More than double the number of people expected turned up to help tidy up Starbeck in the pouring rain this morning.
The volunteers were part of UK’s The Big Help Out which encouraged people to try some voluntary work on the third day of The King’s Coronation celebrations.
Starbeck’s community rose to the occasion and this morning, despite the weather, a small army of more than 100 people turned up at St Andrew’s Church to help out – some doing some pretty tough jobs.
The event was supported by the Starbeck Residents Association, Starbeck in Bloom, Starbeck Lights and the church.

The Starbeck volunteers
Adrienne Amos, one of the organisers, told the Stray Ferret that plans had begun back in January:
“Once the new year had started we realised that it was going to come around very quickly. Phil our vicar offered the church as a hub and we know that lots of people in Starbeck are very community minded.
“We met all the different groups and decided that the easiest thing to do was to simplify it so we have gardeners who are edging and weeding, we have got street furniture cleaners and litter pickers.”

The Lancaster family, mum Sarah, dad Phil and Nina 13, Sol 12 and Reuben 9 all came along to help – their designated task was to litter pick along Spa Lane.
Sarah said:
“You can just put a little bit into the community to improve it and do some good in the world and it is good for the soul – it doesn’t matter where you live, you can put something back.”
Reuben, who is a local cub, told the Stray Ferret that he didn’t mind being dragged out on a wet Monday “it’s good for the environment” he said.
Edging the pathway seemed to be the toughest job on offer. Ben Nichols, one of those braving a bad back tomorrow said the King’s event had pushed him into doing something he’d been meaning to do for ages:
“This is my first time volunteering properly. I’ve been wanting to do it for a really long time. It was that final little push- everyone is getting involved and there are more things going on. It’s a nicer way to get everyone involved.”

One of the organisers, Neil Holmes, cleaning some street furniture
Valley Gardens, Harrogate
Across Harrogate, in Valley Gardens, Harrogate and District Community Action (HADCA) had set up a stall with leaflets of information and advice on where to get involved – the organisation has a volunteer directory on its website.
Karen Weaver, from HADCA (pictured below) said:
“We’re here as part of The Big Help Out, and it’s all about getting people to think about what you can do in your community. It doesn’t have to be a regular commitment, it can be one-off. There are all sort of possibilities – our online directory has more than 200 opportunities to get involved in the district so there is something for everyone whatever your interest.”


Community Fit’s Anna Gazier (L) and Lisa Tilburn who work with HADCA had been litter picking

The Harrogate District Soroptimists took part of today’s Big Help Out by holding a tombola tent in Valley Gardens to raise money for local young carers.
Oatlands
A free barbecue, drinks, children’s crafts, face paints and coronation cakes helped the community in Oatlands celebrate the Big Help Out.
Organised by volunteers from Oatlands Community Group, the event helped to highlight the facilities on offer at the community centre and the activities it hosts on a regular basis.
From community meals for people living along to baby bundle evenings packing up donations to the special care baby unit at Harrogate District Hospital, the venue is used for events throughout the month – along with private hire for birthday parties and more.
Today proved popular with locals, with dozens of families visiting this afternoon.
Organiser Vic Smith-Dunn said:
“It has been really great. We’re fortunate we could do a lot of it indoors and the barbecue was under the gazebo, so the rain didn’t matter.
“I was worried people would stay away because of the weather but they haven’t. It has been a lovely afternoon.”


Starbeck is to have two Remembrance Sunday events this year at 11am and 3pm amid a disagreement over the best time to honour the war dead.
A remembrance service traditionally takes place at 3pm at the war memorial on Starbeck High Street.
The afternoon time enables local veterans, dignitaries and anyone else wishing to pay their respects to do so first at the large morning parade in Harrogate town centre.
But some people feel Starbeck should follow the rest of the country by honouring the fallen at 11am.
Last year some residents observed a two-minute silence at the war memorial at 11am — and they intend to do so again this year, even though the afternoon service will go ahead as usual.
Starbeck Residents Association has taken over the running of the afternoon service and lead organiser Andy Dennis said this year’s event, on November 13, would be Starbeck’s official event marking Remembrance Sunday. He said:
“I want to be clear with this, as a local group held an unofficial service at 11am last year and this poorly attended event was projected in some quarters as the community’s response to remembrance.
“The 3pm service is always well supported by the community, it is held at this time to allow dignitaries such as the MP and councillors to attend the Harrogate service at 11am and the the Starbeck service later.”
Read more:
- Firefighters and councillors make calls to improve Starbeck crossing
- Starbeck special needs school rated ‘good’ by Ofsted
Starbeck resident Lucky Hubbard said she was one of about 30 people who observed last year’s 11am silence and she intends to do so again this year. Some, including herself, will attend both gatherings. She said:
“I’m an ex-army wife so Remembrance Sunday has always been a big thing to me, and it’s always been at 11am.
“We are not saying don’t go at 3pm — we just want to pay our respects at 11am.”

Ms Hubbard runs a Starbeck knitting group called Knitwits, which decorated local landmarks with poppies last year. This year it is knitting 2,000 poppies to go on the side of St Andrew’s Church (pictured).
She is also involved with a fundraising event for the Yorkshire Trench project on Saturday, November 12, as well as a veterans’ breakfast after the Sunday morning two-minute silence.
Some of those supporting the morning silence are involved with Starbeck Community Group, which has had an uneasy relationship with Starbeck Residents Association in recent years.
Ms Hubbard said:
“It’s a shame that this spat keeps rearing its ugly head.”
Starbeck groups call truce and promise to work ‘positively together’
Two rival community groups in Starbeck have called a truce and are promising to work together.
Starbeck Residents Association, chaired by Chris Watt, was formed in the 1990s and awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.
Starbeck Community Group was launched by Starbeck Post Office owner Andrew Hart in 2020 and has been involved in several local campaigns including painting a giant Ukraine flag on the former McColl’s supermarket building.
But the group’s two leaders have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.
In May this year, Mr Hart then said it was “an insult to the community” that Labour Party member Mr Watt was standing for a political party in local elections and called on him to step down from his role as chair.
There have also been unpleasant comments on social media.
Read more:
Mr Watt, alongside SRA secretary Geoff Foxhall, met Mr Hart and SCG member Lucky Hubbard over the weekend and they agreed to put their differences aside and work together.
Mr Watt and Mr Hart issued a joint statement that said “public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck”.
The statement said:
Starbeck feud boils over after residents’ group chair stands for Labour“Starbeck is a wonderful area, where we are proud to live and work. The Starbeck Residents’ Association and Starbeck Community Group have been working hard, in our respective ways, to support the area. We complement the many other groups and organisations who put so much into Starbeck and we are proud to support them as well.
“For the good of our area, it is important that we work together. Public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck among people who live here and are considering moving to or investing in our area. It also discourages people from contributing their time and energy into local groups and organisations.
“For the good of Starbeck, we are promising to work constructively and positively together.”
A feud between the owner of Starbeck Post Office and the chair of Starbeck Residents Association has boiled over after the latter decided to stand for the Labour Party in the upcoming local elections.
Voters will head to the polls on May 5 to elect councillors to the new North Yorkshire Council.
This week, Chris Watt was announced as the Labour candidate for the newly created ward of Fairfax and Starbeck.
Mr Watt is also the elected chair of the SRA, which awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.
However, Andrew Hart, who owns the local post office, believes the resident association’s constitution forbids political allegiances.
He claims Mr Watt is using his position as chair as a means of promoting his political platform and profile, which Mr Watt denies.

Mr Watt (centre) campaigning for Labour last month. Credit: Harrogate & Knaresborough Labour Party
The two have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.
Mr Hart set up a rival group called Starbeck Community Group, in part due to what he thinks are the failings of Starbeck Residents’ Association.
Read more:
- Starbeck shows support for Ukraine with giant painted flag
- Ex-chairman of Starbeck Bowling Club admits stealing £3,334
Mr Hart said it was “an insult to the community” that Mr Watt was standing for a political party and called on him to step down from his role as chair.
He said:
“Last summer I asked Chris Watt several times if he would be standing for Labour in these elections, he refused to answer. At the SRA AGM I asked him again but he refused to answer in public. I stated that it was against the constitution, it was also morally wrong and not transparent as he was already a political officer for the Labour Party.
“The very least he should do is explain why he would not admit he wanted to stand at the AGM when he was repeatedly asked and how can he justify canvassing whilst he is supposed to be the impartial chair of the SRA.
“He must resign now and seek re-election if he fails to become a county councillor. This has nothing to do with political allegiances it is about transparency and clear rules.”
‘I want to give something back’
In response, Mr Watt said:
Starbeck schoolchildren highlight air pollution dangers of idle engines“I love living in Starbeck so want to give something back to our local community. I’m proud to serve as chair of the Starbeck Residents’ Association and work in partnership with local people in the best interests of our area, regardless of their political affiliation.
“I’ve never made any secret of my campaigning work with the local Labour Party. It was raised at the Starbeck Residents’ Association AGM and I was pleased to be elected overwhelmingly by over 80 local people with only two people voting against me.
“I am doing my best to repay the trust that local people placed in me and would be honoured to serve them further as their local councillor.”
Children from Starbeck Primary Academy were at Starbeck level crossing this morning armed with placards asking motorists to turn their engines off.
An idling engine can produce up to twice as many exhaust emissions as an engine in motion, with air pollution known to harm children’s growing lungs.
At Starbeck crossing, the barriers are activated several times an hour to let trains pass. With queues of traffic on both sides of the crossing a regular sight, it is a notorious air pollution hotspot.
Today’s campaign was organised by the school and Starbeck Residents Association.
Darren Leeming, who has two children at the school and is on the SRA committee said “there are no excuses” for motorists not to turn their engines off whilst they waited.
He said:
“The barriers go down and people don’t turn their engines off. Air pollution goes into children’s lungs. A lot of these drivers have children themselves.”
Read more:
Starbeck Primary Academy is on Starbeck High Street and bears the brunt of the air pollution from waiting cars and vehicles.
Its headteacher, Gary de Castro-Morland, said 99% of its children walk to school so he hopes motorists can turn their engines off to help protect their health.
He said:
Community vows to fight any closure threat to Starbeck Baths“This year five class has been learning about air pollution and the children wanted to come down.
“Traffic queues right in front of our school, air pollution from standing traffic is a significant issue for us.”
A community group has vowed to step up and fight if to protect Starbeck Baths from any planned closure over the coming years.
It follows news this week that the council is preparing to invest in a new leisure centre in Knaresborough and improving the Hydro in Harrogate.
As part of a report to be considered by Harrogate Borough Council’s cabinet next week, officers said that with new facilities in nearby towns, “the future of Starbeck Baths would need to be considered”. Reacting to the news, Starbeck Residents’ Association Chairman Geoff Foxhall said:
“It would be a tragedy if the council decided to let go of it, especially as they have invested a quite considerable amount in it in the last few years.
“About ten years ago (when it was under threat), we had resident meetings and committees were formed. It was quite a struggle but we saved it then. Hopefully, we could mobilise the same support again if needed.”
Although the report for HBC’s cabinet looked at the money that could be saved by closing Starbeck Baths, the cabinet member for culture, tourism and sport told The Stray Ferret that closure was not an immediate plan. Cllr Stan Lumley said:
“We can’t commit to it forever and ever, but in the short term there are no intentions of closing Starbeck at all. Once we’ve got everything up and running, a much bigger Hydro and a new facility in Knaresborough – clearly that’s many years down the line – we would have to look at that and how we operate in the future.”
‘Best of both worlds’
The report to the cabinet forms part of a recommendation to transfer the running of leisure centres, along with community centres and the council’s day nursery, to a local authority controlled company (LACC). HBC says it can make significant savings on running costs by doing so, with additional money to be saved and made through investments in the facilities.
Cllr Lumley added:
“We thought it was the best way forward because it keeps us with control but it frees us up and allows us to do things more efficiently and gives us more flexibility with management.
“This is like a partial privatisation. It allows us to benefit from some things that a private company would, but by keeping control of the business. It’s the best of both worlds.”
Read:
- Leisure centres, community centres and day nursery could be run by a local authority controlled company
- Unions say concerns remain after meeting with council on LACC plans
- Which shops are reopening next week?
Meanwhile, as well as a major refurbishment of the Hydro, HBC is set to look at creating a new gym and swimming pool for Knaresborough. Although it is considering rebuilding on the existing site, the report to the cabinet indicates that a new facility could be built at Conyngham Hall, after considering a site at Hay-a-Park and the grounds of Knaresborough House.
Building at Conyngham Hall would allow both Knaresborough sites to remain open while the Hydro was refurbished, before the old pool on King James’s Road was closed. However, the report acknowledges that rebuilding on the same site would be less expensive than relocating, which it estimates would cost in the region of £13million.

The existing Knaresborough Pool could be replaced with a new leisure centre, either on the same site or somewhere else
Knaresborough Civic Society said it will be looking at any plans for relocation with interest. Secretary Ian Wright said:
“We would certainly be interested in where they are planning to put it. Conyngham Hall is one of our prominent public buildings – Harrogate were refurbishing some of that. We will be keeping a watching brief on it.
“The swimming pool isn’t a historic building. We wouldn’t be too concerned about doing something else with that site. Any concerns would be relating to the Conyngham Hall site and where it would go on there.”
Whichever location is chosen, work on Knaresborough’s new leisure centre would not begin until the completion of the new Ripon pool, replacing the old spa baths. After a short delay because of the coronavirus lockdown, Cllr Lumley said he expects it to open autumn 2021.