Former colleagues raise wheelchair funds for Harrogate businessman David SimisterTV stars to support ‘walk and talk’ event for Harrogate businessman‘Do it for David’: Harrogate Festivals boss set for Great North Run

A well-known figure in Harrogate’s cultural life has set herself a new challenge to support a cause close to her heart.

Sharon Canavar, chief executive of Harrogate International Festivals, is aiming to complete the Great North Run to raise money for the Stroke Association.

She has chosen the charity after leading Harrogate businessman David Simister suffered a life-changing stroke in early March.

Having set a target of £1,500, she is already more than a third of the way there, just 24 hours after setting up her fundraising page – and said she hopes to raise even more before the event in September.

Sharon said:

“David is so well-loved. He was involved in so much and really cared about everything he worked on. Particularly over the pandemic, he was great with keeping the show on the road.

“I don’t think I’ve met anyone with a bad word to say about him.”

After growing up in Harrogate and attending Ashville College, Mr Simister trained as a journalist before founding Different PR with former schoolmate Richard Chew.

As well as working with a number of high-profile clients, he was heavily involved with Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce and became its chief executive in 2021. He has stepped back from his current roles as a result of his illness.

Harrogate International Festivals team with David SimisterSharon Canavar in green next to David Simister and the HIF team

Having done the Great North Run three times previously, Sharon said it will be emotional running for a close business connection and personal friend.

She has not run regularly since suffering an injury during the covid pandemic, and credits the Harrogate Town Running Group with getting her back to training to be ready for the Great North Run.

However, she has the small matter of HIF’s busiest few weeks of the year to get through first.

The summer season was launched at the weekend, with the flagship Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival scheduled for two weeks’ time.

This year’s events also include a children’s festival on July 15 and 16, and the Harrogate Carnival on July 30, which falls just six weeks before the run.

Sharon said:

“Running is quite good for stress relief. It’s good to get out and go for a stomp and work things through in my mind.

“David has been such a key part of my personal and festivals life, it’s really giving me the motivation to keep going and raise as much as possible to support him and other people affected by strokes.”

To support Sharon’s fundraising for the Stroke Association, click here.

Harrogate chamber chief executive David Simister seriously ill in hospital

David Simister, chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, is seriously ill in hospital.

The business organisation said on its website yesterday Mr Simister had suffered a “serious medical episode”.

It added:

“I am sure all our members, and friends in the wider business community of Harrogate will join us in wishing him and his family our thoughts and prayers for a positive outcome and want him to know that we will all be with him on his road to recovery.

“We are deeply saddened by the news and greatly miss David’s infectious enthusiasm and dedication.”

The message added the chamber’s management team led by president Sue Kramer and vice-presidents, Martin Mann, Sam Oakes and Jackie Snape would continue to support and represent chamber members.

Former journalist Mr Simister is well known in Harrogate. He co-founded the Harrogate communications firm Different PR and is a former councillor.

The Stray Ferret sends our best wishes to Mr Simister and hope for his speedy recovery.


Read more:


 

Nidderdale Chamber of Trade to fold after more than 50 years

Nidderdale Chamber of Trade will cease to exist at the end of next month after at least half a century of promoting businesses in and around Pateley Bridge.

Membership has dwindled since covid and there has been a lack of interest in taking up leadership roles.

Consequently the current directors have announced they will not be seeking re-election and are urging the 40 or so remaining members to take advantage of an introductory offer to join Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce.

Tim Ledbetter, chairman of Nidderdale Chamber of Trade and owner of Sypeland Outdoors, said the chance to join the Harrogate district group meant a “negative had turned into a positive” because it would give Nidderdale businesses a wider reach. He said:

“Things have changed in the last few years since covid. Like any voluntary organisation, it’s very difficult to get new volunteers and some have fallen by the wayside. Moving forward, we feel this is the best thing to do for Nidderdale.

“We will now be part of a bigger platform. A lot of businesses in Harrogate have heard of Pateley but don’t know about the opportunities. This will enable us to tell them.”

Mr Ledbetter said the chamber would leave a legacy of success, which included organising events such as late night Christmas shopping and a 1940s weekend and success in competitions such as the Great British High Street and Britain in Bloom.

The Harrogate district chamber is offering Nidderdale chamber members, which include hotels, shops, distilleries and galleries, discounted membership as a time-limited introductory offer.

Chief executive David Simister said:

“This a great opportunity for existing Nidderdale Chamber of Trade members to join a district-wide business organisation, one with a strong voice for business.”


Read more:


Sue Kramer, president of the Harrogate district chamber, said:

“A few years ago, we changed our name from Harrogate Chamber of Trade to Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, as we are keen to give a strong local business voice not just in Harrogate, but further afield too.

“Whilst our monthly meetings are held in Harrogate, the range of topics helping to educate and support businesses, and of course the networking opportunities are relevant to all district businesses.”

 

 

Harrogate business group calls for ‘better solution’ to Station Gateway

A Harrogate business group has called for a “better solution” to the Station Gateway scheme following the publication of the latest consultation.

David Simister, chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, said the scheme would have a “massive impact” on town centre businesses.

However, a Harrogate cycling group urged North Yorkshire County Council to progress with the project after thousands responded to the latest survey.

The third consultation results, which were published today, revealed 46 per cent of the responses were negative, 45 per cent were positive and nine per cent neutral towards the scheme.

The outcome is closer than the previous consultation when 59 per cent were negative and 39 per cent positive.

Mr Simister said all groups, including cyclists, needed to come together to come up with a solution that “all parties can buy into”.

He said:

“This is the third consultation, and yet again the majority of those responding have said they don’t agree with the proposals.

“It is going to have a massive impact on town centre business, many of whom are vehemently opposed to the scheme as they believe it will have a detrimental impact on their livelihoods.

“We recognise the impact of climate change and the need to encourage active travel, but it’s clear this project is not the correct way forward because the majority do not support it.

“We believe that all relevant stakeholders, including cycling groups, should collaborate and come up with a better solution, one that all parties can buy into and which will appeal to the majority, and ensure this investment is not lost.”

“There are elements of the scheme such as improvements to the public realm the majority are in favour of, me being one, however 46 per cent verses 45 per cent said they do not support the scheme.”


Read more:


Kevin Douglas, of Harrogate District Cycle Action, said the responses included some positive comments for the scheme.

He added the county council should proceed with its planned November start date.

Mr Douglas said:

“I am pleased that there is still strong support for the scheme of those people who agree with it.

“People thought it was a good use of the public space. We are a now at a point where it needs to progress.

“We did not feel that there was a need for a third consultation, but they have had more people respond now.”

The Stray Ferret contacted Chris Bentley, owner of Hornbeam Park Developments, for comment on the results, but he declined.

‘Significantly higher support’

The £11.2 million scheme would transform the area around Harrogate’s railway and bus stations but has proved controversial because of its potential impact on business and traffic. It would see James Street partly pedestrianised and traffic on Station Parade reduced to single-lane.

A total of 2,044 people responded to the latest consultation — almost twice as many as last time.

North Yorkshire County Council, which is leading on the scheme, said today’s results “demonstrate significantly higher support for the proposals”.

Cllr Keane Duncan, North Yorkshire County Council’s executive member for highways and transportation, said:

“It is encouraging to see the public voice significant and growing support for the gateway scheme and its objectives.

“While overall opinion of the scheme is split almost 50:50, key elements of the scheme received positive support from the public who took part. They told us they believe the scheme will be positive for business, make getting around the town centre safer and encourage more people to walk and cycle.”

Council leader faces call to drop £11.2m Harrogate Station Gateway if public oppose it

The leader of North Yorkshire County Council has faced a call to drop Harrogate’s Station Gateway project if the results of a consultation this week reveal public opposition.

Cllr Carl Les and council chief executive Richard Flinton spoke to business leaders at a Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce meeting at Rudding Park last night.

After a presentation by Mr Flinton about the new North Yorkshire Council, the two answered questions from the audience when the topic of the Station Gateway came up.

The £11.2 million project has been in development for three years after funding was won from the government’s Transforming Cities Fund.

It aims to make the town centre more accessible to cyclists and pedestrians and has been welcomed by those who want more active travel in the town. But some aspects of the scheme, such as reducing Station Parade to single-lane traffic and a part-pedestrianisation of James Street have proved to be unpopular with some business owners.

The results of a third round of consultation were expected to be published before Christmas but were delayed after the council received over 5,000 individual comments. Mr Flinton told the meeting the results of the consultation will be published in a report on Friday.

Drawing some gasps from the audience, the chamber’s chief executive, David Simister, asked Cllr Les if the council would drop the project should a majority of those who took part in the consultation oppose it.


Read more:


In response, Cllr Les said:

“There’s a possibility of a huge amount of investment coming to in the town, we don’t want to lose sight of it”.

If the report is approved by the council executive, it will be discussed at a Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee meeting in spring before the Conservative council’s executive makes a final decision in June.

Cllr Les suggested the opinions of councillors sitting on the area committee, which has a majority of Liberal Democrats, could be influential in deciding whether the project goes ahead. He said:

“I think whatever decisions the executive wants to make about the Transforming Cities Fund, leaving aside the fact that it’s a huge amount of money that could benefit the town, I would want to be guided by them [on the area committee] as well. I would not want to be doing something that is not in step with my colleagues”.

Harrogate business chief: government’s economic credentials ‘in tatters’

The chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce has said the government’s economic credentials are in tatters after today’s emergency statement.

David Simister cautiously welcomed last month’s mini-budget for containing measures to stimulate growth.

He said at the time scrapping the rise in national insurance and reversing the increase in corporation tax was “good news for businesses large and small”.

But Mr Simister was less complimentary about today’s statement by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt, which reversed almost all tax cuts besides national insurance.

Mr Simister said:

“This is a massive U-turn, and the government’s economic credentials are in tatters.

“In the Kwarteng mini-budget there were some real positives for business, cutting corporation tax, reducing national insurance, and reforming off-payroll (IR35) rules. Only the NI reduction has stayed.

“If Mrs Truss goes, and I really can’t see her staying the course, I wonder if there will be a third mini budget in as many months?”

The chamber, which was founded in 1896, supports local businesses and lobbies on their behalf.


Read more:


 

Harrogate businesses breathe ‘sigh of relief’ after energy bill cut

Businesses in the Harrogate district will breathe “a temporary sigh of relief” after the government announced a cap on energy bills, a local business group has said.

David Simister, chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, said the intervention by ministers to tackle the sky high cost of gas and electricity was welcome.

The scheme will see the government fix wholesale gas and electricity prices for businesses for six months from October 1.

It means bills are expected to be cut for firms by half their predicted level this winter.

Mr Simister said he hoped the move would prevent businesses from closing down.

He said:

“Today’s announcement by the government is extremely welcome, and there will be many businesses breathing a temporary sigh of relief.

“Over the last few weeks we have seen businesses pull the shutters down because of rising energy costs, and I hope today’s intervention will prevent many more from doing likewise.

“At the end of the week, the Chancellor will be unveiling a mini budget which I am hopeful will further take into account the needs of businesses.

“However, one thing we do have to bear in mind is that this money is being borrowed and therefore will have to be paid back at a later date.”

Rising energy bills has already forced some businesses in the district to close. 

They included Ainsty Farm Shop, which closed last weekend after its owners were told their annual energy bill was set to jump from £20,000 to £90,000 a year.


Read more:


Meanwhile, ministers announced that the cut in energy bills would also apply to hospitals, charities and schools.

A spokesperson for Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said:

“As with every other area of society, hospitals are not immune to rising energy costs, and as part of our annual budget planning we do our utmost to take into consideration any potential rises.

“Additional support provided by government during the current energy crisis will help alleviate some pressures that we face so that we can continue to provide the best possible health care for our community.

“We cannot simply rely on cost capping energy bills and our trust is committed to reducing costs, becoming more energy efficient and lessening our environmental impact by becoming a greener, more environmentally friendly organisation.

“A number of major projects have been undertaken as part of our £14 million Salix investment. This work includes insulating our roofing and replacing glazing across the Harrogate District Hospital site to help reduce our energy consumption.”

Kwasi Kwarteng, Chancellor of the Exchequer, said:

“We have stepped in to stop businesses collapsing, protect jobs, and limit inflation.

“And with our plans to boost home-grown energy supply, we will bring security to the sector, growth to the economy and secure a better deal for consumers.”

Transport chief denies inflation will lead to ‘cheap’ Harrogate Station Gateway

The councillor in charge of transport in North Yorkshire has claimed inflation will not lead to cheaper materials being used in the £11.2 million Harrogate Station Gateway scheme.

Cllr Keane Duncan, executive member for highways and transportation at North Yorkshire County Council, told Harrogate district businesses last night the scheme would not be “compromised”.

David Simister, chief executive of Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, told the organisation’s monthly meeting that Harrogate was a “premier town” and “the last thing we want is for the town centre to be cheapened”.

Mr Simister said he would prefer to see any town centre investment spent on improving Cambridge Street and Oxford Street rather than on the gateway project, which would pedestrianise part of James Street and reduce traffic on a stretch of Station Parade to single lane to encourage walking and cycling.

Cambridge Street in the sun

Cambridge Street – in need of investment?

He asked Cllr Duncan if he could guarantee the gateway would be a high quality project. Cllr Duncan replied:

“At the moment there hasn’t been any discussion around compromising the scheme.

“If there are inflationary pressures we will have to look at what we can do around those costings. Does the council look at contributing to any shortfall? That’s not anything we have discussed at this time.”


Read more:


Cllr Duncan added all local authorities faced inflationary measures that required “tough decisions” but added:

“The last thing I want to see happen is compromise on the public realm because that is an important part of the scheme.”

Cllr Duncan told the meeting the third round of gateway consultation had now ended and if, as expected, councillors decide to proceed, work is likely to start next year.

Encouraging active travel

He also told the chamber meeting, which focused on carbon reduction,  that “how people shop and get around” was a key part of the council’s plan to be carbon net zero by 2034 and carbon negative by 2040.

Cllr Duncan, who lives in Malton, said there were four strands to achieving this. They were: fleet and logistics; shifting to low carbon vehicles; decarbonising public transport and increasing active travel by encouraging more people to walk distances of up to 2km and cycle distances of up to 8km rather than drive.

Cyclist on Otley Road. Photo: Hedgehog Cycling

Encouraging cycling is a council priority. Photo: Hedgehog Cycling

Responding to a question by a chamber member that the council’s aim to double the use of public transport seemed completely at odds with what is happening, Cllr Duncan agreed the number of bus routes had decreased over the last 20 years, adding:

“We are now at a critical time. Passenger numbers are now at 80% pre-pandemic levels.

“A number of routes that were previously commercially viable are now essentially at a cliff edge situation.”

He said the council was therefore “trying to do things differently”, for instance by introducing the on-demand minibus service for rural areas YorBus, which covers Ripon, Masham and Bedale.

Last night’s chamber meeting at the Cedar Court Hotel in Harrogate also heard carbon reduction-themed talks from Paul White, a procurement specialist at Auditel, Sarah Jones, the founder of Full Circle Funerals and from Danny Wild and Mike Kay from Harrogate District Climate Change Coalition.