Image Gallery: Sunbathers soak in the sun as temperatures soar

Crowds flocked to sunny spots in Harrogate today as temperatures reached 20 degrees.

The warm weather arrived at the perfect time after lockdown restrictions eased yesterday allowing up to six people, or two households, to enjoy the sun together.

Many local residents donned their sunglasses and applied sun cream to get the most out of this sunny Tuesday.

We sent our photographer into Harrogate today to see what people got up to.

Skateboarders showing off their skills in Valley Gardens.

Summer on the Stray

Lunch on the Stray? Why not!


Read more:


Dog on Valley Gardens

People weren’t the only ones enjoying the warm weather today.

Ice cream shop in Valley Gardens

Who doesn’t love an ice cream in the sun?

Bowlers in Harrogate

Bowlers in Harrogate today.

Valley Gardens

Valley Gardens looked particularly inviting in the sun today.

Tennis players in Valley Gardens

Perfect timing – the sun came just as lockdown restrictions eased yesterday.

Harrogate bars call on council to allow tables on Stray land

The owners of three Harrogate bars have teamed up to call on Harrogate Borough Council to approve their request to put tables and chairs on the Stray.

Outdoor dining will restart under the government’s roadmap on April 12 but three Harrogate bars are still unsure if they can use much of their space outside.

Harrogate Borough Council approved the use of tables and chairs on Stray land last summer but is yet to decide whether to give the bars the green light this time around.

Simon Colgan, who runs the Blues Bar and The Empress with his wife Sharon Colgan, told the Stray Ferret:

“It makes a massive difference for our capacity, when we have the tables on the Stray it more than doubles for both of our bars

“We will still open if we can just have the six tables on the pavement. We will fight it because we have got customers who are desperate to come back.

“Without a doubt I would say this is critical for our business. It really is important, especially after another of three months of lockdown.”

David Dresser, who owns Fashion House Bistro, also told the Stray Ferret:

“It would be disappointing for us if we were not able to have outdoor dining back on the Stray land.

“That is on the basis that if we have some bad weather days then those days are right offs. This would help us on good days to make sure that business is stable.

“So it would affect our turnover but if we got those tables and chairs on the grass it would give us a boost.”


Read more:


Both Simon Colgan and David Dresser approached Harrogate Borough Council with their request when Boris Johnson set out his roadmap last month.

However, a spokesman for Harrogate Borough Council told the Stray Ferret:

“We are currently awaiting feedback from the Duchy on the proposed approach, prior to a consultation starting.”

The Duchy of Lancaster owns the Stray and Harrogate Borough Council are its custodians.

We asked the council about its timeline for a consultation but did not receive a reply by the time of publication.

New Beech Grove sign to stop cars driving on Stray

A ‘no motor vehicles’ sign has gone up on the Stray to stop drivers using the land to avoid the new road closure on Beech Grove in Harrogate.

Harrogate Borough Council granted a request by North Yorkshire County Council, the highways authority, to put up the sign even though it is on Stray land.

Beech Grove closed to through traffic last week but some motorists have been mounting the kerb to avoid the newly-installed planters.

The decision to allow the sign has angered the Stray Defence Association, which was set up in 1933 to prevent building and encroachment on the Stray,

The Harrogate Stray Act 1985 says it is unlawful to erect items on the Stray without the permission of Harrogate Borough Council, which is the protector of the 200 acres of land.

Judy D’Arcy Thompson, chair of the association, said it could pave the way for more signs, which would harm the Stray’s appearance. She said:

“It might seem like a quick fix solution but if they put one sign up they might put up others.

“In any case, people could still drive round it.”

Ms D’Arcy Thompson said North Yorkshire County Council, which has closed Beech Grove to through traffic for six months on an experimental order, had made a mistake by not consulting adequately on the proposal. She said:

“They rushed into this without consulting local people and are now adding to the problem by including Stray land.”


Read more:


Melisa Burnham, North Yorkshire County Council’s highways area manager, said:

“We consulted on these measures in line with statutory legislation and guidelines.

“Consultation was initially undertaken with emergency services representatives, local members and other statutory bodies in December with no concerns raised.

“During engagement with the Yorkshire Ambulance Service, the need for designated emergency standby parking to aid ambulance responses in the town was identified and provided as part of the scheme on the nearby Trinity Road.”

Ms Burnham added the six-month experimental order allowed residents and road users to take part in the ongoing live consultation that is being held in conjunction with the road closure measures. She said:

“We will consider all feedback received during the consultation period.”

A Harrogate Borough Council report that recommended approving the sign on the Stray, which was approved on Friday, said:

“The proposal seeks to enhance the experience of people using the Stray for public access and recreation therefore the officer recommendation is that under the Harrogate Stray Act 1985 the proposed schemes for the road safety signs be approved.”

Cars drive over Stray to avoid Harrogate road closure

Harrogate motorists have been avoiding the closure of Beech Grove by driving over the Stray.

The road closed to through traffic yesterday but already some vehicles have taken the law into their own hands by mounting the kerb and cutting across the Stray, leaving behind mud and tyre tracks.

A chaotic first night saw most motorists, confronted by road blocks for the first time, performing u-turns. But the Stray Ferret has photographic evidence, as well as verbal reports by witnesses, that some engaged in illegal manoeuvres.

Besides driving on the Stray, motorists also drove through the car parks attached to the residential apartment blocks on Beech Grove. They also drove the wrong way along the one-way street that connects Beech Grove and Victoria Road to avoid a detour.

North Yorkshire County Council, the highways authority, is now considering ways to prevent motorists taking the law into their own hands.

Cllr Don Mackenzie, executive member for access, told the Stray Ferret:

“I am very sorry that motorists have decided to drive across the Stray to avoid the road closure on Beech Grove.

“That is extremely poor behaviour. They are also committing a driving offence.”


Read more:


Judy D’Arcy Thompson, chair of the Stray Defence Association, told the Stray Ferret:

“It is outrageous that cars are being driven onto the Stray. We understand drivers’ frustrations as they are probably unaware of the closure until they have actually entered Beech Grove.

“However, this does not excuse angry and potentially dangerous driving.

“The hideously ugly planters appear to have been placed well into the route to avoid the increased flooding which now occurs on West Park Stray, spreading as it does across the road.

“As always our concern is for the protection of the Stray and we are engaged in conversation with both North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council about this.”

Beech Grove will be closed to through traffic for six months before North Yorkshire County Council, which is consulting on the scheme, decides whether to make it permanent.

It is hoped the move will encourage pedestrians and cyclists. It will link to the new Otley Road cycle path, work on which is due to begin in spring.

Residents, refuse collections and emergency services will still have access to the area.

Council to recommend Wetherby Road land for Stray swap

A plot of land at Wetherby Road has been recommended to be exchanged for grass verges on Otley Road and designated as Stray land.

Harrogate Borough Council carried out a 12-week consultation over three plots of land to replace the verges, which will be removed for a new cycle route.

A majority of those who responded backed the council’s preferred option to designate land on Wetherby Road next to the war memorial as Stray land in exchange.

As part of the Stray Act, a suitable plot of land must be offered in exchange. It follows lengthy discussions between the council and the Duchy of Lancaster over land to designate to the Stray.

The responses to the consultation are due to go before the General Purposes Committee this week. Councillors will be asked to recommend that the authority’s cabinet approves the land proposals.

In total, the authority received 443 responses to its consultation.


Read more


Of that number, 214 respondents (49%) strongly agreed with the proposal to exchange the Otley Road verges to one of the three options outlined by the council.

However, 161 (36%) strongly disagreed with the plan.

Some agreed with the options, but felt the proposal “should be put back to residents once a decision has been made”. Others said they supported the move “as long as there is still enough pavement to walk down with a pushchair”.

As part of the exchange, the council outlined three plots of land for the exchange:

The area of land outlined in Harrogate Borough Council documents earmarked to be exchanged as part of the Otley Road cycle route.

In the responses, 246 (81%) agreed with the council’s preferred option of land at Wetherby Road next to the war memorial.

Those who agreed with the Wetherby Road plot felt it was “the most logical reason to form a continuous community resources” and “seems already part of the Stray”.

However, 14 agreed with the second option of verges at St James Drive and 45 supported the verges at Arthurs Avenue.

Some disagreed with the options outlined and said they did not want the Otley Road verges removed. Others said “the Stray should not be disrupted for cyclists” and questioned the need for a cycle route.

Residents were also asked whether they agreed with the council’s plan to amend the Stray bylaws to permit cycling on the Otley Road route.

A total of 235 strongly agreed (54%), while 162 (36%) strongly disagreed.

Councillors on the committee have been recommended to submit the proposed bylaw change to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government.

It comes as North Yorkshire County Council looks to press ahead with the cycle route on the stretch of road between Harlow Moor Road and Beech Grove.

The project has already been delayed and the negotiations over the Stray land have been a further stumbling block for the second phase of the scheme.

Hundreds sign petition to make the Stray bee-friendly

More than 300 people have signed a petition calling on Harrogate Borough Council to make the Stray more bee-friendly.

Harrogate and District Green Party wrote to the council last month urging it to plant native wildflowers rather than its stick to its current plan to plant 60,000 crocuses on West Park Stray.

Rebecca Maunder, chair of the Harrogate and District Green Party, has now set up a petition after the council wrote back to say it did not intend to change its plans.

A week later the online petition, which is on the 38 Degrees website, has reached 327 signatures.


Read more:


Ms Maunder hopes that, with enough support, the petition will sway the council’s decision and lead to a more bee-friendly Stray,

A spokesperson for Harrogate Borough Council said it had nothing to add to its previous statement on the matter, which said:

“We are also looking at biodiversity as part of our wider horticultural plan for the future. We understand the need to encourage biodiversity and already manage a number of native wildflower meadows across the district. The thousands of plants and flowers in our numerous parks and gardens also support this.”

The council called for volunteers last month to dig 60,000 holes in the hope that the crocuses will bloom better than ever next spring.

Stray Defence Association issues covid gatherings plea

The Stray Defence Association has urged people using the Stray to respect the new six person limit on gatherings.

During the summer crowds gathered on the Stray, breaking social distancing rules.

The association hopes there will be no repeat of this from Monday when groups of more than six people will be forbidden from gathering, except in exceptional circumstances.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said yesterday this would “stop the spread of the virus and save lives”.

Crowds of young people gathered on the Stray over summer. From Monday, groups must be limited to six people.Young people have been widely blamed for the recent increase in covid infections.

Judy d’Arcy Thompson, chair of the association, said the majority of young people had stuck to the rules extremely well and she hoped everyone continued to enjoy the wide spaces of the Stray while respecting the new law.

She said:

“It’s given people the space to socially distance and I think it has really come into its own. It is an asset for the town and there’s enough space for everyone to enjoy it.”

But she added:

“We had three weeks of people up at Tewit Well breaking the social distancing laws and the police had to be involved.

“No-one wants to stop young people enjoying themselves but the rules are there for everyone. Let’s hope this time it is different, I am not being anti-young and don’t want to stop them having a good time but they can’t be breaking the restrictions again. It is an asset for the town and there’s enough space for everyone to enjoy it.”


Read more:


Until now, the police have not been able to disperse gatherings unless they exceeded 30 people.

North Yorkshire Police declined to comment when asked by the Stray whether it would be monitoring gatherings on the Stray from Monday.

John Apter, the national chair of the Police Federation of England and Wales, said:

“For policing, these constant changes to legislation are becoming the norm. The pressures on policing have increased significantly over recent months and this latest change will add to this pressure. The government needs to play its part – an effective public information campaign must be a priority. We would urge the public to do the right thing and comply with the new rules.”

WATCH: Stunning view of improving picture on West Park Stray

West Park Stray appears lush and green after the grass was mowed for the first time since work began in spring.

However, anyone hoping to take advantage of the warm weather this weekend and enjoy the newly-mown grass will have to look elsewhere.

Harrogate Borough Council said an announcement about the reopening of West Park Stray will be made in the coming days, but for now, it remains fenced off.

A drone image of West Park Stray taken today, July 31, by David Simister.

Work to restore the Stray began at the end of April, with Lancashire-based Glendale Services appointed to carry out the work under ‘urgent circumstances’. The organisers of the fan park for the UCI Road World Championships last September, when the damage was done, have agreed to pay £35,500 towards £130,000 of work.


Read more: 


The council said that sum was not purely for repairs following the UCI event, but comprised repair to other long-standing issues:

When seeding began in late June, scarecrows created by local primary school children were put up across the Stray to protect the grass.

Harrogate's Stray in March 2020

The Stray was still showing extensive damage in March

WATCH: Furloughed hotel worker cleans up the Stray

A hotel worker from The Crown Hotel in Harrogate has been spending his mornings cleaning up the Stray after it turned into ‘an absolute eyesore’ over the last three days.

Andrew Langley has been furloughed from working at the hotel and decided to do his bit for the district:

” I have been out all week picking up beer cans, pizza boxes and all whatever else. It’s something I feel I have to do. It had been ok up until now but the past three days it’s been packed with people and its been left in such a state, there should be a fine or something.”

 

 

Police appeal for information after man exposes himself on the Stray

Police are appealing for information after a man exposed himself on the Stray in Harrogate at the weekend.

It happened near Slingsby Walk, which runs between Oatlands Drive and Wetherby Road, near the ginnel through to St Winifred’s Avenue, on Sunday afternoon between 5.30pm and 6.30pm.

A man has been arrested and police are continuing to make enquiries. A spokesman said:

“We are requesting the public’s assistance to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident. In particular, we are appealing for information from any person who witnessed anybody behaving inappropriately in that area around the time of the reported incident.”

Police have also warned the public to be careful about sharing material and speculating about the incident while the investigation continues, after people posted about the incident on social media on Sunday evening.

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation should contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option two, and ask for Jon Everitt. Alternatively, email jonathan.everitt@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

To report information anonymously, contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. Quote the North Yorkshire Police reference number 12200104912.