A developer has withdrawn plans to convert Harrogate’s former main post office into 11 flats.
The Post Office on Cambridge Road controversially relocated to WH Smith in 2019 amid claims by Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones the service was being “downgraded”. The building has stood empty since.
In November 2020, Harrogate-based developer One Acre Group submitted plans for 25 apartments and offices on the site but withdrew the application last year.
Its plans had been welcomed by conservation group Harrogate Civic Society although it was concerned about a proposal to build an additional floor.
Fresh plans to convert the building into 11 flats were tabled by Leeds-based Priestley Group to Harrogate Borough Council in June this year.
However, the proposal has now been withdrawn.
A planning statement attached to the application said:
“The proposed development will secure the active re-use of this longstanding vacant building with an entirely appropriate mix of uses within a town centre location that will enhance the general appearance of the building with resultant benefits for the wider street scene and conservation area as a whole.”
Read more:
- How Harrogate objections have halted Leeds conference venue – for now
- Historic footage of Harrogate and Knaresborough to be shown at Odeon
Starbeck groups call truce and promise to work ‘positively together’
Two rival community groups in Starbeck have called a truce and are promising to work together.
Starbeck Residents Association, chaired by Chris Watt, was formed in the 1990s and awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.
Starbeck Community Group was launched by Starbeck Post Office owner Andrew Hart in 2020 and has been involved in several local campaigns including painting a giant Ukraine flag on the former McColl’s supermarket building.
But the group’s two leaders have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.
In May this year, Mr Hart then said it was “an insult to the community” that Labour Party member Mr Watt was standing for a political party in local elections and called on him to step down from his role as chair.
There have also been unpleasant comments on social media.
Read more:
Mr Watt, alongside SRA secretary Geoff Foxhall, met Mr Hart and SCG member Lucky Hubbard over the weekend and they agreed to put their differences aside and work together.
Mr Watt and Mr Hart issued a joint statement that said “public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck”.
The statement said:
Thieves steal cash and stamps from Birstwith post office“Starbeck is a wonderful area, where we are proud to live and work. The Starbeck Residents’ Association and Starbeck Community Group have been working hard, in our respective ways, to support the area. We complement the many other groups and organisations who put so much into Starbeck and we are proud to support them as well.
“For the good of our area, it is important that we work together. Public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck among people who live here and are considering moving to or investing in our area. It also discourages people from contributing their time and energy into local groups and organisations.
“For the good of Starbeck, we are promising to work constructively and positively together.”
North Yorkshire Police is investigating a burglary at a rural post office in Nidderdale.
Thieves entered the Dales Stores Post Office in Birstwith at nine minutes past midnight on Friday (August 5).
The suspects smashed two panes of glass on the front door and stole cash and a large amount of stamps with a high value.
A North Yorkshire Police statement added:
“Officers are asking members of the public to get in touch if they have any information, saw anything suspicious or can identify the person recorded on CCTV.
“In particular, offices are asking local residents if they have any CCTV or dash cam footage of vehicles in the area at the time of the burglary.
“Anyone with any information is asked to email leah.fitzsimons@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for PC 950 Fitzsimons.
“If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Please quote reference number 12220137553 when passing on information.”
Read more:
- Harrogate mental health crisis team remains in Ripon
- Ripon’s Jack Laugher wins second gold medal at Commonwealth Games
New plans to convert Harrogate’s former post office
Plans have been submitted to convert Harrogate’s former post office on Cambridge Street into 11 apartments and retail space.
The Post Office controversially relocated to WH Smith in 2019 amid claims by Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones the service was being “downgraded”. The building has stood empty since.
In November 2020, Harrogate-based developer One Acre Group submitted plans for 25 apartments and offices in the building but withdrew the application last year.
The former plans were welcomed by conservation group Harrogate Civic Society although it was concerned about a proposal to build an additional floor.
Read more:
- Police anti-social driving clampdown makes 10 arrests in Harrogate district
- Fears more Harrogate schools could follow in footsteps of closure-threatened Woodfield primary
The new scheme, which was submitted to Harrogate Borough Council this week, will keep part of the ground floor that faces Cambridge Street as a retail or commercial space.
The apartments would have either one or two bedrooms.
The building is still owned by the Post Office but this time the application has been submitted by Leeds-based property firm Priestley Group.
A planning statement attached to the application says:
“The proposed development will secure the active re-use of this longstanding vacant building with an entirely appropriate mix of uses within a town centre location that will enhance the general appearance of the building with resultant benefits for the wider streetscene and conservation area as a whole.”
Starbeck shows support for Ukraine with giant painted flag
A group of Prince of Wales pub regulars have shown their support for Ukraine by painting the country’s flag on the side of a derelict supermarket in Starbeck.
The idea came from Starbeck Community Group’s Lucky Hubbard and pub landlady Alyson Griffiths. They wanted to show Starbeck is behind the war-torn country whilst at the same time tidying up the former McColl’s supermarket that was ravaged by fire in 2018.
Within hours, a group of drinkers at The Prince of Wales had volunteered their time and they have been there from 5am to 7am for the last few mornings painting the blue and yellow flag before they go to work.
The group of painters included John Kean, David Stead, Colin Shiel, Nick Mills and John Read.

It still has doves of peace and sunflowers that will be added next week as well as six new planters and hanging baskets donated by Starbeck Post Office.
Farball Coatings donated £500 worth of paint and Jewson donated the timber.
Read more:
- Vandals smash shop and car windows and bus shelter in Starbeck
- Starbeck nurses to embark on mammoth charity cycle ride
Ms Hubbard said:
“The difference is unbelievable. It looks a lot cleaner and tidier.”
Andrew Hart, who set up Starbeck Community Group and owns the post office, said he has been in contact with the landlord of the building who was very supportive of the flag being painted.
He added:
“We wanted to show solidarity with the Ukrainian people during this terrible situation.”

A Starbeck knitting group has decorated this post box with the Ukraine flag.
Two Harrogate businesses have raised over £1,000 for a six-year-old Bilton boy with a rare bone marrow disorder— and the cheque was presented to his family by Marvel superhero Iron Man.
Doors Direct and The Red Box post office in Bilton have been raising money over the last year for Archie Flintoft, a five-year-old boy who has Diamond-Blackfan anemia.
The condition means his bone marrow doesn’t create the red blood cells he needs to survive.
Only 1,000 people worldwide have the condition and Archie needs to go to Leeds General Infirmary for blood transfusions every three weeks just to stay alive. He also has to travel to London for a special check-up two or three times a year.
Two years ago mum Vicky set up a Facebook group called Archie’s Army, where followers can keep up with what Archie’s doing and support fundraising projects that pay for his specialist care. But since covid, it’s been difficult to raise money.
Read more:
-
Appeal launched for Bilton boy Archie’s life-saving treatment
-
Starbeck and Bilton post offices raise almost £2,000 for local boy
Sean Clarke, managing director of Doors Direct, dressed as Iron Man to pay tribute to Archie’s bravery and hand over the cheque. Alongside was Andrew Hart from the post office.
Archie was also given an Iron Man costume of his own to wear.

Iron Man with Archie.
Archie’s Army thanked the two businesses on Facebook:
“Doors Direct and Andrew and the team at The Red Box have worked so hard this past year fundraising and supporting Archie’s Army and their latest raffle fundraiser raised a further £1,044 for us.
“We can’t thank them enough for everything they have done from fundraising, raising the profile of Archie’s Army (particularly after being quiet over covid) and the amazing care and support they’ve shown for the whole family, we are very blessed. Thank you all!”.
New Post Office opens in Ripon
A new Post Office has opened in the Costcutter store on Elm Road in Ripon.
The new branch, which opened on Friday, It open from 7am to 10pm, seven days a week.
It is the fourth Post Office in Ripon, which also has branches on Bondgate, Clotherholme Road and in The Arcade.
Customers will be able to post letters and parcels as well as pay bills, withdraw cash, return online shopping items and order travel money.
A press release by Post Office said the new branch was “part of an exciting modernisation and investment programme taking place across the Post Office network”.
Ian Murphy, Post Office network provision lead, said:
“We want to make it as easy as possible for customers to pay their bills, withdraw cash from their bank accounts, and send and collect their mail at a time and place that suits them best.
“We know how important our services are to customers, and we are confident that this brand-new Post Office alongside the Bondgate branch will ensure that people in this area of Ripon have easy access to our services.”
Read more:
- £5,000 grants available to schools and parish councils
- Ripon Arcade signs contract on final two units
Starbeck and Bilton post offices raise almost £2,000 for local boy
The Red Box post offices in Starbeck and Bilton have raised £1,980 for a five-year-old Harrogate boy with an incurable blood condition.
Archie Flintoft has Diamond-Blackfan anemia, which means his bone marrow doesn’t create the red blood cells he needs to survive.
Only 1,000 people worldwide have the condition and Archie needs to go to Leeds General Infirmary for blood transfusions every three weeks just to stay alive. He also has to travel to London for a special check-up two or three times a year.
Two years ago mum Vicky set up a Facebook group called Archie’s Army, where followers can keep up with what Archie’s doing and support fundraising projects that pay for his specialist care. But since covid it’s been difficult to raise money.
The Red Box launched an appeal for funds this year and visitors to the two post offices have donated £760, which was matched by The Red Box. Post Office Ltd also donated £200.
Andrew Hart, who owns The Red Box, said:
“Archie is a bright and vibrant child who, when feeling well, does not let life get him down. He is a huge fan of super heroes, and would love to become one when he grows up! To those who know and love him, he already is.”
Read more:
- Appeal launched for Bilton boy Archie’s life-saving treatment
- Knaresborough family determined to ‘leave a legacy’ for baby daughter
The Red Box has now started a grand Christmas raffle in conjunction with Doors Direct, which hopes to raise a further £5,000 for Archie. First prize is a 50” Smart TV.
Tickets are available from tomorrow at both post offices and online.
Goldsborough postmaster awarded for 30 years serviceGillian Waller has worked as the Goldsborough Postmaster for 30 years, offering a much-needed service from her front hall.
Ms Waller was awarded the long service award by the Post Office this week.
She took on the branch in 1990 whilst expecting her first child saying it gave her the chance to work from home whilst still meeting new people.
The Goldsborough Post Office was originally set up in Ms Waller’s front hall with a bell so Ms Waller knows when a customer has arrived. She said:
“There were no computers back then and the services were mainly pension books and the odd postal order. When we needed to introduce a computer, we adapted what used to be an old coal shed to accommodate the Post Office.”
“It has meant that I could continue working from home when I had my children and I was able to fit the day around their school.”
Read more:
- Ripon Men’s Shed opens door to new friendships
- Knaresborough men trek 900 miles in wheelchair and on foot to raise £2m
Over the years the Post Office has changed dramatically. The branch now offers banking services, which is popular with the local community as it means customers do not have to travel far for essential services.
Ms Waller now knows many of the regular customers by name. She said she enjoyed being able to help her local community including the elderly to access their banks.
Post Office Area Manager, Dawn Pentry, said:
“We wanted to recognise Gillian long and loyal service to the Goldsborough community. Her Post Office is at the heart of the village.
The Post Office, on Station Road, is open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9am – 1pm.
Plans to convert former Harrogate post office into apartments withdrawnAmbitious plans to transform Harrogate’s former post office into 25 apartments plus offices have been withdrawn.
The proposal, which was submitted by property developer One Acre Group, would have seen the disused post office on Cambridge Road converted and extended.
The post office controversially relocated to WH Smith in 2019 amid claims by Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones the service was being “downgraded”.
In October, developers lodged plans that would have seen the building, which was still owned by Post Office Ltd, converted to include one-bedroom and studio apartments as well as commercial space.
Read More:
- Bid to turn former Post Office in Harrogate town centre into 25 flats and offices
- Civic Society opposes bid to convert Harrogate’s former post office
However, the application has now been withdrawn.
The Stray Ferret approached ELG Planning, the agent working on behalf of One Acre Group, to ask why the plans were withdrawn but did not receive a response by the time of publication.
Harrogate Civic Society said in October it welcomed the principle of redeveloping the site.
However, it added:
“We are, however, concerned about the impact of an additional floor to this building in the conservation area, as the proposal does not address the whole of the building as originally designed.
“The appearance of the new floor results in a design solution which is not fully considered or refined and therefore does not enhance the existing roofscape in its present form.”