Contract to produce business case for Harrogate’s Station Gateway awarded

Three companies have been awarded a share of a £20 million contract to help progress major transport schemes in Yorkshire, including Harrogate’s Station Gateway.

The West Yorkshire Combined Authority, which works in partnership with local authorities to improve transport and stimulate economic development, advertised a contract to bring in a strategic development partner for its Transforming Cities projects.

The projects include the £10.9 million Station Gateway scheme in Harrogate, which was approved last month, and similar schemes that promote sustainable travel in West Yorkshire, including a new bus station for Halifax town centre.

Leeds-based companies Jacobs UK Limited, Ove Arup & Partners Limited and WSP UK Limited have now been commissioned to help move the schemes forward.

This includes support to help “ensure that all necessary technical work and tasks are completed to enable projects to complete full business cases”.

Business case earmarked for August

Works on detailed designs of the Harrogate project – which includes reducing a stretch of Station Parade to single-lane traffic and a part-time pedestrianisation of James Street – are now continuing ahead of a final business case being submitted around August.

The business case will then be presented to West Yorkshire Combined Authority, which is overseeing the project funding from the government’s Transforming Cities Fund.


Read more:


Subject to its approval, a contractor will then be appointed to carry out the works, as well as similar projects in Selby and Skipton.

The Harrogate gateway scheme is one of numerous schemes being funded by a £2.45 billion central government fund to boost active travel in towns and cities.

Work on the scheme was due to begin in spring this year and take a year to complete. But North Yorkshire County Council, the lead partner, has said work can continue longer. Business groups have expressed concern that roadworks could affect Christmas trade.

As previously reported by the Stray Ferret, following final approval, work on the scheme could continue into 2024 after the Department for Transport advised council officials that the deadline could be extended.

Confirmed: £11m Station Gateway to get green light next week

North Yorkshire County Council has confirmed that the £10.9m Harrogate Station Gateway will be recommended for approval next week.

The Stray Ferret revealed last week that the county council’s executive was expected to give the green light on January 25.

Now the county council, which is the lead partner for the scheme, has confirmed the executive is recommended to take the proposals forward to detailed design stage so work can start in spring or summer.

It says the move will save shops from decline, make the town centre more attractive and improve the town centre for cyclists and pedestrians.

Station Gateway design

James Street will be partly pedestrianised and traffic on some of Station Parade reduced to single lane.

The decision comes despite widespread opposition to the scheme from businesses and residents.

The results of the second phase of consultation, published last month, revealed that of 1,320 people who replied to an online survey, 55% feel negatively, 39% positively and five per cent neutral towards the scheme. One per cent said they didn’t know.

Nevertheless the scheme is expected to proceed with only minor amendments.


Read more:


A report to councillors acknowledges there has been “a general reduction in the level of support for the changes”. It says the main concerns are the negative impacts on businesses, congestion, air quality and the attractiveness, accessibility and safety of the town centre.

It adds that officers believe:

“The proposals will have an overall positive impact on the local economy, air quality and the attractiveness, accessibility and safety of the town centre with a minimal increase in journey times and flows in the worst case traffic modelling.

“It is therefore considered appropriate that the proposals be taken forward through detailed design and implementation.”

The report adds the “overall impact on retail footfall is expected to be positive”, adding.

“Evidence suggests that the town centre retail sector is at risk of decline in the medium term. There is also a growing body of case study evidence which indicates that the scheme will increase footfall and economic value.”

Granville Road Gateway protestors

Residents living near the town centre fear their streets will get more traffic.

Extra traffic in residential areas

Regarding concerns that the changes will displace traffic along the A61 Cheltenham Crescent into nearby residential streets, the report says traffic modelling looked at “significant changes (an average change of 3 vehicles per minute or more)”, adding:

“At the worst time of day (the afternoon peak hour) only East Parade experiences a significant increase in flow (5 vehicles per minute).”

The Harrogate scheme is one of three in Yorkshire being paid for with £42m from the government’s Transforming Cities Fund.

County Councillor Don Mackenzie, executive member for access, said:

These proposals represent the biggest investment in Harrogate, Selby and Skipton town centres in decades and aim to increase productivity by making it quicker, easier and safer for people to travel around and connect with economic opportunities.

“We want to encourage more people to travel by foot, bike and public transport because it is good for health and the environment by promoting fitness and reducing congestion. The spending will also provide a welcome boost for our town centres after two difficult years of trading during the pandemic.

“The entire project is a great example of partnership working between Craven District Council, Harrogate Borough Council, Selby District Council, North Yorkshire County Council and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority and is set to deliver real benefits to residents and businesses across our county.

“We have listened to feedback from the public consultations and are confident people will be pleased with the results.”

Harrogate Station Gateway set to be given go-ahead this month

Councillors look set to give the green light to the £10.9 million Harrogate Station Gateway in just over a fortnight’s time.

Work on the scheme, which aims to make the town centre more attractive to cyclists and pedestrians, is then likely to begin in spring or summer.

The designs are not expected to be amended significantly despite considerable opposition from residents and businesses.

North Yorkshire County Council, which is the lead partner, is set to make a decision on the gateway at its executive meeting on January 25.

Don Mackenzie

Don Mackenzie, executive member for access at the county council, told the Stray Ferret it was “likely” the initiative will be recommended for approval. He said:

“I am indeed expecting that the executive will be asked to make a decision on the Harrogate Gateway scheme at its next-but-one meeting on January 25.

“It is likely that a report will be presented with recommendations to proceed with the project.

“I do not expect the design to differ to any great extent from that which has been consulted upon last year, although we may give authority for minor changes as progress is made, should they be required. That is not unusual in such cases.

“All of this is dependent upon a positive decision to proceed.”


Read more:


Petition rejected

Last week the county council rejected a 714-signature petition by Harrogate Residents Association calling for the project to be halted.

The petition followed the publication of consultation responses, which revealed that of 1,320 people who replied to an online survey, 55% feel negatively, 39% positively and five per cent neutral towards the scheme. One per cent said they didn’t know.

Anna McIntee, co-founder of the group, accused the authority of “ploughing ahead” with the project without listening to concerns.

Station Gateway designs

How James Street would look.

But Harrogate District Cycle Action said in a statement at the same meeting that the gateway would be a “big step forward” towards a greener future.

Key proposals include reducing traffic to one lane on some of Station Parade and part-pedestrianising James Street to encourage cycling and walking.

Legal threat

Last month Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce, Harrogate Business Improvement District and Independent Harrogate, accused those behind the project of ignoring criticism and urged them to “put the brakes on”.

Businesses in Harrogate, concerned about the scheme’s impact on trade, are considering a legal challenge.

They had hoped a challenge could either stop the scheme or delay it long enough to jeopardise funding.

Station Gateway design

New cycle lanes would be built on Station Parade.

North Yorkshire County Council and partners Harrogate Borough Council, and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority have previously said that the Department for Transport, which is funding the Harrogate scheme and similar ones in Selby and Skipton through its Transforming Cities Fund, requires the projects be completed by March 2023.

But Cllr Mackenzie suggested this was not necessarily the case. He said:

“A contractor would need to be chosen before the start of construction. I am guessing that work would get underway in late spring or summer.

“Furthermore, I am confident that the initial deadline for completion of all the gateway schemes in North and West Yorkshire of March 2023 would be able to be extended.”

 

Majority are negative towards Harrogate Station Gateway, consultation reveals

The majority of people feel negatively towards the £10.9 million Harrogate Station Gateway scheme, the latest consultation has revealed.

The results, published today, reveal that of 1,320 people who replied to an online survey, 55% feel negatively, 39% positively and five per cent neutral. One per cent said they didn’t know.

A decision on whether to proceed with the scheme looks set to be made next month.

Although most people do not support it, and there is the threat of legal action from businesses opposed to the scheme, the councils backing the scheme may decide to proceed.

Don Mackenzie, executive member for access at North Yorkshire County Council, said a report would be sent to the council’s executive, probably next month, recommending what action to take.

But he said he was still to be persuaded that “an £11 million investment in the town centre needs to be turned away”.

Cllr Mackenzie said he didn’t envisage many changes if the scheme does proceed, although he suggested cycle storage and access to some businesses affected by the initiative could be amended.

He added the scheme acted on the wishes of the 2019 Harrogate Congestion Study, which 15,500 residents took part in and revealed strong support for better walking and cycling infrastructure, public transport and encouragement to leave cars at home when making short journeys and opposition to building a relief road.

The main concerns

This was the second round of consultation on the scheme, which aims to make the town centre more attractive and encourage cycling and walking.

The most contentious aspects are plans to reduce a section of Station Parade to single lane traffic, part-pedestrianise James Street and re-route some traffic off Cheltenham Parade into neighbouring streets.


Read more:


 

Don Mackenzie talking at the Harrogate District Chamber of Commerce meeting.

Many of those who responded positively to the consultation were motivated by benefits for walking and cycling, better use of public space and making the town centre a more attractive place for residents and visitors.

Most of those who responded negatively were concerned about the impact on traffic flows, congestion, air quality and local businesses, while some local householders expressed the view that vehicles would be diverted on to their residential streets.

Councillor Phil Ireland, Harrogate Borough Council’s cabinet member for carbon reduction and sustainability, said:

“This scheme offers a fantastic opportunity to secure the largest investment in to Harrogate town centre for 30 years, revitalising the town centre for the benefit of residents, visitors and businesses and ensuring that it is sustainable and can respond to changing consumer demands and expectations.

“The feedback provided during the course of both public consultations is really important to ensuring that we get the best scheme possible and I am grateful to everyone who took the time to respond.”

The full report on the findings of the Harrogate consultation, which ran from 18 October to 12 November, can be read here.

What is the Harrogate Station Gateway?

The Harrogate scheme is one of three projects worth a combined £42m in Harrogate, Skipton and Selby funded by the Leeds City Region Transforming Cities Fund, which encourages cycling and walking.

They are being delivered in partnership by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, North Yorkshire County Council, Harrogate Borough Council, Craven District Council and Selby District Council.

If the scheme goes ahead, work will begin by the middle of next year.

 

 

 

Harrogate Civic Society has ‘many concerns’ about Station Gateway

Harrogate Civic Society has called for the £10.9 million Station Gateway scheme to be totally reconsidered as consultation on the latest designs draws to a close.

The organisation, which protects Harrogate’s heritage, said it had “many concerns” about the initiative, which aims to make the town more attractive and improve cycling and walking.

Its submission to the consultation questioned whether the scheme, in its current form, would achieve its main aims and called for a rethink, even if it risked jeopardising funding.

It said:

“We have many concerns, including the absence of wider strategic thinking to address traffic flow; the risk of increased congestion if part of Station Parade is one lane; potential conflicts between the flow of pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles at crossing points; poor design proposals for Station Square, which do not reflect Harrogate’s distinctive character.

“We would prefer to see the whole proposal reconsidered, even though this may mean that Harrogate would lose the opportunity for improvement though this particular fund.

“Traffic and congestion is a problem in the town, the environment for pedestrians and cyclists must be improved, businesses in the town centre should be supported through infrastructure improvement, and the town centre should be a better place for those living in it but this scheme, in its present form, does not achieve this.”


Read more:


What is the Harrogate Station Gateway?

The Harrogate scheme is one of three projects worth a combined £42m in Harrogate, Skipton and Selby funded by the Leeds City Region Transforming Cities Fund, which encourages cycling and walking.

They are being delivered in partnership by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, North Yorkshire County Council, Harrogate Borough Council, Craven District Council and Selby District Council.

A consultation on the revised designs ends tomorrow. It is anticipated that work in Harrogate will begin by the middle of next year.

To take part in the online consultation, click here.