‘It could happen to anyone’, says Harrogate woman who had stroke at 37

At just 37-years-old, a Harrogate woman suffered a stroke that left her needing emergency surgery and permanently altered her outlook on life.

Caroline Brady is sharing her story today, on World Stroke Day, in hope of raising awareness that a stroke can happen to anyone, no matter their age.

On January 17, 2020 she was working as a fitness instructor at Harrogate’s David Lloyd gym when she began slurring her speech.

Ms Brady finished teaching her abs class but over the next two hours continued to slur and felt dizzy.

Her colleagues grew concerned and called for an ambulance. The paramedics performed a stroke assessment, which she passed, so she was taken to Harrogate District Hospital for further investigation.

Four hours after the initial signs, Ms Brady lost control of her left side and had a stroke in hospital at 1.30pm.

By 4pm she was in theatre to remove a clot on her brain. She said she remembers “a feeling of urgency” around her but it wasn’t until she came round that she understood what had just happened.

Fresh outlook on life

Since then, Ms Brady has been focused on recovery. She said she was “extremely lucky” to have recovered to the extent that she’s back at work, walking and even running.

She has returned to David Lloyd working part-time as a receptionist, but said her outlook on life has changed.

“It’s been a hard journey back to work. I was very work conscious, always picking up extra hours and covering for people but going back after the stroke I knew I couldn’t do the same.

“So I had a word with myself and said ‘you aren’t weak to slow down’. When you have such a shock at a young age, with no underlying health issues, you can’t help but think differently.”

She no longer teaches gym classes and has been advised to stop weight training but says she is happy just to be walking and occasionally running again.

Ms Brady is enjoying the outdoors again.

Following her experiences, she is determined to raise awareness of strokes and who they can affect.

She added:

“For anyone that knows me it was a huge shock, you never expect to hear ‘I’ve had a stroke’ from a young person. But it can happen to anyone.

“There’s also a misconception that if you have one at a young age you will recover well, but that’s not always the case.”

Ms Brady said she was extremely lucky to be treated so quickly. Other young stroke survivors she’s met were left for hours waiting for a diagnosis by doctors who didn’t diagnose a stroke.


Read more:


She is holding a 12-hour charity event at the gym today from 8am to 8pm. Members and staff are walking or running on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a time to raise funds for A Stroke of Luck, a charity that gives stroke survivors access to fitness professionals to help with recovery.

To donate click here.

Stray bonfire organisers appeal for more donations

The organisers of the 50th anniversary charity bonfire and fireworks on the Stray have appealed for more donations to ensure a successful event in nine days time.

An online gofundme page set up by Harrogate and District Round Table has so far attracted £1,220 in donations towards a goal of £8,000 with just over a week to go until the event on Saturday, November 6.

There will be a bucket fundraising collection on the night and people will be encouraged to text to donate £5. But with the current total being so short of the goal, the organisers have appealed for a flurry of online donations over the next week.

The event is organised by volunteers, who try to keep costs low but they have to spend money on fireworks, transportation of pallets and road traffic management.


Read more:


The £8,000 figure is how much the event costs to put on, and the Round Table always donates any profits to charity. This year’s charity is the Friends of Harrogate Hospital.

John Carter, who is in charge of organising the bonfire for the Round Table this year, told the Stray Ferret:

“We are going to put on a big bonfire and fireworks display. We hope people will enjoy the event after a pretty miserable 18 months.

“There is the online fundraiser but we will have lots of bucket shaking on the night as well as the text to donate. It is the first time we have done the online fundraiser.

“Over the years the amount we have raised on the night has dwindled as people don’t tend to carry cash so we are encouraging donations in other ways.”

120 marathons in 120 days: Harrogate man completes epic trek

A Harrogate man crossed the finish line today after completing a mammoth challenge of 120 marathons in 120 days.

Graham Wilson, a retired police constable, found well-earned relief at Harrogate sports bar The Den after 3,180 miles.

Before setting off, Graham had raised more than £40,000 for 15 charities, including Macmillan Cancer Support, British Heart Foundation, Saint Michael’s Hospice and Harrogate Homeless Project.

He hopes to reach his goal of £50,000.

Speaking after he crossed the line, he said:

“I’m emotional, it’s been three years of hard work and training and it’s just sort of come to an end suddenly. We’ve had a terrific journey all over the UK and the welcome in Harrogate was just amazing.”

Check out our Facebook live to see him crossing the line.

Graham Wilson and his wife Marion

Graham has walked 26 miles every day for four months, with his wife Marion and dog Tilly supporting him from the sidelines.

The pandemic delayed his challenge by 15 months and meant he couldn’t stick to his original plan of including marathons in Europe.

He added:

“I retired from the police and needed something to do. We’ve always been in to long-distance walking so we set a map of where we wanted to go.

“Initially we should have been going to Europe for 44 days and doing extra but we couldn’t. We made the best of a bad situation and came up with a plan.

“The first and last was always going to be in Harrogate.”


Read more:


Graham was a police officer for nearly 30 years and raised funds for charities before retiring.

Bex Moorhouse, a former colleague and Harrogate police officer, who was there to support him today, said:

“We all just feel super proud of him. He’s just so humble, to speak to him about what he’s done it’s just like he hasn’t done anything but it’s huge. This morning he was smiley Graham as usual and we are all just super proud of him for keeping going.

“He’s said some mornings Marion has had to kick him out of bed but he’s doing it for the charities and that’s keeping him going.”

To donate to the challenge click here.

Stump Cross Caverns owners live underground for 105 hours

The owners of Stump Cross Caverns are taking on a mammoth 105-hour stay underground to raise money.

Lisa Bowerman and Nicholas Markham, who own the limestone caves near Pateley Bridge, are staying in one of the caverns as part of a crowdfunding campaign for new cave lighting.

Speaking to the Stray Ferret, Ms Bowerman said the move was inspired by Geoff Workman, who in 1963 spent 105 days in one of the caverns and broke the previous world record for time spent continuously underground by 40 days.

The pair have set a crowdfunding target of £200,000 and will remain in the cave until 8pm on Friday.

Ms Bowerman told the Stray Ferret:

“We decided that we needed to do something crazy. It’s a massive undertaking and we need this crowdfunder to work.

“I said to Nick that if we do nothing then we will get nothing.”


Read more:


The couple, who are dressed as a caveman and cavewoman, are live streaming their stay in the cavern every day on their Facebook page.

As part of the fundraising campaign, the pair have also decided to raffle off their £130,000 flat in Pateley Bridge.

They hope to sell 20,000 tickets for £10 each to generate funds to maintain the ancient limestone caves.

In March, the couple raffled their VW Campervan, which raised £72,5000 in 40 days — enough money to keep the caverns open.

You can find out more on how to support the Stump Cross Caverns campaign here.

Dean’s banquet raises £16,000 for Ripon Cathedral

The Dean of Ripon’s annual banquet has raised £16,000 for the city’s cathedral.

Last year’s event was cancelled due to covid but the 2021 evening of feast and fundraising was attended by 150 guests, including sponsors, local businesses, parishioners and members of the public.

The Very Rev John Dobson, said:

“What a pleasure it was to welcome the guests to the 2021 Dean’s banquet in the spectacular surroundings of Ripon Cathedral.

“For over 1,300 years people have gathered in this sacred space to celebrate life’s joys and blessings. I am extremely grateful for the remarkable levels of generosity that have been shown by the community, particularly over the last year.”

Photo of the Dean of Ripon

Dean John said thanks for the generosity shown.

The sparking evening was supported by business partners Raworths solicitors, in Harrogate, and wealth management firm Brewin Dolphin, Leeds.

A champagne reception welcomed guests back in to the cathedral once more and a four course dinner, provided by the Yorkshire Party Company, was followed by a live auction conducted by John Tennant and a silent auction.

A number of high value raffle prizes were donated, including dinner for two at Grantley Hall, two cases of wine and a family season pass to Newby Hall.

The prize draw proved popular, raising £1,170 on the night. The vouchers and prizes were donated by local businesses keen to support the cathedral as it recovers from the financial impact of the pandemic.

Guests were entertained by magician Rob Hutchinson and danced to a silent disco wearing headphones.

The date of next year’s banquet will be Friday 14 October to mark the end of the 1,350th anniversary of St Wilfrid celebrations, which will be taking place throughout 2022.

For further information about how to get involved or to pre-book places contact margarethammond@riponcathedral.org.uk.

 

 

 

 

Harrogate woman discovers she’s pregnant and has cancer within a month

A young woman from Harrogate has urged people to check themselves after finding out she was pregnant and had breast cancer within a month.

Nicky Davis, 38, found out she was pregnant with her “miracle baby” on April 14 after three failed rounds of IVF.

But exactly a month later she was diagnosed with stage two breast cancer after finding a lump.

At first she thought the lump could be related to her pregnancy but it wasn’t. The cancer was in her breast and spread to the skin causing an orange peel effect.

She began chemotherapy in June when she was 11 weeks pregnant and will keep going until November before giving birth.

Nicky said:

“We’d been trying for a baby for a long time so it was an absolute miracle.

“My cancer is hormone-responsive so it’s likely I’ve always had cancerous cells but the pregnancy had a huge impact. Without the baby I may never have known, this baby basically saved my life.

“We went from the highest of highs then to the lowest of lows.”

A week ago, Nicky had a single mastectomy to remove her breast and several lymph nodes to prevent the cancer spreading.

Due to her high risk pregnancy, Nicky will be delivering her baby girl early in November. After this she will continue chemotherapy and then move onto radiotherapy.

Nicky with her husband Mark on their wedding day in August.

Despite all of this she wants to raise awareness and encourage people to check themselves regularly:

“Breast cancer doesn’t discriminate. It doesn’t care who you are or how old you are. I had no family history and I’m still young.

“Even if people set a reminder in their phones to check themselves every few weeks, it’s so so important and we all need to do it.”


Read more:


Nicky is very grateful for all the “incredible” care received at Harrogate District Hospital but said it has made her more aware of the difference is healthcare in different countries.

She is now working with her family to fundraise for Breast Cancer Support. The charity works with breast cancer patients across the world who can’t afford medication or treatment.

Her family are arranging a walk of the Harrogate Ringway, around 20 miles, in hopes of raising money for the charity. Nicky is hoping to take part in the final few miles on October 30.

To support Nicky’s fundraising, click here.


 

Boroughbridge sunflower field opens in memory of BBC radio presenter Dom Busby

A business near Boroughbridge has planted a 15-acre field with sunflowers to try and raise £40,000 in memory of their friend and BBC radio presenter, Dom Busby, who died this year.

Mr Busby, who worked for BBC Sport and BBC Radio 5 Live, died in June four weeks after he was diagnosed with a brain tumour.

The owners of The Log Shed, near Boroughbridge, had been planning a fundraiser with Mr Busby shortly before he passed away.

Rachel Sowray, who was friends with Mr Busby and is also one of the managers of Log Shed, said he would have wanted them to continue to raise as much money as possible.

Ms Sowray said:

“We wanted to do something for charities after such a difficult year for them. Dom was heavily involved and was going to be front of house on it all. Now we are doing it in memory of him.

“The field looks amazing, I really can’t wait for more people to see it.”

Visitors can walk around the field and pick their own flowers. The entry fee is £6 per person and 50% of funds raised will go to the two charities nominated by Mr Busby’s mum: Macmillan Cancer Support and Saint Michael’s Hospice.


Read more:


The flowers are expected to be in full bloom by the end of the week. The field will then be open for the public to come and walk round for three to four weeks.

For more information on when the field is open, visit this Facebook page.

Knaresborough men trek 900 miles in wheelchair and on foot to raise £2m

Two Knaresborough men are on day five of an epic 70-day John O’Groats to Lands End challenge.

This is no ordinary challenge because one of the men, Lucas Schofield, aims to complete the route in his wheelchair — which will add miles to the usual 874-mile distance.

Lucas has Friedreich’s Ataxia, a genetic, progressive, neurodegenerative movement disorder, but insists it won’t slow him down.

His best friend, Dan Stott, will carry most of the pair’s luggage on his back.

The pair, who aim to complete about 15 miles a day, are no strangers to insane challenges. The pair have been planning this for two years and have found a route suitable for them both.

Lucas will be pushing himself most of the way but when he does need a helping hand Daniel will be there to push him.

The usual challenges of uneven terrain and weather are compounded by the wheelchair, which has meant adjusting the route to avoid the A9 in Scotland and therefore extending the journey to over 900 miles.

Lucas Schofield

Lucas Schofield on route on day three.

Lucas said:

“Our spirits are still high. People are honking their horns and giving us money.

“I was looking for some huge physical feat and this looked like just it. You’ve got to be a bit crazy to do something like this.”


Read more:


The pair have set themselves an ambitious fundraising target of £2 million. The money will go to Ataxia UK, Butterfly Thyroid Cancer Trust and CALM (Campaign against Living Miserably).

They are currently on £5,000 and with over 60 days to go are optimistic of achieving it. You can donate here.

The pair have been offered free hot drinks and asked for pictures on route. After being featured on BBC Look North they’ve even been asked for autographs.

The two men have no plans to slow down — they are already thinking of an even tougher challenge after this one.

 

£22,000 fundraising campaign launched for Ripon Walled Garden

The charity that runs Ripon Walled Garden has launched a £22,000 fundraising campaign to buy new facilities for the disabled people it helps.

Ripon Community Link, which provides day support services for people with learning difficulties, operates from two sites in the city area — St Wilfrid’s Bungalow and Ripon Walled Garden.

Many of the people it helps work at the walled garden. The fundraising campaign will help to finish and furnish a new building on the site which they will use.

The building, which includes four classrooms, a reception and toilets, has already been paid for by grants and donations.

Victoria Ashley, Ripon Community Link chief executive, said:

“The new building is the next phase of our improvements for the walled garden to benefit members, customers, staff and volunteers.

“The opening of the toilet block was a major step for us, and now we are setting our sights on this new building, specifically aimed at benefitting our members. Our aim is to have this new facility fully opened in autumn”


Read more:


A charity gold day at Rudding Park on August 19 is among the events planned to support the fundraising campaign.

To donate, click here.

Harrogate channel swimmers reach the finish line

A group of intrepid swimmers have just returned home after completing the channel swim in heatwave temperatures on Tuesday.

The team of four, three from the Harrogate district, swam 30 miles in their relay swim yesterday completing it in just over 14 hours.

After swimming together for eight years, friends Andrea Stark and Jacqui Hargrave decided to do the relay for charity. They then convinced Jonty Warneken and Richard Powell to join.

This was the team’s fourth attempt to complete the challenge after cancelling previously due to covid and bad weather.

Jacqui Hargrave said the feeling was “incredible” when her feet finally touched the pebbly beach off the French coast. Due to the pandemic, the final swimmer, Ms Hargrave, could only stand on the beach for 10 minutes before returning to the boat.

Along the way the group would write inspirational messages or warnings on a whiteboard so the one swimming their hour-long lap was kept in the loop.

Channel swimmers

Jacqui keeping Andrea motivated through the swim, even after a jellyfish encounter!

They encountered jellyfish, large cargo ships and clogs of seaweed but kept spirits high by singing their way through.

Ms Hargrave said:

“It was amazing, the water was just incredible, We never thought we’d do it during a heatwave so the waters were over 30 degrees. We’re all a little sun burnt.

“It’s very different to any of the practice we’ve done, there’s so much you just can’t prepare for. But still it was magical.”


Read more:


Setting off at 6.20am from Dover yesterday. Changing tides and avoiding shipping lanes meant their swim was an additional 9 miles. They swam 30.5 miles in 14 hours and 58 seconds.

Each swimmer has chosen a different charity to fundraise for; Jacqui Hargrave is donating to Saint Michael’s Hospice, Andrea Stark is donating to the Samaritans, Richard Powell has chosen Combat Stress as his charity and Jonty Warneken is donating to Open Country.

The foursome have managed to raise £5,469.15 together so far. To donate, click the links above.