Philip Allott, the Conservative North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, reiterated today that he does not intend to resign.
Mr Allott was interviewed on BBC Look North this lunchtime in what was his first public appearance since his controversial comments about the Sarah Everard murder last Friday.
Back then, he said women “need to be streetwise” and that Ms Everard “never should have submitted” to arrest.
Since then more than 9,000 people have signed a petition calling him to go.
Mr Allott told the BBC today:
“I’m deeply sorry for the comments I made. They’re not the kind of language I would usually use. I’m just so horrified how my comments have been seen.”
When asked if he would resign, Mr Allott said he had “reflected” on his position and intended to stay.
He added:
“Because it’s more important that I carry through the mandate I was elected to do.
“83,000 people voted for me in North Yorkshire and York. That’s more than any Member of Parliament.”
Watch the interview below:
A North Yorkshire police boss who claimed women "need to be streetwise" after the Sarah Everard case has said he will not resign.
Philip Allott added he was "deeply sorry" for the comments he made.
Read more here: https://t.co/OgtNI9hr2Q pic.twitter.com/1K9c2SuBkQ
— BBC Yorkshire (@BBCLookNorth) October 8, 2021
Read more:
- Philip Allott: ‘I have much to learn’ but no resignation
- Harrogate protesters tell Philip Allott to go over Sarah Everard comments
Local fallout
Knaresborough resident Mr Allott has faced widespread criticism in the Harrogate district over the past week, including a protest at the war memorial in Harrogate last Saturday.
Harrogate LGBTQ+ non-profit organisation Pride in Diversity and business group Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce both withdrew invitations for him to speak at events.
The Harrogate & District Law Society also released a statement that said trust in Mr Allott had been “irretrievably lost” and he should resign.
Harrogate Borough Council Liberal Democrat leader Pat Marsh said Mr Allott “should do the honourable thing and resign” and Conservative council leader Richard Cooper said his comments were “very wrong”.
North Yorkshire police, fire and crime panel, which holds the commissioner to account, is due to meet on Thursday next week and Mr Allott’s comments will be on the agenda.
The meeting will begin at 10.30am and will be available to watch online via North Yorkshire County Council’s website.
Car stolen from Harrogate home in Hanoi-style burglary
Police have appealed for witnesses and CCTV footage after a car was stolen from a house in Harrogate in a Hanoi-style burglary.
A blue Audi A3 with the registration HV67 CPF was taken from a property on West Cliffe Terrace between 2am and 3am on October 2.
North Yorkshire Police has also said it is keen to trace a man who was in the area at the time of the theft. It is unclear if the force is treating him as a suspect or a witness.
The man who police want to speak to was described as wearing a grey hoodie and black jogging bottoms with short fair hair and a slim build.
Read more:
- 18 charged with county lines drug dealing in Harrogate
- Harrogate coach owner Keith Murgatroyd, 80, ‘punched’ in fuel row
A spokesperson for the police said:
“We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
“In particular, we are requesting that people check their ring door bells or any CCTV within the surrounding streets to West Cliffe Terrace, during the hour we believe this occurred.”
Anyone with information can contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option two and ask for PC Smith 143.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Harrogate business group uninvites Philip Allott from meetingHarrogate District Chamber of Commerce has withdrawn an invitation to Philip Allott to speak at its November meeting.
The group invites prominent figures from local government, charity and business to address members on topics related to Harrogate at its monthly meetings.
Mr Allott, the Conservative North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner, was due to speak about his role, current policing and his priorities for the future.
However, the commissioner has received heavy criticism following comments on BBC Radio York on Friday about the kidnap, rape and murder of Sarah Everard by serving Met Police officer Wayne Couzens.
In the interview, Mr Allott said women “need to be streetwise” and that Ms Everard “never should have submitted” to arrest.
David Simister, chief executive of the chamber, said the group had withdrawn its offer to Mr Allott.
Read more:
- Philip Allott: ‘I have much to learn’ but no resignation
- Harrogate protesters tell Philip Allott to go over Sarah Everard comments
Mr Simister said:
“We had initially invited North Yorkshire’s Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner to speak at this meeting, but this offer was withdrawn on Monday morning.
“Instead, we have invited the team behind delivering the £10.9m Harrogate Station Gateway project to present the next stage of the consultation process, which includes revised plans and detailed drawings.
“Due to the importance of this subject, we will be making this an open meeting to all town centre businesses, as we want them to fully appreciate the implications the scheme will have on them and their customers.
“During the open networking session, taking place between 5.30pm and 6.15pm, attendees will have an opportunity to examine the plans, give feedback, and submit questions to be put to the delivery team at the meeting following their presentation.”
Labour leader Keir Starmer, Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland, London mayor Sadiq Khan and TV personality Piers Morgan have been among those condemning Mr Allott’s comments and calling for his resignation. More than 8,000 people have signed a petition calling on him to step down.
The Stray Ferret emailed Mr Allott’s office for a response. His office sent a link to an apology he made over the weekend, which said.
Police cordon lifted after hand grenade discovered in Harrogate“I would like to reiterate my heartfelt apology for my comments on BBC Radio York on Friday October 1, which I realise were both misconceived and insensitive and have caused upset and distress. I have withdrawn the remarks.”
A Harrogate street has returned to normality after bomb squad officers dealt with a hand grenade in a garden.
Police cordoned off three streets in Bilton after the discovery on Gordon Avenue, just off Bilton Lane, late this morning.
A bomb disposal unit from the Ministry of Defence rushed to the street, which is between Richard Taylor Church of England Primary School and Bilton Cricket Club.
The team departed at about 1.40pm and the police cordon was lifted and people allowed to return to their homes.
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said:
“An explosive device was found by a member of the public in their garden at a property on Gordon Avenue today.
“Police evacuated a small number of houses whilst the MOD made an assessment on the device.
“The MOD recovered the device and the cordon is now lifted.”
Read more:
- Police cordon off Harrogate streets after ‘bomb discovery’
- Overnight road closures on A1(M) near Harrogate
A resident on Gordon Avenue told the Stray Ferret about the “mad moment” police knocked on their door.
The resident, who requested anonymity, was evacuated at around 12.30pm, said:
“This is obviously not something that happens everyday, it is quite mad really. Definitely rare for Harrogate.
“We saw that the police were on the street. The next minute the officers were knocking on my door.
“They said that they had called in the bomb squad because the neighbour had found a bomb.
“Not everyone was evacuated, just the residents who live quite close by. Police were quick to get people away.”
Police: no rise in far right activity in Harrogate districtNorth Yorkshire Police has said there is nothing to suggest an increase in far right activity in the Harrogate district despite several shocking incidents this year.
The Stray Ferret has reported three instances of swastikas and anti-semitic slogans appearing in Harrogate and Knaresborough in 2021, including one last weekend.
In addition, racist stickers appeared on the window of a disused shop on James Street in September.
A Freedom of Information request to the police revealed it had logged just five incidents of anti-Jewish hate crime in total in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
So far this year swastikas have appeared on Trefoil Drive and Bilton Lane in January, on the iron bridge in Bilton in August and on Knaresborough castle last weekend.
A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said:
“These incidents are clearly abhorrent and disturbing. We can assure the local community that the police take such matters extremely seriously.
“It is unclear what the motivation was behind the recent incidents in Knaresborough, and it is not yet known if they are linked or have any connection with the previous incidents of this nature at Harrogate.
“However, there is nothing to suggest an increase in extreme right-wing ideologies or activity in the local area.”
Read more:
- Only 17% of Harrogate hate crime reports lead to charges
- Bilton residents voice frustration over crime at public meeting
The constabulary urged residents to report hate-related incidents, such as graffiti and criminal damage, by dialling 101.
The Stray Ferret approached the Harrogate Hebrew congregation to ask if it had noticed any increase in ant-semitic activity but it declined to comment.
The swastikas and a vile anti-semitic message sprayed on Knaresborough castle last weekend have now been removed.
Police said a 49-year-old man was arrested in connection with the attacks in January and remains under investigation.
Woman sexually assaulted at Harrogate train stationPolice have released an image of a man they want to speak to following a sexual assault at Harrogate Station.
A woman waiting for a train was approached by a man who tried to strike up a conversation with her shortly after 7pm on Saturday August 7.
The woman turned away but the man continued to speak before sexually assaulting her.
British Transport Police said in a statement today:
“Officers believe the man in the image may have information which could help their investigation.”
If you recognise him, or have any information, you can contact British Transport Police by texting 61016 or calling 0800 40 50 40, quoting reference number 567 of 07/08/21.
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555 111.
Read more:
- Ripon man jailed for persistently breaching animal welfare order
- Harrogate town centre offices to be converted into apartments
Police say wanted sex offender who is ‘danger to women’ could be in Harrogate
Police are searching for a man with links to Harrogate after he failed to appear in court.
Stephen Thrower was due in court for failing to comply with with the requirements of his sex offenders registration.
A warrant was issued for his arrest after he didn’t turn up.
West Yorkshire Police said in a tweet today the 53-year-old was as a danger to women and should not be approached.
Read More:
-
‘Deep shame and regret’ at former Harrogate vicar’s child sex offences
-
Harrogate’s Ashville College reports battery thefts after travellers depart
He has a number of tattoos, including a swallow, eagle, tiger and dagger on his right arm.
Thrower has links to Harrogate, York and Bradford and police believe he could be employed as a fairground worker.
Police urge anyone who sees him to call 999.
Ripon to get two CCTV cameras after ‘mini crime wave’North Yorkshire’s police, fire and crime commissioner has pledged to pay for two CCTV cameras in Ripon following a “mini crime wave”.
The two cameras are set to cost £10,000 each, but Philip Allott, the county’s police, fire and crime commissioner, has said his office will foot the bill.
It follows a spate of anti-social behaviour in the city, including an alleged knifepoint robbery of a teenage boy Bondgate last month. A 17-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man were later charged and remanded in custody.
Mr Allott told a meeting of North Yorkshire County Council‘s Skipton and Ripon Area Constituency Committee today that his office was willing to pay for the extra cameras, but warned that other measures would have to be taken to bring down crime.
Read More:
- Ripon groups urged to bid for £20,000 grants to tackle crime
- North Yorkshire Police not answering half of 999 calls on time
- Police boss ‘confident’ officers have a grip on crime in Ripon
He told councillors that police already had resources to investigate and apprehend offenders and that other measures to take kids off the streets were needed.
Mr Allott said:
Ripon groups urged to bid for £20,000 grants to tackle crime“In Ripon where there has been a mini crime wave, primarily thanks to four families where the perpetrators have been held on remand pending court appearances. We need to work with partners.
“I can make sure the police have resources and indeed in Ripon they have, to investigate and apprehend offenders but we need to look at diversion stuff we can do.
“The city council yesterday evening is keen to get not one but two extra cameras from the borough council. We will fund that and the cost is £10,000 each.
“But somebody has to do that application to my office, I cannot do that application alone.
“Equally, we do need councillors in particular to help in terms of local partnerships and safety hubs to help us with the diversion stuff that we can provide to take kids off the streets.”
Organisations concerned about crime in Ripon are being urged to apply for grants of up to £20,000.
Ripon has been blighted by anti-social behaviour in recent months. In one of the latest incidents, a teenage boy was robbed at knifepoint in Bondgate a fortnight ago.
The North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner‘s office operates a Community Fund specifically for local organisations, groups or individuals who need money to help fund a new community safety project or scheme.
The fund, which awards sums between £500 and £20,000, is only available for new projects and is aimed particularly at areas in the county suffering high crime.
Read More:
- Crowds flock to Ripon’s weekend of entertainment
- Could former MoD homes in Ripon be used to help Afghans?
Philip Allott, who was elected North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner this year, told the Stray Ferret he encouraged funding applications from groups and individuals in Ripon.
‘Funding can be used for setting up community activities like a youth club, theatre group, sports club, car maintenance, gardening group etc. The most important aspect is that the activity is designed for young people aged 11 – 17.“I would particularly welcome enquiries from those looking to offer activities in Ripon as it will provide diversionary activities to stop young people getting sucked into low level criminal activities.”
‘Moving breakdown truck drops car into fence’ in Harrogate
An eyewitness has described the moment a moving breakdown truck dropped a car, which then rolled into a fence in Harrogate near where children play.
The incident happened at about 9.20pm last night on Roberts Crescent.
A police cordon remains in place today on the street, which is just off Skipton Road, and there is also a broken fence.
The eyewitness, who asked not to be named, told the Stray Ferret:
“I walked past the field last night when a white tow truck was offloading a car as it was still driving off.
“As a result the car smashed through the fence of the field, causing a really loud noise. It’s a blessing it wasn’t an hour before because I saw kids playing there.
“The police soon turned up and taped off the smashed fence. I’m not sure of the outcome but there were lots of people out when officers investigated with torches.”
We approached North Yorkshire Police to confirm the account but received no reply by the time of publication.
Read more:
- Police boss ‘confident’ officers have a grip on crime in Ripon
- Appeal after rare motorbike stolen in Harrogate

The police cordon on Roberts Crescent.