Harrogate and Ripon hospitals maintain visitor restrictions due to high covid rates

The NHS trust that runs hospitals in Harrogate and Ripon is to maintain visitor restrictions while coronavirus case rates remain high.

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust imposed restrictions at Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital on December 23 amid concerns about the Omicron variant.

It means visitors are only allowed for patients on end of life care, patients with a learning disability or severe cognitive impairment such as dementia. Parents or carers of children and birthing partners are also permitted.


Read more:


At the time, the hospital said it would review the restrictions regularly and relax them “at the earliest opportunity”.

However, although the government removed all Plan B measures a week ago, the trust has yet to say when regular visits will resume.

A spokesperson for the trust said today:

“Visitor guidance has not changed since December 23, 2021, although it is regularly reviewed.

“While infection rates remain at the current levels, we need to maintain the current restrictions on visitors to our wards for the safety of our patients and staff.

“These restriction also still apply to those people wanting to accompany outpatients to their appointments.

“Anyone entering our hospital will also need to wear a mask, ensure they sanitise their hands and maintain social distancing.”

Another 339 covid infections were recorded in the Harrogate district yesterday, bringing the seven-day average to 1,305 cases per 100,000 people — the highest in North Yorkshire and considerably above the England rate of 1,048.

Ripon city centre pub closes for ‘forseeable future’

A pub in the centre of Ripon has closed for the foreseeable future.

The Lamb and Flag, on High Skellgate, looks quiet and dark today with the pub garden fenced off.

It is unclear why the pub has closed but the owners, who took over a little more than a year ago, revealed the news in a statement on their Facebook page. It said:

“This decision has not come lightly but unfortunately the Lamb and Flag will be closed for the foreseeable.

“We would like to thank everyone for their support but at this time we will be closing.

“We will update everyone if there are any changes.”

The Stray Ferret asked the pub’s owners why they decided to close and whether it would reopen. However, we had not received a reply by the time of publication.


Read more:


No vaccine passports: Harrogate Town prepares to reduce capacity

Harrogate Town have confirmed that there will be no requirement to show proof of coronavirus vaccination at the EnviroVent Stadium.

Under the government’s Plan B restrictions, unseated venues with more than 4,000 people need to check for a negative covid test result or an NHS covid pass.

The EnviroVent Stadium on Wetherby Road can hold up to 5,000 fans so it is just over that limit. However, attendance has not gone over the 3,500 mark so far this season.


Read more:


A spokesman for Harrogate Town told the Stray Ferret:

“If it came to it, we would cap ticket sales below 4,000, however we don’t foresee this being necessary with average numbers falling well below 4,000 this season to date.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and are still waiting on further advice, but will follow government, English Football League and local authority guidelines to ensure the safety of visitors and staff alike.

“We are encouraging face masks, hand washing and ask anyone with covid symptoms or living with anyone with covid symptoms not to visit the stadium.”

There is a mixed picture across League Two. Some clubs, like Harrogate Town, have opted for reduced capacity while others will ask for a covid pass.

Harrogate business groups criticise ‘confusing’ Plan B ahead of Commons vote

Harrogate business groups have described the government’s Plan B coronavirus restrictions as confusing, ahead of tonight’s vote in the House of Commons.

Both Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce and Harrogate Business Improvement District are concerned about the impact the measures would have on businesses.

David Simister, chief executive of the chamber, said:

“To me, Plan B makes no sense whatsoever. Whilst being asked to work from home we can still go to the gym, restaurants, pubs, bars and Christmas parties – all without the need of wearing a mask!

“If businesses do close offices, working from home will have an impact on the economy – public transport, car parks hospitality and retail will all suffer as a result.”

More than 80 Conservative MPs are expected tonight to vote against the measures, which include vaccine passports for large gatherings, compulsory face masks in more settings and the reintroduction of the work from home policy whenever possible.

Harrogate MPs Nigel Adams, Andrew Jones and Julian Smith.

Harrogate MPs Nigel Adams, Andrew Jones and Julian Smith.

The Stray Ferret contacted Harrogate district Conservative MPs Andrew Jones, Julian Smith and Nigel Adams to ask whether they intended to vote with the government.

However, we did not receive a response by the time of publication. MPs are expected to vote at around 6.30pm.


Read more:


Harrogate BID manager Matthew Chapman said:

“The message we are consistently promoting is that Harrogate is open for business – and that will continue after tonight’s Commons vote.

“If this confusing message does have an impact on Christmas trade, then I feel the government should be considering financial support to counter this.

“The rail commute into town is certainly quieter than last week, and I know a large number of office levy payers are now working from home, which will have an impact on the economy.

“However, with covid measures still in place in many businesses, I’m not sure how many employees will work from home.

“Whilst it looks likely the government will have a majority, covid passports and lateral flow tests to visit nightclubs and indoor venues will prove problematic, as who’s going to police it? I hope that people can continue to be kind and considerate to those who are working so hard in these sectors.”

Harrogate MP silent after saying scrapping HS2 would ‘betray the north’

Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has so far remained silent on the expected scrapping of plans to extend the HS2 line from Birmingham to Leeds.

The former rail minister has been a vocal advocate of the project. In February 2019, he said that it would be a “betrayal of the north” if it did not go ahead.

However, government sources briefed national media outlets over the weekend about the decision ahead of an expected announcement on Thursday.

Just two months ago Mr Jones reiterated his support for HS2 at the annual Transport for the North conference in Leeds. He said:

“I hope that we do not see any compromise on our desire for big investment in our infrastructure. We have failed spectacularly to invest enough in our infrastructure.

“This has meant it is now too expensive and too difficult to move people and goods around the country. So I do not support the argument that we need to abandon longer term infrastructure investment.”


Read more:


At a previous Transport for the North conference in February 2019, Mr Jones went further and criticised media outlets for reporting speculation over the future of the HS2 Birmingham to Leeds line.

“We have all probably seen some media reports claiming that the northern stages of HS2 might not be built. They are nonsense.

“HS2 was conceived, developed and is now being delivered as a national railway. But in particular to improve links for our area.

“So our commitment to the full network of HS2 is undiminished. To cancel anything would be a betrayal of the north.”

The Stray Ferret asked Mr Jones for his thoughts this morning. However, he did not reply to our request for comment by the time of publication.

Government rejects £6m levelling up bid for Ripon and Masham

A £6 million bid for government funding for regeneration projects in Ripon, Masham and Skipton has been rejected.

Harrogate Borough Council and Craven District Council made the joint submission for “high-quality place-making, improved cultural and community assets, and improved sustainable connectivity” across the three areas.

However, the authorities were dealt a setback when the government announced during its budget last week that the bid had been unsuccessful.

A joint statement from the councils said: 

“We’re very disappointed to hear that the joint bid between Craven District Council and Harrogate Borough Council in the government’s Levelling Up Fund has been unsuccessful.

“The Levelling Up Fund is a competitive process and sadly only a small proportion of priority three areas – which we were identified as – received funding in round one.

“There also appears to be no areas in North Yorkshire that have received funding.”


Read more:


More than 100 bids around the UK have been awarded a combined total of £1.7 billion from the fund, with another £3.1 billion to be awarded after the next application window opens in 2022.

£187 million awarded in Yorkshire

In Yorkshire, around £187 million was secured by councils for 10 projects, including a major waterfront extension in Doncaster and a refurbishment of Halifax Swimming Pool.

The cash will be used to improve transport connections across west Leeds and to help convert a derelict site in Wakefield into a new museum and art gallery.

The funding is said to be targeted at areas in the greatest need and for investing in “infrastructure that improves everyday life across the UK, including regenerating town centres and high streets, upgrading local transport, and investing in cultural and heritage assets”.

The joint bid from Harrogate Borough Council and Craven District Council required an approval from Skipton and Ripon MP Julian Smith.

If approved, match funding from the private sector would have seen the total cost of the regeneration projects climb to £8.8 million.

The joint statement from the councils continued: 

“We are grateful to all the organisations who supported the bid, which would have delivered a wide range of regeneration projects across Skipton, Masham and Ripon.

“We still believe that there is a strong case for investment and we will continue to work with partners to try and bring these schemes forward in the future.”

Harrogate’s ‘significant gambling issues’ made worse by covid

A doctor who leads the NHS Northern Gambling Service has said that people in Harrogate suffer with significant gambling issues.

Matt Gaskell is based at the clinic in Leeds which opened in 2019. Since then he has seen people come to him with depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.

Some on benefits had lost out around £5,000 but others, who are on large salaries, have run up debts of hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Dr Gaskell contacted the Stray Ferret to encourage people from the Harrogate area with gambling issues to come forward after seeing the problem made worse by coronavirus:

“More people need to know that we have this gambling addiction service on their doorsteps. We have specialist psychologists and therapists.

“As part of our service we can also speak to the family of those who have a gambling addiction.

“People come to us with mental health issues, lots of debts and broken-down relationships. But when work with them often clients have a good outcome.

“It is a hidden addiction which the government needs to treat like other addictions.”

Upcoming government gambling review

His comments came after his meeting with Gambling Commissioner Chris Philip. During the meeting they discussed an upcoming government review into gambling.

The government called for evidence in December 2020, which finished on March 31 2021. A white paper with restrictions on online gambling is expected late this year.

Dr Gaskell added:

“Online casinos and football betting are particular problems. Football has become a billboard for gambling, most can’t watch a game without considering a bet.

“We need a public health campaign in the same way that we have had with smoking and drinking. Often those who are addicted to gambling are at a higher risk of suicide compared to other addictions.

“Banks and gambling firms know exactly how much money people are spending and could stop them building up such debts.”

MPs ‘should not accept bribes’ from gambling firms

The Stray Ferret reported in August that local MP Nigel Adams accepted £6,000 worth of free hospitality tickets to England’s Euro 2020 games from gambling firms.

Mr Adams, who represents Selby and Ainsty, which includes some rural parts of the Harrogate district such as Spofforth and Follifoot, received tickets to three games at Wembley Stadium.

Seven Conservative MPs and two members of Labour opposition leader Keir Starmer’s front bench accepted hospitality tickets to games involving England.

More than most, it was difficult for Dr Gaskell to read that news. He said it was wrong for MPs to take money from gambling firms:

“I believe it is deeply concerning that MPs have taken money from gambling firms when that money has been made through those who have been harmed by it.

“Research shows that 60% of profits come from the 5% who have suffered most harm, I think questions need to be asked about this, it is effectively a bribe.”

The Stray Ferret has put Dr Gaskell’s comments to Nigel Adams MP. He has not replied by the time of publication.


Read more:


Do you or someone you know suffer with gambling addiction? Get help by calling the NHS Northern Gambling Service on 0300 300 1490 or send an email here.

Harrogate district MP promoted to cabinet

Nigel Adams MP has been promoted as part of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s cabinet reshuffle.

Mr Adams, whose Selby and Ainsty constituency includes parts of rural Harrogate, has been appointed minister without portfolio in the Cabinet Office.

He moves from his previous position as minister of state for Asia at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

The new role means he will support coordinating government policy, but will not have responsibility for a specific department.


Read more:


Mr Adams will, however, sit on the cabinet and have a vote at meetings, which means he is one of the country’s key decision makers.

The Prime Minister said he wanted a “strong and united team to build back better from the pandemic” after his reshuffle.

The appointment comes days after Mr Adams was criticised for telling anti-Brexit campaigner Steve Bray to “f**k off” outside the House of Commons.

He defended his outburst, which he claimed “no doubt reflected” the feelings of other MPs.

£300-a-night Harrogate district hotel shamed for paying below minimum wage

The government has named and shamed two organisations in the Harrogate district today for paying below the national minimum wage.

Swinton Park, near Masham, and Harrogate commercial cleaning company SBFM Limited were among the 191 national employers named by the government for underpaying workers.

Swinton Park, which charges around £300 a night, failed to pay £1,751 to 15 staff, according to investigations by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs between 2011 and 2018.

The issue at Swinton Park, which is set in 20,000 acres, came to light following a HMRC visit in March 2017.

The hotel said in a statement today the HMRC meeting had highlighted how some staff accommodation deposits had been taken incorrectly.

The statement added:

“As soon as we were alive to the fact, all accommodation deposits were refunded to all staff and any errors were repaid in full, again in March 2017. The company did not receive a fine or any penalty.

“Swinton Park pays above national minimum wage to all staff and we are continually striving to be a hospitality business of choice for employees through our salary and benefits packages.”

Swinton, which has been owned by the Cunliffe-Lister family since the 1880s, is one of the top hotels in the Harrogate district.


Read more:


SBFM Limited, which is based at Cardale Park in Harrogate, was also named for breaching the national minimum wage.

According to the government, the cleaning company failed to pay £583.02 to one worker.

The Stray Ferret contacted SBFM for comment but did not receive a reply by the time of publication.

Other notable businesses named on the list include John Lewis plc, Martin McColl Retail Ltd, One Stop Stores Ltd and The Body Shop International Ltd.

Business minister Paul Scully said:

“Our minimum wage laws are there to ensure a fair day’s work gets a fair day’s pay – it is unacceptable for any company to come up short.

“All employers, including those on this list, need to pay workers properly.

“This government will continue to protect workers’ rights vigilantly, and employers that short-change workers won’t get off lightly.”

Harrogate events company folds after 46 years

A Harrogate events company, which employed more than 30 people, is set to go into liquidation.

Andrew Manby, director of family events firm Joe Manby Ltd, had been vocal in calling for more government support for the beleaguered conference and exhibition industry.

The sector has been decimated since the pandemic in March. But Joe Manby Ltd, like many others, had been preparing for a safe and limited return in October until the government intervened.


Read more:


Mr Manby told the Stray Ferret “it was a heartbreaking decision” after 46 years in the business:

“We were ready to start business again this month. We had run trials and proved that we could hold events safely.

“But at the last minute Boris Johnson put the cat among the pigeons and said we were not allowed. It is particularly frustrating seeing UK-based businesses like ours running events abroad.”

Joe Manby Ltd organised more than 50 events a year. In May last year it secured a three-year contract to provide events services for the Harrogate Bridal Show.

Mr Manby, who is one of the founder’s sons, believes many businesses in the events industry are in a similar position.

He said the government’s job retention scheme had kept the business ticking over but it was difficult to survive without a clear date for return.

Coronavirus has hit Harrogate’s events industry particularly hard.

The town usually hosts a string of major events, conferences and exhibitions but the convention centre’s conversion into a Nightingale hospital changed this.