A local Labour Party activist has announced he is seeking the party’s nomination to contest Skipton and Ripon at the next general election.
Starbeck man Chris Watt, 46, has worked for the NHS for 15 years and is involved in a range of community organisations. He previously worked in Westminster for a minister in the last Labour government.
Candidates have until January 10 to put forward their names to stand against Conservative Julian Smith, who has held the seat since 2010.
Announcing his candidature today, Mr Watt said he used to work for the health trust that runs Ripon Community Hospital and community healthcare across the area.
Skipton and Ripon has been held by the Conservatives since it was created in 1983.
It has been designated a “non-battleground” seat by Labour, which is believed to be focusing more on Keighley.
But local Labour members were boosted by political forecasting website Electoral Calculus recently claiming it had a 53% chance of gaining Skipton and Ripon.
Mr Watt said:
“I’ve really enjoyed being out on the doorstep already with the Skipton and Ripon Labour team, talking to local voters about their concerns. It’s clear that tackling the cost of living crisis, improving public services and tackling anti-social behaviour are at the top of people’s minds.
“The latest polls show that it’s all to play for in Skipton and Ripon, with Labour poised to give Julian Smith and the Tories a real run for their money and potentially take the seat.
“So I think we need a candidate who not only has a track record of organising excellent campaigns, but who is dedicated to public service and can hit the ground running to deliver a brighter future for the area should they be elected by local people.”
Brian McDaid, a Skipton town councillor who finished runner-up to Mr Smith in 2019 with 11,266 votes, has already announced he intends to seek the party nomination again.
Read more:
- Labour starts search for Skipton and Ripon candidate
- Labour Party selects candidate to stand for North Yorkshire mayor
- Labour designates Harrogate and Knaresborough ‘non-battleground’ seat
Starbeck groups call truce and promise to work ‘positively together’
Two rival community groups in Starbeck have called a truce and are promising to work together.
Starbeck Residents Association, chaired by Chris Watt, was formed in the 1990s and awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.
Starbeck Community Group was launched by Starbeck Post Office owner Andrew Hart in 2020 and has been involved in several local campaigns including painting a giant Ukraine flag on the former McColl’s supermarket building.
But the group’s two leaders have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.
In May this year, Mr Hart then said it was “an insult to the community” that Labour Party member Mr Watt was standing for a political party in local elections and called on him to step down from his role as chair.
There have also been unpleasant comments on social media.
Read more:
Mr Watt, alongside SRA secretary Geoff Foxhall, met Mr Hart and SCG member Lucky Hubbard over the weekend and they agreed to put their differences aside and work together.
Mr Watt and Mr Hart issued a joint statement that said “public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck”.
The statement said:
Andrew Jones MP calls on Prime Minister for rail improvements“Starbeck is a wonderful area, where we are proud to live and work. The Starbeck Residents’ Association and Starbeck Community Group have been working hard, in our respective ways, to support the area. We complement the many other groups and organisations who put so much into Starbeck and we are proud to support them as well.
“For the good of our area, it is important that we work together. Public attacks and criticism of other local groups only create division and foster a negative impression of Starbeck among people who live here and are considering moving to or investing in our area. It also discourages people from contributing their time and energy into local groups and organisations.
“For the good of Starbeck, we are promising to work constructively and positively together.”
Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones today urged the Prime Minister to introduce more apprenticeships in the rail industry.
Speaking at Prime Minister’s Question Time, Mr Jones asked Boris Johnson if he would ensure there were apprenticeship schemes in place to help the industry become more efficient and embrace technology.
He called for the government to focus on training engineers and drivers in order to recover services lost during the covid pandemic.
The Conservative MP said:
“For years in Harrogate and Knaresborough we had the Labour no growth Northern rail franchise.
“We have new rolling stock, more and better services. We have though seen some lost as the industry has had to suspend some services while they catch up on driver training lost during the pandemic.
“Strikes just takes us back to the 1970s, so will the Prime Minister’s focus on the future ensure that we have apprenticeship schemes focussing on engineering and driver training to ensure we recover the services lost and an industry that’s focused upon efficiency and embraces technology for the future.”
Read more:
- Harrogate rail campaigner ‘optimistic’ early morning train could be reinstated
- No replacement buses for Harrogate district commuters during strike
- No trains for two days in Harrogate next week as strike action hits
In response, Mr Johnson said:
“We’re doing just that.
“We’re reforming train driver training to make entry into the sector simpler, while continuing of course to make sure we meet vital safety requirements.”
Chris Watt, a Labour Party campaigner in Harrogate and Knaresborough, responded on Twitter by saying that Harrogate was one of the last stations left with old fashioned Pacer trains during Mr Jones’ time as rail minister.
Labour admits ‘challenging’ elections in Harrogate districtExtraordinary #Harrogate #Knaresborough MP @AJonesMP to call for rail improvements #PMQs when he was Rail Minister (3 times) Harrogate line was one of the last in the country left suffering Pacer trains and under his @Conservatives Gov @northernassist have recently cut services!
— Chris Watt (@ChrisWatt4) June 22, 2022
Harrogate’s Labour Party has admitted last week’s local elections were “challenging” after failing to elect any councillors in the district.
Labour failed to finish better than third in any divisions in the Harrogate district.
Chris Watt, acting chair of the local party and candidate for Fairfax and Starbeck, said the party was still proud of its “positive campaign” despite the results for the new North Yorkshire Council.
He said:
“Our message of positive change has resonated, with many saying they were voting Labour for the first time and others strengthening their support for their local Labour candidate.
“Whilst we were disappointed not to make any gains, people clearly decided to kick the Tories by voting Liberal Democrat.”
There was success for Labour elsewhere in North Yorkshire as the party trebled the number of councillors it has serving the county.
Overall, the Conservatives narrowly maintained their control of North Yorkshire by electing just one more than the minimum number of councillors required for a majority.
Read more:
- North Yorkshire could get directly elected mayor by 2024
- New councillors urged to back creation of North Yorkshire Mayor
The Tories won 47 seats, while Labour and the Liberal Democrats took 12 each as five Green councillors were also elected.
Thirteen independents were also voted in, as well as one Liberal Party councillor.
Mr Watt added:
“We are delighted that Labour made gains across the new North Yorkshire Council.
“We meet regularly with North Yorkshire’s Labour councillors and will ensure that the important voice of Harrogate and Knaresborough is not ignored.”
Meanwhile, the Yorkshire Party had five candidates – including two in Harrogate – but did not see success in the May 5 vote.
The party’s leader Bob Buxton said:
Starbeck feud boils over after residents’ group chair stands for Labour“John Hall’s result in Spofforth with Lower Wharfedale and Tockwith was encouraging, so that’s clearly an area in which to build the party.
“It seems likely that there will be a North Yorkshire mayor next year. While the Yorkshire Party views mayors as largely powerless and budget-less, it is slightly better than no devolution at all.
“We finished third in both the South Yorkshire mayor election this year and West Yorkshire mayor election last year – people like our ideas on devolution and our demand for real powers and fair funding.
“In the meantime, there’s a parliamentary by-election in Wakefield, an area where we’re strong, giving us another opportunity to grow the Yorkshire Party.”
A feud between the owner of Starbeck Post Office and the chair of Starbeck Residents Association has boiled over after the latter decided to stand for the Labour Party in the upcoming local elections.
Voters will head to the polls on May 5 to elect councillors to the new North Yorkshire Council.
This week, Chris Watt was announced as the Labour candidate for the newly created ward of Fairfax and Starbeck.
Mr Watt is also the elected chair of the SRA, which awards grants and campaigns to safeguard local facilities in Starbeck.
However, Andrew Hart, who owns the local post office, believes the resident association’s constitution forbids political allegiances.
He claims Mr Watt is using his position as chair as a means of promoting his political platform and profile, which Mr Watt denies.

Mr Watt (centre) campaigning for Labour last month. Credit: Harrogate & Knaresborough Labour Party
The two have history — there was public acrimony when Mr Watt was appointed chair last year at the residents association’s annual general meeting.
Mr Hart set up a rival group called Starbeck Community Group, in part due to what he thinks are the failings of Starbeck Residents’ Association.
Read more:
- Starbeck shows support for Ukraine with giant painted flag
- Ex-chairman of Starbeck Bowling Club admits stealing £3,334
Mr Hart said it was “an insult to the community” that Mr Watt was standing for a political party and called on him to step down from his role as chair.
He said:
“Last summer I asked Chris Watt several times if he would be standing for Labour in these elections, he refused to answer. At the SRA AGM I asked him again but he refused to answer in public. I stated that it was against the constitution, it was also morally wrong and not transparent as he was already a political officer for the Labour Party.
“The very least he should do is explain why he would not admit he wanted to stand at the AGM when he was repeatedly asked and how can he justify canvassing whilst he is supposed to be the impartial chair of the SRA.
“He must resign now and seek re-election if he fails to become a county councillor. This has nothing to do with political allegiances it is about transparency and clear rules.”
‘I want to give something back’
In response, Mr Watt said:
Labour announce Harrogate and Knaresborough election candidates“I love living in Starbeck so want to give something back to our local community. I’m proud to serve as chair of the Starbeck Residents’ Association and work in partnership with local people in the best interests of our area, regardless of their political affiliation.
“I’ve never made any secret of my campaigning work with the local Labour Party. It was raised at the Starbeck Residents’ Association AGM and I was pleased to be elected overwhelmingly by over 80 local people with only two people voting against me.
“I am doing my best to repay the trust that local people placed in me and would be honoured to serve them further as their local councillor.”
The Labour Party has announced its candidates in Harrogate and Knaresborough for the upcoming local elections.
Voters will head to the polls on May 5 to elect councillors to the new North Yorkshire Council.
A full list of candidates for each ward including Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrats, Green Party and independent candidates is expected to be published on April 6.
The Labour Party has announced a candidate for every ward in Harrogate and Knaresborough.
Read more:
- No deals expected between Harrogate district opposition parties ahead of election
- Speculation mounts over Harrogate independent candidates after website set up
Among them include acting constituency party chair Chris Watt, retired teachers and a mental health nurse in the NHS.
The full list of candidates are:
- Geoff Foxall – High Harrogate and Kingsley
- David Crosthwaite – Knaresborough West
- Pat Foxall – Coppice Valley and Duchy
- Edward Clayson – Killinghall, Hampsthwaite and Saltergate
- Chris Watt – Fairfax and Starbeck
- Andrew Zigmond – Bilton Grange and New Park
- Deborah Anne Havercroft – Bilton Woodfield and Nidd Gorge
- John Adams – Harlow and St George’s
- Andrew Williamson – Valley Gardens and Central Harrogate
- Sharon Calvert – Knaresborough East
- Margaret Smith – Oatlands and Pannal
- Helen Burke – Stray, Woodlands and Hookstone


The move comes after opposition parties indicated they are not expected to agree to a pact ahead of polling day.
Harrogate and Knaresborough Green Party said it had reached out to both the Lib Dems and Labour, however the Stray Ferret understands no agreement has been made.Labour’s list of candidates indicates it intends to fight every ward.
Register to vote
A total of 13 councillors will be elected in Harrogate, Knaresborough and Boroughbridge to the new authority, with an average of 6,194 people to each representative. A further eight will be elected across Ripon, Pateley Bridge and Masham.
Those wishing to vote in the upcoming election have until April 14 to register to vote. You can register here.
Meanwhile, events will be held online for residents across Harrogate and Knaresborough to learn more about the upcoming unitary council.
People will be given the opportunity to ask a panel of senior council officials about the changes and what it means for them.
Wallace Sampson, chief executive of Harrogate Borough Council, and Neil Irving, from North Yorkshire County Council, will appear on the panel at the event on April 12. You can find more information on how to attend here.