Four men have been arrested after a BT cable was stolen last week near Green Hammerton.
North Yorkshire Police said the men, aged 21, 38, 43 and 52 were arrested in connection with the theft at 11.11pm on August 8.
The cable was stolen from a BT cable junction box on the B6265 between Little Ouseburn and Green Hammerton.
Phone cable theft, which disrupts services for customers, has increased because of the value of copper wires.
The four men were arrested when officers pulled over their white van, which was displaying the false registration plates YT16 YTS and had been stolen.
Read more:
- 22 junior soldiers in Harrogate complained of sexual assault last year
- Man guilty of indecent exposure at Harrogate library
The 21-year-old man has been charged with driving while disqualified and driving without insurance. He remains on bail.
The three other men have been released under investigation while police enquiries continue.
A police statement added:
Ripon refugee charity joins calls opposing 1,500 asylum seekers at Linton“Officers are urging anyone who saw the van, or saw anything suspicious, in the area at the time of the incident to get in touch. Dial 101, press 2 and ask to speak to PC 1362 David Kaye, or email David.Kaye@northyorkshire.police.uk
“Please quote the reference number 12220140263 when passing on any information.”
A Ripon refugee charity has joined calls to pause plans to house 1,500 asylum seekers at a former RAF base in Linton-on-Ouse.
Nicola David, chair of Ripon City of Sanctuary, attended a public meeting in the village last night which saw Home Office officials jeered on arrival.
The government is pushing forward with its plan to house 1,500 asylum seekers for up to six months in a ‘reception centre’ on the site, which is four miles from Great Ouseburn and Little Ousburn in the Harrogate district and not far from Knaresborough and Boroughbridge.
At the meeting, Ms David described Priti Patel, the home secretary, as a “hypocrite” because she comes from a Ugandan refugee family but shows little compassion for other refugees.
She said the Home Secretary had “pulled up the ladder” behind other refugees.
Ms David told the Stray Ferret:
“How can you put people fleeing war on a military base?”
“It’s a troubling thing to do to asylum seekers.”
Read more:
- Stunning Green win in Ouseburn sets blueprint for future collaborations
- Village on fringes of Harrogate district to house asylum seekers
Ms David, who discussed the issue on BBC Breakfast today, added that it was only the Home Office which wanted the scheme to go-ahead. She pointed out that there would be too many asylum seekers to residents at the site.
She said:
“Everybody is in agreement. Everybody is saying it is completely unsuitable.
“The only people who are saying it is [a good idea] is the Home Office.”
Home Office were not living their best life last night – from the moment they arrived, they took a pounding. I put it to them that Priti & Rishi are hypocrites who, as children of immigrants, have had every opportunity in this country but have pulled up the ladder behind them. https://t.co/t8hygkNlRY pic.twitter.com/jdjmgXL5iT
— Ripon City of Sanctuary (@RiponCoS) May 20, 2022
Residents at last night’s meeting were told that 60 asylum seekers will arrive at the site by the end of the month and will be mostly men.
Home Office officials also said Ms Patel planned to visit the village to speak with residents about the centre.
The controversial proposal for Linton-on-Ouse comes as part of a wider plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda to have their claims processed.
Before potentially being flown out to the African country, asylum seekers will be held in ‘reception centres’ across the UK for up to six months, with the first announced being at Linton-on-Ouse.
Ms Patel said:
Ouseburn councillor: ‘pause thoughtless Linton asylum centre’“The global migration crisis and how we tackle illegal migration requires new world-leading solutions. There are an estimated 80 million people displaced in the world and the global approach to asylum and migration is broken.
“Existing approaches have failed and there is no single solution to tackle these problems. Change is needed because people are dying attempting to come to the UK illegally.”
The new Green Party county councillor for Ouseburn, Arnold Warneken, has called for a pause in ‘thoughtless and careless’ plans to house 1,500 asylum seekers in Linton-on-Ouse.
The government is pushing forward with its plan to house 1,500 asylum seekers for up to six months in a ‘reception centre’ at Linton-on-Ouse.
The site closed in 2020 after being used by the RAF for almost a century.
Although located in Hambleton, the site is only about a mile from the Harrogate district, on the other side of the River Ouse.
It’s close to villages Great Ouseburn, Little Ouseburn and Nun Monkton, which are all part of Cllr Warneken’s new division.
The asylum seekers will not be prisoners and will be free to leave the centre. Cllr Warneken said he is concerned services in the villages will not be able to cope.
Cllr Warneken, who won his seat last week by over 700 votes, said:
“The plan needs to have the brakes put on it. Rural locations are losing shops, pubs and post offices.
“The government has not looked at what the asylum seekers need, whether that’s religious or cultural things or food. They are not prisoners, they are victims.
“The centre will be twice the size of Linton-on-Ouse, three times the size of Great Ouseburn and eight times the size of Little Ouseburn. It’s not been thought through and is careless.”
Read more:
- Stunning Green win in Ouseburn sets blueprint for future collaborations
- Village on fringes of Harrogate district to house asylum seekers
Cllr Warneken said ‘99.9%’ of residents in the villages are “compassionate and understanding about the issue”.
But he fears the centre, which has been dubbed “Guantanamo-on-Ouse” by a Lib Dem councillor, could become a target for far-right protestors.
He added:
“I’ve been out talking to people who were concerned this week. They are saying it’s not right for the asylum seekers or the community.”
Migration crisis
The government has said it hopes the changes will help it crack down on people-smuggling gangs.
According to the BBC, 28,526 people are known to have crossed the channel in small boats in 2021, up from 8,404 in 2020.
Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said:
Plans approved to demolish Little Ouseburn pub for homes“The global migration crisis and how we tackle illegal migration requires new world-leading solutions. There are an estimated 80 million people displaced in the world and the global approach to asylum and migration is broken.
“Existing approaches have failed and there is no single solution to tackle these problems. Change is needed because people are dying attempting to come to the UK illegally.”
Harrogate Borough Council has approved plans to demolish a Little Ouseburn pub to build new homes.
The proposal by Low Lane Developments will see the Green Tree Inn flattened to make way for four houses.
The pub, which is on the main B6265 from Green Hammerton to Boroughbridge, closed in late 2019.
In documents submitted to the council, the developer said the plan would help to enhance the local area.
It said:
“We believe that redevelopment of this site will enhance the conservation area and will bring a positive contribution to the local environment.”
Read more:
- Plan to convert former Harrogate working men’s club into apartments
- End of an era: Harrogate working men’s club folds after 108 years
- Former pub near Boroughbridge to be converted into flats
In 2017, pub owners Michael and Barbara Briggs were granted permission to convert the property into housing while retaining part of the downstairs as a micro pub.
However, planning documents state Mr Briggs died in January 2017 and Mrs Briggs struggled to maintain the pub alone.
After three years of trying to market the micro pub, Mrs Briggs decided it was no longer a viable business.
Person taken to hospital after house fire in Little OuseburnA person was taken to hospital after a house caught fire in Little Ouseburn in the early hours of this morning.
Firefighters from Boroughbridge, Knaresborough and Acomb were called to the incident at 1.15am this morning.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service‘s incident log says everyone was out of the house by the time the emergency services arrived.
The log adds:
“One occupier left with paramedics, treated on scene for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital via road ambulance.
“Crews extinguished the fire using hose reels. Incident will be revisited by crews for checks this morning.”
Read more:
- Man denies firearm charge at Harrogate gastro pub
- Work starts on Great Ouseburn housing development
- Quick-thinking Little Ouseburn farmer averts field fire
Quick-thinking Little Ouseburn farmer averts field fire
A quick-thinking farmer averted a potentially major field fire yesterday when a straw baler went up in flames on land near Little Ouseburn.
Firefighters from Knaresborough and Acomb were summoned when the baler caught fire at about 2pm yesterday.
When the fire crews arrived, the farmer had already managed to unhook the tractor from the baler and another farmer had ploughed a fire break around the flames to prevent the fire spreading.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service‘s incident log said the quick intervention prevented the fire spreading throughout the field. The farmers involved are not named.
The incident log said the cause of the fire was believed to be a mechanical fault. It added:
“The crews extinguished the fire using two hose reel jets and three breathing apparatus.”
In a separate incident yesterday, an unattended barbecue is believed to have been responsible for a fire in Harrogate’s Great Yorkshire Showground, which spread to a tree, causing minor damage before it was extinguished.
Read more:
- Combine harvester catches fire in Harrogate
- Harrogate person burns arm after barbecue fire spreads to fence
Two Harrogate district village pubs to be turned into housing
Two pubs in Little Ouseburn and Great Ouseburn will be converted into housing.
Harrogate Borough Council has approved plans to turn the former Green Tree pub in Little Ouseburn into housing.
Owners Michael and Barbara Briggs applied last year to turn the pub into two one-bedroom apartments and one three-bedroom semi-detached home.
Another two three-bedroom detached homes will be built in the rear car park.
The pub, which is on the main B6265 from Green Hammerton to Boroughbridge, closed in late 2019.
A statement attached to the planning application highlighted the pub’s plight in recent years:
“Local interest in using the pub has dwindled and was patronised by only a handful of regular customers. Takings were only sufficient to sustain Mrs Briggs and keep the doors open.”
Read more:

The Crown Inn pub in Great Ouseburn
Meanwhile, the council has also approved a plan to turn The Crown Inn pub in Great Ouseburn into a five-bedroom home.
The pub won the Yorkshire Pub of the Year title in 2011 but has been vacant for several years, closing in June 2016.
Despite new developments and growing populations, village pubs have found it difficult to survive. Numerous establishments in the Harrogate district have been affected.
The Lamb and Flag pub in Burton Leonard could now be turned into commercial or retail space. Plans were also submitted to convert the Half Moon in Sharow into a new home.