Two men have been arrested following a burglary in Boroughbridge.
North Yorkshire Police said in a statement today a man in his 20s and a man is in his 30s had been arrested and “released on bail pending further enquiries”.
Officers appealed for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward.
The statement said:
“It happened on Willow Grove at approximately 8.30pm on October 20 when a property was broken into and a number of power tools were stolen.
“Officers are appealing for information about any people and/or vehicles seen in the location near to the time of the incident along with any private CCTV or doorbell footage of suspicious activity.”
Anyone with information can email ethan.fleming@northyorkshire.police.uk or call North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2, and ask for Ethan Fleming.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can pass information to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Quote reference number 12230200171.
Read more:
- Air ambulance called after pedestrian injured in Boroughbridge
- Knaresborough banking hub to open next week
Lib Dem leader accuses Tories of ‘pinching’ Harrogate Station Gateway ideas
The leader of the Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough has accused the Conservative transport chief of “pinching” their ideas for the £11.2 million Station Gateway.
North Yorkshire Council is hastily assembling new proposals for the scheme after admitting its previous plans failed to follow the correct procedure in the wake of legal action.
Councillor Keane Duncan, the Conservative executive member for highways, revealed last week that two of the most controversial aspects of the scheme — reducing Station Parade to one lane and pedestrianising James Street — would be scrapped.
A detailed new plan has yet to be published but it is expected to include improvements to Station Square and One Arch and upgrading traffic signals.
Lib Dem leader Pat Marsh said the Lib Dems suggested dropping the Station Parade and James Street proposals at an online meeting of the council’s Harrogate and Knaresborough area constituency committee working group on October 31 — shortly before Cllr Duncan’s announcement.
She said the 13 members of the area constituency committee are due to walk around the gateway site tomorrow (Thursday, November 8) with a senior officer at the council.
Cllr Marsh said the visit would enable the council to better understand the area and consider a “better connected” Lib Dem plan for the town centre.
She said previous gateway proposals “started nowhere and ended nowhere”.
Cllr Marsh said:
“There are simple solutions that would connect the town better. They would enable cyclists to feel safer and not upset motorists.”
She added she would reveal full details of the proposals after tomorrow’s meeting but said they included improvements to the public realm near the train and bus stations, keeping the Station Parade taxi rank where it is and “tidying up” the area around the train station car park.
Cllr Marsh said:
“What we feel we have come up with is a better connected scheme.
“We are not playing politics — that is why we put something forward and offered to do a walk round.”
The Stray Ferret has asked Cllr Duncan to respond to Cllr Marsh’s comments but has not had a response.
Read more:
- Harrogate BID says amended Station Gateway scheme ‘should proceed’
- Major elements of £11.2 million Harrogate Station Gateway scheme to be scrapped
- Council concedes it should have held public inquiry into Harrogate Station Gateway
Petition calls for investigation into leadership of Harrogate district school
A petition calling for an investigation into the leadership of a Harrogate district school has been launched.
North Yorkshire Council has begun moves to close Fountains Earth Primary School in Lofthouse, near Pateley Bridge.
The school has no pupils left and although the council attributes this and a struggle to recruit teachers as key factors in opening a consultation on closure, parents say long-running leadership issues contributed to its decline.
They say pupil numbers were increasing until parents were alienated and poor leadership prompted them to send children elsewhere.
Their petition has already achieved 500 signatures.
Fountains Earth is part of the Upper Nidderdale Federation, which also includes Glasshouses Community Primary School and St Cuthbert’s Church of England Primary School in Pateley Bridge.
Parents previously said they were “devastated to have been left with no choice but to remove our children” and warned closure would “rip the heart” out of Lofthouse.
Now a petition, launched by Ashley Gatehouse, calls for “a full, objective and thorough investigation into the leadership of the Upper Nidderdale Federation”.
It says small rural schools foster community spirit and can deliver high quality education, when managed and governed appropriately.
The petition says:
“This investigation should carefully assess the leadership and management of the Upper Nidderdale Federation, including their academic performance, financial stability, community engagement and communication with parents.
“It is imperative that all relevant stakeholders, including parents and former parents, direct and non-direct contracted staff as well as local residents, have the opportunity to contribute their insights and concerns during this investigation process.
“We request that this matter is taken seriously and that the best interests of our community’s children are prioritised.
The petition concludes by urging the council to halt closure “until a full and thorough investigation has been conducted”.
A ‘heavy and sad decision’
The Stray Ferret asked the Upper Nidderdale Federation if it wished to respond to the parents’ claims.
A statement by co-governors Helen Nelson and Hugh Smith said:
“The autumn term started at Fountains Earth with no pupils on roll.
“Unfortunately, this is not an unprecedented situation in North Yorkshire and the governing body has looked at every possible option for the school to keep going.
“Without children, there will be no future per pupil funding for the school from April 2024.
“Taking everything into account, and having discussed the situation with officers at North Yorkshire Council and the Diocese of Leeds the governors took the heavy and sad decision to ask North Yorkshire Council to begin consultation on a proposal to close Fountains Earth school. This is a formal process led by North Yorkshire Council.”
Read more:
- Angry parents say closure of Lofthouse school will ‘rip heart out of community’
- Lofthouse Moor owner fined for illegally burning peat
Amanda Newbold, the council’s assistant director for education and skills, said:
Saturday’s Stray bonfire may be last, say organisers“We very much recognise the problems of falling pupil numbers at small rural schools, which is an issue affecting a number of communities in North Yorkshire.
“Sadly, there are currently no children enrolled at Fountain’s Earth CE Primary School in Lofthouse in Nidderdale.
“After a challenging time for all, the school governors have made the difficult decision to begin the formal process of applying to the council for a consultation on proposed plans to close the school.
“The request will be formally considered in November. If a consultation is given the go-ahead, it would be undertaken later this year and include a public meeting.”
The organisers of the annual bonfire on the Stray in Harrogate have warned that last Saturday’s event could be the last.
Harrogate Round Table has organised the town’s main bonfire for 52 years.
But the charity said today it was struggling to cover the costs and there was a question mark over whether it would be held next year.
In a statement expressing its “heartfelt appreciation” to those who attended Saturday’s event, despite wet weather, the round table said:
“The cost of holding this wonderful community event has risen dramatically over the last three years in line with inflation and the dramatic cost of living that we are all feeling.
“We are still processing payments and accumulating this year’s totals, but at this stage we can see that it is unlikely we will meet previous totals raised and may well struggle to cover the cost of the event. This brings into question the viability of future bonfire events.
“The annual Harrogate charity Stray bonfire night has been a cherished tradition, bringing our community together for the past 52 years. However, due to the increased expenses and risks involved in its planning, we are faced with the unfortunate possibility that this may be the last Harrogate charity Stray bonfire night that Harrogate Round Table hosts, if we do not receive the necessary financial support.”
The statement appealed for donations to “ensure the continuity of this treasured tradition”.
A GoFundMe campaign with a £5,000 has currently generated less than £2,000. You can donate here.
The round table said:
“Your generosity will directly impact our ability to continue hosting these events for everyone to enjoy.
“The Harrogate Round Table team firmly believes in the power of community, and with your support, we can overcome the current challenges and continue to provide memorable experiences for all. Please join us in preserving this wonderful tradition for future generations.”
Read more:
- Man in 90s seriously injured after Harrogate collision
- Harrogate air base a ‘designated Islamic State target’, terrorism trial hears
Air ambulance called after pedestrian injured in Boroughbridge
Firefighters and an air ambulance rescued a man trapped beneath a vehicle in Boroughbridge last night.
The pedestrian was struck by the vehicle on Springfield Road at about 7pm, according to North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service.
He was then flown to hospital in one of two local air ambulance call-outs last night — a person also required the service following a collision on the A61 Ripon Road.
The incident report said:
“One male was trapped under the vehicle and released by crews using stabilising gear and crew power.
“Crews provided first aid until arrival of air ambulance, who transported the male to hospital suffering a leg injury.”
Firefighters from Boroughbridge and Knaresborough attended the incident.
Read more:
- Plans resubmitted for children’s nursery at farm shop near Boroughbridge
- Road closed after serious crash near Harrogate
Public meeting to be held about state of River Nidd
A public meeting is to be held in Knaresborough next month to discuss the campaign to improve water quality in the River Nidd.
The drop-in meeting will follow a similar format to the one held in March, which marked the start of the campaign.
Groups involved will give short presentations and talk to people on a one-to-one basis.
Topics will include the results of recent water sampling on the Nidd, which revealed high levels of faecal bacteria, the bid for bathing water status and Yorkshire Water’s business plan for 2025 to 2030.
Nidd Action Group, which includes Knaresborough town councillors, environmental campaigners, anglers, councillors and community groups, will again stage the event at the Centre-on-Gracious Street.
The meeting, titled ‘What do we know about the River Nidd and its tributaries – and what do we need to do?’ will take place on December 5 from 3pm to 6.30pm.
Stands and displays will enable visitors to familiarise themselves with the campaign, which was prompted by concerns about water quality and bathers at Knaresborough Lido suffering sickness and diarrhoea,
Andrew Jones, the Conservative MP for Harrogate and Knaresborough, submitted the bid for bathing water status to rivers minister Rebecca Pow last week.
If successful, government agencies would be obliged to take action to improve water quality at the lido. This would also improve water quality on a much longer stretch of the river.
The bid has been backed by 33 organisations and businesses, including Knaresborough Town Council, North Yorkshire Council, Yorkshire Agricultural Society and Bilton Conservation Group.
A decision is expected by the end of April next year.
Read more:
- High levels of faecal bacteria in River Nidd confirmed
- Knaresborough bridge to close tonight for nighttime resurfacing
Road closed after serious crash near Harrogate
A section of Ripon Road near Harrogate has been closed following a serious traffic collision this evening.
An air ambulance and numerous police cars were called to the bridge between New Park roundabout and Killinghall shortly before 6pm.
The incident occurred close to the junction with Knox Mill Lane.
No details have been released but the road is expected to be closed for some time.

The road closure in Killinghall.
Vehicles were forced to turn around and eventually the police closed a section of the A61 from New Park roundabout to the junction with Otley Road in the centre of Killinghall.
We will bring further details when they become available.
Read more:
- Police and fire HQ evacuated after person hands in grenades
- Emergency services called to person trapped in barbed wire in Harrogate
Valley Gardens bike track — further details revealed
Further details of the proposed new bike track in Harrogate’s Valley Gardens have been revealed.
North Yorkshire Council is running a six-week consultation on whether to replace the nine-hole pitch and putt course with a pump track.
Pump tracks use bumps and bends in the land to allow cyclists and scooter riders to generate momentum.
The consultation says the “new facility would be approximately 2,000 square metres”.
However, the council has now said the track itself wouldn’t be this size, and much of the pitch and putt course would be returned to grassland.
A council spokesperson said the track, which would cost £2,000, is likely to be similar in size to the one in Wetherby, which is shown below and in the main image. It could be open by April.
A council spokesperson said:
“It is a small beginners track that would be made of compacted hardcore.
“It would be 1 to 1.5 metres wide and will be based in a circular shape.
“The pump track is aimed at beginners to complement the existing skate park that attracts older and more competent children.
“It is not going to cover the whole area of the pitch and putt, only a smaller area where holes one to nine are. The frisbee golf is staying.”
Asked what would happen to the remainder of the pitch and putt area, the spokesperson added:
“The whole pitch and putt course would be closed and the remainder would be returned to normal parkland.”
Karl Battersby, the council’s corporate director for environment, previously said:
“The track proposed would have gentle slopes, curves and bumps, be accessible all year, and replace the existing nine-hole pitch and putt golf course.”
Read more:
- Harrogate and Knaresborough Lib Dems criticise homeless tent restriction plan
- New bike track could be in Harrogate’s Valley Gardens by April
Knaresborough bridge to close tonight for nighttime resurfacing
High Bridge in Knaresborough will be closed to nighttime traffic for the next 11 days from this evening due to resurfacing.
North Yorkshire Council posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, today that the closure will be in effect from 7pm until midnight daily until Friday, November 17.
It added a “fully signposted diversion” will be in place.
The grade two listed bridge over the River Nidd, which passes Mother Shipton’s Cave, is the main route into Knaresborough from the Starbeck direction.
Councillor Matt Walker, a Liberal Democrat who represents Knaresborough West, said it was a standard resurfacing project and he wasn’t aware of any concerns.
But he added:
“What the council haven’t done is put new lights over the bridge yet.
“This funding was put in place prior to us being elected and we keep getting a push back on when it will happen.”
Read more:
- Gothic dancers from Knaresborough seek recruits
- MP rejects company’s offer of Knaresborough asphalt plant discussions
Emergency services called to person trapped in barbed wire in Harrogate
Police and firefighters were called to deal with a person trapped in barbed wire in Harrogate yesterday.
Harrogate firefighters were summoned to assist police at Ripon Way, which runs alongside the former gasworks site earmarked for the new Tesco supermarket, at 9.06pm.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service‘s incident report said:
“Harrogate crews responded to assist police with a person trapped in barbed wire.
“The person was released prior to fire service arrival with no action taken by crews.”
No details of how the person became trapped, the extent of any injuries or the precise location on Ripon Way, have been released.
Firefighters also dealt with a fire at premises on Scriven Road in Knaresborough at 3.06am this morning.
The incident report said a gas pipe had caught fire. It added:
“Fire extinguished using two breathing apparatus and one hose reel. Incident handed into care of gas board.”
Read more:
- Air ambulance rescues horse rider in Bishop Thornton
- Gothic dancers from Knaresborough seek recruits