The city’s ongoing retail revival received a Good Friday boost, with HALLS of Ripon department store opening its new showcase frontage this morning.
Ripon’s only department store closed for a major reconfiguration in January, but partially reopened on March 13.
This morning store director Mike Cooper told the Stray Ferret:
“We are delighted to be fully reopen for this important Easter trading period.”

The new display counters at Red Buttons Jewellers
He said:
“We had people working here through the night to make sure that our front doors on Fishergate would be open today.
“Now customers will be able to see the full picture of how the refurbishment has enabled us to revamp the layout, while creating space for existing independent traders to expand and for new entrants to set up business here.”
Zoe Wotherspoon, whose Robin Gifts ladies fashion and accessories occupies the prime front of store position, said:
“We were desperate to get open for the busy holiday period and look forward to welcoming existing and new customers to see what we are offering.
“In addition to our spring and summer fashions, we have introduced a new range of Ripon and Yorkshire cushions to add to the home and personal accessories that we sell.”
The reconfiguration has enabled her business to expand by 40 percent, while Linda Liversidge, proprietor of Montpellier Dressers – which, like Robin Gifts was previously located in Harrogate – has also expanded and increased its range of vintage high end fashion and accessories.

Ms Liversidge (pictured above) said:
“I started with one stall here and now have four. It’s such a good location for the type of goods that I sell.”
During the transformative works, entry was via the Marshall Way Car Park entrance and the Hive Cafe – which was able to remain open throughout.”

Hedley Hall’s vast array of vintage models and collectables has a fresh new look
Owned by Ripon-based property investment and development company Sterne Properties Limited, the former Wrens store reopened under its new HALLS of Ripon branding in July 2021.
Main image: Zoe Wotherspoon owner of Robin Gifts, is pictured outside HALLS of Ripon’s now reopened Fishergate entrance with director Mike Cooper.
Read more:
- Ripon-based property company plans further investment in the city
- Famous Halls retail name back on Ripon high street
‘Few teething issues’ with North Yorkshire Council launch, say political leaders
Few teething issues have emerged during first month of the new North Yorkshire Council, the leaders of its political groups have agreed.
Councillors said residents facing confusion over who to contact and delays of about 30 minutes when trying to phone the council’s call centre had been the most major cause of concern since the county council and seven district authorities fused operations on April 1.
Ahead of North Yorkshire Council’s launch its chief executive Richard Flinton warned while the authority’s basic infrastructure had been created ahead “snagging issues” were expected when the new council launched due to the scale of the merger and “eight different ways of working”.
When asked whether he was pleased with how the transfer had gone so far, the Conserative-run council’s leader, Cllr Carl Les said:
“Yes. It has gone surprisingly well, but with the amount of effort put in by Richard Flinton and his team I shouldn’t be surprised.”
He added:
“We always said if you are going to chose a time to do local government reorganisation you wouldn’t necessarily be coming out of a pandemic with a war going on in Ukraine and various other things happening.
“You wouldn’t chose to launch on April 1, when council tax bills are going out for a new authority and people renew their garden waste collection waste collections with the new authority, but still have phone numbers for the old authorities.”
Read more:
- Civic society backs creation of Harrogate town council
- Just 3.5% responded to Harrogate town council consultation
- Liberal Democrats back creation of Harrogate town council
Speaking ahead of a meeting behind closed doors with Mr Flinton and the other political group leaders to discuss the council’s first month, Cllr Les said the unitary’s contact centre had become deluged, resulting in lengthy answering delays and potentially some residents hanging up.
He said:
“The contact centres have been busy and have not been as to strength as we thought they might be. We are taking steps to increase recruitment and increase training.”
The leaders of the council’s other political groups agreed no other major issues had emerged during the authority’s first month.

North Yorkshire Council civic centre at Knapping Mount.
Labour group leader Cllr Steve Shaw Wright said while the unitary authority appeared to be “generally working”, its call centre had been “an absolute abomination”.
He added:
“Selby Town Council just can’t do anything because people have been forever ringing them up because North Yorkshire’s call centre doesn’t work.”
Green group leader Cllr Kevin Foster said:
“This has been a massive undertaking and on the whole things have gone very well. There’s still lots of work to do, but if you’d asked me if I’d have accepted this when the changeover went in I would have grabbed it with both hands.”
Liberal Democrat group leader Cllr Bryn Griffiths said residents struggling to find phone numbers to contact the unitary, which was “trying to force people to use the internet a lot”, and delays in answering, had represented “a mixed start” for the unitary.
He added:
“With a big organisation of about 10,000 employees there are bound to be a few hiccups.”
Independent group leader Cllr Stuart Parsons added:
“Things could have gone better, but it also could have gone a lot worse.”
He said the centralised call centre had not appeared to work as well as “phoning the old numbers for district council call centres”.
Cllr Parsons said:
Harrogate district goes to the polls tomorrow“It’s been mainly hiccups, nothing major appears to have gone wrong, which is very comforting. It’s just a question of trying to iron out the hiccups and ensuring services improve considerably.”
People in the Harrogate district will go to the polls tomorrow for perhaps the most important local elections for almost 50 years.
Voters will shape key services for 600,000 people in the county by deciding the political make-up of the new North Yorkshire Council.
The unitary authority, which comes into existence on April 1 next year, will replace North Yorkshire County Council and seven district councils, including Harrogate Borough Council.
Councillors elected tomorrow will serve the final year of North Yorkshire County Council and then a further four years on North Yorkshire Council.
It represents the biggest shake-up in local government in North Yorkshire since 1974, when the current structure of local government was introduced.
Tomorrow’s elections will see 310 candidates contest 90 seats in 89 electoral divisions.
Read more:
- Plans to redevelop Harrogate council’s former headquarters set to be approved
- Miles of bunting wrapped around Ripon for the jubilee
The Conservative Party, which currently controls North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council, is fielding candidates in all 90 seats. There will also be 67 Labour and Co-operative Party candidates, 48 Green Party candidates, 45 Liberal Democrats and 45 Independents. The remaining 15 candidates will be from a range of other smaller parties.
Richard Flinton, the county returning officer for the election who is also the chief executive of North Yorkshire County Council, said:
“This is an opportunity for everyone who is registered to vote to help decide on who they want to represent them at what is a defining moment for North Yorkshire.
“The importance of these elections is hugely significant, as it not only lays the foundations for the decision-makers for the new unitary authority, but it also paves the way for a devolution deal for North Yorkshire and York.”
The government has stipulated that a new unitary authority is a key requirement for any devolution deal for North Yorkshire, which could see an elected mayor with new powers.
Polling stations will be open across the county from 7am until 10pm tomorrow.
More details about the new electoral divisions and the May 5 county council elections are available here.
No Conservatives standing for Ripon City Council elections this May
For the first time ever, no Conservative candidates will be seeking election to Ripon City Council on May 5.
The party is fielding candidates though in the election being held on the same day for the new North Yorkshire Council.
The apparent bloc decision means the Conservatives have disengaged from grassroots parish politics in the city with devolution less than a year away.
Who is standing in the Ripon City Council election?
While the ballot for Ripon’s two seats on the new unitary North Yorkshire authority will be hotly-contested, the election for the 12 city council seats is looking more clear cut.
In the Minster Ward, Independents Pauline McHardy, Chris Hardisty and Tony Duncan, are already elected, because no other candidates are standing against them.
With no Labour candidates standing either, the nine remaining city council seats in the Moorside, Spa and Ure Bank wards are up for grabs in a two-way fight between the Independents and Liberal Democrats.
In the Moorside Ward, current councillors Peter Horton and Andrew Williams, are standing for the Independents, along with Julia Martin-Long, while Tom Cavell-Taylor and Paul Dinning are standing for the Liberal Democrats.
The Spa Ward sees Barbara Brodigan and Bill Swaney, of the Liberal Democrats, against Independents Jackie Crozier, Stuart Flatley and Walter Woods, while Mayor Eamon Parkin and fellow independents Jo Bate and Sid Hawke are standing for re-election in the Ure Bank ward against Liberal Democrats Libby Clements and Helen Mason.
Disengagement from parish politics
The Conservatives’ disengagement from parish council politics, comes at a time when the demise of the Harrogate district, potentially puts greater emphasis on grassroots decision making and the running of services.
In the devolution melting pot are issues such as ownership and operation of assets including Ripon Town Hall, Hugh Ripley Hall, Market Square, Spa Gardens and Spa Park.

Former mayor John Richmond (pictured above) told the Stray Ferret there’s a need for the city to be represented from the grassroots upwards.
Mr Richmond emphasised how important it is people vote, saying:
“Irrespective of whose name people plan to put their X against on May 5, I urge them to use their vote, because the bigger the turnout means the greater the mandate that those selected to represent us will have, when it comes to fighting for what Ripon requires.”
The independent-controlled city council has, with the support of Conservatives, called for assets handed over to Harrogate at the last major local government reorganisation in 1974, to be returned to the city’s ownership from the soon to be defunct borough.
The Conservatives have also voted unanimously with the independents over the past two years to freeze the Ripon parish precept and there was also unanimity between the two groups in calling for Homes England to reduce the number of houses at the huge barracks development, amid concerns that the city’s road infrastructure could end up in perpetual gridlock.
The need for consensus at grassroots level
Although he is no longer involved in politics or aligned to any party, Mr Richmond remains passionate about the future of the city.
He advised:
“If ever there was a time for consensus and bi-partisan decision making at a very local level, that time is now.”
Mr Richmond, who was first elected in 1967, when he stood for the Conservatives, subsequently became an Independent and served as Mayor of Ripon in 1975-1976:
He pointed out
“The local government reorganisation in 1974 was a turbulent time, as we were going into totally unknown territory.
“The seat of power was no longer at Ripon Town Hall, but divided between the newly-created Harrogate District and North Yorkshire County Council.
“Against this backdrop of change and uncertainty, I soon learned how important it was to work alongside people of different political colours, when fighting for local issues.
“They, of course, were going to fight their corner for the people that voted them in and I was going to do the same for Ripon.”
Read more:
- Ripon author’s support for Ukrainian refugees
- Ripon club offers a free introduction to croquet
- Tickets on sale for Ripon’s first Theatre Festival
Baroness enters battle for Masham at next month’s election
The owner of Swinton Estate in Masham has thrown her hat into the ring to be one of 90 councillors elected to North Yorkshire Council.
Felicity Cunliffe-Lister, whose formal title is Baroness Masham, has put herself forward as an independent candidate when voters head to the polls on May 5.
She will stand in the Masham and Fountains division against Conservative Margaret Atkinson, who has held the division for nine years, and Liberal Democrat Judith Hooper.
All three candidates have spoken to the Stray Ferret this week.
Conservative: ‘My priorities are the community and the countryside’

Conservative Margaret Atkinson has represented Masham and Fountains on North Yorkshire County Council for nine years and Fountains and Ripley on Harrogate Borough Council for 20 years.
Ms Atkinson, who lives in Kirkby Malzeard, said abolishing the two councils for the new unitary authority was a “brilliant idea” because it would devolve more power and funding directly to local communities.
She said her priorities would remain the same:
“My priorities have always been the community and the countryside. They are two huge issues for this rural area.”
Ms Atkinson, who lives on a farm, said she was concerned about the closure of rural schools and the impact of high house prices on young people, as well as by the ageing population and the state of roads.
She said she had been “fighting for these things” constantly and the lack of progress in some areas was down to “shortage of money” from national government. She felt the devolution agenda would make it easier for the new council to take decisive action.
Asked what set her apart from her rivals, she said it was her long-term commitment to local causes and her deep roots in the community:
“I have always lived in this area. I went to school in this area and did my children and grandchildren.”
Independent: ‘I feel like I’ve got a lot to give’

Felicity Cunliffe-Lister has owned the Swinton estate with her husband Mark since 2000 and the couple have spent the past two decades building up the business.
But she says the time is right to do something different and to help others in the rural community.
She said:
“I have been running a business now for over 20 years with around 150 members of staff.
“I feel like I have got quite a lot to give and have some great experience.”
Ms Cunliffe-Lister said retaining young people in rural areas and improving standards of services elderly residents were key issues for the new council.
“I feel that we have to do everything we can to improve young people’s opportunities.
“I want young people in this area to feel engaged in their rural communities. I do think there is a lot to be said to draw in all the resources that we have. Businesses for example, they are a great resource.”
Read more:
- No deals expected between Harrogate district opposition parties ahead of election
- Council chiefs promise ‘seamless transition’ to new North Yorkshire Council
- Full list of election candidates in Harrogate district revealed
She described loneliness, particularly among older people in rural areas like Masham, as a “simple but profound issue”.
A lawyer from Devon, Ms Cunliffe-Lister has been a governor at Masham Primary School for four years, a trustee at Masham Almshouses, a charity that provides housing for those in need, and has also served on charity boards in Ripon and the north east.
Her goals, if elected, include improving “faith in the system” and finding something tangible from the government’s “levelling up” agenda. She said:
“I would like to feel that if I was elected there would be a level of engagement that they [the residents] do not feel is there at the moment.”
Ms Cunliffe-Lister also highlighted more immediate issues, such as fixing potholes.
Despite being new to the political arena and heading into a campaign without a team, she said she felt ready to “get out there”.
Liberal Democrat: “passionate about openness and community”

Liberal Democrat candidate Judith Hooper and her husband have a smallholding of 11 acres that they are rewilding.
She worked closely with councillors during her career as a GP and director of public health in Kirklees. Most recently she helped at covid vaccination centres
Her priorities are engaging with communities to understand their issues and addressing inequalities.
“I am appalled by the lack of contact with local councillors since moving into the area eight years ago.”
Her priorities are: holding regular public meetings rather than “taking votes for granted”, getting fair planning decisions and “tackling the climate crisis and thus fuel issues and increasing fuel poverty”.
She added she wanted to see more opportunities for activities for young people and to see what could be done to address the playground flooding in Masham.
“Probably above all, I am a Lib Dem because I’m passionate about openness, communities working with local people and the environment
“Our house is moving towards being carbon neutral by ground source heating and having planted nearly 4,000 trees and shrubs ,which help to offset some of our carbon emissions.”
Full list of candidates
Voters will head to the polls on May 5 to elect councillors to the new North Yorkshire Council, which will replace both North Yorkshire County Council and Harrogate Borough Council.
The Labour Party, Liberal Democrats, Conservatives, Green Party and independents have all fielded candidates ahead of polling day.
You can read the full list of candidates here.
Five Harrogate independents to stand for new councilFive independent candidates are to stand for the new North Yorkshire Council in Harrogate and Boroughbridge.
Anna McIntee (Stray, Woodlands, Hookstone), Lucy Gardiner (Valley Gardens & Central Harrogate), Sarah Hart (Harlow Hill and St Georges) Daniel Thompson (Coppice Valley and Duchy) and Jon Starkey (Boroughbridge & Claro) have all put their names forward for the election on May 5.
They say they are hoping to capitalise on anger felt towards new housing and cycling schemes in Harrogate.
The independents are aligned together and last week launched a website called ‘Time for a Change’ that is critical of contentious decisions, such as housing developments in the Kingsley area and the ongoing Harrogate Station Gateway project.
Ms McIntee and Ms Gardiner set up Harrogate Residents Association website and Facebook group last year.
The five independents believe there is an appetite in the district for an alternative to Conservative and Liberal Democrat councillors, who they believe have let the town down.
Ms McIntee said:
“I’ve got nothing to lose. I’m really passionate about Harrogate. I’m really concerned about what’s happening to the town. If we don’t get in, where’s it going to end?”
Full interview to follow tomorrow.
