Harrogate and Knaresborough‘s Conservative MP Andrew Jones has declined to say whether he will support the government’s Rwanda bill tomorrow.
The Safety of Rwanda Bill aims to block legal challenges that prevent deportation flights of asylum seekers from taking off. The government is bringing forward the bill after the Supreme Court ruled its previous attempt to send asylum seekers to Rwanda was unlawful.
The verdict triggered the resignation of Home Secretary Suella Braverman and has led to threats of a rebellion from the right of the Conservative Party, which fears the new bill does not go far enough.
At the same time, some more centrist Conservatives are concerned the bill ignores international law.
If the Conservatives lose the vote, it would be a serious blow to the authority of Prime Minister Rishi Sunak.
The Stray Ferret asked Mr Jones if he would vote in favour of the bill.
He replied:
“We should not think of the Rwanda bill in isolation. It is part of a number of measures designed to deter people from making the dangerous journey across the English Channel.
“Among these measures are new returns agreements with Albania, enhanced deals with the French authorities, greater support for asylum application processing and more besides. These measures have led to crossings coming down by a third this year already.”
Mr Jones went on to say he “will be looking closely at the bill and any amendments which might be selected for debate by the Speaker”, adding:
“When considering those amendments my thoughts will be about how we break the people smuggling gangs and, most importantly, how we stop the grim certainty of more fatalities in our coastal waters.
“This issue is not confined to the UK; we see it again and again in the Mediterranean too. Breaking these gangs requires an international effort and I know we are working closely with partners on how this is done to the best effect.”
Read more:
- Liberal Democrat councillor chosen as next Harrogate charter mayor
- ‘Two in one’burglars strike in Harrogate
Home Office accused of ‘disgraceful actions’ over Linton asylum plan
A Conservative-led council has voiced fury after the Home Office announced it had moved forward plans to open a centre for asylum seekers on the edge of the Harrogate district.
A meeting of Hambleton District Council heard claims the Home Office had treated the residents of Linton-on-Ouse and the surrounding area with “complete contempt” by revealing that 60 people would be arriving at the centre in the isolated village from May 31, weeks earlier than it previously stated.
The centre will be just 10 miles from Boroughbridge and 13 miles from Knaresborough, and on the doorstep of Harrogate district villages such as Nun Monkton, Great Ouseburn and Green Hammerton.
Ministers have insisted the centre, at a former RAF training base, will “provide safe and self-sufficient accommodation”.
They say the centre, where Prince William trained as a pilot, will help end the Home Office’s reliance on expensive hotels, which are costing the taxpayer £4.7million a day.
The authority’s leader, Cllr Mark Robson, said during a meeting with the police and crime commissioner, Thirsk and Malton MP Kevin Hollinrake that the Home Office’s announcement had come as “a bit of a bombshell”.
He said:
“What we were told four to six weeks just before Easter has suddenly become two weeks time.
“I’m in no doubt about how much worry and concern there is in the local community and the surrounding areas about this proposal from government.”
He said the authority was working to get answers about the situation as quickly as it could. Cllr Robson the authority had appointed a legal team and was anticipating receiving advice imminently.
Read more:
-
Ouseburn councillor: ‘pause thoughtless Linton asylum centre’
-
Village on fringes of Harrogate district to house asylum seekers
The council leader said elected members and officers had been “in constant and robust dialogue” with the Home Office, and that the council was expecting a response to the council’s concerns later this week.
Cllr Robson said:
“We have, in the strongest possible terms, asked that the Home Office pause this proposal immediately to allow for consultation to be carried out and are awaiting the response to this ask.
“Officers and members continue to take part in multi-agency meetings and support and work closely with the local community and surrounding areas. Although frustrating and concerning, it is very important that what we do now doesn’t prejudice any outcome from the legal process.”
‘Goalposts have changes again’
Linton-on-Ouse Cllr Malcolm Taylor said while the community was looking for answers, there was now a “very tight window of opportunity” to take action. He said:
“The goalposts have been changed yet again by the Home Office and I think it is absolutely regrettable and disgraceful the way this Home Office has treated the residents not just of Linton-on-Ouse but the wider community and this council and everybody who is an interested party in this. We need to get answers and we need to get them very quickly.”
Local member Cllr Nigel Knapton added:
Ouseburn councillor: ‘pause thoughtless Linton asylum centre’“They are playing games with us and it is absolutely disgraceful.”
The new Green Party county councillor for Ouseburn, Arnold Warneken, has called for a pause in ‘thoughtless and careless’ plans to house 1,500 asylum seekers in Linton-on-Ouse.
The government is pushing forward with its plan to house 1,500 asylum seekers for up to six months in a ‘reception centre’ at Linton-on-Ouse.
The site closed in 2020 after being used by the RAF for almost a century.
Although located in Hambleton, the site is only about a mile from the Harrogate district, on the other side of the River Ouse.
It’s close to villages Great Ouseburn, Little Ouseburn and Nun Monkton, which are all part of Cllr Warneken’s new division.
The asylum seekers will not be prisoners and will be free to leave the centre. Cllr Warneken said he is concerned services in the villages will not be able to cope.
Cllr Warneken, who won his seat last week by over 700 votes, said:
“The plan needs to have the brakes put on it. Rural locations are losing shops, pubs and post offices.
“The government has not looked at what the asylum seekers need, whether that’s religious or cultural things or food. They are not prisoners, they are victims.
“The centre will be twice the size of Linton-on-Ouse, three times the size of Great Ouseburn and eight times the size of Little Ouseburn. It’s not been thought through and is careless.”
Read more:
- Stunning Green win in Ouseburn sets blueprint for future collaborations
- Village on fringes of Harrogate district to house asylum seekers
Cllr Warneken said ‘99.9%’ of residents in the villages are “compassionate and understanding about the issue”.
But he fears the centre, which has been dubbed “Guantanamo-on-Ouse” by a Lib Dem councillor, could become a target for far-right protestors.
He added:
“I’ve been out talking to people who were concerned this week. They are saying it’s not right for the asylum seekers or the community.”
Migration crisis
The government has said it hopes the changes will help it crack down on people-smuggling gangs.
According to the BBC, 28,526 people are known to have crossed the channel in small boats in 2021, up from 8,404 in 2020.
Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said:
Village on fringes of Harrogate district to house asylum seekers“The global migration crisis and how we tackle illegal migration requires new world-leading solutions. There are an estimated 80 million people displaced in the world and the global approach to asylum and migration is broken.
“Existing approaches have failed and there is no single solution to tackle these problems. Change is needed because people are dying attempting to come to the UK illegally.”
The former RAF base at Linton-on-Ouse will be used to house asylum seekers, the government has announced today.
It’s part of a controversial Home Office plan to send asylum seekers to Rwanda to have their asylum claims processed.
Before potentially being flown out to the African country, asylum seekers will be held in ‘reception centres’ across the UK for up to six months, with the first announced being at Linton-on-Ouse.
The site closed in 2020 after being used by the RAF for almost a century. It was most recently used as a jet training facility and Prince William trained there.
Although located in Hambleton, it is only about a mile from the Harrogate district, on the other side of the River Ouse. It’s close to villages Thorpe Underwood, Little Ouseburn and Nun Monkton.
Kevin Hollinrake, MP for Thirsk and Malton, said in a statement he had been assured by the immigration minister that the time limit for any asylum seekers to remain at the site will be 180 days
Read more:
- Rodent droppings found in kitchen of Harrogate care home
- Review into how Harrogate’s ‘underused’ Stray can be better used for events
The government said it hopes the changes will help it “crack down” on people-smuggling gangs.
According to the BBC, 28,526 people are known to have crossed the channel in small boats in 2021, up from 8,404 in 2020.
Home Secretary, Priti Patel, said:
“The global migration crisis and how we tackle illegal migration requires new world-leading solutions. There are an estimated 80 million people displaced in the world and the global approach to asylum and migration is broken.
“Existing approaches have failed and there is no single solution to tackle these problems. Change is needed because people are dying attempting to come to the UK illegally.
The proposal has been criticised by human rights groups and opposition political parties.
Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper called the proposals a “shameful announcement meant to distract from Boris Johnson’s recent law-breaking”.
She added:
“It is an unworkable, unethical and extortionate policy that would cost the UK taxpayer billions of pounds during a cost of living crisis and would make it harder not easier to get fast and fair asylum decisions.”