In the first of a series of articles on crime issues in the Harrogate district, candidates standing to be North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner are questioned on women’s safety.
The resignation of North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Philip Allott has thrown a spotlight on the safety of women and girls.
Mr Allott quit last month after a two-week storm of sustained criticism over his comments that women needed to be more “streetwise” in the wake of the murder of Sarah Everard.
And now, the five candidates competing to replace him at next Thursday’s election have had their say on how they would tackle the problem, with one promising an inquiry into misogyny at North Yorkshire Police.
Hannah Barham-Brown, Women’s Equality Party
Hannah Barham-Brown, who is standing for the Women’s Equality Party, said she would launch the probe if elected as she believes women and girls have been “let down” and “deserve better”.
She said:
“As a GP, the deputy leader of the Women’s Equality Party and as a queer, disabled woman myself, I have years of campaigning experience and a lifetime of lived experience when it comes to women’s safety and freedom.
“I am determined to deliver better for my community by launching an independent inquiry into misogyny in North Yorkshire Police, ensuring a trauma-informed and victim-led approach to investigations and implementing compulsory training for all agencies working with black and minoritised women who are victims of violence – amongst other things.”
James Barker, Liberal Democrats
There are two men in the election race – and both previously stood when Conservative Mr Allott was elected by a margin of more than 31,000 votes in May.
This includes York Liberal Democrat councillor James Barker who said the current situation for women and girls is “troubling”.
He said:
“There were 597 rape cases recorded in North Yorkshire in the year to March 2020 of which 88% involved female victims, as did 85% of 635 sexual assaults.
“There were over 7,000 crimes flagged as domestic abuse, but there will be harassment and worse that goes unreported.”
Cllr Barker, who served in the military for 24 years, added:
“There is much to do, but as a start I would want to increase efforts to prevent and detect violence against women and girls.
“This will include ensuring all frontline staff are trained to detect and respond appropriately to domestic abuse, sexual violence and sexual harassment.”
Read More:
- Police commissioner: Who is standing to succeed Philip Allott in North Yorkshire?
- Acting police commissioner confirmed after Philip Allott resignation
Keith Tordoff, Independent
Independent candidate Keith Tordoff, who served for 20 years at West Yorkshire Police, also said women and girl’s safety was a priority and that he wanted to bring Clare’s Law more into public view.
Clare’s Law aims to prevent domestic abuse and is named after 36-year-old Clare Wood who was murdered by her ex-boyfriend in Greater Manchester in 2009.
Mr Tordoff added:
“I want to review work already under way by the police and find things which could be done better, such as benchmarking Domestic Violence Protection Notices, Domestic Violence Protection Orders usage and using new resolution schemes like the Cautions and Relationship Abuse programme.
“I have ideas around tackling rape culture with public education, looking at a way of having independent oversight of rape and abuse decisions and investigations.
“I want to update police vetting and stop officers using WhatsApp on duty too.”
Zoe Metcalfe, Conservative
Harrogate councillor Zoe Metcalfe is the Conservative candidate and said improving safety for everyone – particularly women and girls – was at the top of her agenda.
She said it is “unacceptable” that females are subject to harassment, abuse and violence, adding:
“I will expand the support available to victims and survivors, introduce preventative measures to stop the violence happening in the first place and commission outside agencies to work with teachers in delivering healthy relationship, sex and health education.
“I will also increase the pathways to report domestic abuse and commission domestic abuse workers in A&Es.”
Emma Scott-Spivey, Labour
The final candidate is Labour’s Emma Scott-Spivey who is a student paramedic and the daughter of two police officers.
She described violence against women and girls as an “endemic” and said she would “restore trust” in the commissioner’s office if elected.
She said:
“My first priority as commissioner would be to restore trust and rebuild our frontline – repairing the damage done by Philip Allott and making sure our emergency services have the tools they need to keep us safe.
“The culture of male violence and how politicians and public services respond to it must change urgently.
“I will appoint a senior leadership officer to drive forward the police’s response and work with women’s groups, community groups, schools and victims organisations to make women and girls safer.”
The announcement of the election results will take place on 26 November – the day after voters go to the polls.
Conservatives win Bilton and Nidd Gorge by-electionThe Conservatives have gained the Bilton and Nidd Gorge seat on North Yorkshire County Council from the Liberal Democrats.
Matt Scott, candidate for the Tories, won the seat with 1,991 votes.
The by-election was held following the death of former Liberal Democrat councillor, Geoff Webber.
Read more:
The full results were:
- Matt Scott, Conservative – 1,991
- Andrew Kempston-Parkes, Liberal Democrats – 1,639
- Tyler Reeton, Labour Party – 434
- Arnold Warneken, Green Party – 430
- John Hall, Yorkshire Party – 136
- Harvey Alexander, Independent – 46
More to follow.
North Yorkshire crime candidates: Conservative and LabourVoters head to the polls tomorrow to elect a new police, fire and crime commissioner for North Yorkshire.
As candidates finalise campaigning ahead of the poll, they have spoken of what they view as the biggest tasks facing Conservative Julia Mulligan’s successor to ensure the best policing service possible is delivered.
Today, we feature Philip Allott, Conservative candidate, and Labour’s Alison Hume.
You can read about the Liberal Democrat and Independent candidates here.
Philip Allott, Conservative
A toughened approach to crack down on county lines drug dealing would be the top of marketing specialist Philip Allott’s agenda if he is named the new commissioner.
The former pupil at King James’ School in Knaresborough said despite the best endeavours of North Yorkshire Police and the regional crime unit, county lines dealers “are obviously still very active in North Yorkshire”.
Dismissing a suggestion that the issue was persisting due to a lack of resources to tackle it, he said government funding was being directed to the regional crime unit.
He said:
“The thing I am interested in is making the drug dealers’ lives a misery. In many cases there is intelligence and we can use that intelligence to stop vehicles on suspicion, particularly cross-border.”
Mr Allott said he would push for further work to enable teachers to spot pupils who are part of county lines drug dealing, help housing associations to identify cuckooing and action to spot children carrying drugs on railways.
He said:
“The police on their own are not going to solve this and I see my role as working with different agencies, getting them all on board and actually communicating with each other, sharing intelligence and working for the greater good.”
Mr Allott said as commissioner he would also foster closer working with other agencies, launching a “complete reset” between the councils and the commissioner’s office.
He said:
“We should be working for the greater good. I see the councillors from each of the different authorities as the eyes and ears of the commissioner. I see it as a partnership approach and that’s perhaps a very different way of looking at things.”
Read more:
- Political parties confirm candidates for police commissioner elections
- Labour crime candidate: county lines is ‘ripping families apart’
- Tory crime candidate: No plans to close more police stations
Alison Hume, Labour
Clamping down on serious crime, rural crime and antisocial behaviour would be among York-based lecturer and TV writer Alison Hume’s top priorities.
But the most important issue for her would be tackling violence against women and girls, using some of the commissioner’s £5m pot for victims to introduce a clear strategy working across all agencies and attract further funding to get to grips with what she describes as “a national emergency”.
She said:
“If this was happening to men, dare I say it would have been dealt with.”
Ms Hume said the greatest challenge for the incoming commissioner would be to connect with the public.
She said:
“You have to be the voice of the people and for the last nine years we’ve had a commissioner who hasn’t been visible and approachable.”
Ms Hume added tackling county lines was “clearly number one on the list” of challenges for North Yorkshire Police.
She said:
“Crime gangs are ripping our families and communities apart. support the creation of a specialist enforcement unit to track criminals on roads and railways and support drug diversion schemes to reduce harm and demand.
“The people who get caught up in county lines are not criminals, they are victims, we need to build safe services to prevent them going into a life of crime. North Yorkshire does not get a fair share of the pie and I will be fighting at a national level for better funding.”
She said she would establish a rural crime taskforce in every district, with officers trained in dealing with offences ranging from domestic abuse to wildlife crime.
She added:
Andrew Jones MP calls for debate on stricken conference sector“I think the public would be shocked to know the rural crime taskforce is just a handful of officers and they have to cover the whole of North Yorkshire.”
Harrogate and Knaresborough MP Andrew Jones has called for a Commons debate on the stricken conference industry.
Speaking in Parliament, Mr Jones said the sector was “central to the economy” of both towns he represented but faced “real hardship” due to the pandemic.
Mr Jones said:
“One sector of business that has faced real hardship is the conference industry, a sector with a long and diverse supply chain, ranging from hospitality to exhibition stand construction.
“Please may we have a debate about that sector, to consider what can be done to ensure that it bounces back quickly, as it is so important for jobs and it is central to the economy of not only Harrogate and Knaresborough, but, of course, other constituencies around the UK?”
Read more:
- Harrogate district MPs claim £536,000 in expenses last year
- MPs watch 2020: the year of coronavirus, Brexit and free school meals
Leader of the House of Commons Jacob Rees-Mogg did not agree to the request but said event venues and organisers could make use of initiatives such as the furlough scheme and various grants.
He added:
“I join my honourable friend in praising the Harrogate convention centre for becoming a Nightingale hospital and therefore being able to help the community widely.”

NHS Nightingale Hospital Yorkshire and the Humber, based at Harrogate Convention Centre.
Judith Rogerson, the Liberal Democrat parliamentary spokesperson for Harrogate and Knaresborough, described Mr Rees-Mogg’s response as “wholly inadequate”.
She added:
“It is striking that Jacob Rees-Mogg’s response on behalf of the government does not answer the question.
“Instead he has talked about the Harrogate Convention Centre helping the community by becoming a Nightingale hospital.
“I’d like to know what the government has planned to help restore the convention centre so it is ready to re-open again as soon as it is safe to do so.”
The convention centre was turned into a Nightingale hospital at breakneck speed last spring for covid patients in Yorkshire and the Humber, but has yet to treat a single person with coronavirus. It has been used for CT scans.
Knock-on effect
The effects of the pandemic on the conferences and events sector in the town have been profound, with several businesses closing their doors for good.
The Kimberley Hotel closed in December, citing the impact of covid and in October family events firm Joe Manby Ltd folded after 46 years.
This month would have seen the convention centre host the BIGGA turf management exhibition, which is an annual three-day conference for green-keepers that is one of the year’s biggest money-spinners for Harrogate — with hotels full and bar tills ringing.
Mr Jones urged Boris Johnson to provide financial support for the conference and exhibition industry at Prime Minister’s Questions last year but that plea also went unheeded.
Councillors clash over free parking pledge for NHS workersNorth Yorkshire councillors clashed over a proposed pledge to encourage NHS hospital trusts to keep on-site parking free for staff.
Lib Dem Cllr Geoff Webber put forward a motion today to support free parking and claimed two Conservative councillors spoiled it.
Cllr Richard Cooper, also the leader of Harrogate Borough Council, put forward an amendment that removed all references to free parking.
The amendment instead said the council “supports and encourages measures which enable their staff to travel to and from work sustainably.”
Harrogate District Hospital confirmed that parking will remain free for staff, visitor and patients. The trust said that after national reports that the government planned to scrap it.
Read more:
- Parking at Harrogate hospital will remain free for NHS workers
- Harrogate District Hospital reports no further coronavirus deaths
The Department for Health and Social Care said in response to the speculation that free parking will be in place for staff “during the pandemic.” It did not make reassurances beyond that.
Cllr Geoff Webber hit out at Cllr Richard Cooper after the meeting today. He said:
“This is a typical Richard Cooper trick designed to spoil motions from any other party and a tactic he has used frequently on Harrogate Borough Council. I am disgusted at this sort of manipulation.”
It will now go to a scrutiny committee before going back to the council for a debate and vote. The Lib Dems said the outcome is a “foregone conclusion.”
The Stray Ferret approached Cllr Richard Cooper for a comment but received no reply by the time of publication.
