Boris Johnson welcomes first event back at Harrogate Convention Centre

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has welcomed news that the Harrogate Convention Centre has held its first events after being used as a Nightingale Hospital.

The Home and Gift Buyers’ Festival and the Manchester Furniture Show finished yesterday. Organisers said the four-day events attracted more than 10,000 visitors and had a projected economic impact of £750,000.

They were part of a government pilot scheme to gather evidence on the covid risks of holding large scale events safely.

All of those who attended had to provide proof of either having had two vaccinations at least a fortnight prior to the event or a negative lateral flow test within 48 hours.

They did not need to wear masks or observe social distancing rules, which were still in place across the UK for the first day of the event.

In a letter of support to Harrogate Convention Centre, Mr Johnson, said:

“The Harrogate Convention Centre is a great asset to the local economy, and I am so glad to hear that it is now back and ready to take part in the Events Research Programme pilot.

“The past year has been an immense challenge for the whole country and now, with the aid of events like this, we will all be one step closer to normality.”

Paula Lorimer, director at Harrogate Convention Centre, said:

“We’ve been waiting a long time to open venue doors and give people the opportunity to meet, network and do business.

“We were particularly delighted that it was the Home and Gift Show as our first major event, as it celebrates 60 years in Harrogate — it’s a real Harrogate success story.”


Read more:


Ms Lorimer added the convention centre has more than £15m of economic impact on its books between now and March.

Gemma Rio, head of destination management at Harrogate Borough Council, said:

“It was fantastic to see the buzz at Harrogate Convention Centre and across the town over the past few days.

“These two events, along with other recent events such as the Great Yorkshire Show are significant first steps in the event industries recovery.”

Harrogate Convention Centre to reopen on June 26

Harrogate Convention Centre is set to re-open on 21 June when government guidelines permit.

Paula Lorimer, director of the centre, which has operated as a Nightingale hospital for the past year, said she was confident the venue would be ready to re-open by that date.

All restrictions on social distancing are due to be lifted on June 21.

Ms Lorimer said:

“Discussions with colleagues from the NHS about their plans for returning the Harrogate Convention Centre to us are on-going.

“However, we are confident that the venue will reopen from 21 June in-line with government restrictions ending.

“We have more than 30 confirmed events planned between June and next March, and a further 56 provisional events in the diary that we hope to confirm in due course.

“We also have more than 115 events confirmed and provisionally booked in the Royal Hall over the same period.”

The convention centre website currently lists events from May 6 in the ‘What’s On’ but says the dates are to be confirmed.

The first events listed after June 21 are Harrogate Proms on June 26 and Harrogate International Nursery Fair on June 27 to 29.

Ms Lorimer added that conferences, exhibitions and events had been “one of the most severely hit during the pandemic” but the industry would be back soon.

The loss-making convention centre is due to undergo a £47 million redevelopment amid concerns it will not survive without it.

Harrogate Borough Council has awarded Dutch firm Arcadis a £1.1 million contract to design plans for the first phase of the redevelopment.


Read more: