Harrogate pubs say Pubwatch troublemaker app makes town centre ‘safer’

Members of Harrogate Pubwatch have said an app to keep bars informed on troublemakers is helping to keep the town centre safer.

Harrogate Pubwatch has approximately 40 bars and pubs registered. Together they can ban a person from all venues who’s behaviour is deemed inappropriate or dangerous for a set period.

Last month, the group imposed a lifetime ban on someone found carrying a knife in Mojo. It has recently added three more people to the banned list, two for violence and one for drug use.

The group also uses an app, sponsored by Harrogate BID, which gives details on all those banned but also provides live information on anyone causing trouble to give other bars the opportunity to refuse them entry before getting inside.

Simon Colgan, a member and owner of the Empress on the Stray and Blues Bar, praised the app. He said:

“If a person’s behaviour is deemed unsafe and dangerous we have a vote and decide the length of the ban. Bars working together like this is a real benefit for the town, it means we can keep venues safe for people to enjoy.”

Harrogate Pubwatch operates under the National Pubwatch guidelines and has set ban lengths for different offences. For example, drug dealing would mean someone is banned for 18 months and sexual harassment such as groping is nine months.


Read more:


Hannah Ingram, supervisor at Hales Bar, agreed bars working together is hugely positive:

“We work within a really good system, we all support each other. At Hales Bar we, of course, have different customers to Mojo for example but if someone is stopped there it maybe they try come here. The app means we know who to look out for.

“Harrogate is safer for it because there are more eyes about.”

Gabrielle Marcinkeviciute, general manager at North Bar, said:

“In general I don’t want people to think they can act badly and then the next day it all be fine. People know that if they misbehave in a bar that’s part of Pubwatch they won’t be welcome, it makes them more well behaved because they know they could be banned  from numerous places.”

Harrogate BID initially sponsored the app for one year but after positive response from businesses and an increase in membership it has extended it for a further 12 months.

Harrogate Pubwatch Secretary Alan Huddart said:

“Pubwatch is making a real difference, and over the last 12 months we have seen our membership grow by 100 per cent. It’s helping alert participating venues in real time about any incidents, and helping identify troublemakers in the process.

“Harrogate is a great town with superb pubs, clubs and bars. It’s a safe town and Pubwatch is helping make it even safer.”

Knaresborough teen had knife in Harrogate’s Mojo bar

A Knaresborough teenager has been ordered to do 300 hours of community work after pleading guilty to having a knife in Harrogate bar Mojo.

Arterus Moisejevas, 19, was accused of having a flick knife in the venue on Parliament Street on April 10.

Moisejevas, of Colebrooke Meadows, admitted the charge at Harrogate Magistrates Court on Thursday.

He was also ordered to pay a £95 surcharge to fund victim services and £85 costs to the Crown Prosecution Service.

His case is one of a spate of recent knife crime offences heard in court in Harrogate recently.

Harrogate Pubwatch revealed on Thursday that it had imposed a life ban on someone found carrying a knife in a town centre venue.

The organisation represents about 40 licensed venues in town. Members share information on troublemakers and jointly impose sanctions.

Sadly we have had to impose a lifetime ban on someone found to be carrying a knife in one of our town centre venues a couple of weekends ago. The possession of weapons in Harrogate's pubs, clubs and bars simply won't be tolerated #Harrogate

— Harrogate Pubwatch (@hgpubwatch) April 27, 2022

 

Police: knives produce ‘false sense of security’

Asked whether knife crime in the Harrogate district was increasing and, if so, what action it was taking, a North Yorkshire Police spokesperson said:

“Carrying a knife is a completely false sense of security. Producing a knife does not de-escalate a confrontation, it makes a bad situation worse and drastically increases the chance of you yourself being injured by that blade.

“As part of our efforts to tackle knife crime, we support Operation Sceptre, which is a twice-yearly national coordinated week of activity where police forces across the country help keep knives off the streets and deter people from carrying them, and through information and intelligence, proactively target knife-related offences.

“In July last year, changes to the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 were introduced which mean it is an offence to possess certain items such as knuckledusters, throwing stars and zombie knives, even in private.

“To anyone who is concerned for a friend or family member who they think maybe carrying a knife, please speak to them and explain the dangers. Tell them the safer and smarter thing to do is to put the knife down or come and surrender it at one of our police stations. You could be saving a life.

“Anyone with information on knife crime in their local community can always contact police on 101 or can pass information to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. In an emergency, always dial 999.”

‘You’re banned’: Harrogate pubs introduce new sanctions against troublemakers

People caught drug dealing in Harrogate venues face 18 month bans in a new list of sanctions that comes into force today.

Harrogate Pubwatch, which represents 38 licensed venues in town, has updated its list of ban tariffs.

The tariffs state how long people caught offending in one venue face being banned from all venues that take part in the scheme.

Members of Harrogate Pubwatch, which includes pubs such as Wetherspoon and Christies Bar as well as hotel bars such as The Crown and the Cedar Court Hotel, share information and photos of troublemakers on an app.

They then have a week to vote on what action to take, with the ban tariffs acting as a guide.

Acts of violence carry a 24-month ban, sexual harassment has a nine-month ban and possession of weapons carries a life ban. Eleven people currently have life bans.

Harrogate Pubwatch ban tariffs

Acts of violence against venue staff, which carries a 30-month ban, has been introduced as a new category following a recent increase in incidents.

Alan Huddart, vice-chair of Harrogate Pubwatch and treasurer of Bilton Working Men’s Club, said there had been four attacks on venue staff in town since pubs reopened after lockdown.

Mr Huddart said he wasn’t sure why staff were being attacked more but the app had proved effective in taking collaborative action to keep venues safe. He said:

“At the moment we have a total of 46 people banned. There have been as many as over 100 previously.

“You could argue that lockdown has been responsible for the number declining but increasing the profile of Harrogate Pubwatch has been effective.”

Harrogate Pubwatch holds quarterly meetings with police representatives.

Harrogate Business Improvement District contributed £2,000 towards the Harrogate Pubwatch app.


Read more: