Knaresborough traders have started a petition calling for some town centre electric vehicle charging stations to be made available to all cars.
Ten parking bays in Chapel Street Car Park were set aside for electric vehicles at the end of last year.
Most are frequently empty — while there is often a scramble for non-electric vehicle parking spaces, especially on Wednesday market days and Saturdays.
The sight of cars circling for parking spaces while the majority of EV bays are empty has infuriated traders, who claim they are losing business due to customers giving up and going elsewhere.

Empty electric vehicle charging stations in Chapel Street car park.
They also say taxpayers are missing out on income the empty bays are failing to generate.
Hairdresser Kelly Teggin, who launched the petition today, said it aimed to get 500 signatures, which would require North Yorkshire Council’s Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee to debate the matter.
Ms Teggin said:
“The council has not really been engaging with us and hopefully this petition will change that.
“Many of my clients are older and say they won’t walk from other car parks further away. I estimate it’s costing the town 500 to 1,000 shoppers a week.”
The petition calls for “North Yorkshire Council to enter into urgent dialogue to discuss a phased transition to full electric vehicle provision”.
Ms Teggin said the council had allocated enough EV charging stations in Knaresborough to meet its targets for 2038 and was ignoring the current reality on the ground. She added:
“We agree we need EV parking bays but we don’t need 10 now.”
Fellow Knaresborough businessman Steve Teggin said it wasn’t realistic to expect older people carrying shopping to walk from car parks further out of town.
It is still unclear whether non-EV vehicles parking in EV bays are getting fined.
Ms Teggin said the council had not engaged on the matter and no car park signage explains the situation.
Read more:
- River Nidd testing for E coli to begin at Knaresborough today
- Knaresborough could get country’s first water-powered EV charging station
Cllr Matt Walker, a Liberal Democrat who represents Knaresborough West on North Yorkshire Council, has criticised the council’s approach.
Speaking last month, he said:
“The council needs to make sure these spaces can be used by people if they are not being used by people with electric vehicles.
“If they are sat empty it benefits nobody. Businesses are losing out on customers and the council is losing out on thousands of pounds of revenue.”
The petition can be signed in Sheer Bliss, Nottingham Jewellers, Hirsts Bakery, The School and Dance Shop and Kelly Teggin Hair and Beauty in Knaresborough.
North Yorkshire Council has been approached for comment.
Knaresborough business criticises electric vehicle parking ‘madness’
A Knaresborough businesswoman has described as “madness” a decision to close 20 parking spaces in the run-up to Christmas.
Harrogate Borough Council has allocated 10 parking bays in Chapel Street car park and 10 at Conyngham Hall for electric vehicles only. But the bays are currently sealed off, meaning no vehicles can use them.
The loss of spaces in a town where it is notoriously difficult to park has angered traders, particularly as it has occurred in the busy run-up to Christmas.
Kelly Teggin, who owns Kelly Teggin Hair and Beauty in Castlegate, said yesterday:
“In the middle of December we have people driving out of Knaresborough because they can’t get parked. It’s unbelievable — total madness.
“I agree we need more electric vehicle parking. But why close these spaces now in the run-up to Christmas so nobody can use them? I lost two customers today and as a small business I can’t afford this.
“I’m part of the chamber of trade and everyone is ringing me saying ‘why are the council doing this at Christmas?'”

Chapel Street car park in Knaresborough
One of Ms Teggin’s customers, called Lynn, described the situation as “ludicrous”. She added:
“It defies common sense. Kelly lost one customer when I was there today because she couldn’t get parked. The town is losing people it needs. We are all a bit gobsmacked this is happening now.”
Ms Teggin’s father, Steve Teggin, a businessman and former president of Knaresborough Chamber of Trade, said:
“Knaresborough has always been drastically short of car parking. Now we have a line of bays empty yet people are driving around trying to get parked up. It’s unfair and where was the consultation?”
100 charging bays being installed
A council spokesperson said:
“To help achieve our net zero-carbon economy by 2038, and to support the demand and rapid uptake of electric vehicles (EV), almost 100 charging bays are being installed across the Harrogate district.
“More than 20 of these will be installed in Knaresborough, including Chapel Street car park, Conyngham Hall and the new Knaresborough Leisure and Wellness Centre.
“These bays account for less than three per cent of the more than 800 spaces available in Knaresborough, not to mention the various on-street disc parking spaces available,, so we are confident that non EV drivers will still be able to find a space.
“These new charging points support the uptake in electric vehicles for both our residents and our visitor economy, and complement other sustainable travel options.”
Read more:
- Man jailed for setting fire to historic Knaresborough pub
- £405,000 campaign to restore public access to 41 acres of the old Knaresborough Forest
No. 14: Knaresborough’s bitter battle for a BID
In this article, which is part of a series on the 15 stories in the Harrogate district that shaped 2021, we look at the controversial and ultimately doomed campaign to set up a Business Improvement District in Knaresborough.
The last 12 months have seen turbulent times for businesses in Knaresborough.
There was a fractious battle to set up a Knaresborough Business Improvement District and the town’s chamber of trade underwent a huge shake-up.
Plans to create a BID, similar to ones in Harrogate and Ripon, were hatched before 2021 but the matter came to a head in October when firms were balloted on whether they supported the idea.
If a majority voted in favour, all businesses would have been subject to a levy, which would be spent on schemes to increase football in the town. The BID would have generated £700,000 over five years and seen a limited company set up with 12 directors drawn from the business community to manage the funds.
But 80 out of 153 firms rejected the move and the fallout was bitter. Some opponents to the BID claimed those supporting it had not been transparent and ignored criticism. Some that supported it accused “anti-BID activists” of smearing the campaign.
In the wake of the vote, several high-ranking Knaresborough Chamber of Trade and Commerce committee members, including president, Steve Teggin, and treasurer, Bill Taylor, stepped down. Both men had been strong advocates of the BID.
Mass walk-out
Mr Teggin launched a strongly-worded attack on some of those who opposed the BID in an outgoing letter as president.
His comments did little to ease tensions, and one business owner who attended the chamber meeting that discussed his letter told us about 16 people walked out. Another said the meeting felt “very divided”.
Read more:
- In Depth: To BID or not to BID? Divided opinion in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon
- Banking facilities set to return to Knaresborough next year
After all the fallout, the Stray Ferret asked businesses what they wanted to see going forward. The resounding response was that it was time for greater unity.

Elaine Grinter, Peter Lacey and Kelly Teggin
Elaine Grinter, from Art in the Mill, said businesses must come together to “have their voices heard”. She said this was even more paramount with the upcoming move towards devolution.
Neighbouring business owner Kelly Teggin said she was disappointed the BID wasn’t voted in but added this wouldn’t deter her and other chamber members from ensuring Knaresborough continued to thrive and bring in tourists.
Looking ahead
The chamber is currently being run by five remaining committee members. Peter Lacey, membership secretary, said the chamber wanted to re-focus and put Knaresborough’s economy at the forefront of discussions rather than focus on past disagreements.
There were signs towards the end of the year that things could be improving. Some businesses came together to form a community organisation to put up Christmas trees around the town, after the chamber stopped doing it.
At its next full meeting in January, the chamber’s vacant positions will be discussed and consideration will also be given to merging the roles of chair and president to streamline decision making.
Business owners will certainly be hoping a calmer 12 months lie ahead.
Knaresborough chamber president hits out at ‘anti-BID activists’Steve Teggin has criticised “anti-bid activists” as he steps down as president of Knaresborough Chamber of Trade.
In a letter he described as “frank and honest” to businesses ahead of the chamber’s AGM tomorrow, Mr Teggin said he felt “totally shamed and embarrassed” by the activists in the wake of the vote against setting up a Business Improvement District.
He said he had “failed” the town by not delivering the BID and said a small minority opposed to it had infected others.
The letter said:
“I should have steered the BID working group and task force in a much more positive way particularly when it came to dealing with trolls and anti-bidders, allowing this very small minority of businesses that only want to take and not give back to infect others.”
Mr Teggin, who has been chamber president since 2015 and a member since the 1970s, said he had delayed his retirement as president in the hope of helping to establish a BID and securing a “great trading future” for Knaresborough.
Instead he said he would leave the chamber “with a divided business community who will have no representation for the whole of the businesses in our town.”
80-73 votes against BID
The vote to create a BID, which would have seen businesses pay a compulsory levy to support initiatives that increased footfall in the town, was lost by 80 votes to 73. Harrogate and Ripon traders have both voted in favour of setting up BIDs.
The benefits of a BID, said Mr Teggin’s letter said, would have included:
“Not just saving our market but to expand it, help finance our now extinct tourist information hub, support our endangered library etc, all of which and much more for the cost of which is the equivalence to a couple of cups of coffee a week.”
He said the voices of those against it were louder than those in favour and other businesses were taken in by them. He added:
“I have been totally shamed and embarrassed by this group who along with fellow business owners we will have to depend on to represent our town traders so what does the future hold?”
“Not the way to bring the town together”
Natalie Horner, from printers Sid Horner and Son, had previously raised concerns about the BID. In response to the letter she said:
“That letter was not the way to bring the town together to move forward.
“Knaresborough did not want a BID and we are not a struggling town as it is made out we are, business is better than ever and we will be perfectly fine moving forward and have much more to offer as a town than those with Bids so personally I am not concerned.”
Read more:
- 30,000 poppies to cover Knaresborough castle for Remembrance Day
- Green Shoots: Knaresborough mum sells eco alternative to clingfilm
Ian Gill, owner of independent bar Six Poor Folk, said:
“I’m committed to this town, and I voted for the BID because it was my contribution to see the town develop further. I am sad we didn’t get it, but business will continue and the town will go on as it did before.”
Mr Teggin had been due to retire two years ago but stayed on during the pandemic, but now, at 67, he said he felt it was the right time to step down.
He insists he will still be involved in the town and the Chamber but will take on a “behind the scenes” roll.