Police boss ‘confident’ officers have a grip on crime in Ripon

North Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Philip Allott has expressed confidence that officers have a grip on crime in Ripon after another spate of incidents.

Mr Allott said he hoped an increased police presence in the city would send a message that “crime will not be tolerated”.

He also urged more residents to “break silence” and report anything suspicious.

In recent weeks there has been a spate of crime, including a teenager being robbed at knifepoint, with a 17-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man later being charged.

Speaking to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, Mr Allott said:

“I want to reassure the community in Ripon that police are on top of this.

“Officers know who the perpetrators are, they have made arrests, they have got a grip on the situation, and I am confident of that.

“One of the problems we have in Ripon is sometimes a wall of silence by certain families and that makes it quite difficult to apprehend people.

“The police will still get those people. It just takes a bit longer.”


Read more:


Other incidents in recent weeks include a 16-year-old boy being chased by a group believed to be around the same age. This is believed to have happened in the Southgate area in the early hours of August 18.

The night after, two men were arrested in connection with an incident on Bondgate and a 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of affray after a separate incident on Mawson Lane.

Step-up patrols

It has prompted police to step up patrols once again. This was done earlier in the year after city councillors held a meeting with former Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Julia Mulligan.

Mr Allot, who replaced Ms Mulligan in May, said he hoped to meet with councillors in the coming weeks to offer more reassurances and also discuss other plans to tackle crime and help repeat offenders.

He said:

“Police are being extremely effective… but there are some fundamental issues which have to be addressed here.

“We try wherever possible to avoid putting young people through the courts system because we know that tends to lead to a downward spiral.

“But in some cases, this is not always possible because of the seriousness of what is involved.

“Policing can put a sticky plaster on the problem, but unfortunately history tells me in Ripon that every so often a small number of members of the community spill out and cause trouble.

“Our aim is to stop that happening and break this repeated offending.”

Two charged over Ripon knifepoint robbery

Two people have been charged after a teenage boy was robbed at knifepoint in Ripon last week.

A 17-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man have been charged with robbery and possessing an offensive weapon and appeared at Harrogate Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

They have been remanded in custody to appear again on September 17.

Three other men who were also arrested in connection with the incident remain on police bail whilst enquiries continue.


Read More: 


There has been a spate of anti-social behaviour incidents in Ripon over the past week and police have urged the public to contact them with information on 101.

Inspector Alex Langley, North Yorkshire Police, said: 

“Violence and anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated in Ripon and we are doing all we can to bring those responsible for the events over the past week to justice.

“We have stepped up patrols in the area but we also need your help. We would like to hear from anyone who has CCTV covering Bondgate, Southgate, Mawson Lane and surrounding areas – this could be from a traditional CCTV camera, a video doorbell or dash-cam footage.”

Police warn public about convicted burglar that targets North Yorkshire schools

North Yorkshire Police have warned the public about a convicted burglar who has been released from prison today and targets schools and sports changing rooms.

Andrew Philip Horsman, 39, from York, served time for multiple burglaries where he stole laptops as well as bank cards and cash.

In 2020, York Crown Court issued Mr Horsman with a Criminal Behaviour Order that states he must not enter any school building or sports facility across North Yorkshire until August 2025.

He is also not allowed to be in a possession of a bank card that is not in his name.

The police say call 999 if you suspected a crime is in progress.

A map of where Mr Horsman’s Criminal Behaviour Order applies.


Read More: 


 

Swift action led to Harrogate shop thieves being caught this afternoon

Harrogate police were able to respond swiftly to a shop theft this afternoon after an officer walked into the shop soon after it happened.

The Harrogate police officer happened to be heading into the M&S BP garage in Pannal this afternoon for a coffee when the shop worker told him three men had just driven away with stolen food and drink.

Officers were able to quickly apprehend the three men in a van on Park House Green.

The three men were dealt with using the community resolution disposal procedure which is used for low-level crime such as minor theft and criminal damage.

A release by North Yorkshire Police explained the method:

“By encouraging suspects to face up to the impact of their behaviour and to take responsibility for making good any harm caused, a Community Resolution can reduce the likelihood of their reoffending. There must be an acceptance of responsibility on behalf of the suspect to undertake a Community Resolution response.”

The suspect’s van was also seized for being un-taxed.

The three men will now have to pay for the items stolen, which added up to around £30.


Read more:


 

Ripon police and fire station gets £1.2m upgrade

Philip Allott, the North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, has announced a £1,162,000 upgrade for the building shared by Ripon’s police and fire officers since 2018.

The spending will improve facilities deemed ‘no longer fit for purpose’ at the Stonebridgegate site.

Following a fact-finding visit to the city in June, Mr Allott (pictured below) said he would give police officers the resources they needed to tackle crime.

A statement, which has now been issued by his office, said plans for refurbishment had stalled due to ‘site complications’.

It added:

“This has now come to a head and the current accommodation is no longer fit for purpose for either service.”

Under the county’s previous crime commissioner, Julia Mulligan, the city’s former police station on North Street was sold to a private developer.

In 2014, a conditional agreement for the disposal was signed and North Yorkshire Police pledged to provide new ‘fit for purpose’ premises within 18 months.

But this did not materialise and in February 2018 the Ripon policing team moved to the fire station.

This subsequently raised concerns among city councillors and members of the public about the ability of the police, with its limited resources and cramped accommodation, to handle a spike in anti-social behaviour, vandalism and other crime.

The statement issued by Mr Allott’s office added:

“An options assessment has been conducted to develop a suitable solution in conjunction with key stakeholders across the two services.

“A modular build on the current site to provide accommodation, with continued use of the appliance bays and tower, has been determined as the most suitable option which delivers a good medium-term solution in a reasonable timescale, and which provides the best value for money to the public purse.”


Read more: 


 

 

 

 

 

Ripon man jailed for grooming and sexual abuse of 15-year-old girl

A 68-year-old man has been jailed for over six years for historic child abuse in Harrogate.

Malcolm Peter Barwick, who now lives in Ripon, was sentenced to six and a half years in jail today after pleading guilty to seven counts of sexual activity with a child.

The abuse occurred at Woodfield Drive in Harrogate where the victim was sexually abused by Barwick between April 2014 and April 2015.

The victim, now in her early 20’s, reported the abuse to North Yorkshire Police in June last year. An investigation was then launched by Harrogate CID.

Barwick appeared at York Crown Court today. As well as the jail sentence he is subject to an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and he will remain on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.

Detective Constable Matthew Reeve said:

“The effect this case has had on the victim has caused a lifetime of trauma and has deeply affected her.

“She showed true bravery in reporting the matter to the police and seeing the case through. I really hope this outcome will give her the strength to move on from this horrendous experience.”

“Barwick is a predator who targets vulnerable youths and grooms them for his own sexual gratification. Dangerous and manipulative offenders like him deserve to be behind bars.”


Read more:


To seek advice and further support, or report child abuse, you can contact one of these organisations:

Police arrest two men after damage to properties in Bilton

North Yorkshire Police arrested two men in Bilton last night following reports of damage to properties.

Officers were responding to reports from the Woodfield Road area of the Harrogate suburb last night.

The force’s Dutch Herder police dog, PD Bobby, was brought in to find the suspects.

The two men are currently in custody.

If you were involved in any of these incidents and have not yet reported this to the police, please call 101.


Read More:


 

Crime commissioner pledges extra police for Harrogate’s Mayfield Grove

The North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner has pledged to push for increased policing in the Mayfield Grove area of Harrogate.

Philip Allott visited the area yesterday to hear concerns about crime and anti-social behaviour on Mayfield Grove and nearby streets, such as Mayfield Terrace and Nydd Vale Terrace.

He was invited by Paul Ivison, who has set up a residents group for people worried about drug dealing, car crime, speeding and anti-social behaviour, particularly in some houses in multiple occupation let by landlords, .

Mr Allott said:

“I will ask the police to step up neighbourhood policing in this area. I will ask them to target the drug dealers and make it hard for the supply chain to operate.”


Read more:


He also urged Harrogate Borough Council to take a tougher line against landlords that didn’t do enough to prevent crime and anti-social behaviour on their premises.

“The council possibly needs to be a little more active and realise this is a serious issue. I don’t think the district council has quite latched on to that.

“I will be asking Harrogate Borough Council to be more proactive and serve further closure notices against landlords where relevant.”

North Yorkshire Police and Harrogate Borough Council issued a three-month closure order on 38 Mayfield Grove in March. The two organisations can apply to a court for a closure order if they have concerns about antisocial behaviour and criminal behaviour on premises.

‘Abused by beggars’

Mr Ivison told the commissioner many town centre street beggars stayed in bedsits in the area and said the police should issue more Public Spaces Protection Orders to prevent begging in town, as many of those doing it weren’t genuine rough sleepers, were taking advantage of people and making a mess.

Mr Allott agreed the “town centre was being abused by beggars” who took advantage of “kindly, well disposed people who think they are helping”, adding:

“It’s patently clear a lot of these characters in the town centre are not what they present themselves to be.

“But I do recognise that there are a minority of people who through no fault of their own find themselves in a destitute position.”

Mr Allott said he supported the use of Public Spaces Protection Orders “where it is proportionate and necessary but not as a blanket measure”.

Vandals may force Harrogate shop to remove iconic bears

A Harrogate children’s clothing shop may be forced to remove its iconic bears after they became the target of vandals.

Milk and Honey of Harrogate, on Cheltenham Parade, has displayed the bears outside for five years but in the last couple of months they have suffered a lot of damage.

Sarah Elizabeth Wood, the shop manager, takes in the smaller bears overnight and locks the largest bear with a chain locked but even this is not enough to deter troublemakers.

Following the latest attack, which happened just after 3am on Sunday morning, Mrs Wood is considering whether the bears should remain.

CCTV footage from the night showed three people, believed to be teenage boys, attack the bear with a stick before pulling it to the floor and jumping on it.


Read more:


Mrs Wood told the Stray Ferret:

“I do think the red carpet and the bears help us get customers because it makes us stand out.

“Everyone who walks past at least comments on the bears or takes a photo with them. So it would just be really sad if we have to take them away.

“I don’t think the bears can take anymore. One more weekend of them being ravaged like that and they will have to go.”

Mrs Wood has tried to repair the broken feet and ears of the bears but she fears that if they are damaged again they may become unstable and fall on people.

She put out a post on Facebook yesterday evening warning that the bears days may be numbered.

The post has had hundreds of reactions, with many people sharing stories of their time with the bears.

Police appeal after bike stolen outside Harrogate’s Caffe Nero

North Yorkshire Police has issued a plea for information after a bike was stolen outside Caffe Nero on Beulah Street, Harrogate.

The black Carrera road bike was left propped up outside the coffee shop at about 2.30pm on Thursday when it was taken by a man, described by police as a slim white male aged between 35 and 40.

He was wearing dark shorts, a grey t-shirt and a baseball cap.

The bike has red trim and thin tyres.

A police statement said:

“We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“In particular, we are appealing for information about and witnesses to the incident or if anyone has seen the bike in question.

Anyone will information can call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option two and ask for Jacob Higgins. The officer can also be contacted via jacob.higgins@northyorkshirepolice.uk.

To remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The crime reference number is 12210165521.


Read more: