A further 40 people have tested positive for covid-19 in the Harrogate district since yesterday.
It brings the total number of cases with positive tests in the district to 1,598 since the start of the outbreak.
There have been no deaths of patients with coronavirus at Harrogate District Hospital since September 29, with the total during the pandemic standing at 83.
One further person was this week reported to have died in a care home in the district after being diagnosed with the virus.
Read more:
- Permanent covid testing site to open in Harrogate next week
- Police consider ‘covid cars’ as part of enforcement
The latest statistics show Harrogate has the highest rate of infections in the seven districts in North Yorkshire.
Latest weekly figures showed 154 cases per 100,000 people in the district. This compares with 151 in Selby, 147 in Craven and 138 in Hambleton. Richmondshire recorded 104, Scarborough had 94 and Ryedale 89.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told the House of Commons this week the government would consider a district-by-district approach to its new tier system.
Today, the government announced Lancashire would be placed in the highest tier of restrictions – but remains in dispute with the leaders of Greater Manchester over introducing further limitations there.
Dr Lincoln Sargeant, director of public health for North Yorkshire, said the main cause of spread of coronavirus in the county was between households.
He said he supported the new tier system as it would help to tackle the spread in the county, but said there were “very few instances” of infection in hospitality.
Hotel closes after staff test positive for coronavirusA hotel on the outskirts of Harrogate has closed its doors after two members of staff tested positive for covid-19.
Nidd Hall Hotel, which sits between Ripley and Brearton, closed on Tuesday afternoon and sent its guests home.
Mark Middleton, from Stafford, was staying at the hotel with his partner when he was told they would have to leave. Although he praised the staff for the way they handled it and the help they offered, Mr Middleton said after leaving the hotel he had been unable to get confirmation of whether anyone had received a positive test result.
He said:
“We both work and need to get in touch with our employer to see if we need to be tested or self isolate.”
The hotel has confirmed to the Stray Ferret that two members of staff received positive test results. It said all guests were offered the opportunity to re-book or receive a refund.
Read more:
- Three more Harrogate schools report confirmed covid cases
- District MPs decline to comment on ‘broken’ covid testing system
A spokesperson for Nidd Hall Hotel said:
Harrogate sports centre deep clean after coronavirus case“We have chosen to temporarily close the hotel after two team members tested positive for covid-19. This is a proactive and precautionary measure, with health regulators confirming the hotel could continue operation due to our extensive protocols covering hygiene, social distancing and PPE.
“No guests are currently at the hotel and we are scheduled to reopen during the course of next week. The majority of guests who were due to visit in the coming days have rebooked to stay at other Warner Leisure Hotels or have chosen alternative dates to visit Nidd Hall, while a small number have opted to receive a full refund in line with Warner Leisure Hotels’ Coronavirus Guarantee policy.
“Warner Leisure Hotels operates to highest standards in reducing risk from covid-19 to ensure our guests feel safe and secure and have the confidence to enjoy their stay at all times.”
Harrogate Sport and Fitness Centre has reopened today after one of its members tested positive for coronavirus.
The centre on Hookstone Wood Road was forced to close this morning for a deep clean. The council and department of health gave it the green light to open at 12pm.
James Gaston, general manager at the centre, said:
“Thank you for your understanding and apologies for any inconvenience. We want to keep your club as safe as we possibly can.”
Read more:
He urged people who went to the gym on Friday to get a test and inform them of the results.
The fitness centre has a gym, four squash courts, a dance and fitness studio, two boules courts and a bar with balcony available for hire.
It follows the news that The Navigation Inn in Ripon closed after one of its customers reported a positive coronavirus test.