Harrogate Nightingale contract extended until March 2021

Harrogate’s Nightingale Hospital will remain in place until March 2021 after its contract has been extended

It comes after weeks of uncertainty after NHS bosses and Harrogate Borough Council negotiated for the hospital to remain in place until next year, but will review its need in October.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson last month announced £3 billion of funding for the Nightingale hospitals across the UK to be maintained until the end of March if needed.

The temporary hospital, which cost £15 million to build, has to yet to treat a single coronavirus patient but has been used as a facility for outpatient CT scans since early June. The NHS is not paying any rent to the council for use of the convention centre.

Now, the Nightingale will could remain in place for a further seven months amid fears of a second spike in coronavirus cases.

Paula Lorimer, director of Harrogate Convention Centre, said:

“We have agreed to the NHS’s request to extend the contract due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis, the challenge of the current level of infections and potential for a second peak.

“The convention centre will continue in its role as a Nightingale hospital until March 31 but this will be reviewed on October 1 to assess if there is an ongoing need for the hospital.

“The events industry remains in lockdown until at least October 1 and, if there is a further rise in infections, it is unlikely we will be able to reopen anyway.

“I look forward to welcoming back our customers from the April 1, 2021, at the latest when Harrogate Convention Centre and the Royal Hall will reopen.

“We are very proud to support the NHS and the response to Covid-19 but we continue to lobby government at every level for a post-Nightingale recovery plan for the venue, and the Harrogate district.”

Meanwhile, earlier today, Cllr Jim Clark, North Yorkshire County Council chairman, and Cllr Helen Hayden, chair of West Yorkshire Joint Health Scrutiny Committee, wrote to NHS England to request that Harrogate’s Nightingale is kept until next year.


Read more:


In a letter to Richard Barker, regional director at NHS England, the councillors call for the contract to be extended until April 2021 as it is needed to serve the Yorkshire area.

Inside of Harrogate's Nightingale Hospital

The convention centre is unable to plan ahead for future events whilst the future of the Nightingale is uncertain.

Cllr Clark and Cllr Hayden said they disagreed with “dismantling” the Nightingale amid the threat of a second wave of coronavirus.

They said:

“We know there is a view in some quarters that the Nightingale Hospital should be dismantled and that the building should revert to being a convention centre. 

“We disagree. The next seven or eight months, when we are likely to see a “second wave” of the virus, on top of a “normal” increase in demand from flu patients are likely to be very difficult. 

“We think it is very likely that the Nightingale Hospital at Harrogate will be needed either for covid-19 patients or for other patients who are unable to access beds in the other West Yorkshire hospitals (and beyond) because they are filled with covid-19 patients.

“We ask that the Nightingale Hospital remain as a resource for the health system until at least April 2021 as an important part of the strategy to see us through winter. 

“We also plan to include the Nightingale Hospital as an item on the agenda for our meeting on September 30 and we would welcome your attendance at the meeting to discuss the Nightingale Hospital with us.”

Council considers £47m redevelopment of Harrogate Convention Centre

Harrogate Borough Council is considering a major £46.8 million investment in the Harrogate Convention Centre.

The council will ask the cabinet next week to spend £1 million on detailed design and project work. The majority of that £1 million will be borrowed. It is unclear how the council will fund the full refurbishment.

Harrogate Convention Centre is now over 40 years old and the council has acknowledged that the infrastructure and equipment are both reaching the end of their useful life.

Council documents estimate that without investment, it would cost £19 million in long term maintenance costs and the “venue will not survive.”

It is also unclear when the project would start as the NHS has extended the Nightingale Hospital contract over the past few months.

The Prime Minister recently confirmed it could stay until March 2021, though no agreement has been reached with the NHS.


Read more:


The council is proposing to refurbish the conference centre, auditorium and two of the main halls. They also plan to divide the space known as Studio 2 to create “breakout facilities” for up to 1,850 delegates.

Plans also include “refreshing the look” of the outside of the building and improving access between internal spaces. To improve the centre’s energy costs the council also plans to improve the heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.

The second phase of the plans also proposes demolishing a part of the site to make way for a new 5,000 square metre events space. The report assumes a three year delay between the first and second phases.

The centre’s managers said they are moving away from focusing purely on exhibitions to include large national association conferences, attracting more than 500 delegates. They said this will increase the £35 million economic impact brought to the town by the venue.

Paula Lorimer, the director of Harrogate Convention Centre, said:

“Our exciting plans will reinvigorate and re-establish the convention centre. My ambition is for us to return to the top tier of conference and exhibition centres in the UK as we attract new – and bigger – events in the future. This will have a significant, positive, impact on the local economy.”

Harrogate NHS Nightingale contract extended until end of July

Harrogate Borough Council has extended the contract for the NHS Nightingale at the Harrogate Convention Centre until the end of July.

The HCC, which is owned by the council, was converted into Yorkshire and Humber NHS Nightingale in April in just a few weeks. It has a 500 bed capacity  – but so far has not treated seen a single covid patient. The NHS said recently that it was opening up its CT scanning facilities at the Nightingale for non-covid outpatient use.

The council confirmed this evening that the NHS had “taken up its option” for an extension until July 31st.

Beds inside the NHS Nightingale- ready for covid-19 patients that have never come


Read More: 


The NHS has not payed any rent to the council for the initial contract until June but ,in May, documents that went to a council cabinet meeting stated:

“The contract does not provide for rent to be paid during the NHS occupation up to the end of June, as no planned events were being held during this period. However, should the agreement be extended there is provision for compensation in the event of the cancellation of future events.”

Strayside Sunday: Harrogate needs to know about NHS Nightingale’s future

Strayside Sunday is our weekly political column written by Paul Baverstock, former Director of Communications for the Conservative Party:

In the days after Boris Johnson introduced lockdown on March 24th, I wrote in the Yorkshire Post and Stray Ferret in praise of the Prime Minister’s leadership and in praise of the substance and effectiveness of government communication at the time. 11 weeks later the PM’S moral leadership is under threat and the Government’s initial clarity of communication has been lost.

This week, hot on the heels of the credibility-sapping Cummings affair, the government has asked for, and succeeded in bringing, all members from every constituency in the land back to parliament.  Observing social distancing requirements, it took MPs 90 minutes to make their way through the queue to vote for a measure that disenfranchises any MP with an underlying health condition, or who is isolated for family reasons. This cannot be sustainable.

As parliament will soon be rehoused to make way for the pending multi-billion renovation of the Palace of Westminster, the Government should have grasped the opportunity for a continued virtual parliament, embracing technology in circumstances that make it both possible and advisable: Saving money for the taxpayer; repatriating MP’s to spend more time in their constituencies; closer and more accountable to the people they represent.  Little wonder that Harrogate and Ripon’s own ‘virtual’ MPs, Andrew Jones and Julian Smith, both voted to return to Westminster.

Now that both MPs are back in the capital, perhaps they could ask ministers for urgent clarification about the future of Harrogate’s Nightingale Hospital, thankfully under-utilised for covid cases, which, from Friday past, was being used to provide CT scans for non-covid patients. In the “Before Times” Harrogate relied greatly on the income from conferences and attendees.

The NHS’s contract to use the Convention Centre ends on June 30th.  Given the centrality of the centre to Harrogate’s economic future we need urgent information from the council about the plans for it. It may well be that the Department of Health and Social Care is hedging specialist beds capacity against a covid ‘second wave’ spike. It might just be that a decision is pending. Either way, any plan to get the town’s economy back on its feet needs the Convention Centre convening again, not least to generate some proportion of the £57m economic benefit it claimed to bring to the town in 2017/18.  Even the public acknowledgement of uncertainty by Harrogate Borough Councillors Cooper and Swift is better communication than saying nothing at all and signals to the local business community that they need to make contingent plans for a much straitened economic future.

No political column this week can fail to mention the killing of George Floyd.  As of writing, the charge against Minneapolis policemen, Derek Chauvin, has been elevated to second-degree murder and the other three officers face counts of aiding and abetting murder. Mr Floyd’s death was caught on video and, thanks to social media ‘shares,’ has now been seen by millions around the globe.

On Tuesday, activists asked us all to post a “Blackout Tuesday” black disc in place of our social media profile pictures and asked that we spend our time understanding how to combat the innate and institutionalised racism that the organisers say we are all guilty of, because we were born into white privilege.  While it is undeniable that the good and, let’s face it, mostly white burghers of genteel Harrogate cannot in any way appreciate the lived experience of an urban black Minnesotan, to extrapolate from that to a blanket charge of racism is wrong headed and dangerous.

Which is a clue for those of you who’ve asked why I won’t participate in discussion on social media.  A battle of ideas fought on social media can’t possibly have the space, tolerance and reasoned discourse needed if we are to bottom out loaded subjects like race and make progress toward real equality together.

I don’t believe it is possible or even wise to attempt to substantiate reason and complexity in 280 characters or, as Twitter says ‘less’ (when of course it should say ‘fewer’).  Titbits of virtue signalling, local bores, selfie whores, moaners and the ‘let’s all pile on kicking of those who made mistakes years ago, in contexts long forgotten’, are not of interest and gladden neither heart nor soul.

I celebrate the power of social media to reveal acts of criminal violence such as the killing of George Floyd but I also denigrate its dumbing down and silencing of real public discourse.

Some things are as simple as black and white; it’s just that most things are not.  Things in the public realm are and should be difficult. Reaching agreement and achieving compromise asks the best of us, while, IMHO (sigh), social media amplifies the worst.

That’s my Strayside Sunday.

Harrogate’s Nightingale Hospital will open for CT scans

NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and the Humber will offer CT scans to some patients from June 4.

The temporary hospital has been on standby since its launch in April. This will be the first time that the facility will offer appointments.

It is equipped with clinical imaging equipment, which means it can also support the NHS in its recovery phase. When it opens, the hospital will provide outpatient appointments seven days a week for patients with radiology referrals.

The service is for patients who are well and mobile and it will provide a combination of diagnostic scans and surveillance scans, which are used to monitor patients with a prior diagnosis of a medical condition.


Read more on this story


Steve Russell, Chief Executive of NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and the Humber and Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, said:

“A number of NHS services have been significantly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic as hospitals have had to prioritise the care of patients with the virus. The measures taken to introduce social distancing and manage hospital demand have meant that we’ve not yet needed to use the NHS Nightingale Hospital for its original intended purpose. We’ve therefore taken the decision to utilise the equipment and begin offering CT scans at the facility so that we can get patients seen quickly.”

Every patient who attends the facility will be screened before their appointment to check that they don’t have the symptoms of Covid-19 and appointments will only be offered to those who are neither isolating, nor shielding.

Patients with additional needs, such as those who require interpreting services or patient transport, will continue to be seen at their local hospital to guarantee their specific needs can be met.

Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital officially opened by fundraising army veteran

The Nightingale hospital being created at Harrogate Convention Centre will be officially opened today, with three high profile names set to take part in the ceremony.

Captain Tom Moore, the veteran who has raised more than £27m for NHS Charities Together, will join Health Secretary Matt Hancock and NHS chief executive Simon Stevens via video link this afternoon.

One of seven of its kind around the country, NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber has been constructed in less than three weeks and will offer 500 beds for coronavirus patients should existing local services be unable to meet demand.

NHS England says it has already freed up 33,000 additional beds and, in an unprecedented deal, has access to 8,000 beds through the independent healthcare sector. As a result, it says, capacity still exists in hospitals but Nightingale hospitals will be ready to take patients if needed.

The opening of the NHS Nightingale in Harrogate

Staff pose for photos at the official opening of the NHS Nightingale hospital in Harrogate

Steve Russell, chief executive of NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and The Humber, and of Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust, said: “This new NHS Nightingale Hospital – like the others across the country – is an extraordinary achievement, and provides local people and staff with the reassurance that there will be additional beds available if they are required. It is a vital insurance policy, which we hope will not be needed.

“Our doctors, nurses, therapists and other health and social care staff across Yorkshire and the Humber are working incredibly hard to make sure people get the care they need during what is the single greatest challenge in the history of the NHS, but they can’t do it alone. The most important thing remains for the public to continue to follow expert advice and stay at home – reducing the number of people who get the virus, and therefore the need for NHS treatment.”

The huge effort by NHS staff, members of the armed forces and the team at Harrogate Convention Centre was praised by Mr Hancock. He said:

 “I have been incredibly impressed by the sheer dedication, professionalism and altruism of everyone involved in setting up NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and The Humber – from the NHS clinical staff and engineers to the construction workers and military planners.

“It’s an honour to be asked to open this hospital alongside Captain Tom Moore. During this worrying and difficult time for our whole country his phenomenal achievement has reminded us of our common bonds and served to further unite us. My heartfelt thanks also goes out to all the staff who will be working on the ground, providing extra capacity for patients if local hospitals need it.”

 

More:

Fundraising Army veteran will be guest of honour at official opening of Harrogate’s Nightingale hospital

The war veteran who has raised almost £25m for the NHS is set to be the guest of honour at the official opening of Harrogate’s Nightingale Hospital next week.

Originally from Keighley, Captain Tom Moore – who hit headlines after walking 100 laps of his garden before his 100th birthday – will be part of the ceremony via video link from his home on Tuesday.

Money continues to pour in to his fundraising page, and Captain Moore – who served in India and the Burma campaign during the Second World War – is still walking after hitting his target of 100 laps earlier this week.

He said: “I am still amazed by the amount of kindness and generosity from the UK public who continue to give despite it being an uncertain time for many.

“I think the amount raised demonstrates just how much we all value the dedication and sacrifices made by our NHS workers. I have fought during a war and they are now fighting in a war too.

“I’m honoured to be opening the NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and Humber and to get to thank many of the NHS workers directly. I know that having extra beds available for the sick, if needed will be reassuring to those workers, as it would have been to me when I was on the frontline.”

NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and the Humber, Harrogate

The NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber has been set up at Harrogate Convention Centre in less than three weeks. Staff from the centre worked alongside the Army, NHS and private businesses to complete the transformation, and tributes have been paid to their work in two videos – one featuring a host of celebrities, the other people with links to the town.

Sir Simon Stevens, NHS chief executive, added: “Inviting Captain Moore to be our guest of honour at the opening of NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and Humber is the least we can do to thank him for his inspiring service and example, and no doubt there will be further ways in which we will be able to express our gratitude.

“Just like the amazing campaign Captain Moore has inspired, the Nightingales are a symbol of how people have come together as part of a nationwide effort to prepare – should they be needed now or in the months to come – for the greatest global health emergency in more than a century.”

The seven Nightingale hospitals around the country offer extra capacity on top of the 33,000 additional beds freed up across NHS hospitals – the equivalent of building 50 district general hospitals – and up to 8,000 beds made available through an unprecedented deal with the independent sector.

Sir Simon said he hoped the temporary hospitals could be used as little as possible, but would be standing by if other services reached capacity.