we have still raised more than £31,000, which is an incredible amount in less than a week and when you consider that the initial target set was £3,000.”

Saturday’s fundraiser at the Black Swan raised £4,000.
She added:
“Working alongside Sara and Kelly Hirst who run the Black Swan, we achieved this through the generosity of the Ripon community, businesses and regular pub customers and we cannot thank them enough for their kindness.”

Freddie Cleary
The money raised at the pub’s fundraiser will be added to the GoFundMe page which stood at £27,331 this morning.
Kelly Hirst, added:
“The situation that Liza faces has captured the hearts of the people of Ripon and everyone that we approached wanted to help by either donating prizes for the raffle that we held or by putting money in the donations bucket that we had on the bar.”
Live music was part of Saturday’s event and among the performers was Ripon singer-songwriter Freddie Cleary, who donated more than £600 to the GoFundMe page raised while busking in the city.
Liza has been looked after by a Ripon family since the accident occurred on Sunday September 3.
Read more:
- Ripon School heartbroken by death of six-year-old pupil
- Police name victims of fatal A61 crash near Ripon
- Candles to be lit in Ripon for children and mother killed in crash
Ripon busks in bright Bank Holiday sunshine
Musicians busked in the bright Bank Holiday sunshine in Ripon as performers in many different musical genres attracted extra footfall to the city’s streets.
The Ripon Indie event, organised by independent traders and featuring a host of highly-talented local and regional artists, was supported by Ripon Business Improvement District.

There was a large gathering on Kirkgate, where performers included the rock band Time Machine (main picture) and singer-songwriter Alannah Creed, pictured below.

The day also featured a Little Bird Artisan Market in the city centre which, alongside the musical entertainment and a team of Bollywood-style dancers, brought hundreds of people in to Ripon.

Buskers were strategically placed in Market Square, Westgate, North Street and The Arcade and their music acted as a magnet to those wishing to follow the busking trail.

Popular Ripon performers Lily Worth (above) and Freddie Cleary (below) were among the entertainers who showed the depth of young musical talent that the city boasts.

Yesterday’s event proved a natural follow-on from the successful street party held on Kirkgate on Easter Monday, which ran under the umbrella of the independents’ Totally Locally Campaign backed by Ripon BID.
Read more:
- Ripon beekeepers urge the public to report swarming bees
- Ripon businesses prepare to host theatre festival events
Ripon’s retro gaming arcade to close in July
New Wave Arcade in Ripon will close for good in July.
The venue on Westgate offers the chance to play games from the glory days of arcade gaming, including Street Fighter 2, Ridge Racer and Gunblade.
It was something a bit different for families in Ripon, as the Stray Ferret found out when we visited in March.
However, owner Rory Lofthouse said he has decided to close the business to concentrate on his wife’s health and his digital marketing company.
Mr Lofthouse said:
“It’s been well received in Ripon so it’s a shame I’m having to close it.
“I didn’t do it to make thousands of pounds, it was so there is something in Ripon for different generations to enjoy together. A lot of dads bring their kids to show them what they played when they younger.”
New Wave Arcade opened just a few weeks before the first covid lockdown and has had a stop-start existence.
Mr Lofthouse said things could have been different with the business if the pandemic didn’t happen when it did.
Read more:
- Ripon City Council proudly presents the biggest free Platinum Jubilee celebration in the north
- Generations play together at Ripon’s retro games arcade
Gamers who enjoyed visiting paid tributes on Facebook:
“Such a shame, the arcade was a great asset to Ripon.”
Another person said:
“We will definitely make sure we come down again before you close your doors. You’ll be sadly missed.”
New Wave Arcade’s last day will be on Saturday, July 23.
Mr Lofthouse is also selling off some of his machines. If you’re interested you can contact him rory@newwavearcade.co.uk
Ripon home devastated by early morning fireAn overnight fire has devastated a home in Ripon.
Crews from Ripon, Harrogate and Boroughbridge were summoned to deal with the blaze, which occurred in Westgate at about 1.45am this morning.
Smoking has been identified as a possible cause.
The fire broke out in a first floor bedroom.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service‘s incident summary said:
“The fire caused 100% fire damage to the bed and 60% fire damage to the bedroom, 100% smoke damage to the first floor and light smoke damage to ground floor.
“Crews used four breathing appartaus, one hose reel, small tools and positive pressure ventilation.
“The cause is unknown but may have been caused by smoking materials.”
Harrogate firefighters were also called to a fire in a children’s play park on Jenny Field Drive.
A bucket of water used to extinguish the fire, which occurred at about 6.15pm last night.
Read more:
Parking restrictions imposed in town centres as authorities aim to discourage crowds
Parking restrictions have been introduced across the Harrogate district, with signs suggesting they could be applied for more than four months.
James Street, Commercial Street and parts of Albert Street in Harrogate town centre have been roped off, along with parking bays on Knaresborough High Street. Pateley Bridge’s High Street and Ripon’s High Skellgate and Westgate have been reduced in width to a single lane.
North Yorkshire County Council’s signs say the restrictions are designed to enable social distancing and are in place until the end of September. However, the authority confirmed on Twitter the parking bays will be closed this weekend, with monitoring in place to determine how effective the measures are.
While shops, cafes, bars and restaurants are not currently allowed to open, the government has said the restrictions could be eased in the coming weeks. NYCC has not confirmed whether the weekend’s restrictions will be extended, though the signs suggest they could be in place until the end of September.
Richard Flinton, chief executive of NYCC, said in a message to residents:
“We are doing our best to limit crowds in those places where lack of space is particularly concerning such as Whitby, Filey, Scarborough and Harrogate.
“We are closing a number of streets, shutting certain car parks and suspending parking in a number of areas. We will also have highways crews looking out for any issues of concern over the weekend and ready to take the action open to us, to respond.”
If restrictions on town centre parking remain in place after shops are allowed to re-open, they are likely to cause concern for businesses already affected by declining footfall before lockdown began. Independent Harrogate, which represents small businesses in the town, has been campaigning for free parking to encourage more shoppers to visit and bolster the local economy.
Environmental campaigners argue the quiet roads and increase in cycling and walking over recent weeks should be part of the Harrogate district’s plans for the future. Zero Carbon Harrogate has said now is the ideal time to improve infrastructure for low-carbon transport and encourage people to choose options other than cars.
Visitor attractions
Fears had been raised that, over the first weekend since changes to lockdown advice from the government, crowds could descend on town centres and attractions, making it very difficult for people to keep their distance.
Harrogate’s Valley Gardens today appeared much busier than it has been over recent weeks, with no parking restrictions nearby. Organisations including Yorkshire Water and the Yorkshire Dales National Park issued advice against travelling to potentially busy places.
Mr Flinton added:
“We hope this is reassuring, but you all have a part to play in this, too. Of course, enjoy the outdoors; there is no finer place than our county in my, perhaps biased, view.
“But, please, access open countryside rather than paths, narrow lanes or town and village centres. If you can do so close to your home all the better, and be prepared to change your mind if where you are heading looks busy. Protect yourselves and your family by avoiding crowds and encourage anyone you know who is thinking of coming – to wait until we can offer them a real North Yorkshire welcome in the future.”
What are your experiences of the new restrictions and social distancing across the Harrogate district this weekend? Email us with your views.

