Police arrest 22 people in 24 hours during Operation Tornado‘Honest and ethical’ Harrogate law firm celebrates 10 year anniversary

This story is sponsored by Truth Legal.


A Harrogate law firm is celebrating supporting those most in need of legal advice for 10 years.

Truth Legal, which is based on Victoria Avenue, was founded by Andrew Gray back in 2012.

It was set up to help provide access to justice for those who may find the law difficult to navigate and has prided itself on having a “honest and ethical” ethos.

Since then, Truth Legal has gone onto support people for personal injury, clinical negligence, employment, small businesses and immigration cases and even expanded its client base into Leeds with a new office.

Georgina Parkin, the Managing Director at the firm, said the purpose of the company continues to be helping those people who find the law hard to access. She said:

She said:

“Truth Legal was set up in 2012 with the ethos of providing ethical and affordable access to justice. Access to justice has been reduced over the last 12 years with reductions in legal aid and increased court fees.”

“There has been a lot of changes to various areas of the law over the years, such as legal aid and employment tribunals.”

Georgina, who started out as a trainee back in 2013 before rapidly rising to director, is set to oversee the next milestone in the company’s history.

Truth Legal at their 10 year anniversary celebration.

Truth Legal at their 10 year anniversary celebration.

Along with Louis MacWilliam and Navya Shekhar, Georgina will take on majority control of the firm. Catherine Reynolds will continue in her role as a Director of the firm. Andrew will continue to provide support as a consultant.

Going forward, Truth Legal wants to undertake another ambitious recruitment drive and look at setting up another office.

It also intends to take on more social justice cases and expanding its immigration, employment and clinical negligence teams.

For Georgina, the mission of the firm will remain the same – providing access to justice for those who need it most.

For more information on Truth Legal and how to get in touch for legal advice, visit their website here or call 01423 788358.

Home Office accused of ‘disgraceful actions’ over Linton asylum plan

A Conservative-led council has voiced fury after the Home Office announced it had moved forward plans to open a centre for asylum seekers on the edge of the Harrogate district.

A meeting of Hambleton District Council heard claims the Home Office had treated the residents of Linton-on-Ouse and the surrounding area with “complete contempt” by revealing that 60 people would be arriving at the centre in the isolated village from May 31, weeks earlier than it previously stated.

The centre will be just 10 miles from Boroughbridge and 13 miles from Knaresborough, and on the doorstep of Harrogate district villages such as Nun Monkton, Great Ouseburn and Green Hammerton.

Ministers have insisted the centre, at a former RAF training base, will “provide safe and self-sufficient accommodation”.

They say the centre, where Prince William trained as a pilot, will help end the Home Office’s reliance on expensive hotels, which are costing the taxpayer £4.7million a day.

The authority’s leader, Cllr Mark Robson, said during a meeting with the police and crime commissioner, Thirsk and Malton MP Kevin Hollinrake that the Home Office’s announcement had come as “a bit of a bombshell”.

He said:

“What we were told four to six weeks just before Easter has suddenly become two weeks time.

“I’m in no doubt about how much worry and concern there is in the local community and the surrounding areas about this proposal from government.”

He said the authority was working to get answers about the situation as quickly as it could. Cllr Robson the authority had appointed a legal team and was anticipating receiving advice imminently.


Read more:


The council leader said elected members and officers had been “in constant and robust dialogue” with the Home Office, and that the council was expecting a response to the council’s concerns later this week.

Cllr Robson said:

“We have, in the strongest possible terms, asked that the Home Office pause this proposal immediately to allow for consultation to be carried out and are awaiting the response to this ask.

“Officers and members continue to take part in multi-agency meetings and support and work closely with the local community and surrounding areas. Although frustrating and concerning, it is very important that what we do now doesn’t prejudice any outcome from the legal process.”

‘Goalposts have changes again’

Linton-on-Ouse Cllr Malcolm Taylor said while the community was looking for answers, there was now a “very tight window of opportunity” to take action. He said:

“The goalposts have been changed yet again by the Home Office and I think it is absolutely regrettable and disgraceful the way this Home Office has treated the residents not just of Linton-on-Ouse but the wider community and this council and everybody who is an interested party in this. We need to get answers and we need to get them very quickly.”

Local member Cllr Nigel Knapton added:

“They are playing games with us and it is absolutely disgraceful.”

Harrogate district refugee groups oppose ‘cruel’ immigration bill

Volunteers from charities that support refugees in the Harrogate district held a demonstration on Saturday afternoon to oppose what they describe as a “cruel” government immigration bill.

Harrogate District of Sanctuary and Ripon City of Sanctuary met outside Ripon Cathedral with placards and banners.

They oppose the government’s nationality and borders bill, which was debated in Parliament last week. The bill will make it a criminal offence to knowingly arrive in the UK without permission to be here.

The government says the bill will “send a clear message to migrants” thinking about making the “dangerous and illegal” journey.

The BBC has reported that more than 23,000 people have made the crossing from France to the UK by boat so far this year.

However, Nicola David, from Ripon City of Sanctuary, said the bill will criminalise people fleeing persecution and violence in their home countries.

Ms David said:

“We came together in unity.

“We feel the general public doesn’t know about the bill. Many people are horrified.

“What the government is doing is closing down the ability to come to the UK by asylum and only through resettlement schemes.”


Read more:


The bill would also allow the government to place asylum seekers in countries outside of the UK while they wait for a decision.

The government says the bill “tackles illegal immigration”.

“It will prioritise those in most need of protection while stopping the abuse of the system.”