When Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamen, he invited Harrogate jeweller James Ogden to the Valley of the Kings as part of his team of experts and Ogden was one of the first people to visit inside.
Did you know Harrogate has a fascinating connection to the tomb of Tutankhamen, which was discovered 100 years ago this month? Harrogate Library has shared the story behind King Tut and James Ogden, who opened the jewellers in Harrogate in 1893. According to...
A book looking into Harrogate’s Edwardian past has been published by a local historian. The book looks into the lives of working-class people during the period in the early 1900’s.
Retro adverts available to view at Harrogate Library range from luxurious quilts made at the Dunlopillo factory in Pannal to swimming at the long-demolished Coppice Valley pool. They also include staples of the 1970s and 80s, such as Carringtons nightclub and Pinocchio’s restaurant.
The bodies of Lance Corporal Stanley Blakeborough, 21, from Pateley Bridge and Private Harry Miller, 28, a farm labourer from Burton Leonard, were among nine discovered during engineering work in Belgium.
Diane Leather, who attended Harrogate Ladies’ College, became the first woman to run a sub five-minute mile in 1954 — but only received a fraction of the acclaim given to Roger Bannister when he ran the first sub-four-minute mile 23 days earlier.
Private Sannosuke Nishimura’s story reveals attitudes towards immigrants at the time, and how a pandemic cruelly cut short the lives of men who were returning from First World War battlefields.
Plumpton Rocks in Harrogate is no longer deemed ‘at risk’ after the hard work of staff meant its restoration was a success. However, there are still 14 sites in the district on the ‘at risk’ register meaning they could be lost forever.
The bombing of Harrogate’s Majestic Hotel in 1940 is to be brought to life in a new play by a Pateley Bridge playwright. ‘The Stray’, will be performed by Harrogate Dramatic Society next weekend.
Crowds gathered on the streets of Ripon this morning, to watch the Royal Engineers on a march that marks their Freedom of the City
St Wilfrid’s Catholic church is holding four heritage open days after a £500,000 restoration. Joseph Hansom was the architect of the grade II* listed building and Edward Pugin designed the reredos.
For nearly a thousand years Ripon’s Chapel of St Mary Magdalen has survived numerous pandemics, while helping the poorly and poverty stricken. Modern day visitors are welcome
Ripon’s stylish Edwardian Spa Quarter which is destined for redevelopment, has been put in the spotlight by the city’s civic society.