Harrogate District Hospital has not reported any new coronavirus deaths but the number of cases in the district is at over 300 since the start of the pandemic.
Statistics from the government’s coronavirus tracker show that there have been 308 confirmed cases of the virus in the Harrogate district. North Yorkshire as a whole has confirmed 1,320 cases of coronavirus.
The hospital has, so far, recorded 70 deaths where the patient has tested positive for COVID-19.
Read more on this story:
- Why the clock is ticking on NHS Nightingale Yorkshire and the Humber
- When the Harrogate NHS Trust projected an £11 million shortfall
On Thursday, the hospital reported that it had discharged 118 patients who tested positive for coronavirus – an increase of nine on the previous week.
The number of deaths and discharges as well as a further 72 who have died in care homes accounts for the majority of cases in the area.
Mobile tablets enable Harrogate district care home residents to see GPsCare home residents in the Harrogate district will be able to see their GP at a safe distance after North Yorkshire CCG invested in more than 200 mobile tablets.
All 51 GP practices in North Yorkshire are now hosting secure video consultations with patients. Clinical leaders believe the scheme has been a “huge success.”
The CCG says uptake of the AccuRx platform is high and continues to grow. It could become the standard, even after the coronavirus pandemic.
Read more on this story
- What Harrogate’s Hospital Trust blames for its £11 million shortfall
- How Harrogate District Hospital reached 70 coronavirus deaths
- How the Trust spent nearly half a million pounds on sick pay in the first month of lockdown
Dr Charles Parker, Clinical Chair for NHS North Yorkshire CCG, said that the technology will protect care home residents.
He said: “While there will always be occasions when there is no substitute for a face-to-face consultation, this technology is proving to be absolutely suitable for a great many GP appointments and patients have been terrific at adapting to these changes. This technology will help to keep residents safe and helps us to manage the risks associated with providing essential care during the Covid-19 pandemic and potentially beyond.”
Sandra Anderson, Registered Manager and Director at The Millings Care Home in Bedale, said:
She said: “On our first try we had a really good experience using the device, residents were really happy with how it worked and we found it a really efficient way to contact a healthcare professional. Other members of staff I have spoken to have said that it is easy to use and they have had no issues.”
Nidderdale Plus Community Hub organisation and North Yorkshire County Council both helped to distribute the tablets to care homes.
Police commissioner urges responsibility after weekend lockdown breachesNorth Yorkshire’s Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner has urged residents to remember the potential consequences of flouting lockdown guidelines.
Julia Mulligan’s warning comes after a weekend which saw groups gathering to drink along West Park, resulting in one pub being issued with a prohibition order.
She said police were doing all they could to respond to public concern but were only able to disperse large gatherings:
“The police have no powers to deal with breaches of social distancing – that’s public health advice. Part of the problem is the public expect the police to deal with it, but the police don’t have the power.”
Harrogate’s Neighbourhood Policing Inspector Penny Taylor said officers had spent a busy weekend engaging with the public and explaining the importance of following regulations, as well as assisting Harrogate Borough Council’s licensing team at two pubs. She said:
“Personal responsibility is now key to controlling the virus and while the police cannot enforce social distancing guidance, we urge people to remember that although some of the restrictions have been relaxed, the virus has not gone away, you can still catch it and pass it on to your family and friends.
“Thankfully, the vast majority of the public continue to do their bit and follow guidance which means our officers have rarely had to enforce the Government regulations.”
While six people have been allowed to meet outside from today, over the weekend the rules remained that people could only meet with one other person from outside their household. Ms Mulligan said the announcement that rules were going to change this week probably led to a greater number of people feeling safe to go out over the weekend and meet more people.
“I’m sure that’s actually what they thought. It puts the police in a very difficult set of circumstances, to have to deal with that. In a way, the lockdown was easier to enforce.”
Read more on this story:
- Harrogate bar issued with prohibition notice after repeated breach lockdown rules
- Groups gather on Harrogate’s Stray before lockdown restrictions eased
She said the government’s guidance had been sufficiently clear but it was trying to balance the need to get the economy moving again against the risk to people’s health. In many cases, she said, problems being reported to the police were in fact for other agencies to deal with, such as local authorities with licensing breaches.

Julia Mulligan, Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire
As well as central Harrogate, North Yorkshire Police said crowds were out in “unprecedented numbers” in Knaresborough at Conyngham Hall and the riverside, as well as Brimham Rocks. Outer Harrogate Neighbourhood Policing Inspector Steve Breen said:
“Our officers reported the vast majority of people were acting responsibly and we thank them for their continued efforts over the past two months.
“The overarching aim of the police response has always been to keep people as safe as possible, and encourage them to follow the regulations, reducing the transmission of the virus and protecting lives but it is up to members of the public to ensure that they are following the social distance guidance.”
With cooler temperatures forecast over the coming days, Ms Mulligan said she is hopeful that the scenes reported over the weekend will not be repeated. However, she said it was important for all authorities to work together, especially as people who have been kept in lockdown for weeks or months want to get out and are limited in the options available.
“I would like to see a more strategic approach to dealing with some of the issues we’ve encountered. A more coordinated approach amongst local authorities, working more closely not just on the ground with policing colleagues, but at a planning level to try and come up with a more robust way to deal with these issues. If this goes on all summer and people can’t get away on holiday, I am concerned.”
She added:
Patchy reopening from today as schools still have safety concerns“I just want people to remember there’s a killer virus out there and the last thing we want is a second wave.”
Only a third of North Yorkshire’s primary schools are following government guidance on reopening today as concerns remain over the safety of pupils and staff.
Children in reception, year one and year six could all be back in lessons from today – but not every primary school has chosen to follow the changing advice.
Just 111 schools across the county are planning to reopen to pupils in some or all of those year groups today, according to the county council, and 24 more are expecting to follow next week. Judith Kirk, NYCC’s assistant director for education and skills, said:
“Schools have drawn up a bespoke approach to reopening, appropriate to their circumstances, but we want to reassure parents that when children come into primary schools in North Yorkshire, the first focus will be children’s safety and wellbeing, settling them in and making them feel secure, before we begin teaching the curriculum.
“We are working with schools, headteachers and teaching unions to support each school and the decision made by head teachers and governing bodies.”
Teaching unions told The Stray Ferret last month that they had serious reservations about their ability to keep everyone safe, and it seems those concerns remain. Some schools say they will follow full government guidance, while others say it would not be safe to reopen at all, other than for the children of key workers who have already been attending.
‘Not missing out’
Among those opening for some year groups today is Bilton Grange Primary School in Harrogate, which will welcome back pupils in its reception classes. However, the school has told parents it does not feel it can safely open to years one and six yet – something which has been welcomed by parent Jamie Haslam.
His daughter Erin is in year six at the school, but has been learning at home, alongside older sister Jessica who attends Harrogate High School, with support from teachers and their parents since the start of lockdown. Jamie said he was relieved not to have to make the decision himself about whether it was safe for Erin to return – though he does feel sad she’s missing the final weeks at primary school.
“I remember from last year when Jessica left, it was nice that last bit of primary school. I don’t feel she’s missing out on anything education-wise, she will just miss those nice experiences with her friends.”
Schools across the district will teach pupils taught in smaller groups than usual class sizes. Each small group is being kept apart from others, with measures such as staggered arrival times and breaks introduced, and additional ventilation, cleaning and other measures in place to minimise the risks of infection.
North Yorkshire county councillor Patrick Mulligan said:
“All schools have carried out risk assessments looking at social distancing, staffing and hygiene and those that can open safely will be doing on Monday. Not all schools will be open on June 1; we are a large rural county with a relatively high number of small rural schools – including traditional church schools based around small classrooms – where implementing social distancing simply isn’t possible.
“We would like to reassure parents who are sending their children to school that schools are working hard to ensure the safety and wellbeing of pupils.”
The county council is also working to deliver home-to-school transport for those pupils who already qualified for it. Parents in need of transport over the coming weeks have been asked to complete a survey on the council’s website.
Is your child’s school reopening today? How do you feel about sending them back? Contact us with your views.
Three more coronavirus deaths confirmed at Harrogate hospitalHarrogate District Hospital has reported that three more people who tested positive for coronavirus have died.
Today’s figures include one death from April 29 and two more deaths from Sunday and Monday this week, bringing the hospital’s total up to 54.
The deaths were recorded with a total of 244 across England’s hospitals. Patients were aged between 49 and 99 years old. Four of the 244 patients, who were aged between 51 and 78 years old, had no known underlying health conditions.
It also comes as the government releases a clear picture of confirmed coronavirus cases by lower-tier local authority – narrowing it down to the Harrogate district, rather than the wider numbers for North Yorkshire which were previously available.
According to the data released today, the Harrogate district has had 266 cases. It also includes rates per 100,000 resident population, which provides a comparable figure across the UK.
Harrogate has a rate of 165.7 which is lower than England’s rate of 248.5, Yorkshire and the Humber’s rate of 230.9 as well as North Yorkshire with a rate of 196.4.
Weekly data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) also reveals how many people have died outside of hospitals. That number has been rising higher in recent weeks and is close to overtaking Harrogate hospital’s deaths.
This data goes up to May 1 and shows that there have been 48 deaths outside of hospitals. Of those, 43 deaths have been in Harrogate’s care homes, with the others in private homes or “other communal establishments.”
Regular supplies of PPE ‘not coming through’ to front line workers in North YorkshireThe peak of the coronavirus crisis has not yet hit North Yorkshire, but irregular and unreliable supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) are putting front line workers at risk.
North Yorkshire County Council’s director of health and adult services, Richard Webb, told The Stray Ferret that constantly changing government guidelines on the use of PPE are making it hard to predict how much is needed – and he doesn’t yet know when the next supplies will be delivered.
While gloves, aprons and hand sanitiser are all needed, the most urgent problem is finding face masks offering the right grade of protection. The type IIR face masks are in high demand around the country because they prevent fluids from passing through when staff are caring for patients.

Richard Webb
Mr Webb said: “We are asking anyone who is a producer of the right type of PPE to get in touch. We are asking businesses or schools who might be able to produce PPE, can they begin to mobilise their production. That would be really appreciated.
“That’s across the board: it’s for us, it’s for the wider care sector, it’s for the hospitals and community health service and GPs. If people are able to produce what’s required to the right spec, we would really welcome them to get in touch.”
A new PPE plan was announced by the government on Friday, with additional guidance issued over the Easter weekend. These constantly changing requirements make it even harder for the council to know how long supplies will last.
Mr Webb said the local resilience forum, which is a combination of councils, the NHS, the military and police, has been working to try to find supplies and get them to the right places. With the peak of the crisis still to come in North Yorkshire, demand will only grow.
“The figures nationally and in Yorkshire are increasing so we are still not yet at the peak date. We will expect to see an increase in cases over the coming weeks.”
NYCC’s chief executive, Richard Flinton, had previously issued a call to suppliers to help get products to the front line, while community groups have been working together to source equipment. Mr Webb thanked everyone who has contributed supplies so far, as well as reiterating advice to stay at home and follow hand-washing guidelines in order to reduce the spread of the virus.
He added:
“What we really want is a regular supply of this equipment and at the moment that’s not coming through in the way that the NHS and councils and care providers need it. The government have given it a really top priority on Friday night when they announced their new plan. We need to see during the coming week much more regular supplies of the right kit.”
Anyone who can help supply equipment should email procurement@northyorks.gov.uk.
The ever-changing challenge of the crisis
Less than 10 days ago, North Yorkshire County Council said it was well supplied with PPE.
This new appeal shows just how quickly the situation is changing: demand grows by the day, with added pressure as the government issues further guidance on the use of PPE across medical and social settings.
Evidence from those on the front line confirms that supplies aren’t reaching where they’re most needed. Over the weekend, care home operator MHA confirmed a number of its residents had died after displaying symptoms of coronavirus, and said it was desperately short of PPE across its 133 homes.
Hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country are using the same kit. While visors are being produced by schools and hand sanitiser made by businesses, it is the high-grade protective equipment, such as masks, which are harder to procure from alternative sources.
Usual supplies have been depleted, with manufacturers struggling to meet demand coming not just from the UK but internationally. With the peak of the crisis expected to hit North Yorkshire in the coming weeks, front line workers will be more desperate than ever to have access to the equipment they need to reduce the risks they are taking while caring for the most vulnerable people in society.
‘Thank you for all you’re doing’ – council care director praises community effort in coronavirus crisisThe social care system is playing its part in fighting the coronavirus outbreak – and needs the whole community to continue to do so too.
That is the message from Richard Webb, Director of Health and Adult Services at North Yorkshire County Council, who praised the efforts of local people to support each other.
“I think that’s fantastic, the way people are offering their support,” he said. “It’s not only practical stuff, it’s things to keep people well. Mental health is really important.
“That’s where particularly volunteers and community support will help. If you know some people are isolated, ring them every day and keep in touch. Help arrange their shopping or just have a chat.”
Mr Webb, pictured, said he had been impressed by organisations doing their bit to keep families busy and individuals’ spirits high. This week, Harrogate Theatre has been showing its pantomime online for free, while Harrogate International Festivals – of which he is a trustee – has plans to do more too.
While neighbours can look out for each other, Mr Webb is working with care providers and other organisations to look after 70,000 people in the community across North Yorkshire, many of whom are vulnerable to coronavirus because of their age or health conditions.
As has been widely reported with the NHS, there is huge strain on social care too, with personal protective equipment and hand sanitizer in high demand around the world. Social care providers and supporting organisations across the Harrogate district are working harder than ever to ensure they meet the needs of their service users.
“It’s a time of huge challenge for everyone,” said Mr Webb. “We’re working really closely with them, trying to make sure we have enough availability of care.
“They will have people going off sick and self-isolating as so many are, so we need to make sure there are enough people to go around. We’re using mutual aid, so if people haven’t got enough staff for one service, we can help by moving them across from elsewhere.”
With so much strain already on social care, as well as the NHS, Mr Webb said he does not expect the situation to be quickly resolved.
“I think it’s too early to say [how long it will last],” he said. “Boris Johnson said we will review it in three weeks, but the NHS is cancelling routine operations for 12 weeks.
“The worst might be over by then, but we need to be prepared for it to last for some time yet. In other countries, it’s taking some time. That’s why it’s really important people stay in and help prevent it spreading.”
As a resident of Harrogate, Mr Webb said residents are fortunate to have outdoor spaces to exercise and still be able to keep their distance from each other. He said it was vital for people to remember the basic advice, including continuing to wash hands thoroughly and regularly.
“I want to say thank you to everyone, for all they’re doing to support each other and to work with us. If there are changes to health and social care because we’re dealing with this, please bear with us.
“And please stay home, stay safe and keep your distance.”
