A new auction house is planned for a Harrogate business park.
Plans to create the facility at Springfield Farm Business Park, near Kettlesing, have been submitted to North Yorkshire Council.
Springfield Farm is situated just off the A59 Skipton Road, seven miles east of Harrogate.
The plans propose converting an existing building on the business park to an auction house.
The site has been vacant since January 2023 and has been advertised for sale on Hayfield Robinson property consultants since last year.
The planning documents do not reveal which firm plans to move in, but correspondence between the council and the senior planner revealed the company set to occupy the unit “have auction houses elsewhere” and 10 jobs would be created.
If approved, the auction house will be less than five miles away from Thompson’s Auctioneers at Killinghall but Thompson’s director Kate Higgings said the proposed new venture was not part of its business.
Planning documents submitted to North Yorkshire Council say:
“The main proposed use of the application site is that of an auction sales rooms, with associated offices and storage space on the first floor.
“The proposed layout allows for one large auction room to be created and it is envisaged that only one auction sale would be conducted at any particular time. There would be one auction sale per week on a Saturday. The car park layout allows for a service yard for the delivery and collection of lots.
“Potential bidders will be able to attend the auction rooms in person, leave commission bids, bid via telephone or via one or more online platforms. There will be approximately 20 bidders likely to attend auctions in person and the existing car parking spaces will be sufficient for their business needs.
“It is anticipated that the auction rooms will employ around 10 full time equivalent staff including auctioneers, valuers, accountants, and administrative staff and porters.”
The council will decide whether to accept the plans.

Springfield Farm Business Park plans for a new auction house
Read more:
Harrogate councillor encourages people to have their say on mosque
A Harrogate borough councillor has been encouraging residents to submit their views on a proposed mosque.
Conservative Cllr Sam Gibbs circulated a leaflet, which doesn’t contain any personal views, to people living close to the mosque’s proposed location.
Harrogate Islamic Association has submitted plans to build what would be the district’s first mosque on the corner of Tower Street and Belford Road.
The location falls within the Harrogate Central ward rather than the Harrogate Valley Gardens ward Cllr Gibbs represents.
However, the two wards will join after May’s local government elections.
Cllr Gibbs, who is also the constituency agent for Chancellor and Richmond MP Rishi Sunak, asks in the leaflet whether people support the application and for additional comments.
Some people have raised concerns on social media about a councillor canvassing views on the subject.
Read more:
However, Cllr Gibbs told the Stray Ferret he had only “circulated a leaflet – a neutral information piece that reported the details of the development factually”.
He added:
“As a local councillor I am aware that residents do not always realise when a development is submitted in their area.
“I also believe a good councillor does what they can to raise awareness of things that will affect residents.
“I do this regularly for planning applications. It is what good councillors do and it is certainly not unusual for me to do localised surveys on a wide variety of issues.
“This is about making it easier for residents to have their say and ensuring no one is disenfranchised.”
Cllr Gibbs has forwarded copies of replies sent to the local Conservative Party office on East Parade, Harrogate to the case officer dealing with the planning application at Harrogate Borough Council.
Sunday deadline for comments
Residents have until this Sunday to have their say on the mosque. So far 80 people have written in support while 60 people have objected.
Households across Harrogate reported receiving anonymous leaflets encouraging them to oppose the plans with a guide on how to word the objection. Those leaflets had nothing to do with Cllr Gibbs.
Zahed Amanullah, from the Harrogate Islamic Association, told the Stray Ferret:
“We appreciate that our application has drawn significant attention and have pledged to respond to any concerns.
“But we’ve also had people misrepresent us before through leaflets to residents and we’d ask anyone concerned to speak with us directly. We have nothing to hide.”
The HIA was established in 2011 and has been looking for a permanent place to convert into a mosque for years. Other attempts to find a home have fallen through.
Around 100 worshippers currently meet in the Quakers’ Friends Meeting House on Queen Parade.
A council spokesperson said:
Harrogate Islamic Association hopes to see off anti-mosque campaign“The council has a Planning Code of Good Practice for members and officers. Elected members are entitled to take an interest in planning applications outside of their ward.”
Harrogate Islamic Association has said it is confident of seeing off an anti-mosque campaign fronted by a Bristol-based planning expert who calls himself the “Mosquebuster”.
Gavin Boby takes credit for the rejection of 47 out of 73 planning applications for UK mosques he has contested in the last 10 years.
In his latest video, Mr Boby said plans to convert the former Home Guard club on Harrogate’s Tower Street into a mosque “get under his skin”. He then goes on to make comments about the plan many would deem to be Islamophobic.
Mr Boby, who according to the Daily Mail has the support of the far-right English Defence League, suggests that people emphasise concerns about parking, traffic and pollution when objecting to plans for the mosque.
Since the start of the anti-mosque campaign, households across Harrogate have reported receiving leaflets through their doors encouraging them to oppose the plans with a guide on how to word the objection.
Read more:
- Harrogate’s first Mosque could open at former Home Guard club
- Harrogate’s Muslim community raises £85,000 for first Mosque
Harrogate Islamic Association, which is behind the plans for the new mosque, which would be the first in the Harrogate district, has received one of the leaflets and addressed the concerns raised on its social media channels.
Zahed Amanullah, from HIA, told the Stray Ferret:
“Harrogate is a tolerant and welcoming place. That is why we live here and why I do not think a campaign like this will work here.
“For the most part when we have seen comments from Harrogate residents they are supportive. It’s people from outside the area who seem to object the most.
“I think this campaign and these leaflets will backfire on those who oppose the mosque. Residents who have received a leaflet have been in touch to tell us that they will now officially support our plans.”
The consultation period for the mosque plans on Harrogate Borough Council’s planning portal ends on Sunday, February 6.
50 years of Henshaws College in Harrogate but much work still to doAs Henshaws celebrates the progress it has made for those with learning difficulties and disabilities in the past 50 years, the current principal believes there is much work still to do.
The Duchess of Kent , pictured, opened the college in 1971 when it was smaller and only for people with visual impairments. The college and attitudes have changed significantly since that day.
Today the charity welcomes a more diverse range of people, including those aged 16 to 25 with a range of sensory impairments, autism, physical disabilities, learning difficulties and specialist healthcare needs.
Coronavirus forced more muted anniversary celebrations, with students learning how to sign happy birthday in Makaton and creating art to express their feelings about the milestone.
Adrian Sugden, the current principal, is proud of the legacy and has big plans for the future. He told the Stray Ferret:
“I think Harrogate has a strong connection with Henshaws. Just in the three years I have been here I have seen that connection only grow stronger. We get much more support.
“It is lovely taking the students into Harrogate. They all wear their lanyards to say where they are from and they get lots of recognition.
“Lots of the local businesses are much more supportive as well. Not as many as I would like, I want to get more companies accepting students for work experience.
“I have seen people’s awareness of disabilities improving. They are starting to see our students as people who can contribute positively even though they have complex needs.”

Jono Lancaster (right) and Principal Adrian Sugden (left) presented graduating students with their certificates.
The last couple of years with coronavirus has been difficult for Henshaws. While the college remained open throughout thanks to the commitment of staff, the charity has struggled.
Last year the Stray Ferret reported how Henshaws made the decision to close its supported living supported living services and residential services, which were taken by North Yorkshire County Council and Homes Together.
Mr Sugden pointed to a problem with the way the college is funded. As it is classed as independent it cannot access government or council funding so when it needs money the only way is through fundraising or increasing fees.
Read more:
- Henshaws to close homes service for disabled by October
- Henshaws arts and craft centre to reopen thanks to £100,000 grant
- New provider to take on Henshaws residential services
One of the things Mr Sugden has enjoyed seeing is the increasing number of opportunities for students in Harrogate.
Not only is there Hopkins for those with learning difficulties and disabilities. Harrogate Skills 4 Living Centre opened its Harrogate Chocolate Factory cafe earlier this year and Artizen is also planning to open a cafe. He added:
‘Ambitious plans’ for new Knaresborough leisure centre revealed“It’s really positive to see that progress but sadly we are following America’s lead on this. I am doing a really interesting piece of work with Harrogate College on this at the moment.
“I am also a believer in job carving, where our students could do one type of job which they enjoy at many different businesses. That way our students could make an incredible contribution.
“When you look at the national statistics of people with disabilities going into employment, it’s frighteningly low. If we could improve that in Harrogate the town could become a leading example.
Harrogate Borough Council has revealed how its proposed new multi-million pound leisure centre in Knaresborough will look.
The council plans to build the new facility on the site of Knaresborough Pool on King James Road by spring 2023.
The new centre will have a six-lane, 25-metre pool, learner pool with flume, sauna and steam room, fitness suite and studio and spin studio.
Designs also show that it will have a café, electric car charging points, bicycle storage and a large play area.
The council has said it would prefer to build the centre towards the rear of the existing pool, where the play park is currently located, rather than build on Fysche field.
Knaresborough Pool would remain open throughout construction. When the new building opens, the council would demolish the existing pool and create a new play area in its place.

An aerial view of the plans.
However, the council is keeping the option of building on Fysche field on the table as “option B” under the plans.
If the council went ahead with building on Fysche field then it would create a new green space in place of Knaresborough Pool.
Some Knaresborough people are concerned Fysche field and the adjoining children’s playground area could be lost and have a launched a campaign to “protect central Knaresborough’s only recreational green space from being concreted over”.
Share your views on the Knaresborough leisure centre plans
The council has now asked for residents to share their views online ahead of a formal planning application. It will also host an in-person consultation at Knaresborough Pool on October 6 between 5pm and 8pm.
Cllr Stanley Lumley, Harrogate Borough Council’s cabinet member for culture, tourism and sport, and chair of the board of directors at Brimhams Active, said:
“We have ambitious plans to reduce the proportion of the population that are physically inactive but we can’t do this without investing in our facilities.
“This multi-million pound investment for Knaresborough will create a 21st century facility that provides fantastic opportunities for local people to move more, live well and feel great.
“Along with our new facility in Ripon and the redevelopment of the Hydro in Harrogate, as well as the districts other great leisure centres and pools, I hope people feel motivated, supported and inspired to stay active.”
Read more:
- Site revealed for new Knaresborough leisure centre
- Green Party attacks Knaresborough leisure centre plans
Mark Tweedie, managing director of Brimhams Active, said:
“Through the provision of fantastic modern leisure and wellness facilities and engaging, inclusive services we will be able to help many more people become active, lead healthier lifestyles and therefore live longer, more independent and happier lives.”
James Foley, commercial director for Alliance Leisure Services, said:
“The proposed transformation for Knaresborough has the capability to create a hugely positive impact within the community for generations to come.”
Backlash over search for locations
The current site was one of four options, along with Conyngham Hall, Knaresborough House and Hay-a-Park under consideration for the new leisure centre last year.
The council faced a backlash for considering Grade II* listed Conyngham Hall, with Knaresborough Civic Society among those opposing the move.
A Hands Off Conyngham Hall Grounds petition by the Harrogate and Knaresborough Liberal Democrats attracted more than 1,600 signatures.
First glimpse at ‘exciting’ plans for Boroughbridge community centrePlans for a new community centre in Boroughbridge have been unveiled as the town looks to serve its growing population.
Boroughbridge Town Council is behind the proposals for near the car park on Back Lane. It has asked residents to fill in a survey before May 14 to determine demand.
Such a project has been debated for many years. The council has said that it is now starting to become more of a reality.
While there is no timescale or cost just yet, the council hopes that government will help to fund it.
Read more:
- Campaigners protest against Harrogate Spring Water’s Pinewoods plans
- Will Lightwater Valley ever reopen rollercoaster The Ultimate?
The plans include a small sports hall, community event room, kitchen, public toilets, a new home for the council and tourist information point.
Boroughbridge Town Council has promised to build it in an eco-friendly, energy efficient way and also to not lose car parking spaces.
Cllr Peter Phillips, who has been working on the plans for the past year, told the Stray Ferret:
“Boroughbridge is a rapidly expanding community due to the accelerated home building programme in our area.
“Our population is expected to almost double over the next few years and we have no central community facility to cater for this.
“We need to ensure that these proposals are indeed what our community wishes to have.
“There are some fears and concerns which are fully understandable, but overall the feedback so far looking at around 80% in favour.”