North Yorkshire and York council leaders have kick-started negotiations over a £2.4 billion devolution deal with government after submitting proposals.
Authority bosses in the county have formally tabled a list of “asks” to government which outline billions of pounds worth of spending power in areas like transport, housing and skills.
The deal, should it be agreed, would also see a directly elected mayor for the county.
Cllr Carl Les, leader of North Yorkshire County Council, told the Stray Ferret that council leaders agreed to submit the requests, but without support from Hambleton District Council.
Read more:
Hambleton had previously refused to support the proposals until a government white paper on devolution was published. However, the paper has yet to be published by ministers.
But, Cllr Les said councils could not longer delay submitting the proposals.

Cllr Carl Les, leader of North Yorkshire County Council. Picture: North Yorkshire County Council.
He said:
“The leaders decided that they were going to submit without unanimous agreement.
“Every day we delay on the asks, we delay on the negotiations of the asks. It would have been better with an unanimous decision, but it was best we got a majority.”
A spokesperson for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said the government was considering the proposals and would respond “in due course”.
The “asks” document is intended to start negotiations with government over what the county wants from a devolution deal. It is separate from the proposals for local government reorganisation and how the new authority or authorities would be structured.
It comes as ministers made it a requirement for councils who want devolved powers to scrap the two tier system in their areas.
£2 billion in spending power
Following initial discussions with ministers in in early 2020, council bosses have written up a 140-page document which outlines £2.4 billion worth of spending and proposals to take back further powers from Westminster.
More powers over transport, skills, regeneration and energy are included in the submission, as well as a mayoral funding pot worth £750 million over 25 years.
Further funding proposals include a five-year transport settlement worth £250 million, £520 million of devolved funding for fibre connectivity, and a £230 million fund for the new mayor to share between the county’s towns.
A directly elected mayor, who would have powers over areas such as transport planning, transport budget and bus franchising, is also included in the proposals.
What happens now?
Council leaders will now discuss the proposals for more spending and powers with ministers from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government and the Treasury.
A deal will then be put forward by the government at a later date. This will go back before councils to be agreed.
More snow warnings for Harrogate districtThe Harrogate district is bracing itself for yet more travel disruption after the Met Office today issued another weather warning for snow.
Snow has just melted around the district but could make a comeback as early as Wednesday as today’s milder weather, which reached eight degrees centigrade, makes way for much colder temperatures of around freezing.
Read more:
A Met Office yellow warning for ice is in place tonight and another yellow warning for snow has been issued from 5am on Wednesday until 9pm on Thursday.
The Met Office said:
“There is a chance of a period of heavy snow across this region; should it occur it is likely to cause significant travel disruption.
“There is a small chance of travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel
“There is a slight chance that some rural communities, mainly those at higher elevations, could become cut off.
“There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected.”
Heavy snow caused significant disruption and chaos on the roads and for schools on Friday and Saturday.
Snow started falling at about 8am on Friday and did not stop in some places until after sunset.
North Yorkshire County Council’s gritting teams will be out in the Harrogate district tonight and tomorrow.
Fine people who flout covid travel rules, says North Yorkshire MPA North Yorkshire MP has called on police to fine people who flout covid travel rules.
Kevin Hollinrake said many people in tier three areas had travelled to lower tiers because of the “greater freedoms”.
North Yorkshire moved from tier two to tier three today amid rising infection rates.
It is believed people in higher tier areas, such as Leeds, frequently travelled to the Harrogate district’s pubs and restaurants, which were still open until today.
Mr Hollinrake, the Conservative MP for Thirsk and Malton, said this movement of people had increased the spread of the virus.
He told the House of Commons yesterday:
“We would definitely want to move travel restrictions from guidance to being an offence.
“That would prevent a lot of the travel we are seeing, with many people moving from different parts of the country into our area, which is increasing infection rates.
“When the police have used their powers in terms of mixing within hospitality venues or households, that has been very effective, and the word has gone round quickly.
“It would have a similar effect if we started to fine people for travelling without good cause.”
Mr Hollinrake reiterated his call for the government to consider applying different tier restrictions to different districts in North Yorkshire. He said:
“North Yorkshire is a huge place: our districts are the size of counties in other parts of the country.
“Putting a huge county such as North Yorkshire into one tier masks huge differences in the infection rate among districts.
“Some districts have an infection rate that is two or three times that in other districts, so it is possible that some of our districts should be in a higher tier and some in a lower tier. We should consider that.”
Mr Hollinrake also called for grants to businesses forced to close to be increased.
Biggest daily covid increase in Harrogate district for 6 weeks
Another 53 people in the Harrogate district have tested positive for coronavirus — the largest daily increase for six weeks.
Today’s figure from Public Health England is the highest since November 16, when 69 infections were recorded.
The highest figure since the start of the pandemic remains 95 on November 9, shortly after the second lockdown began.
In another worrying development, the district’s R number has increased again from 1.1 to 1.2, which means every 10 people infected will pass the virus on to another 12.
Read more:
- MPs watch 2020: the year of coronavirus, Brexit and free school meals
- Harrogate district to move into tier 3 at midnight
The seven-day rate of infection for the district has risen to 126 people per 100,000. It remains the lowest in North Yorkshire.
The county average is 189 and the England average is 387.
The news comes on the day North Yorkshire moved into tier three restrictions, forcing the closure of all pubs and restaurants, except for takeaways.
Harrogate district escapes tier change in latest reviewThe Harrogate district is to remain in tier two as millions more people in England learned this afternoon they will be put under tougher restrictions on Boxing Day.
In a 3pm government coronavirus update, Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced that huge swathes of the country will be moved up tiers on December 26.
Essex, Norfolk, Sussex, Surrey, Oxfordshire and Hampshire will go into tier four.
Bristol, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Swindon, Isle of Wight, New Forest, Northamptonshire, Cheshire and Warrington will enter tier three restrictions.
And Cornwall and Herefordshire will move into tier two,
Minsters discussed further restrictions today amid fears that a new variant of coronavirus is spreading.
Mr Hancock said this wasn’t the news he wanted to deliver at Christmas. He added:
“Just as we have got a tiered system in place, we have discovered a new more contagious virus, a variant which is spreading at a dangerous rate.”
Read more:
- Scarborough could drag Harrogate district into tier three
- ‘Show patience’ on covid turnaround, says Andrew Jones MP
Mr Hancock also announced all data on the Oxford vaccine has been submitted to the UK’s medicine regulator for approval.
Public health bosses in North Yorkshire warned this week people should brace themselves for the new variant.
They also warned that Scarborough’s case rate could see the county moved up to tier three if not brought under control.
Scarborough has the highest case rate in the county with 269 infections per 100,000 people; the Harrogate district has the lowest at 89.
The county’s seven-day case average currently stands at 139 per 100,000 people, below that of the England average at 319.
Harrogate district vaccine sites shrouded in secrecyHealth bosses in North Yorkshire have refused to reveal the locations of new vaccination centres that are due to open in the next week.
The vaccine programme is rolling out nationally and it was revealed today that eight more sites are due to go live in North Yorkshire in the next week.
The Stray Ferret reported this week the Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate will be one of the vaccine centres.
However, that information was released on social media by GP practices who are involved in the operation and were seeking volunteers to help direct visitors in the car park.
The people in overall charge of public health in the county are steadfastly refusing to reveal the sites, even though they are due to open in days and people are keen to know where they will have to go, partly so they can plan transport.
Read more:
- North Yorkshire GPs begin delivering covid vaccine
- Vaccine to be given at Great Yorkshire Showground
Amanda Bloor, the accountable officer for the North Yorkshire CCG, said at a coronavirus press briefing this morning:
“I do know that a number of you have been asking for confirmation for the locations of the sites but we have been strongly discouraged from sharing this information.
“It is really important that these sites are able to operate smoothly and that we protect patient and staff confidentiality.”
This stance may raise some eyebrows, particularly as the locations of the coronavirus testing sites have never been kept secret and have been widely promoted.
The Stray Ferret understands fears over anti-vaccine protesters may be partly behind the decision to keep the sites out of the public eye.
Picture credit: Marco Verch/Flickr.
Stray Pets Rescue Club: the pooches needing a home this ChristmasThe Stray Pets Rescue Club is our monthly pet profile of animals in desperate need of a loving home. All Tasha, Rocco, and Billy want for Christmas is a forever home.
Tasha, Akita
Age: 9
Tasha’s story: Tasha arrived at Dogs Trust Leeds in July 2020. She has arthritis, so potential adopters will need to be aware of the ongoing cost of continuing medication before making a commitment to adopt her.
Temperament: Tasha is a friendly dog who, despite her age, is still very playful, and who loves her toys and having lots of fuss and attention.
Ideal home: Tasha is looking for an adult-only home without visiting children, where she can be the only pet. Her ideal new owners will have a secure garden so she can play off lead and she’ll also require access to quiet walks away from other dogs. Tasha’s new owners will need to be patient with her while she settles into her new home. She can’t be left alone initially but should be ok for short periods if this is done very gradually.
To find out more about Tasha and the adoption process, visit Dogs Trust Leeds.
Rocco, Mastiff – Old English
Age: 12 months
Rocco’s story: Rocco is a boisterous boy but he has had a tough time of it, first finding himself in need of a new home at just six months old (with another rescue organisation)
Temperament: Rocco is a young dog who still has lots to learn about life. He hasn’t had much chance to socialise in his life so far, and he can get a little over excited! But with patient and experienced owners who can continue his training, Rocco has lots of potential to blossom into a wonderful companion.
Ideal home: Rocco needs to live with people who have experience of large breed dogs who can keep him on the right track with his training. He’s a big strong lad, so needs very active owners, who can handle him safely too. Rocco can’t be left at all at the moment and will take time to slowly build up his confidence in this area – in the meantime, he’ll need his owners to be around all the time, until he’s ready to be left for short periods. He doesn’t want to share his home with any other pets or small children but will be fine around older children (over 16s) who aren’t worried by a big strong goofball!
To find out more about Rocco and the adoption process, visit Dogs Trust Leeds.
Billy, Saluki Cross Lurcher
Age: 18 months
Billy’s story: Billy was handed to Saving Yorkshire’s Dogs when his owner changed jobs and could no longer look after him.
Temperament: Billy is a very loving and attentive dog when he is with you, but he is fearful of other dogs which he shows by barking. Once he has been introduced to dogs, he then just wants to play!
Ideal home: Billy needs a nice secure garden and an owner who can give him lots of walking and training. He may need some time to bond, but once he has he follows guidance and is learning that people are not scary. He has not met any cats before, so needs a cat-free home.
To find out more about Billy and the adoption process, you can visit the Saving Yorkshire’s Dogs website or call them on 07562 986101.
The Stray Pets Rescue Club works with animal rescues around the area on its monthly profiles.
Read More:
- Kim’s Canines: supporting our dogs out of lockdown
- Stray Pets Rescue Club: Ginger, Bongo, Badger and a rat all need loving homes
North Yorkshire tier downgrade next week unlikely, say health chiefs
North Yorkshire’s leading public health experts have cautioned against hopes the county could be downgraded to tier one before Christmas.
The government is due to review the tier system next week.
North Yorkshire, which is in tier two, has a seven-day average infection rate of 103 people per 100,000. This is considerably below the England average of 151.
The Harrogate district’s average is even lower at 93. It fell sharply in the second half of November but has stabilised lately.
Some local areas have seen virtually no infections for weeks but pubs and restaurants have stayed shut because of the tier restrictions.
Read more:
- Leeds nearest hospital to get first vaccines
- Harrogate charity prepare to transport people to covid vaccinations
- NHS worker becomes first to receive covid vaccine in Leeds
This morning Richard Webb, director of adult care at North Yorkshire County Council, told a media briefing of North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, which represents key groups in the fight against covid, that case figures were “relatively stable”.
But he said they were still higher than he would like and the county needed to continue to get them down.
Mr Webb said:
“I suspect we may well see caution prevail just simply because everyone is worried about a spike in the New Year.
“But, let’s see. It is all to play for.”
Meanwhile, Dr Lincoln Sergeant, director of public health at the council, said he hoped the county will be downgraded after Christmas.
He added the county needed to get infections down.
Dr Sergeant said:
“It’s important for us to keep the momentum going. I think we can aim for getting to tier one, it’s certainly within possibility if we keep momentum going and if we keep working together.
“But we should not be disappointed if that doesn’t happen before Christmas.”
The briefing also revealed seven sites across North Yorkshire are expected to start offering the coronavirus vaccine from next week.
North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group, the body which buys medical services in the county, said it will reveal the location of the sites once they are finalised.
North Yorkshire’s public health chief leavesNorth Yorkshire’s director of public health, who has been at the forefront of the county’s coronavirus response, is leaving.
Dr Lincoln Sargeant will take up a new post as director of public health in Torbay, Devon.
Louise Wallace, assistant director for health and integration in North Yorkshire, will succeed him on an interim basis on Saturday, while retaining her current role.
Ms Wallace was the director of public health for Hartlepool from 2012 to 2017.
North Yorkshire County Council, which announced the news today, said in a statement Dr Sargeant had been instrumental in establishing the county’s public health service since the transfer of responsibilities from the NHS to local government in April 2013.
Read more:
- Covid rate rises again in Harrogate district
- Two further covid deaths reported at Harrogate Hospital

Louise Wallace.
Richard Webb, the county council’s director of health and adult services, added:
Council hopes that North Yorkshire will move into tier one“Lincoln has worked hard in providing public health leadership and expertise as we respond to the covid pandemic.
“Louise takes on this role at a critical time for public health. At this stage in the pandemic we must maintain our resolve and support for people in reducing the infection rate.”
The Harrogate district could move out of tier two into tier one if coronavirus infection rates continue to fall.
Local public health officials struck an optimistic tone in light of today’s announcement but warned against complacency.
They said in an emergency press briefing that it was possible for North Yorkshire to change tiers when they are up for review in two weeks.
Richard Flinton, chair of the the North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum, said:
“We are pleased that we are not in tier three. But I think we can say that this is not the time for complacency.
“We have to get into tier one and we need to use this time to drive down the virus in the county, we cannot be content in tier two.
“The winter period is a significant and potentially dangerous time in terms of how the virus could move.”
Currently there are more than 340 coronavirus patients in the hospitals that serve North Yorkshire.
That is higher than the first coronavirus wave when the patient numbers peaked at 302.
While the requirements for tier one are not entirely clear, the local officials set out some areas to look out for.
Read more:
- Harrogate district pubs were ‘praying for tier one’
- Harrogate district to enter tier two restrictions
Dr Lincoln Sargeant, director of public health in North Yorkshire, said:
“There are some indicators that we have from before this lockdown that we can aim for.
“We need to get the case rate, the positive case rate, the rates in the over 60s and the patients in hospitals down.
“I believe it is possible for us to have a safe Christmas and at the same time for the virus not to rebound in January.”
As North Yorkshire is surrounded by tier three areas there are concerns that visitors will try to take advantage of the lower restrictions.
Mike Walker, North Yorkshire Police’s assistant chief constable and gold commander leading the force’s coronavirus response, said:
“It is not acceptable for someone to travel out of a tier three area without a suitable reason. We do have enforcement powers in place to stop people doing this.
“We are one of the forces that issued the highest amount of fixed penalty notices at the start of the lockdown.”