Runners were left delighted this morning as the Harrogate Parkrun returned after more than a year away.
Parkrun, which has events held across the country, fell victim to the covid pandemic in March 2020.
It left runners without the free weekly 5k run on a Saturday morning for 16 months.
The event has seen numerous false starts in returning, including a delay last month after the government pushed back the lifting of remaining covid restrictions until July 19.
But, parkrun returned this morning with hundreds turning out on the Stray to take part.
Walkers, joggers and runners all turned out for the long-awaited comeback.

Ted Welton, event director volunteer at Harrogate Park Run.
Ted Welton, event director volunteer at Harrogate Park Run, told the Stray Ferret that he was delighted to have the run back.
He said:
“It’s just amazing. We had so many false starts where we thought we were going to come back and it didn’t.
“Now feels like the right time. Outdoor exercise is probably the safest thing people can be doing. We have put in a load of mitigation measures so people are staying apart.
“It’s just awesome to be back.”
Read more:
- ‘She’s just my daughter!’: Rachel Daly’s dad’s pride at Olympics star
- Local cycling superstar Lizzie Deignan selected for Olympics
No plans for big screen on Stray for Euro 2020 final, says council
Council officials have said they have no plans to hold a big screen on the Stray for England’s Euro 2020 final against Italy on Sunday.
The Three Lions reached their first major tournament final in 55 years on Wednesday after beating Denmark 2-1 after extra-time in front of 60,000 fans at Wembley.
Sunday is expected to see pubs and beer gardenpacked out to watch the match against Italy which will be broadcast on both ITV and BBC.
Despite being England’s first final since winning the World Cup in 1966, Harrogate Borough Council has said it has no plans to host a big screen for the occasion.
A spokesperson for the council said:
“We have no plans to organise a big screen, or the associated social distancing measures that would be required, on the Stray this weekend.”
The council added it also had no received any applications from other parties to host a big screen.
Read more:
- Ripon Grammar student wins spot in national Youth Theatre
- Race organisers ‘not prepared’ to cover Tour de Yorkshire losses
The Stray has been used in the past for people to watch major sporting events, such as the Wimbledon final in 2013.
Meanwhile, the government has announced that pubs will be allowed to stay open until 11.15pm on Sunday evening.
The Prime Minister’s spokesperson said the extension would allow people to watch the game in case it goes to extra time and penalties.
Gallery: sun shines on Harrogate food and drink festivalHarrogate’s food and drink festival returned to the Stray today to become the town’s first major event since the coronavirus pandemic.
The event dodged the bad weather of the last week, as the sun shone on the Oatlands Drive part of the Stray that hosted the event.
The festival will be open again tomorrow to offer people the chance to enjoy international cuisine, independent bars, artisan stalls, live music and a fun fair.

The organisers have once again partnered with the mental health charity Mind, with the Harrogate district team stationed on the exit.
Read more:
- Wetherby Road expected to reopen on Tuesday
- Harewood House takes the lead with Big Dog Walk tomorrow
Mike Gibbs, chair of Harrogate district Mind, told the Stray Ferret:
“It’s fantastic. We are so grateful to the event organisers who have helped over the years to raise money for Mind.
“Like other charities we are having a tough time with coronavirus. Events like this are going to help save lives.”

Amy Griffin, who is working on the Doe Harrogate stall, told the Stray Ferret:
“It feels amazing, Harrogate is such a great place to be. It feels a bit more normal doesn’t it? Everyone is here.
“We’ve got party rings, rainbows, Victoria sponge cake, the crowd favourite Biscoff and plenty more.”

Adele Wrightson, on the Fire and Dough stall, told the Stray Ferret:
“This is the first time we have been down here, we are from Northumberland. It’s great weather so lovely to have it outdoors.
“It’s odd to have so many people in one place. This is the biggest event we have done in recent times, they have gradually been getting more busy over the summer.”

If you miss the Stray event, it will be back at Ripley Castle on August 28 to 30.
More pictures:

The delayed ending of coronavirus restrictions has forced organisers of Parkrun in the Harrogate district to push back its return by a month.
It has been a difficult few months for the organisers, who have tentatively scheduled the return of the free, weekly 5 km runs time and time again, only to then have to disappoint runners.
Outdoor events are permitted under the current government rules. However, many of the landowners that host the runs have granted permission for them to take place on the condition that all lockdown restrictions are lifted.
Now the government has delayed the roadmap easing until July 19, Parkrun is looking to return on July 24.
There are three Parkruns in the Harrogate district: on the Stray in Harrogate, Conyngham Hall in Knaresborough and Fountains Abbey, near Ripon.
Read more:
A spokesperson for Parkrun said today:
Brass band to give free live performance on Harrogate Stray tonight“A huge amount of work has been done in recent weeks to ensure we have permission to return from the large majority of landowners.
“While this delay is disappointing, we respect the fact that a significant number of these permissions were contingent on the country moving into Step 4.
“We will therefore target a new reopening date of July 24.”
A brass band will give a free live performance tonight on the Stray in Harrogate from 7pm.
Harrogate Band will play hymns and gentle music alongside the In Memoriam artwork that was installed last week on West Park Stray as a memorial to NHS workers who have died due to covid.
In Memoriam, which is the first of a series of art installations organised by Harrogate International Festivals this summer, will be available to see until June 7.
Harrogate International Festivals organised tonight’s live music.
Harrogate Band consists of 25-30 members and has been performing for 51 years.
Band chairman Ed Dennis said;
“The band are delighted to be back performing after 14 months of not seeing each other of being able to make music together.
“We’re so pleased to be working with Harrogate International Festivals once again on this very special project.”
Catch them tonight in front of the memorial on the Stray from 7pm to 7:40pm.
Stray art installation opens to help people reflect on covid deadA giant art installation has opened on the Stray today to help people reflect on those who have lost their lives through coronavirus.
The piece, called In Memoriam, measures 36 metres in diameter and features more than 100 flags made from hospital bed sheets.
As well as a memorial to those who have died, it is also a tribute to those who have been on the frontline trying to save lives.
It’s been designed by award-winning artist Luke Jerram and will be on West Park Stray until June 7. After that it will move to Edinburgh, Fleetwood and Weston-super-Mare.
There is no entry fee and Harrogate International Festivals has commissioned a reflective piece of music called ‘A Moment of Time’, which you can find here.
Read more:
- Work starts on giant Stray artwork to remember covid dead
- Bank holiday weekend train travellers face delays and replacement buses
This is the first in a series of installations and events delivered in the months ahead by Harrogate International Festivals, which this year celebrates its 55th anniversary.
In Memoriam is being supported by Hornbeam Park Developments Ltd, Harrogate BID, and Swainsons Funeral Directors.
Sharon Canavar, Harrogate International Festivals chief executive, said
“Two years ago, we were lucky enough to bring Luke’s Museum of the Moon to St Wilfrid’s Church, which was one of the highlights of that summer’s international festival, and was visited by more than 10,000 people.
“As an arts charity delivering festivals and events, we were first to close and will be the last to open, but we can’t just open the doors on our venues and go straight back to normal.
“We wanted to create something unique in Harrogate that acknowledged the last year whilst allowing us to create a safe, outdoor event for the town.
“We don’t want people to just look at In Memoriam from afar, we want people to experience it; we want individuals, families and friends to walk into the heart of it; we want them to sit under the flags and quietly reflect the events of the last 15 months.”

North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Philip Allott will address growing concerns about dog theft in a public meeting on the Stray tomorrow.
The session will be held between 1pm and 2pm on the section of the Stray near Harrogate District Hospital.
Dog owners will be able to air their feelings and find out more about what is being planned to tackle the problem.
Mr Allott, who lives in Knaresborough, said tackling dog theft would be one of his top priorities during his campaign to become the new commissioner.
He highlighted a survey showing dog thefts increased by 250% last year due to gangs cashing in on the demand for puppies during lockdown.
Sought-after breeds, such as French bulldogs, can sell for more than £5,000 and a litter can fetch £35,000.
Read more:
- North Yorks Police urges dog owners not to carry weapons on walks
- Kim’s Canines: Has the last year made our dogs more reactive?
Work starts on giant Stray artwork to remember covid dead
Work started this morning on a huge art installation on the Stray to commemorate NHS staff and care workers and those who have lost their lives through coronavirus.
The piece, called In Memoriam, is set to be complete for its official opening on Friday.
Volunteers are using red and white flags to assess where the various pieces will go, close to the centre of West Park Stray.
Award-winning artist Luke Jerram designed the exhibit, which will be on the Stray until June 7. It will then be moved to Edinburgh, Fleetwood and Weston-super-Mare.

Ben Osborne (left), on behalf of the artist Luke Jerram, and Adam Long, on behalf of Harrogate International Festivals.
In Memoriam measures 36 metres in diameter and features more than 100 flags made from hospital bed sheets arranged in the form of a medical symbol.
This is the first in a series of installations and events delivered in the months ahead by Harrogate International Festivals, which this year celebrates its 55th anniversary.

How the artwork will look on Friday.
Sharon Canavar, Harrogate International Festivals chief executive, said
“Two years ago, we were lucky enough to bring Luke’s Museum of the Moon to St Wilfrid’s Church, which was one of the highlights of that summer’s international festival, and was visited by more than 10,000 people.
“As an arts charity delivering festivals and events, we were first to close and will be the last to open, but we can’t just open the doors on our venues and go straight back to normal.
“We wanted to create something unique in Harrogate that acknowledged the last year whilst allowing us to create a safe, outdoor event for the town.
“We don’t want people to just look at In Memoriam from afar, we want people to experience it; we want individuals, families and friends to walk into the heart of it; we want them to sit under the flags and quietly reflect the events of the last 15 months.”
In Memoriam is being supported by Hornbeam Park, Harrogate BID, and Swainsons Funeral Directors.
E-scooters: scourge of pedestrians or saviour of transport in Harrogate?E-scooters have been described as both an innovative solution to congestion and air pollution and a danger to pedestrians.
The Stray Ferret published a letter from reader Richard Abbott over the weekend, who said he recently dodged out the way of an e-scooter rider near the Stray.
He called them a “blight” and a “scourge” yet they are likely to become a more familiar sight in places like Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon in the coming years.
The government is trialing the use of rented e-scooters in over 30 areas across the UK until August. It thinks they could encourage people to use their cars less and help the country’s green recovery post-covid.
What are e-scooters?
E-scooters are similar to regular scooters but have small, electric motors.
Over 100 cities across the world operate scooter-sharing schemes, including Paris and Barcelona, where you can hire one for around €19 an hour.
E-scooters are sold in the UK online and in shops, and they can cost anywhere from just over £100 to £1,000.
Read more:
Are they legal?
It is against the law to use a privately owned e-scooter in the Harrogate district. Riders risk a £300 fine, six penalty points on their licence or having their e-scooter impounded.
The government said it will make a decision on legalising e-scooters in the rest of the UK after the trial ends in August.
For the trial, e-scooters are allowed on the road and in cycle lanes provided users have a full or provisional car, motorcycle or moped licence. They are still banned on the pavement and must not go above 15.5mph.
A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Police said it was not aware of e-scooter use being a particularly prevalent issue and added the number of recorded incidents last year was in single figures across the whole of the county.
Sustainable or dangerous?
Mr Abbott’s letter to the Stray Ferret provoked a lively response on the Stray Ferret’s social media, with some heralding them as a sustainable transport option for the future while others were fearful of injuries.
One person said on Twitter:
“They are dangerous, they use both the pavements, precincts and roads, going too fast.”
Another said:
“Depends on who’s riding it and how. If used with consideration for others I think they’d be a useful sustainable transport option that takes up less room than a car. If they were legal I’d get one for sure. Far cheaper than an electric bike.”
With the number of e-scooter riders set to increase, the debate is likely to intensify in the years ahead.
‘Disappointment’ as Stray dining and drinking hopes dashedHarrogate councillors have expressed disappointment after hopes that hospitality businesses could use the Stray this summer were dashed by legal complications.
There was widespread optimism that reopening restaurants, pubs and cafes could be given outdoor dining space when Harrogate Borough Council revealed the plans in March but historic laws protecting the parkland have since thrown up a series of challenges.
As landowners by law, the Duchy of Lancaster is guided by the Stray Act to ensure access to all residents and visitors.
The body had entered into negotiations with the council but took a firm stance that use of the Stray for commercial purposes, except for some large events, was not permitted by the Act.
Read more:
- Harrogate bars call on council to allow tables on Stray land
- Blow for businesses wanting to use Stray this summer
While the debate rumbled on as Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones intervened with calls for further flexibility, the bad news for businesses was all but confirmed until a meeting on Monday when a senior council official said the authority had stopped pursuing the plans.
Trevor Watson, director of economy and culture at Harrogate Borough Council, said:
“I certainly share the view that the Stray potentially provides a fantastic opportunity to help businesses come out of a very difficult period.
“But our custodian role for the Stray is to ensure it is maintained free and open for the use of all rather than what appears to be the use of all but effectively is for the use of individuals visiting an individual commercial premises.”
Cllr Pat Marsh said she was “very disappointed” by the decision.
She said:
“The Stray is for the people and we must remember that.”.
Cllr Chris Aldred added:
“At the start of lockdown everybody seemed to be in favour of this happening and then suddenly it got lost in bureaucracy somewhere.
“We really do need to look at how we use the Stray in the future. As a council that should be one of our priorities to see it developed for everyone.”
Mr Watson responded:
“Whilst I share some of the frustrations, it is not bureaucracy, it is legislation. The terms of the legislation we have got to work with are very restrictive.
“It is essentially what is wrapped up in the Stray Act that has led to the view that we should encourage its use for open and regular enjoyment but not perhaps for the benefit of individual businesses.”
The idea of businesses using the Stray was put forward to help those with little or no room for outdoor dining under the current lockdown restrictions.
The Duchy of Lancaster said in a statement that while it was keen to support the economic recovery, the Stray “exists for the benefit of all the people of Harrogate,” not just certain businesses.
It said:
“Harrogate Borough Council is responsible for the management of the Stray in accordance with the Stray Act.
“The Duchy has no legal grounds to object to management proposals permitted by the Act.
“It is not the role of the Duchy to act as arbitrator in what should be a local discussion among the affected stakeholders.”